PDA

View Full Version : Books.

jaczac
January 23rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
I might be the only bookworm here, but hey.

My top 3 are

Ready player 1 (http://www.readyplayerone.com/)
The General (Cherub Series[cherubcampus.com])
Mad Dogs (Cherub Series[cherubcampus.com])

read them theyre great.

Goremancer
January 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM
My suggestion is Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

Luna
January 25th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Terry Pratchett is a must-read if you're a living human being.

Gaunt's Ghosts/Eisenhorn series if you're into gothic/military sci-fi (yes they're Warhammer 40k books but you don't have to be a prior fan).

The best books? Steven Erikson and the Malazan series. Starts with Gardens of the Moon (http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765322889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327498781&sr=8-1). Steven Erikson is just... a breathtaking author. That series has the most complex, twisting, evolving and vicious storylines I've ever witnessed. There is no black and white, everything is a fine shade of grey, you don't know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Hundreds of thousands of people die, there's epic battles and passionate erotica (you all like rape, right?). There's Magic, explosives, shapeshifters, assassins, heavy drinking, spy games and demons.

Ubernox
January 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Warhammer 40K books are often a depressing read. Ever read Dead Men Walking?

Yeah, Terry Pratchett is a must read, except his later books aren't as good.

Personally, I'm a stippler for Jules Vern and other "classical" authors. Reading the Count of Monte Cristo atm.

Zane
January 25th, 2012, 10:06 AM
who reads books anyways

Apocist
January 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM
My favorite book series is probly The Dark Tower

Goremancer
January 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Perdito Street Station anyone?

Ubernox
January 26th, 2012, 04:31 AM
The Earthsea trilogy is only for real men.

Sumikoko
January 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Lol. No... fantasy classics...? :( Like Harry Potter...?

Sumi sad panda.

Goremancer
January 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
The Earthsea trilogy is only for real men.
Actually Earthsea is quite good. Not sure about the real men part. This isn't an old spice ad.

Ubernox
January 27th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Earthsea was the inspiration for Lotr. Earthsea did old-world fantasy before it was cool.

Sumicocko
January 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Sumi sad panda.
koreha zombie desuka was a great novel

Derogatory
January 28th, 2012, 02:28 AM
I enjoy many of James Patterson's books, even though I don't really like the genre of books he writes. I used to enjoy fantasy books, but my heart has become blackened by cynicism, unfortunately. I tend to go for more realistic books now.

Forum Mafia GM
January 28th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Russian fantasy ftw. I'm glad i can comprehend those books unlike most people here. Although i mostly read all the fantasy i can find, even the crappy junk books that are exciting but have no message:D

Shit mod account. Philie here for future reference.

CmG
January 28th, 2012, 03:27 AM
If you mean the Witcher books i read them and i liked them.

Also Warhammer books: The Malus Darkblade series was very enjoyable.

Warhammer40k: Horus heresy series.

Also Shadowrun, The Dark eye, Dungeons and Dragons like the Darkelf Saga etc.

Sookie
January 28th, 2012, 03:35 AM
my favorite Book would be Elven Star from the Deathgate Cycle series

i also recommend The Sword of Shannara and the rest of the Shannara series if you enjoy fantasy books.

CmG
January 28th, 2012, 04:25 AM

i also recommend The Sword of Shannara and the rest of the Shannara series if you enjoy fantasy books.

I think i will give this a shot

Ubernox
January 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Oh shit, everyone should give Boneshaker by Cherie Priest a try. The blurb says "A steampunk-zombie-airship adventure of rollicking pace and sweeping proportions, full of wonderfully gnarly details. This book is made of irresistible." And it's filled my gasmasks too.

Sookie
January 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Oh shit, everyone should give Boneshaker by Cherie Priest a try. The blurb says "A steampunk-zombie-airship adventure of rollicking pace and sweeping proportions, full of wonderfully gnarly details. This book is made of irresistible." And it's filled my gasmasks too.how cna you say no to that? lol

Guardian
January 28th, 2012, 08:22 AM
1) The hobbit (By J.R.R Tolkein)
2) Foundation and Second foundation (Isaac Asimov)
3) The Magician (703 pgs, beat that!)
4) Predictably irrational(yes, its a book)
5) The 10 commandments for business failure (not sure if this counts)

Favorite series:
Foundation series ( Isaac Asimov)

wolfcheese
January 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I love sci-fi and fantasy books/short stories. One of my favorite authors is Jane Lindskold, she makes some great stories that always have multidimensional characters.

