PDA

View Full Version : Is this political?

DJarJar
November 14th, 2020, 06:37 PM

MartinGG99
November 14th, 2020, 07:14 PM
Depends on the definition you're going with. By the first definition, yes.

https://i.imgur.com/erpvcRQ.jpg

Renegade
November 14th, 2020, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately it is.

Thoughts and prayers, for he will deliver us!

Helz
November 14th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Everything is these days.

A better question would be who will use it for their profit first imo.

FrostByte
November 14th, 2020, 10:00 PM
It shouldn't be but it's kind of impossible to avoid the political implications of it

Marshmallow Marshall
November 15th, 2020, 12:08 AM
Thank you for posting a graph with no title nor context or premise
To be fair, noone in the world should need further context lol

It shouldn't be but it's kind of impossible to avoid the political implications of it

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/200520124848-20200520-trump-religion-super-tease.jpg

rumox
November 15th, 2020, 01:54 AM
Whether it's good or bad data of covid, it will inherently be political because of the actions governments have taken (or not taken) to control it.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 02:53 AM
I’m guessing that its a jab at people who dont think covid is as serious as its made out to be. Which, a graph with the number of deaths would be better for this purpose. Although still potentially misleading.

rumox
November 15th, 2020, 04:13 AM
But what's the question? What's the premise? I don't know where BBmirus wants to direct the conversation because of a graph.

I'd say aamirus has done this as a soft "bait" thread to see if people draw lines in the sand in regards to the data.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

I think graphs like that are better representation of what's going on with covid. Really illustrates where states/countries are at with their fight against the pandemic.

oops_ur_dead
November 15th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Ok LIBTARDS let's look at the facts and the logic here.

According to Google, we humans have about 30 trillion cells in our body, and about 100 million cells die per day. That means about 0.3% of our bodies die per day. But only about 0.07% of the entire US dies per day of COVID. That means that our body's NATURAL CELL DEATH every day is 4 times as much as COVID. But I don't see snowflake liberals trying to cancel biology, do you???????

Pick up a textbook sometime, MORONS !!

oops_ur_dead
November 15th, 2020, 06:15 AM
Dumbfucks are trying to pretend that COVID-19 is a big deal, meanwhile you look at the actual number of deaths and... well...

https://i.imgur.com/yj4HPoW.png

Doesn't seem that bad now does it, libs???

Helz
November 15th, 2020, 08:25 AM
I think we should 'protest' about it. I saw Best Buy has a new 1000 inch TV in stock.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Ok LIBTARDS let's look at the facts and the logic here.

According to Google, we humans have about 30 trillion cells in our body, and about 100 million cells die per day. That means about 0.3% of our bodies die per day. But only about 0.07% of the entire US dies per day of COVID. That means that our body's NATURAL CELL DEATH every day is 4 times as much as COVID. But I don't see snowflake liberals trying to cancel biology, do you???????

Pick up a textbook sometime, MORONS !!
What the fuck does this even mean?

Helz
November 15th, 2020, 08:47 AM

He is talking about how swimming pools kill an average of 12 people each day in America so we need to rally together to fill in all the swimming pools. Think about the children! Gun violence can wait!

Helz
November 15th, 2020, 08:52 AM

For real though. This is the 'post your favorite strawman' thread.

I think its important that we talk about fake arguments that reinforce our own beliefs to polarize political views.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 10:10 AM
This gave me an idea.
If one wanted to limit the spread of a flu-like epidemic, looking at the factors that determine the probability that an individual would get the flu could provide an insight into the steps that ought to be taken. For example, hygiene, population density, average temperature, coverage of public transport, average distance from the supermarket, being young (specifically >= 15 <= 30), spending habits at the supermarket (do you buy enough food for an entire week, or do you go shopping everyday), unique genetic mutations that could raise/lower the probability of catching the flu, the presence of a university research hospital etc. could all affect the spread. I wonder if a study has ever been done into this. It could be interesting to see if any factors, in any/all combinations could predict the infection rate.

I am guessing these kinds of studies could be done in more normal times to give hospital administrators/etc the ability to better respond in these kinds of situations (perhaps by reinforcing infrastructure in places where theres more infections?).

