PDA

View Full Version : Archivist

Cryptonic
August 17th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Role Name: Archivist
Alignment: Town and/or Mafia
Game Size(s): Larger games preferred, as more people create in-depth last wills in large games.
Abilities: Target one player at night, receiving a copy of their last will.
Win Condition: Win with own faction.
Intended Purpose: Another investigative role, useful for determining not only a player's role, but all their night information.
Meta-Game Implications: Role would cause people (both town and mafia) to create fake last wills in order to confuse an Archivist of the opposing faction. Town would have to find a balance between being useful but not misleading their faction too much.
Possible Cons: This role could possibly prevent people from creating as detailed last wills, but that is not necessarily a bad thing as some players would think that it's a reason to be forward with their information in day chat (things like pseudo-sheriff claims, "If I were sheriff, I checked X last night and he was Town." Player then dies and flips sheriff, doesn't need last will).
Additional Notes: Just 'nother investigation role.

Please let me know what you think!

DarknessB
August 17th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Not that anyone ever plays the variant (either in the FMs I've seen or in the SC2 mod), but this could be very interested in a Clue-type setup where roles are not revealed upon a player's death. This would lead to Town roles wanting to give more useful feedback in their last wills, including perhaps their role. However, a Mafia Archivist could pull that information from an investigation so players would be conflicted on whether / how much to reveal. Another complication could be including a Town Archivist and a Mafia Archivist in the same game, which would really conflict players in terms of how much information they want to reveal in their LWs.

Overall, I feel like some players underutilize LWs so a role that makes them more important could fill a good gap that's missing right now.