Echonian
January 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
As far as normal reading is concerned, I enjoy books by Michael Crichton and Isaac Asimov (the former having died a bit more recently than the latter). For quick material, various comedy/satire books that are often much shorter and more unique in their content but lack plot.

One of my favorite books is The Hobbit, but I still haven't gotten around to reading the LOTR trilogy yet. I've read only one warhammer 40k book (the hunt for voldorius), and I thought it was pretty good if a bit simple in parts. Jurassic Park, Timeline, the Andromeda Strain, and Pirate Latitudes by Crichton are favorites of mine, as well as the Foundation series by Asimov and I, Robot.

Also, the Count of Monte Cristo is a book that I have enjoyed as well.

In all honesty I don't read nearly enough compared to what I used to. But there it is.

Lazers
January 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Dune

Read Dune

Also Tolkein's shit if you haven't read them yet

Zam
January 31st, 2012, 10:30 PM

Sumi sad panda.

I really enjoyed R. A. Salvatore's books. His most notable being The Legend of Drizzt.

philie
February 3rd, 2012, 05:44 AM
If you mean the Witcher books i read them and i liked them.

Also Warhammer books: The Malus Darkblade series was very enjoyable.

Warhammer40k: Horus heresy series.

Also Shadowrun, The Dark eye, Dungeons and Dragons like the Darkelf Saga etc.

Anyone who read Witcher books and liked them is awesome in my book.

TheJackofSpades
February 3rd, 2012, 05:59 AM
No mention of The Wheel of Time or Song of Ice and Fire.

You guys don't even read, do you?

Luna
February 3rd, 2012, 06:07 AM
Song of Ice and Fire I can get behind.

If you liked them, then you really have to check out Steven Erikson

TheJackofSpades
February 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
Meh, first of all, I believe you have your priorities swapped about.

The Wheel of Time is the quintessential book series; it only gets better.

Song of Ice and Fire has lost it's charm since Dance, you can tell his heart isn't in it or he seriously is so obsessed that he has forgotten how to write a compelling novel and must just write and write and write and write. Dance was bad, I'm not gonna lie to you, literally no conflicts are resolved and only more are created. It felt like such a robbery of my time.

Also, I tried to read Gardens of the Moon like a month ago, and I dunno if it was just the hardback copy I had or what but half the book seemed to be in it's spine so I never got past like the 3rd page. Not something I can work around.

Luna
February 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Huh, weird. My paperback was fine, though I now read everything on my kindle.

CmG
February 3rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Anyone who read Witcher books and liked them is awesome in my book.

:3

Dark fantasy is teh best :)

Lazers
February 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Song of Ice and Fire.

Everything past the first two books was shit

TheJackofSpades
February 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Everything past the first two books was shit

I like Storm of Swords but I'd agree with you on Feast of Crows.

Muso
February 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM

Gasp! I loved that series of books SO MUCH. I have never seen them for sale or in libraries though. I found them amongst my older brothers' old books.

Margaret Weisse and Tracy Hickman are such a good team.

I loved the War of Souls series too.

Necrolord
February 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Robert Fisk: "The Great War for Civilization: The Conquest of the Middle East"

This is a British journalist who is well-known for putting his personal safety at risk to get the best coverage of warzones and conflict areas. He also interviewed Osama bin Laden - twice (before the 9/11 attacks, when he went into hiding).

Great read. I also have Boris Yeltsin - Midnight Diaries.

Blazer
February 13th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Artemis fowl, supernaturaists, hell's angels, murder on the orient express, lotr supposedly, 1984 by george orwell, watership down, halo books aren't bad, series of unfortunate events -movie didn't even come close- it didn't get anything right...that's all I can remember for now