PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Frog
March 29th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Hey guys!

It's that time of year again! Season 3 is starting up very soon. In the next couple of weeks we need to submit our representative.

For the first stage, we're going to collect all nominations to be voted on this week. Please submit your nominations. Every nomination is acceptable.

For the second stage, we will be putting the nominations to a vote for week. The method of that voting is currently open, but would probably be most applicable is voters would be limited to ladder players, M-FM players, FM players, and hosts within the last 2 years, and FM MVPs.

Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello fellow Mafia enthusiasts!

My name is [Frog representing] Thingyman and I am creator of Mafia Universe, a site dedicated to bringing together Mafia communities. I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one other as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ players from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week (until April 4th). Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April 18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best players. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase. I repeat: These games will be active.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.
• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

Playing on a new site can sometimes be difficult to adjust to, which is why we created Mafia Universe towards the end of the last season. The forum utilizes countless unique features to enhance the player's experience, such as: fully automated games, automated/requestable vote counters, private threads, bookmarking functions, and more.

Relevant Links

Season 2 finale:
http://www.mafiauniverse.com/threads/269-The-2015-Mafia-Championship-Finale
Season 1 finalists vs. season 2 finalists:
http://www.mafiauniverse.com/threads/1212-S1-S2-Championship-Exhibition-Game
Information thread:
http://www.mafiauniverse.com/threads/1068-The-Mafia-Championship-Information-Thread

Helz
March 29th, 2016, 01:23 AM
#Nominate Orpz if he can dedicate massive amounts of time to the game

And cry on the inside because we were set up to have 2 nominations and fucked it up

Frog
March 29th, 2016, 01:53 AM
So... any admin want to make the official post so we can start nominating and voting?

:>

Cryptonic
March 29th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Just nominate in this thread. Put something in OP about it.

Cryptonic
March 29th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Also none of your links work

RLVG
March 29th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Let's nominate ourselves and the hydras. :troll:

I'd give this a try.

Frog
March 29th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Just nominate in this thread. Put something in OP about it.

Fixed.

Also none of your links work

Yeah, MU is going under an overhaul:
-In preparation for the championships series
-Implementing an automated game generator

Frog
March 29th, 2016, 07:23 AM
I'll nominate:
-Frog
-Helz
-Yayap
-Sen

I say Orpz, if he has the time. When he plays, he's usually dedicated and has a decent playstyle as all factions.
Yayap would be a good, too, if he is willing to.

Orpz is a great player, I agree. The last game I played with Orpz was in the cross-community game. Give it a look. He was Fox.

I asked Yayap if he'd be willing or able- he's going to check out the setup before he commits.

Helz playstyle would be optimal for this type of setup as long as he doesn't get NKed night 1, I'd say he has a very good shot making it to the next rounds.

Sen is a great player from what little I've seen playing with him. If he can commit to the time, he'd also be a good pick.

I received a nomination from the Season 2 Champ to be the MU representative, but since I'm so low on the totem pole I can't see me being in the top 2 picks. This is pretty much my only shot. I've played with the majority of the previous champs and a good amount of players who were and are likely going to be picks for this season, so I'd have that meta edge.

Frog
March 29th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Any nominations or ideas on how the voting works are open. :-)

Most of us have played there and understand the demands of the competition.

I think Firebringer, Calix, and Titus can attest that it will be very intense.

I know the OP says ±500 posts a day, but these games easily go over ±2,000 posts a day - ±3,000 posts should be expected D1.

If you'd like an example of what I mean, head on over to take a look at some of the games for reference.

Frog
March 29th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Let's nominate ourselves and the hydras. :troll:

I'd give this a try.

Haha. You laugh, but a hydra competition is also in development atm.

Cryptonic
March 29th, 2016, 07:33 AM
I say Orpz, if he has the time. When he plays, he's usually dedicated and has a decent playstyle as all factions.
Yayap would be a good, too, if he is willing to.

Damus_Graves
March 29th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Interesting

Firebringer
March 29th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Am I the only one who laughs at the thought that people turn the party game "Mafia" into some competitive sport? Like this Championship?

Maybe I am the only one. Anyways I say we send Helz or Frog. I don't know if Orpz has time but I would nominate him among them. Maybe Damus too.

Sen
March 29th, 2016, 10:31 AM
We should send Necroplant.

Being serious, I think the first thing to consider would be to see which players WANT to participate, and then pick from that list. A 2,000+ posts per day game requires a lot of free time available, and that just for reading. Add analysis time and the demands start getting quite brutal.

Personally, as interesting as a 100+ sites game sounds, I don't really have the time right now to commit to such a large game.

The current nominations sound alright. Gerik also comes to mind, but I haven't seen him around for a while, so he wouldn't really fit as a representative right now.

Cryptonic
March 29th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Being serious, I think the first thing to consider would be to see which players WANT to participate, and then pick from that list. A 2,000+ posts per day game requires a lot of free time available, and that just for reading. Add analysis time and the demands start getting quite brutal.

