PDA

View Full Version : Bodyguard and Mafia Roll Kill Priority (Need Feedback!)

Goonswarm
May 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
So currently I feel there is an issue with how bodyguard fits into the metagame. I think that it is very satisfying if you die and take out another hostile target even if you die, much like the jester win condition tied to death. I do however think that having a Godfather + 2 support mafia makes bodyguard very trivial, to the point of complete dissapointment.

It is difficult enough to protect the right target let alone have someone that is not immune attack it.

Here is the changes I feel would help to make the bodyguard more all or nothing.

The Godfather is the mafia head and is very strong, all other mafia when alone or without him are able to kill and promote to mafioso. I feel that the Godfather should never be the one to kill if other mafia is alive regardless of role. That would be like sending the Manager to clean up the spill on aisle 3 instead of the minimum wage clerks in a grocery store. Here is what i recommend:

If GF is alive he will not be the one sent to do killings as long as he has subordinates, his lackeys regardless of role will be sent (they are able to kill if they are able to be promoted to mafioso when alone imo).
In this regard the BG will be able to protect someone and take down a member of the mafia if a successful save is made nearly every time in the early to mid game. This would also help in regards to having Roleblockable GF's being shut down randomly and having him outed. This imo would balance the BG and mafia. It would pretty much rule out the usefulness of mafioso but I hardly see those anyway since other roles are more fun. Here is how it would go down...

GF + Blackmailer + Consig
VS
Sheriff + Bodyguard Protecting him

GF Orders a kill on sheriff, Blackmailer (since lesser in seniority is sent to do the dirty work). Sheriff is saved and BG dies but kills the attacking Blackmailer in the process.

By using this method and game mechanics the BG is rewarded nearly always for doing his duty and the mafia is punished for carelessness and loses a member of their team.

I feel this change would be alot better than giving the BG immunity negating shots and would also benefit both sides when a BG is randomed or set in the game. Please post feedback below, thanks!

Clawtrocity
May 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
GF can already be immune to role blockers

BG can already kill through immunity.

Mafioso's either need to get a lot more points for mafia then or have a new ability given to them.

Bar the mafioso change this might be a good idea.

McKinley
May 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Well I like this idea, and yes he can kill through immunity; which is why this idea is grand. If BG is able to kill through immunity, that means the GF won't die from a really bad mistake and instead a utility mafia member will die instead. When the GF usually dies, mafia tends to spiral downwards heavily and usually end up losing. This change would add a new factor from mafia defeats, and will also help learning curves for newer players.

Overall, I think this is a superb idea.

Dark.Revenant
May 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
The problem is people add a shitton of power roles for the town and then the measly 3 mafia vs 9 town power roles vs 2 neutrals becomes rather ridiculous. The Mafia are designed to have Mafiosi, plain and simple.

In any case, by default the Godfather is not immune and the Bodyguard doesn't pierce immunity. I made it so that even if two mafia roles are left, if there are no killing roles, one (random) becomes a Mafioso. I also made it so Bodyguard can't be healed to survive a protection.

Zack
May 23rd, 2011, 12:53 AM
Just saying, you know, my "Flexible Mafia" suggestion contains what was suggested here, among other things :P

Dark.Revenant
May 23rd, 2011, 01:51 AM
And your suggestion requires a total rewrite of the night events UI and sequencing code.

wightsnow
May 23rd, 2011, 02:10 AM
And your suggestion requires a total rewrite of the night events UI and sequencing code.

Lol, I'm going to trust DR in that he knows what he's doing once a problem has been pointed out. I haven't seen anything he hasn't either directly addressed in a fair and timely manner or turned into host option.

Dark.Revenant
May 23rd, 2011, 02:14 AM
I eventually might get around to doing just about anything. But my answers are essentially for the current 2-4 week period, generally.

Krismighty
May 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I don't really like the bodygaurd all in all. Hes just like a doctor with luggage on his back.

DeadDiver
May 25th, 2011, 08:44 AM
im not a big fan either, why sacrifice yourself? to spend time in the graveyard for 20+ mins??

wightsnow
May 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
in the graveyard for 20+ mins??

Don't play with laggers. With the new options, he can kill a mafia sometimes even if they're GF. He will definitely kill a mafioso. Sometimes that's all you need to tip it in the towns favor. It reveals who's been voting together after they die sometimes.

North Star
May 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I also wish the GF could send a non-mafiaso to do the killing. Too many times have I played when the GF winds up dead after trying to kill the wrong person. Maybe a "become mafiaso when no more mafiaso" options could be used.

Dark.Revenant
May 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
The other roles are busy doing their own thing. It would really screw with the coding of the game to give them the ability to kill and do their own ability at the same time, from a roleblock/bus driving/witch etc. standpoint.