PDA

View Full Version : Setup Question - Remove Sheriff?

dga
May 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hi there,

first... great great mod. Im so addicted as 2 friends are that I got in. ;)

I got into setups and refining all day long. Now I think it is pretty cool and balanced (inspiration from Bazar's Choice).
Now I want your opinion and suggestion on the Sheriff. These are experiences from over a few games.

1. "Sheriff can detect Mafia - ON" -> made the sheriff sooo OP. All Mafia dead in first 4-5 nights. Cause Sheriff detected them all. (maybe a lot of luck involved)
2. "Sheriff can detect Mafia - OFF" -> Better, but renders the Sheriff pretty useless after SK or Arsonist is gone 90% of the time.

So I am thinking about removing the static Sheriff and replace it with static Lookout (preferred) or Detective, cause I think these would balance the setup out very very well.

But Im "afraid" that all the people (many ppl are horrible) will cry and many will leave, cause they consider it "meta game" having a Sheriff.

What is your thoughts?

Thanks,
dga

trineroks
May 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't see how sheriff can be so overpowered. The example you got with "Detect mafia on" seemed to be either pure luck or just some stupid play by the mafia. The goal of the sheriff is to see whether or not a player is a member of the mafia, after all. It's one of the 4 base roles (the other 3 being mafioso, doctor, and villager).

creedkingsx
May 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't have a sheriff in my save. I utilize the other investigative roles.

trineroks
May 3rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
And you can always make your own custom setups without the sheriff, so I don't see what the problem is here.

dga
May 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
I think the problem with my first example (Mafia detection - ON) is also, that in public games people tend to call out "I am Sheriff, Player X is mafia" and the whole town voting like sheeps on Day1 or Day2. (happens too often)

If there were better players and not so many random voters out there, the problem wouldn't exist. People also random vote on Day1/2 if there could be an Executioner calling one out.
Sheriff should collect clues (also in his last will) over a few days and then come out.

@trineroks yeah I'm talking about my custom setup. My problem is that ppl consider the Sheriff "standard game" and leave when I remove him. So I was looking for opinions on the Sheriff-setup

creedkingsx
May 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
@trineroks yeah I'm talking about my custom setup. My problem is that ppl consider the Sheriff "standard game" and leave when I remove him. So I was looking for opinions on the Sheriff-setup

People don't leave from mine. I don;t have a Doctor either, and I have a Random Any. People don't pay that much attention.

dga
May 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Well. I will give it a go then ;)

Luna
May 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
I agree that Sheriffs are a bit boring - most people hate playing as the sheriff but like having them on their team.

A lot of the 'meta' with the Sheriff is boring too. It seems almost all jesters, trolls, executioners, etc. all claim sheriff. As an Executioner I *never* claim Sheriff if I can avoid it; you have a 90% better chance of getting your target lynched if you claim Detective, because no one bothers claiming Detective.

You'll probably get criticism no matter what your setup is, but having a confirmed Lookout is a good substitute. Pubs want to know that there's SOME form of confirmed investigative role and the Lookout is a cool role.

dga
May 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Here are the reactions from the first game without a sheriff. http://imgur.com/a/bO2B8

TOWN WON on a nice clue based game...they still complained. But i wont care for now ;)

JSaint
May 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Sheriff usually declares and dies with stupid town after revealing self.

Framers, Witches and Noob Drivers also tend to mess up investigative roles. GF,Consigliere and Disguiser are immune to detection. Sheriff does not detect a witch either.

It can die and be killed at night, it can be lynched when it makes a mistake from framers, there are two kills a night from sk and mafia. It can be blackmailed and role blocked.

Why is it OP?

trineroks
May 3rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
SPEAKING of noob drivers....

Anyone else think Bus Driver is more anti-town than it is town?

JSaint
May 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Bus Driver is just added for teh LuLz in my opinion.

Like if he stays until the end, and a mafia member was run over by a bus. It puts you in a state of shock when you thought you'd lose for sure.

Like... the naked man!

Most clever towns hint and keep saying "thank you mr bus driver" over their posts to let people know they are bussed. But it gets hard on a random for people to believe u and determine that. And if the bus driver keeps quiet, and the townie keeps quiet... and then invest says he's mafia... shit starts happening.

dga
May 4th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Sheriff usually declares and dies with stupid town after revealing self.
Why is it OP?

Well what I experienced is, that sheriff doesnt get killed after revealing on Day2 because he accused the right mafia.
So if the mafia kills him next night its obvious who mafia is.
In theory sheriff is not OP. But it turned out OP often in my games, maybe out of luck. All mafia dead after Day4,5

SayGen
May 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM
The solution is to play in-house games.
Fix your friend lsit with good mafia players and invite them to games that YOU host.

Claire_Stanfield
May 5th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Nobody cries about lookout and detective instead of investigator and sheriff in my setups so it should be ok, but maybe they just don't care because they are busy crying about no gf.

Theroux
May 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I Hate being sheriff...he's broken, can't detect Witches, GFs, or Framers, and dies easily. Remove it or change the name I guess.

Also if there is a Bus Driver, Sheriff is WORTHLESS just like the other investigative roles.