Personally, as interesting as a 100+ sites game sounds, I don't really have the time right now to commit to such a large game.

The current nominations sound alright. Gerik also comes to mind, but I haven't seen him around for a while, so he wouldn't really fit as a representative right now.

I also nominate Gerik

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I also nominate Gerik

Gerik would represent us mightily. He'd also have a good time with it, and sending a 2x MVP would make sense.

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 11:17 AM

He ONLY comes around to play FMs. That or flame with people he has always flamed with

ika
March 29th, 2016, 11:57 AM
can we jsut send yayap?

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 12:02 PM
can we jsut send yayap?

Can we just send Gerik?

Gerik
March 29th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I was just informed that I'm nominated for a thing. I've recently come into some free time, so I'll do it if I'm chosen. How many reps do we get? Because I'd give it to yayap over myself if he is willing to commit.

Gerik
March 29th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Also hi Sen. It's been a while.

Gerik
March 29th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Also, since the links in the OP are broken as fuck, I took the liberty of fixing them:

S2 (http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/269-The-2015-Mafia-Championship-Finale)

S1 vs S2 (http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/1212-S1-S2-Championship-Exhibition-Game)

S3 Info thread (http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/1068-The-Mafia-Championship-Information-Thread)

They all had the same issue, which makes me think they were typed manually. Not sure why anyone would do that when we have copy + paste, though...

In any case, enjoy.

ika
March 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Can we just send Gerik?

gerick posted that he would send yap i would rather see him personally. last time he missed out cus he was away iirc and we were going to

Admiral
March 29th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Alright guys, I'll do it.

FYRE
March 29th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Mafia doesn't really seem to be a game that lends itself to being able to determine a 'best' player, or even to have a tournament in any sense. Even in 2 player complete information games with no RNG at all like Chess, a best of 1 doesn't say who is the better player. How much moreso does a clusterfuck like forum mafia lack the necessary properties to determine this.

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 04:16 PM
gerick posted that he would send yap i would rather see him personally. last time he missed out cus he was away iirc and we were going to

We just picked TDL.

And who the fuck is Gerick?

Brendan
March 29th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Should there be a poll? My vote is for Yayap if he has time. Gerik is good too.

powerofdeath
March 29th, 2016, 04:28 PM
I volunteer to be a tribute!

ika
March 29th, 2016, 05:12 PM
We just picked TDL.

And who the fuck is Gerick?

you tell me

Toadette
March 29th, 2016, 06:12 PM
I vote Orpz

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 06:20 PM
you tell me

No. You tell us what you meant dude

Firebringer
March 29th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Should there be a poll? My vote is for Yayap if he has time. Gerik is good too.

I honestly wouldn't feel Yayap represent the site currently. He doesn't play on here for games except I guess the FMs, which I don't know if he was there in last.

ika
March 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM
No. You tell us what you meant dude

i meant exactly what i said.

I honestly wouldn't feel Yayap represent the site currently. He doesn't play on here for games except I guess the FMs, which I don't know if he was there in last.

if we were really going to do someone who represented site i would pick you fire

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 07:02 PM
i meant exactly what i said.

So... no member of this community?

ika
March 29th, 2016, 07:09 PM
So... no member of this community?

Nope. It's a member of our community.

Slaol
March 29th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Gerick?

SilverWolf
March 29th, 2016, 07:29 PM
I was just informed that I'm nominated for a thing. I've recently come into some free time, so I'll do it if I'm chosen. How many reps do we get? Because I'd give it to yayap over myself if he is willing to commit.

I think it's clear ika is talking about this person. So your point is? Or do you have one besides being an ass to him for no reason?

SilverWolf
March 29th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Like, this thread is supposed to be about the Mafia Championship and you are making it about being a dick to ika. What is your point? Seriously, grow the hell up.

Firebringer
March 29th, 2016, 07:37 PM
We are talking about who to send. If you think we should make a poll, then so be it.
If you think the nominations aren't good, so be it.

No need to insult users.

oops_ur_dead
March 29th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I nominate Mateo.

Helz
March 29th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Current Nominations:

-Frog
-Helz
-Yayap
-Sen
-Calix
-Firebringer
-Orpz
-Gerik
-Mateo
-POD
-RLVG
-Admiral

This is my line of thought as well. I have nothing but respect for Yayap and consider him to be a much better player than I am but I do not really feel like he is currently a member of this community. Unless he has been playing games under a fake name or something I couldn't vote for him to 'represent' us

powerofdeath
March 30th, 2016, 12:10 AM
I vote Orpz.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 02:21 AM
Current Nominations:

-Frog
-Helz
-Yayap
-Sen
-Calix
-Firebringer
-Orpz
-Gerik
-Mateo
-POD
-RLVG
-Admiral

This is my line of thought as well. I have nothing but respect for Yayap and consider him to be a much better player than I am but I do not really feel like he is currently a member of this community. Unless he has been playing games under a fake name or something I couldn't vote for him to 'represent' us

To be perfectly frank, from an objective point of view there's an obvious gap in players' abilities and understanding in mechanics. I'd like to send the best player, but I have to agree, some players haven't been active in the last couple years- I know because I've been in or observed every game for the last couple of years. It's hard to judge a players ability if you've never even played with them, and it's been years, lol. If you'd like to send the best active player, it'd be between me and Helz, and I'd vote Helz.

