PDA

View Full Version : The difficult choice of the End of my Best Friends life.

SuperJack
August 10th, 2020, 01:09 PM
I've had my dog, Timmy, since I was 16 (12 years).
He is a mix between a Black Lab and an Irish Wolf.
He is my best friend and has helped me though difficult parts of my life and also been there for the best parts of my life.

I know it will eventually happen, but now it feels closer than ever.
He has Arthritis, the beginning of gum disease and a heart murmur. As well with being covered in fatty lumps.

Recently, we have noticed a new lump growing in his mouth. At a faster rate than normal.

So. We have been given a choice, of either paying for it all to be treated (In the thousand of £) and risk an operation which could go wrong due to his age, heart problems and it being in an area prone to infections. As well as the chance of discovering that its something worse.

Or, we do nothing. And watch this lump grow slowly, eventually stopping him from eating or getting infected.

There is no right choice, its horrible. And what makes me feel worse is that we've made a decision effectively deciding that he will die. (We choice the option to not operate and just enjoy what time we have left)

He isn't in pain yet or suffering and is still happy.
But I'm in a bit of a mess because I've accepted his death to come.

Renegade
August 10th, 2020, 01:52 PM
:(

deathworlds
August 10th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Death is something that comes for all things. This is a fact of life we must live with so let me reiterate.
All living beings will suffer to the forces of enthropy and perish. Nothing will last forever.
With this in mind, I hope what I have to say will help you out.

Life is precious, it's a literal once in a lifetime experience that we all share together. We all are given the oppertunity to explore our universe, to feel sensations such as happiness, cool ice cream, the wind, and love.

But that time is limited, and we can't change that, unless someone cures aging, which is a long shot but I'm not a doctor. Even then if we cure aging, if our most popular models of physics are correct, then the universe will eventually end in some form or another.

So if everything ends, and we all die, does anything we do matter? Well, yes and no.
The tallest of monuments will crumble
The most magnificent of literature shall be forgotten
Every human achievement will be either reduced to sand, or forgotten entirely.
The timeline for those things to happen may be unfathomable, but rest assured, dust and ash awaits everyone and everything at the inevitable heat death of the universe.
So why do anything? Nothing stands forever you may ask.
I propose this to you.
The sole purpose of life is to enjoy it however you can, feel things, literally and figuratively. For that's all we can do.
I'm going to make the assumption that you were a good companion to Timmy, and that you did your best to give him a good life, and he did his best to be such a wonderfully good boy. That's all either of you could have done.
I'm going to believe that Timmy had a good life so far, because I believe you would have gave him one. The seperation of you and Timmy is the unfortunate inevitable reality of life, but that's what makes the time you two spend with each other so precious. There is literally nothing more valuable than the little time us mortals have to experience things.

You and Timmy had good times so far together so far, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. It's okay to feel sad at the idea of losing a friend forever, it's okay to be mad at the universe for not being different, but it's also okay to be happy that you had the opportunity to be together.

I've dealt with my fair share of loss, so I hope what I had to say helped you at all. And if you're interested in my philosophy but want someone more eloquent than I to explain it, check out this six minute clip that became the foundation of my philosophy of life.

https://youtu.be/MBRqu0YOH14

Mesk514
August 10th, 2020, 02:37 PM
I am so heartbroken for you :( I'm so sorry.

naz
August 10th, 2020, 03:36 PM
That's so hard Superjack, sending all my love and for as much peace as possible

AIVION
August 10th, 2020, 04:00 PM
I know whats its like to lose a pet that's important to you like that... It hurts. All my Love and hearts to you. <3

blinkskater
August 10th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Sending love SJ.

HentaiManOfPeace
August 10th, 2020, 04:25 PM
Best wishes, SuperJack.

Marshmallow Marshall
August 10th, 2020, 07:45 PM
:( sorry for you and your dog. Hopefully you can enjoy good times with him for a while. Good luck.

Sylvanas
August 10th, 2020, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear. My cat about that age died about a month ago after her vomiting and weight loss apparently was misdiagnosed as stomach worms. She went from being chubby to skeletal in a matter of days and was drooling and had difficulties breathing when we had her euthanized. I'm still torn between trying not to think of it and feeling like I owe it to her not to try to forget. The worst thing with animals in my opinion, is how you can't fully communicate how much you care about them before they go. It feels unfinished and it's really hard to get over it.

Voss
August 10th, 2020, 08:00 PM
;(. Serious Discussion isn't supposed to be Feels Discussion.

Sorry for this SuperJack. Your dog (and you) don't deserve this.

yzb25
August 11th, 2020, 03:32 AM
Best wishes, and I hope you succeed in enjoying the remaining time with Timmy to the fullest.

SuperJack
January 5th, 2021, 04:27 AM
:( he's gone...

Oberon
January 5th, 2021, 04:34 AM
My condolences. I had to euthanize my cat as a kid so I know how hard it can be. At least he had a good life and a good master. That’s all a dog can ask for, lol.

Marshmallow Marshall
January 5th, 2021, 05:00 AM
:(

OzyWho
January 5th, 2021, 05:30 AM
Euthanasia is selfless and empathic. The act itself is amongst one of the purest expressions of love.

My condolences to your loss, and know that you've nothing to feel guilty about.

Do do share some of your favorite memories with Timmy plz. Lovely name btw. :D

yzb25
January 5th, 2021, 05:41 AM
my condolences man

Renegade
January 5th, 2021, 07:14 AM
I'm very sorry :(

My own pup just turned 14. He's a shih tzu/poodle mix, and seems healthy enough now, but every once in a while I dread the day that will come eventually.

Dogs bring us so much joy and happiness. I agree with Ozy, share some good memories.

AIVION
January 5th, 2021, 08:33 AM
I already gave you condolences earlier but have some more love from me <3

Relish the good memories and live a happy life, it's what he would of wanted :)