PDA

View Full Version : Determinism and Free Will

Ganelon
July 29th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Do you believe the universe is deterministic? If so, what does that mean for free will?
personally I strongly believe in determinism, and I think that free will can still exist in a deterministic world (although please don’t ask me to explain why)

yzb25
July 29th, 2020, 04:41 PM
If particles truly exhibit random behaviour on the quantum level then determinism is scientifically wrong. And at this point that very much seems to be the case, from what I understand.

Ganelon
July 29th, 2020, 04:43 PM
I was thinking of QM when I wrote that post.
its also entirely possible that we’ve reached the limits of human understanding (for now), and hence events that are actually deterministic (if you look hard enough) appear to be mostly random to us

Sylvanas
July 29th, 2020, 05:05 PM
QM? Quantum mechanics? Are you so familiar with that subject that you gave it a little nickname?

yzb25
July 29th, 2020, 05:09 PM
QM? Quantum mechanics? Are you so familiar with that subject that you gave it a little nickname?

It's a commonly used acronym :P

Ganelon
July 29th, 2020, 05:09 PM
I’m not familiar with it intimately, but it’s a fairly standard acronym iirc

yzb25
July 29th, 2020, 05:14 PM
I was thinking of QM when I wrote that post.
its also entirely possible that we’ve reached the limits of human understanding (for now), and hence events that are actually deterministic (if you look hard enough) appear to be mostly random to us

It's kinda interesting how unnatural the idea that the universe is governed by truly random phenomena is to human beings. I wonder whether that's based in some genuine insight or just something to do with how we're programmed.

yzb25
July 29th, 2020, 05:22 PM
It's kinda interesting how unnatural the idea that the universe is governed by truly random phenomena is to human beings. I wonder whether that's based in some genuine insight or just something to do with how we're programmed.

Like, my natural assumption was the same as yours that it's a deterministic process that currently appears random. I'm guessing that's most people's first guess

Sylvanas
July 29th, 2020, 06:29 PM
It's a commonly used acronym :P
Hm, maybe I don't spend enough time just kind of casually daydreaming about quantum mechanics like all the cool kids.

I think the universe is a random mess and so are we.

Ganelon
July 30th, 2020, 01:28 AM
good point.

rumox
July 30th, 2020, 02:16 AM
I see it as a blend. Determinism is macro and free will is micro kinda thing

rumox
July 30th, 2020, 02:39 AM
Our biology compels us to eat for example. How we eat or if we choose to eat is handled by free will.

Apocist
July 31st, 2020, 09:01 AM
Apo recommends you watch Devs