Having said that, I nominate Watermeloann if everyone is going to troll the nominations. Watermeloann is the best player bar none. Sure, you haven't played with watermeloann recently so you have no basis to judge that on, and watermeloann hasn't really been active, but trust me guys, this totally makes sense.

Firebringer
March 30th, 2016, 02:26 AM
To be perfectly frank, from an objective point of view there's an obvious gap in players' abilities and understanding in mechanics. I'd like to send the best player, but I have to agree, some players haven't been active in the last couple years- I know because I've been in or observed every game for the last couple of years. It's hard to judge a players ability if you've never even played with them, and it's been years, lol. If you'd like to send the best active player, it'd be between me and Helz, and I'd vote Helz.

Having said that, I nominate Watermeloann if everyone is going to troll the nominations. Watermeloann is the best player bar none. Sure, you haven't played with watermeloann recently so you have no basis to judge that on, and watermeloann hasn't really been active, but trust me guys, this totally makes sense.

I don't know whats the obsession with best player. We need someone who truly represents the Sc2Mafia community. Who honors our name the best.

And that is Watermeloann like you suggest Frog. He isn't the best player, but he has made a great name for himself, and will get high to victory in this game.

In serious: We should actually ask people if they would be interested to go play this big game before nominating anyone. Cause speaking for myself, I have 0 interest in participating or even playing this game. 100+ Players doesn't sound like a game of mafia. It sounds like a game of insanity.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 02:47 AM
I don't know whats the obsession with best player. We need someone who truly represents the Sc2Mafia community. Who honors our name the best.

And that is Watermeloann like you suggest Frog. He isn't the best player, but he has made a great name for himself, and will get high to victory in this game.

In serious: We should actually ask people if they would be interested to go play this big game before nominating anyone. Cause speaking for myself, I have 0 interest in participating or even playing this game. 100+ Players doesn't sound like a game of mafia. It sounds like a game of insanity.

Haha, they're 17 player games. 4 mafia, 13 town, with variable open setup similar to Matrix6.

The main difference between Matrix6 and Matrix 12 is that Mafia will always know the entire setup via roles deduction and Town will not.

So softing a TPR role as town that isn't possible will automatically out you as a vanilla town to the Mafia and bring you under suspicion to the actual TPRs who don't line up with your claim on the verticals/horizontals.

The typical play for scum is powerwolfing, so mechanical deduction is very useful in these types of setups. Similar to that last 21er we played on Mafia Universe. Powerwolfing was easily countered with mechanical deduction.

Most sites hate towns who FPS, so a straight forward obvious town style is internationally accepted and revered. That is why Helz' playstyle is advantageous.

At the end of each of the 17 games, two MVPs are chosen, with a third and possibly fourth and/or fifth wildcard. The wildcards play another match to determine the remaining MVP slots for the championship game.

RLVG
March 30th, 2016, 02:47 AM
I nominate Mateo.

Let's put in Hypersniper and have the entire community think "...Wtf is wrong with you all"

Serious though, other than self, I'd nominate the following; MattZed, Firebringer, Gerik, Orpz, Yayap, Sen, Damus_Graves, in the order from first left to last right.

Yayap
March 30th, 2016, 02:49 AM
I see I have been summoned. And unlike last time, I have the required time available to commit to an FM. Time for me to pull out the old notepad.

RLVG
March 30th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Time for me to pull out the old notepad.

How oldschool, we have it all in our heads.

Firebringer
How oldschool, we have it all in our heads.

Right?
Notes are for plebs.

Frog
I see I have been summoned. And unlike last time, I have the required time available to commit to an FM. Time for me to pull out the old notepad.

/thread

Firebringer
March 30th, 2016, 02:53 AM
I have tried to take notes literally two times in games I have played.
Both times I gave up in the middle and was like:
"This isn't supposed to be work, this is supposed to be fun. WTF AM I DOING"

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 06:30 AM
I think I could manage posting 2000-5000 per day. Send Batman.
Wait it's just reading 2000-5000 posts?

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 06:32 AM
I have tried to take notes literally two times in games I have played.
Both times I gave up in the middle and was like:
"This isn't supposed to be work, this is supposed to be fun. WTF AM I DOING"

I never take notes.

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I think it's clear ika is talking about this person. So your point is? Or do you have one besides being an ass to him for no reason?

How is what you said a response to Gerik's post? Gerik said nothing about Ika, and does not appear to being an ass to him in any way. Are you another ika?

Calix
March 30th, 2016, 07:19 AM
How is what you said a response to Gerik's post? Gerik said nothing about Ika, and does not appear to being an ass to him in any way. Are you another ika?

Yes. They're dating.

They really love insulting everyone who isn't them talking about their romance, so if you want to start a big argument about why you're a shithead heated debate on the merits of true love, continue to respond to them :p

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Yes. They're dating.

