PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Alignment/Roletype during setup/name selection.

tearshed
June 9th, 2011, 05:09 AM
As topic title. During either setup, or name selection phase (an extra dropdown box would make sense here), a player can choose their preferred Alignment (Town/Mafia/Neutral), and/or roletype (power/support, basic/advanced).

I believe this will increase the enjoyment of mafia games for players, as they will have some influence on the RNG on the type of role they will get. Depending on the players mood when the game is starting, they could want to play different or specific styles. This could also reduce the amount of players leaving a game when they get a role they really don't like.

Personally, I think the survivor is a really cool role but I've seen plenty of people leave straight off the bat or complain when they get it. That's the sort of behavior that has inspired me to make this suggestion. Don't just assume everyone will all pile on the mafia or neutral sides.

Membrax
June 9th, 2011, 05:45 AM
not again xD

http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,170.0.html

tearshed
June 9th, 2011, 06:45 AM
There's an entire new page of suggestions every day, I wasn't aware a similar concept has been discussed.

Anyway, this is merely a 'preference', or a general direction, not a specific choice/role. No harm done if you don't get what you want, (i.e. power instead of support), and satisfaction of getting something you intended. This is a suggestion to help prevent leavers and allow for smoother games.

Membrax
June 9th, 2011, 07:09 AM
There's an entire new page of suggestions every day, I wasn't aware a similar concept has been discussed.

Anyway, this is merely a 'preference', or a general direction, not a specific choice/role. No harm done if you don't get what you want, (i.e. power instead of support), and satisfaction of getting something you intended. This is a suggestion to help prevent leavers and allow for smoother games.

Oh, sorry if it sounded like a reproach, it wasn't my goal. It's just that this particular debate was kinda heated ;)

Zack
June 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I still stand by that suggestion I made :P

People already prefer certain roles over others, they just don't have the ability to increase their chances of getting it.

What we need perhaps, is a selection: one "prefered role" and one "anti-role". To set them you'd have to go single player and input them as commands that will be saved into your bank file. This setting will gear you towards your prefered role, and if not possible, then prefered alignment, not 100% but better chances than without it. The "anti-role" setting will try to steer you off getting that one role you hate beyond anything else, for me that would be Doctor fyi - i'd rather be Citizen or even Mason than being doc, lol.

If not the preferance, then please just the "anti-role". We get only one choice for it! Just one role to stay clear off. Now, I imagine the mainstream players will put Citizen as their choice, or Mason, either way... If too many people pick the same anti-role then someone will still end up being what he doesn't want to be, can't be helped. But we need something!

FalseTruth
June 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I read the other topic, and frankly I don't think any of the arguments made against this suggestion are valid.

I suggest you all open up the custom map list, and click on game phantom. Phantom has a start screen where everyone can vote on their preferences to be a good guy or a bad guy. If this method works perfectly fine for a less attractive game, I don't understand why people would leave in Mafia.

I believe most of you are referring to a potential psychological problem that you think players will face. That by giving the people a preference, you believe they become more likely to leave if they don't get what they want.

But is this really how it works?

What you don't consider is that this implementation may actually reduce the amount of leavers.

Our current situation is that in every game, a bunch of people are assigned roles they dislike. Some people read citizen or doc and start trolling and say, "kill me now omfg i hate this role" and basically ruin the game for everyone else.

In the hypothetical situation that we implement this change, the scenario could possibly be better.

The one guy in the group of 14 that absolutely loves to be a doctor because he enjoys saving lives can be a doctor whenever he wants. Because of this, that slot is filled up, and everyone else doesn't have to deal with that role.
Of course, many people may pick to be something cool like arson and not get it. They will get another role, just like normal games, so nothing would change in that respect.

This method works because the minority gets what it wants and the majority has a say in what it wants. Everyone involved benefits in some way or another.

Lysergic
June 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I agree with FalseTruth; I would LOVE to see this implemented. Just last night, I was in a game about to start, and all I could think about is how I wanted to get Spy. Instead I got Doctor. This feature would give me the ability to both prefer Spy and avoid Doc. I feel like a lot of people who are violently opposed to Citizen would put that, and thus a lot of people who might have gotten Citizen and left will instead get a different role and hopefully stay. I really don't see the downside to this.

The_Animus
June 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I think this should be implemented as well. Roles are still random. No one will know who anyone else is. It will result in people getting to try different roles and getting roles they actually want to play more often. It must just be a statistical anomaly but I get doctor or sheriff like 9 out of 10 games I play. I'm so sick of it, which is why I'm getting bored of the game and have cut back on playing.

Make a checklist with town, mafia, neutral, power, basic, support, etc. Uncheck the box if you don't want to play that type. This way I could uncheck basic town and stop always getting those roles.

tearshed
June 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM
1.83 - 1.86 Mafia:
- Arsonist dousing masking investigations is now an option
- Various fixes
- Investigator descriptions updated
- Role randomization now favors roles you have not played often
Now that's a step in a good direction!