PDA

View Full Version : The Arsonist(Minor Changes)

FalseTruth
June 9th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Note: This suggestion is primarily a request from me, not a balance problem for the game.

I have been hosting some in house games with a setup of 8 town(mostly power roles), a godfather, 2 adv mafia, an SK, arson, and rand neu(surv,jest,exec only).

In the recent past, it has been working great. Mafia and town wins have been evenly split, and sk and arson win a decent amount of games.

Today, I hosted 3-4 times with the above setup, and town lost soundly all of the times to an arson win.

Many complained about a new buff to arson in which doused people are investigated as smelling of gas 50% of the time. I personally do not know when this was implemented because no invest in any of my games has ever accused people of being arson and been wrong.

I personally feel that this random chance of detection should be removed from the game. I do see how it can put arson on equal footing with the SK in more standard setups, but it seems too luck based.

Mafia should be a game of skill and methodical elimination. With this in place, arson becomes a role which just prays that someone he doused is detected before he is. Now, all players are expected to know that the people investigators see as having gas may be bd, arson, or a random doused person.

At the very least, a host option to allow doused to be detected as gas should be available. For hosts who want a more standard setup, they can use this small buff to increase the probability that arson survives longer. For hosts that would prefer a strong investigator, they can remove this option.

Goonswarm
June 9th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Note: This suggestion is primarily a request from me, not a balance problem for the game.

I have been hosting some in house games with a setup of 8 town(mostly power roles), a godfather, 2 adv mafia, an SK, arson, and rand neu(surv,jest,exec only).

In the recent past, it has been working great. Mafia and town wins have been evenly split, and sk and arson win a decent amount of games.

Today, I hosted 3-4 times with the above setup, and town lost soundly all of the times to an arson win.

Many complained about a new buff to arson in which doused people are investigated as smelling of gas 50% of the time. I personally do not know when this was implemented because no invest in any of my games has ever accused people of being arson and been wrong.

I personally feel that this random chance of detection should be removed from the game. I do see how it can put arson on equal footing with the SK in more standard setups, but it seems too luck based.

Mafia should be a game of skill and methodical elimination. With this in place, arson becomes a role which just prays that someone he doused is detected before he is. Now, all players are expected to know that the people investigators see as having gas may be bd, arson, or a random doused person.

At the very least, a host option to allow doused to be detected as gas should be available. For hosts who want a more standard setup, they can use this small buff to increase the probability that arson survives longer. For hosts that would prefer a strong investigator, they can remove this option.

Did not even know this change went into effect. Holy shit that is absurd. Nothing should be chance based other than jester death type things. I would beg for a option to turn this off.

Zack
June 9th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I don't think thats possible... Either there was a bus driver switching people, or the invest simply checked bus drivers, or a witch was present and messing with investigators.

There is no random factor for night actions in Mafia as far as I know.

wightsnow
June 9th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I don't think thats possible... Either there was a bus driver switching people, or the invest simply checked bus drivers, or a witch was present and messing with investigators.

There is no random factor for night actions in Mafia as far as I know.

http://wiki.thecouncilofmages.com/index.php?title=Investigator#Notes

It's also in the patch notes on the help tab in game.

Zack
June 9th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Are you serious? This change is not required, and is even overpowered for Arsonist to have...

If you want Arso to be stronger in your games there is already the option of making him immune at night and making sheriff unable to find him. Why add this as well? If its there it should be an option for hosts to decide.

This makes Investigator completely unreliable in a game with an Arsonist. I really don't like this change.

Dark.Revenant
June 9th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I originally included it to see how long it would take people to notice.

Next update, whenever it is, converts it to an option.

FalseTruth
June 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks DR.

Krismighty
June 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Nice. Well Ihardly see arson win and find it really hard to win. But after the doused invested change arson became a bit op. Idk how but arson needs to be between OP and sucky.

McJesus
June 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I originally included it to see how long it would take people to notice.

Next update, whenever it is, converts it to an option.

Troll, lol. Havn't been investigator but I saw one get lynched for false claiming arsonist. I thought he was just stupid but I saw it in the wiki.