I’m curious what factors contribute.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 10:13 AM
He is talking about how swimming pools kill an average of 12 people each day in America so we need to rally together to fill in all the swimming pools. Think about the children! Gun violence can wait!
Can we put all disrespectful, loyd kids and their parents in swimming pools, in that case?

oops_ur_dead
November 15th, 2020, 10:14 AM
You've described the entire field of epidemiology.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 10:17 AM
For real though. This is the 'post your favorite strawman' thread.

I think its important that we talk about fake arguments that reinforce our own beliefs to polarize political views.
Btw, do you think that people actually reinforce their own beliefs by ‘strawmanning’ arguments? They may just be trying to discredit the other person’s arguments by doing that.
i’m assuming you’re talking about the posta above. If you are not, let me know.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 10:25 AM
You've described the entire field of epidemiology.
I’m aware. Just not convinced this has been tried to any real degree since most of the responses worldwide to the epidemic have been so mono-dimensional. Most have only talked about Masks and Social Diatancing and not at all about other potential factors. I see these moves as primarily cosmetic, intendes more as a trinket display from governments rather than anything truly attempting to solve problems. Especially seeing as the measures suggested/enforced are so trivial that it doesn’t take more than 5 seconds to arrive at them.

For example. I have just come back home from the Netherlands and when I landed, I was asked if I had been in any othee country apart from Germany in the past two weeks. I could easily have lied and said no and would literally have gotten away without having to go into isolation for 2 weeks.
Even more amusingly, I could have 20 negative covid tests taken in Germany and I would still have to quarantine. Likewise I could literally have Covid and not know it but could go out if I had only been in Germany.

Interwstingly, truck drivers are exempt from quarantine and from isolation in many places. Cosmetic measures.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 10:27 AM
I forgot to add something: I have to go into isolation but other people can come into and out of the house.

oops_ur_dead
November 15th, 2020, 10:49 AM
I’m aware. Just not convinced this has been tried to any real degree since most of the responses worldwide to the epidemic have been so mono-dimensional. Most have only talked about Masks and Social Diatancing and not at all about other potential factors. I see these moves as primarily cosmetic, intendes more as a trinket display from governments rather than anything truly attempting to solve problems. Especially seeing as the measures suggested/enforced are so trivial that it doesn’t take more than 5 seconds to arrive at them.

For example. I have just come back home from the Netherlands and when I landed, I was asked if I had been in any othee country apart from Germany in the past two weeks. I could easily have lied and said no and would literally have gotten away without having to go into isolation for 2 weeks.
Even more amusingly, I could have 20 negative covid tests taken in Germany and I would still have to quarantine. Likewise I could literally have Covid and not know it but could go out if I had only been in Germany.

Interwstingly, truck drivers are exempt from quarantine and from isolation in many places. Cosmetic measures.

These measures are all being informed by epidemiologists, combined with political/legal/economic practicalities. I'm not sure what your point is.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 10:58 AM
They’re very poorly thought out. They’re so simplistic and single-minded that a mere child could come up with them. I seriously doubt that people have put any thought into this at all or they would at least be considering alternatives/the negative aspects if those measures more carefully. IMO the only reason they are so popular even now is because people in charge crapped their pants back in March and took the first and simplest decision they could think of just so they wouldn’t lose their clout/popularity with the people who voted them in. And the reason why theyre still in place now is because the people in charge don’t want to admit they’re idiots who have absolutely no clue what they’re doing, and because admitting there was no need for a lockdown could kill theie career.

Oberon
November 15th, 2020, 11:00 AM
Imagine being told that being forced into isolation and losing your job due to it was a move that was not actually useful.
I would never want to vote that person again. Ever.

oops_ur_dead
November 15th, 2020, 11:01 AM
But they're thought out by doing epidemiological studies and combining that with what practically can be done. Do you have an alternative idea?

Helz
November 15th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Btw, do you think that people actually reinforce their own beliefs by ‘strawmanning’ arguments? They may just be trying to discredit the other person’s arguments by doing that.

I think those two things are one and the same. Persuasive arguments have targeted objectives of both changing peoples minds as well as insulating people from opposing persuasive arguments. I forget the formal structure for it but I remember studying it in a speech class I took in college. I recognize the processes most easily in religion but that may just be because I find religious persuasive rhetoric to be so absurd.