They really love insulting everyone who isn't them talking about their romance, so if you want to start a big argument about why you're a shithead heated debate on the merits of true love, continue to respond to them :p

So i should infract them both for lots of logical fallacy?

Calix
March 30th, 2016, 07:34 AM
So i should infract them both for lots of logical fallacy?

That's a cause for infractions on this site?

Knock yourself out, just don't make the site a ghost town in the meanwhile ^.^

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I'd like to add two nominations:

Toadette
ThePaladin

Too bad we don't have two spots because I'd love to see the former lynch the latter on Day 1 to give the game a real SC2Mafia feel. :)

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 07:37 AM
That's a cause for infractions on this site?

Knock yourself out, just don't make the site a ghost town in the meanwhile ^.^

It's only for major flaws, and primarily when those flaws coincide with a lesser intellect trying to argue with the people in charge about something when they are objectively wrong. Things like the fact that the account "Gerick" isn't a member of our community. You can be mentally retarded and disconnected from reality wanting to make a big deal about defending how stupid you are (or someone that supports that kind of moron-like behavior), or you can correct it to 'Gerik' like a regular person when they get something wrong. Instead of being a whiner, or bitching about things.

Calix
March 30th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I'd like to add two nominations:

Toadette
ThePaladin

Too bad we don't have two spots because I'd love to see the former lynch the latter on Day 1 to give the game a real SC2Mafia feel. :)

Paladin might actually make us look better. He'll get town-read like crazy for "townie enthusiasm" or "his ideas are too insane to be scum-motivated" :laugh:

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Paladin might actually make us look better. He'll get town-read like crazy for "townie enthusiasm" or "his ideas are too insane to be scum-motivated" :laugh:

The good old "too scummy to be scum" gambit -- might be our best shot honesty, lol.

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 07:42 AM
The good old "too scummy to be scum" gambit -- might be our best shot honesty, lol.

fucking s-fm election

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 07:43 AM
fucking s-fm election

Wasn't Deathworlds going to replay that game at some point? You got screwed there in terms of win streak.

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Wasn't Deathworlds going to replay that game at some point? You got screwed there in terms of win streak.

win, mvp, 5 win streak. that would have been my points and it was enough to win the ladder

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 08:02 AM
fucking s-fm election

fucking game man.
I tried to convert you and covertly asked for a sign that it was successful and you gave me one. Then I successfully converted MattZed and asked him for a sign, and he basically told me to fuck off lmao

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Then I successfully converted MattZed and asked him for a sign, and he basically told me to fuck off lmao

That's why we added him to staff, right?

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 08:10 AM
fucking game man.
I tried to convert you and covertly asked for a sign that it was successful and you gave me one. Then I successfully converted MattZed and asked him for a sign, and he basically told me to fuck off lmao

lol. it was so good

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Shameless self-plug.

I'd really like to be our site's nomination.

Many of you know me from recent years FM's and M-FM's. In the last couple of years I've consecutively MVPed every 20-30 player game on this site.

Others know me from my general activity from the site, skype and the SC2 mod where I have over 3000 games played.

What you may not know about me is that I have a deep passion for this game for whatever reason! It takes a true mental masochist to put themselves through the constant grind and commitment to play the very best possible every time.

Every time I play, I want to learn a little bit more. I've developed the cross-community game in that effort and passion for learning more styles and strategies. I've gone to Mafia Universe, the hosting site for the championships, to continue this learning and I hope to bring these strategies and styles back here! I've played with nominations and champions from many different sites and I've learned quite a lot.

My style has developed to use every strategy. On first read and playthrough I look for tone reads. On second read I develop mechanical analysis with notes with respect to analytical analysis. Once I find connections I push and prod to see whether pairings or groups I've found are willing to push against each other. On the first day of a 17 player game I plan to develop 3 wagons for optimal mechanical analysis. Titus and Firebringer have seen me use this very method to pin the entire scum team by day 2 in the last 21er game we played that just ended yesterday.

More important than anything, I feel that I would represent our site as a passionate, high effort player who is also currently active in playing games here on SC2, whether they're SC2 mod games, S-FMs, M-FMs, or FMs.

I ask for your vote to see my dream of fulfilling my passion for this game at the highest level. If you vote for me, I promise I will give it everything I have and I will do my absolute best to bring glory to SC2Mafia, as a site that's got more passion for the spirit of the game than any site across the 100+ participating.

Toadette
March 30th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I think I could manage posting 2000-5000 per day. Send Batman.
Wait it's just reading 2000-5000 posts?

I nominate Cryptonic.

Orpz
March 30th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Shameless self-plug.

Many of you know me from recent years FM's and M-FM's. In the last couple of years I've consecutively MVPed every 20-30 player game on this site.

Others know me from my general activity from the site, skype and the SC2 mod where I have over 3000 games played.

What you may not know about me is that I have a deep passion for this game for whatever reason! It takes a true mental masochist to put themselves through the constant grind and commitment to play the very best possible every time.

