PDA

View Full Version : Hagia Sophia

yzb25
July 27th, 2020, 04:26 AM
Erdogan recently changed Hagia Sophia back to a mosque. Context: for 500 years approx., The Hagia Sophia was a very important church in Christianity. When the ottomans conquered Constantinople, they changed it to a mosque. When secularism swept through Turkey in the early 20th century, it was turned into a museum. Recently, Erdogan changed it back to a mosque as a middle finger to the EU for not letting Turkey join, and also to appeal to Turkish nationalism. Eastern Orthodoxy has not been happy about the decision.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? It's been all over Al Jazeera for a few days but the world seems a bit absorbed with COVID. Erdogan's stunt doesn't seem to be triggering the audience intended, so I guess I'll do my part xD.

P;edit for a 1000 years approx. It was Christian, actually. Just checked the Wikipedia page.

DJarJar
July 27th, 2020, 04:45 AM
Eh. It would primarily offend Orthodox christians and they're just not anywhere near as common as catholics and protestants. Plus i mean constantinople fell like 600 years ago lol

rumox
July 27th, 2020, 05:32 AM
As a person with a Roman fetish (I themed a FM based on the Roman Empire. Neutral was a Praetorian guard who were a type of Emperor (mayor) maker), Turkey are turd burglers.

Marshmallow Marshall
July 27th, 2020, 06:17 AM
Ay, a good topic lol.

Erdogan literally held a referendum to give him power and people accepted. (https://ommcomnews.com/world-news/erdogan-claims-victory-in-turkey-referendum) His government is based on nationalism, and that kind of spiteful nationalisitic move is fitting for his policies. I don't think he cares at all about Orthodoxs lol. It's not like Russia is going to invade Turkey because of it, anyway. I wonder if Erdogan wants to expand Turkey's influence in the world or if he wants to focus on developping his own country, though.

Ganelon
July 27th, 2020, 06:27 AM
As a person with a Roman fetish (I themed a FM based on the Roman Empire. Neutral was a Praetorian guard who were a type of Emperor (mayor) maker), Turkey are turd burglers.
Nice

Marshmallow Marshall
July 27th, 2020, 06:29 AM

Some people would just be happier if Hungary would finally eat that Turkey.

Love you Hybrid

Is the cathedral actually considered as holy, though? Since it was messed with so much...

Ganelon
July 27th, 2020, 06:30 AM
I’m technically Eastern Orthodox but I hate that religion (I know you’re not supposed to say that but w/e, hopefully nobody is orthodox here lol)
even so, tbh, idk how to feel about it
i don’t care about the action itself but the fact that it’s Erdogan doing it heavily implies he’s doing it to “cleanse the land of foreign influences”/“bring back God into the country”
both of these things are reprehensible, but for different reasons

Ganelon
July 27th, 2020, 06:31 AM
I think Emperor Julian should’ve executed Christians as traitors and imposed the use of the Latin language in the Greek speaking parts /s

SuperJack
July 27th, 2020, 09:29 AM
Idk but I claimed that shit in assassin's creed. And I like my capital as Constantinople in ck2.

BananaCucho
July 27th, 2020, 01:00 PM
I've got no skin in this game, therefore this topic sux

Ganelon
July 27th, 2020, 04:50 PM
Some people would just be happier if Hungary would finally eat that Turkey.

Love you @Hybrid (https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/member.php?u=28998)

Is the cathedral actually considered as holy, though? Since it was messed with so much...
this joke is terrible and you should feel bad, You Damn Troll!