Every time I play, I want to learn a little bit more. I've developed the cross-community game in that effort and passion for learning more styles and strategies. I've gone to Mafia Universe, the hosting site for the championships, to continue this learning and I hope to bring these strategies and styles back here! I've played with nominations and champions from many different sites and I've learned quite a lot.

My style has developed to use every strategy. On first read and playthrough I look for tone reads. On second read I develop mechanical analysis with notes with respect to analytical analysis. Once I find connections I push and prod to see whether pairings or groups I've found are willing to push against each other. On the first day of a 17 player game I plan to develop 3 wagons for optimal mechanical analysis. Titus and Firebringer have seen me use this very method to pin the entire scum team by day 2 in the last 21er game we played that just ended yesterday.

More important than anything, I feel that I would represent our site as a passionate, high effort player who is also currently active in playing games here on SC2, whether they're SC2 mod games, S-FMs, M-FMs, or FMs.

I ask for your vote to see my dream of fulfilling my passion for this game at the highest level. If you vote for me, I promise I will give it everything I have and I will do my absolute best to bring glory to SC2Mafia, as a site that's got more passion for the spirit of the game than any site across the 100+ participating.

Yes, I nominate Frog.

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Sadly, I don't have time to accept a large commitment like that at this time lol. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind being put on the poll.

DarknessB
I nominate Cryptonic.

If he goes FM Batman mode in the game, I agree.

Cryptonic
Shameless self-plug.

But what if someone doesn't agree with your in-game plans

Toadette
March 30th, 2016, 08:50 AM

This is why we need Batman, who doesn't give a fuck :)

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 08:53 AM
This is why we need Batman, who doesn't give a fuck :)

He's not the representative SC2Mafia needs, he's the representative SC2Mafia deserves?

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Being an effective communicator helps.

What normally ends up happening is that certain players go under the radar.

By partaking in the center field of the game making hard positions, that puts you in a better position to interact with the under the radar players.

When you're interacting with every player, effective communicating and rallying becomes a whole lot easier.

3 wagons is optimal for this setup, but that isn't something I can force, you're right.

Normally the way to go about achieving this is through coordination, which comes with communicating with players across the board, even those under the radar.

By prompting the side game into unique positions (aka, not on lead wagons), and through consolidation, there will normally be 2-3 lead wagons, with a variation of smaller wagons - for this particular type of setup which does not require majority lynch.

Toadette
March 30th, 2016, 08:57 AM
He's not the representative SC2Mafia needs, he's the representative SC2Mafia deserves?

Sure. In all seriousness, FM Batman represents the site's meta, play style, etc a lot more than any other player would.

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Sure. In all seriousness, FM Batman represents the site's meta, play style, etc a lot more than any other player would.

We need you FM Batman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1B3Mgklfd0

Toadette
March 30th, 2016, 08:59 AM
FM Batman is love

FM Batman is life

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Lmao. I thought the current trend was lurkfest. Quite the opposite. :-P

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 09:02 AM

The current trend is 100-150 page Day 1s. Compare newer games to older games and the activity level is way higher now. Old games were often resolved in 50 pages.

Toadette
March 30th, 2016, 09:03 AM

We're not talking about the terrible aspect here, but the positive :)

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 09:03 AM
We're not talking about the terrible aspect here, but the positive :)

You mean like deciding who to lynch based on the results of chess games?

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 09:04 AM
The current trend is 100-150 page Day 1s. Compare newer games to older games and the activity level is way higher now. Old games were often resolved in 50 pages.

Lol. In my last game I think I had 400+ posts D1 in a 36 hour day.

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Lol. In my last game I think I had 400+ posts D1 in a 36 hour day.

That doesn't really negate his point, though.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 09:07 AM
That doesn't really negate his point, though.

I'm not negating it. It's just funny.

I've already mentioned this to blue+'s, the easiest fix wrt activity is increasing day lengths from 48 hours to 72 hours. 72/24.

Honestly, any game requires pushes and vote swaps, and if activity is that low, it's just not realistically possible.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 09:08 AM
You mean like deciding who to lynch based on the results of chess games?

I'm not staff anymore, so maybe Yuki will think I'm scum now. :-D

BananaCucho
March 30th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I humbly decline the nomination to play.

Oh wait

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I humbly decline the nomination to play.

Oh wait

OMFG -- look who's back...

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 09:14 AM

I've already mentioned this to blue+'s, the easiest fix wrt activity is increasing day lengths from 48 hours to 72 hours. 72/24.

Honestly, any game requires pushes and vote swaps, and if activity is that low, it's just not realistically possible.

We're not going to force hosts to increase their day/night length, though. We're not going to make a host change their game in any way, except with suggestions to help balance.

edit: plus, increasing day length does not increase activity. It just allows for more posts to be submitted in 1 day. I'd bet games with shorter days have more posts per hour on our site.

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 09:14 AM
OMFG -- look who's back...

lol

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 09:19 AM
We're not going to force hosts to increase their day/night length, though. We're not going to make a host change their game in any way, except with suggestions to help balance.

edit: plus, increasing day length does not increase activity. It just allows for more posts to be submitted in 1 day. I'd bet games with shorter days have more posts per hour on our site.

Bahahaha. I don't know why you do this. I'm not suggesting we force hosts to do anything.

Increase time = increase ability to post more

It's very straight forward. LOL.

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Bahahaha. I don't know why you do this. I'm not suggesting we force hosts to do anything.

Increase time = increase ability to post more

It's very straight forward. LOL.

???
You said that you told blue+ to fix activity by increasing day length, but blue+ have no way of controlling what a host does with their game other than forcing hosts to amend their games using rules.

Yes, Increased Time = Increased ability to post more
But Increased Ability to post more != Increased Activity.
Increased Activity = More activity over same time period.

So, a game with 500 posts in 48 hours is less active than a game with 300 posts in 24 hours.

It's very straight forward.

Helz
March 30th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I will say that whenever our metta has a big gap in it now. Theres a group of players that are super active and involved in games and there is another group that the host tells 'If you dont make 5 posts in the day you will be replaced' and they just vomit 5 fluff posts and move on. I personally always look critically at the host of the game when I see players getting away with that behavior. Its a real dick move by the player to sign up for a game and skip day chat. I never did understand why some people act like its a justifiable playstyle.

I will probably vote for Frog. Some of you may hate his attitude but he has a very deep understanding of the game and has been a very active member of our community this year. I still couldn't vote Yayap on the reasoning that he never plays here.

DarknessB
March 30th, 2016, 09:46 AM
???
You said that you told blue+ to fix activity by increasing day length, but blue+ have no way of controlling what a host does with their game other than forcing hosts to amend their games using rules.

So, a game with 500 posts in 48 hours is less active than a game with 300 posts in 24 hours.

Basically posts per real life day, which makes sense -- making game days longer won't necessarily increase this. Could have the opposite effect if people feel like they have time to lurk / not get down to business. On that note, I wouldn't want us doing the Mafiascum style of play where game days are insanely long in real life time (10 days or whatever it is), which I feel like encourages people to take their time and not play with any sense of urgency. It should not take 2 months to finish a game.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 09:59 AM
???

Take a deep breath and reread the original post.

"I've already mentioned this to blue+'s, the easiest fix wrt activity is increasing day lengths from 48 hours to 72 hours. 72/24."

I'm not telling anyone to do anything. These are suggestions on how to fix issues that I've identified, and that are clearly present. How you take it from there is up to you. I'm not saying to force hosts to do anything. They're just suggestions, you can suggest hosts to think along that same line of thought.

These aren't fighting words that I started out with, and I'm not sure if this continual 1v1 is unnecessarily confrontational in lolcats, if you're generally confused, or whether you genuinely can't identify problems and find solutions.

Again, these are just suggestions! Do as you wish! In fact, I'd encourage you as a staff to spearhead this problem solution. I only bring suggestions for solutions because I care. Don't mistake my passion and 1v1 with hostility in a totally unrelated thread plox. Ty.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Basically posts per real life day, which makes sense -- making game days longer won't necessarily increase this. Could have the opposite effect if people feel like they have time to lurk / not get down to business. On that note, I wouldn't want us doing the Mafiascum style of play where game days are insanely long in real life time (10 days or whatever it is), which I feel like encourages people to take their time and not play with any sense of urgency. It should not take 2 months to finish a game.

Bahaha, I agree 100%

10 IRL days for 1 day is insanity and not consistent with our meta at all. Let's move this topic off thread. :-)

Go for it moderator. :-)

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 10:08 AM
By the way Crypt.

You're a good egg, and I know your heart is in the community. Just remember mine is too. :-)

http://www.incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/disney-princess-sloths-6.gif

MattZed
March 30th, 2016, 10:26 AM
fucking game man.
That was my way of giving a sign. <_< Didn't want anyone picking up on it and killing my cult leader, so I thought acting like I hated you but not voting you would let you know I'm on your side but can't let the plebs know.

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Take a deep breath and reread the original post.

"I've already mentioned this to blue+'s, the easiest fix wrt activity is increasing day lengths from 48 hours to 72 hours. 72/24."

I'm not telling anyone to do anything. These are suggestions on how to fix issues that I've identified, and that are clearly present. How you take it from there is up to you. I'm not saying to force hosts to do anything. They're just suggestions, you can suggest hosts to think along that same line of thought.

These aren't fighting words that I started out with, and I'm not sure if this continual 1v1 is unnecessarily confrontational in lolcats, if you're generally confused, or whether you genuinely can't identify problems and find solutions.

Again, these are just suggestions! Do as you wish! In fact, I'd encourage you as a staff to spearhead this problem solution. I only bring suggestions for solutions because I care. Don't mistake my passion and 1v1 with hostility in a totally unrelated thread plox. Ty.

It's not a continual 1v1, it's a conversation. I have no emotion invested in this, I am literally just responding with logical statements. I don't see what I have to take a deep breath for. All I am saying is that I don't see what good telling administration that you think increasing day helps activity if you're not expecting us to intervene in host's setups. If players/hosts wanted an increase in day length, they would voice this concern in setup threads. I rarely see someone posting in a setup being like "You should make days 72 hours", ect, because that's not what the majority of our players want. From what I have seen from my time on this site; hosting countless games, playing countless games, overseeing games as FM Judge... I have seen that increasing length of day does have a negative affect on player's will to participate, because they get bored and lose interest. That is what I meant when I said "I'd bet games with shorter days have more posts per hour on our site."

I previously stated this all in a rational way. Not sure why you're blowing this out of proportion, there is no need to get defensive. You stated your opinion, I stated mine.

I still couldn't vote Yayap on the reasoning that he never plays here.

I disagree, Yayap attempts to participate in all major FMs. He is a member of our community and could represent us just fine. That being said, I'd probably still vote for Gerik, because he is one of the only players whose logical arguments & playstyle has ever actually impressed me.

That was my way of giving a sign. <_< Didn't want anyone picking up on it and killing my cult leader, so I thought acting like I hated you but not voting you would let you know I'm on your side but can't let the plebs know.

You're 100% right. if I took it from that perspective, I would've thought you were Cult and Slaol wasn't. And I would've been more successful lmao.

GoatseOntheCupboard
March 30th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I will accept your nomination to play in the mafia world championships, as it is not just my responsibility, but my destiny as well.

SuperJack
March 30th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I nominate GoatseOntheCupboard

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I will accept your nomination to play in the mafia world championships, as it is not just my responsibility, but my destiny as well.

Play a game of FM and, if you do well, you may have my vote.

Firebringer
March 30th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Play a game of FM and, if you do well, you may have my vote.

Crypt, you have my vote.

Frog
March 30th, 2016, 01:05 PM
It's not a continual 1v1, it's a conversation. I have no emotion invested in this, I am literally just responding with logical statements. I don't see what I have to take a deep breath for. All I am saying is that I don't see what good telling administration that you think increasing day helps activity if you're not expecting us to intervene in host's setups. If players/hosts wanted an increase in day length, they would voice this concern in setup threads. I rarely see someone posting in a setup being like "You should make days 72 hours", ect, because that's not what the majority of our players want. From what I have seen from my time on this site; hosting countless games, playing countless games, overseeing games as FM Judge... I have seen that increasing length of day does have a negative affect on player's will to participate, because they get bored and lose interest. That is what I meant when I said "I'd bet games with shorter days have more posts per hour on our site."

I previously stated this all in a rational way. Not sure why you're blowing this out of proportion, there is no need to get defensive. You stated your opinion, I stated mine.

I saw 2 of your posts that misinterpreted what I wanted to say wrt solutions. I had to assume it was either purposeful or an honest misunderstanding.

I can respect your opinion on more of the same, but I'd like something better. I gave you guys more suggestions which I would LOVE to spearhead.

Instead of me dying to mod error in the last FM, Louisiana would have died? I had pegged the scum teams in my notes and announced the majority of scum team before going into the night. In this hypothetical situation, would I have been the MVP? Bear in mind, after I died the game died. I had identified scum and was attempting to pit them against each other to make it obvious to Town. It's a complete 100% hypothetical, but I feel like for the intense effort I gave that game, nothing will ever be known. My notes are mostly all in the notebooks for anyone to look over.

Site improvements aside, can I count on your vote of confidence?

Helz
March 30th, 2016, 01:59 PM
If Yayap is still playing then yeah. I was just under the impression he had hardly played a game on our site this last year. He is a sneaky guy. Might be jumping in on secret accounts and such.

Also on hosts, I believe its the host responsibility to create a fun environment for the players. If you have 8 players who are dedicating 4 hours a day to the game and 2 that only play for 5 mins and the play style of those 2 slackers is taking away from the experience of those 8 who are really playing the game I usually expect the host to do something about it. Not to say that they are obligated to. But there are some hosts on our site I will not sign up to play their games because I know they failed to create a fun game for me in the past. When you put it in these terms its kind of logical to support the people in the community that actually dedicate time and effort to the games over those that lurk. The joke thats been going around is 'One of these days there will be a game of all lurkers and the game will be hilarious to watch.' Low contribution players absolutely need those who try in order for the game to happen and be fun. I can speak for myself and others when I say that there have been games I have walked away from frustrated and disappointed because some empty slot was allowed to float through the game. If people want to call that a strategy setups should be modified to allow more policy lynches which would just create a less balanced setup curved for player meta. (This is exactly why SC2 is considered balanced yet when you just put 3 skilled town in the game the scum gets utterly stomped)

Yayap
March 30th, 2016, 02:45 PM

10 IRL days for 1 day is insanity and not consistent with our meta at all.
Tried that... Exhibit A: FM22 Day cycle was 1 week long, with day phase mostly on weekends. Game cancelled by host (me) when 50+% were modkilled for inactivity.

I still couldn't vote Yayap on the reasoning that he never plays here.

I disagree, Yayap attempts to participate in all major FMs. He is a member of our community and could represent us just fine.

If Yayap is still playing then yeah. I was just under the impression he had hardly played a game on our site this last year. He is a sneaky guy. Might be jumping in on secret accounts and such.

Main FM hosts would know that I'm still around, either helping behind the scenes with setup balancing/mechanics tips or secretly playing. Cryptonic would know since he hosted the last FM. I also participated in the cross community game.

Brendan
March 30th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I'm going to make a poll thread. Any last minute nominations?

Slaol
March 30th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Slaol

Firebringer
March 30th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Tossangel.

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I nominate:
Yukitaka Oni,
Damus_Graves*,
Plotato,
Tossangel,
Psyduck,
FYRE,
Takumi,
mikeu1,
SilverWolf*,
oops_ur_dead*,
Gerik*,
deathworlds*,
powerofdeath*,
Jim,
Thingyman,
ThePaladin*,
RLVG*,
TheDarkestLight*,
Gyrlander,
fred,
Orpz,
Toadette,
Mugy,
NoctiZ*,
Mikecall,
BananaCucho*,
MattZed,
Sen*,
Calix*,
DarknessB*,
GoatseOntheCupboard,
AIVION,
Marine,
Frog,
Helz*,
Yayap,
Cryptonic*,
Brendan,
SuperJack*,
ika*,
Slaol*,
Firebringer,
Admiral

Admiral
March 30th, 2016, 03:13 PM

I think my dick just got hard.

Helz
March 30th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Tried that... Exhibit A: FM22 Day cycle was 1 week long, with day phase mostly on weekends. Game cancelled by host (me) when 50+% were modkilled for inactivity.

Main FM hosts would know that I'm still around, either helping behind the scenes with setup balancing/mechanics tips or secretly playing. Cryptonic would know since he hosted the last FM. I also participated in the cross community game.

Yeah. That was a pretty sick game. Your deep wolf play fucked the town up pretty good. You guys killed me N1 but I was following the game. It was utterly painful watching Hevy and Spark float through the days. I still have no clue how Hevy did not get lynched.

Capitalier
March 30th, 2016, 05:08 PM
honestly im the fucking best and i vote mateo

oops_ur_dead
March 30th, 2016, 05:41 PM
honestly im the fucking best and i vote mateo

sry you have it backwards mateo is the fucking best youre second

Elixir
March 30th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Can we not get fucking shot day 2 this time please

Yayap Gerik or Crypt are the only sensible nominations.

edit: or sas.cnl.alpha may he return from the land of rip.

Yayap
March 30th, 2016, 05:58 PM

TheDarkestLight was lynched day 1... he never made it to day 2. The bar isn't set very high, anyone should be able to best that result.

TheDarkestLight
March 30th, 2016, 06:00 PM
TheDarkestLight was lynched day 1... he never made it to day 2. The bar isn't set very high, anyone should be able to best that result.

I blame the lack of skill of the other players. Their reads were God awful and such was proven when I flipped town. :)

Takum1
March 30th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I nominate:
Yukitaka Oni,
Damus_Graves*,
Plotato,
Tossangel,
Psyduck,
FYRE,
Takumi,
mikeu1,
SilverWolf*,
oops_ur_dead*,
Gerik*,
deathworlds*,
powerofdeath*,
Jim,
Thingyman,
ThePaladin*,
RLVG*,
TheDarkestLight*,
Gyrlander,
fred,
Orpz,
Toadette,
Mugy,
NoctiZ*,
Mikecall,
BananaCucho*,
MattZed,
Sen*,
Calix*,
DarknessB*,
GoatseOntheCupboard,
AIVION,
Marine,
Frog,
Helz*,
Yayap,
Cryptonic*,
Brendan,
SuperJack*,
ika*,
Slaol*,
Firebringer,
Admiral
why do some players have asterisks beside their names?

Cryptonic
March 30th, 2016, 06:56 PM
why do some players have asterisks beside their names?

Means they have invisible status on

Capitalier
March 30th, 2016, 10:46 PM

Yayap Gerik or Crypt are the only sensible nominations.

edit: or sas.cnl.alpha may he return from the land of rip.

Do you really think Yayap is sensible? I can't be the only one that remembers PlayMafia ~

Do you really think that seniority makes a player?

Yayap
March 31st, 2016, 05:57 AM
I wasn't part of playmafia Cap, what is your point?

Slaol
March 31st, 2016, 09:41 PM
It's only for major flaws, and primarily when those flaws coincide with a lesser intellect trying to argue with the people in charge about something when they are objectively wrong. Things like the fact that the account "Gerick" isn't a member of our community. You can be mentally retarded and disconnected from reality wanting to make a big deal about defending how stupid you are (or someone that supports that kind of moron-like behavior), or you can correct it to 'Gerik' like a regular person when they get something wrong. Instead of being a whiner, or bitching about things.

This post was reported by 2 people that shall remain nameless. I would like to make a public statement that it has been edited to remove the part deemed offensive.

Admiral
April 2nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
I am totally a sensible option.