PDA

View Full Version : Illiteracy

FM Commander Spock
July 18th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I don't recall seeing Illiteracy in the game mechanics, can you give me more information?

Forum Mafia GM
July 18th, 2014, 08:08 PM
I don't recall seeing Illiteracy in the game mechanics, can you give me more information?

When you signed up, you said you had read all three threads. Inside all three of the threads was a secondary signup question(1 per thread). Since you said you read all the threads, yet didn't answer any of the questions, we assumed your character was illiterate.

FM Commander Spock
July 18th, 2014, 10:28 PM
When you signed up, you said you had read all three threads. Inside all three of the threads was a secondary signup question(1 per thread). Since you said you read all the threads, yet didn't answer any of the questions, we assumed your character was illiterate.

I am officially requesting replacement. While I appreciate your effort in putting together this FM it is clear this game will not be at all entertaining. As I am one of the players that reads the setups more thoroughly than most and I did not notice any of said questions because of their clever placement.

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM
I am officially requesting replacement. While I appreciate your effort in putting together this FM it is clear this game will not be at all entertaining. As I am one of the players that reads the setups more thoroughly than most and I did not notice any of said questions because of their clever placement.

I think you are overreacting. Almost everyone has this debuff, and I gave it more out of frustration that hardly anyone saw at least one question. Its not like I hid them very well.

Rules Thread (I colored them orange now. They are white/grey in the threads).

Rules:

9- Behavior:
I expect all players to act maturely and use common sense when posting. That being said, this is Mafia and it is understood that insults can be effective day chat tools. I will contact you via PM to discuss questionable posts. To sign up, answer the following question in your sign up PM: Do you prefer dogs or cats? Behavior deemed inappropriate will result in an infraction on your main account. Repeat offenders will be mod-killed.

Races / Abilities:

Engineering:
Journalist (day): Your target will be able to write 200 characters into the next RP.
Busdriver: Use the transporter to swap 2 players. (from a distance)
Blacksmith: Create cheap armor that absorbs 2 damage.
Blacksmith: Create 1 shot Medium powered phaser. (every extra charge spent will give +2 shots)
Blacksmith: Create 1 shot sleep dart gun - roleblock (puts the person to sleep) (every extra charge spent will give +2 shots)
Blacksmith: Create Medium weapon energy source. (range weapons upgraded to +3 damage and are no longer have limited shots [if applicable])
Blacksmith: Create 1 shot phaser rifle. (every extra charge spent will give +2 shots)
Blacksmith: Create Heavy Armour that absorbs 6 damage.
Blacksmith: Create Varon-T Disruptor [Black Market] - 1 shot kills and vaporizes the body (name will show up in graveyard as ???, coroners cannot find location nor cause of death, [coroners must target the name - not ???])
Signups: In your signup PM, answer this question: What is 2+2?

Game Mechanics:

[B]5- Modkills and replacements:

Breaking any rules will result in being replaced or a casualty. Replacements will not be announced, modkills will appear as a distinct host intervention. In your sign up PM, answer the following question: What is your favorite color?

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Regardless, I think you are overreacting. I have many more things planned for the game that everyone will enjoy and I think you will too. Don't short yourself on something very fun before it even starts <3.

I'll let you think it over.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Regardless, I think you are overreacting. I have many more things planned for the game that everyone will enjoy and I think you will too. Don't short yourself on something very fun before it even starts <3.

I'll let you think it over.

I actually don't think I'm overreacting, and this is why, how can I focus on the game when dealing with a host who feels the need to change the game on a whim.

As for why you are frustrated about almost nobody noticing them, that was exactly the point I was trying to make your placement of them encouraged them to be missed. If you want to know why you can do a little research on the perception process. You will discover the brain actually ignores what it perceives to be irrelevant information.

Anyways, like I said, I am not interested in participating in a game where I have to focus more on the rules than the game in order to avoid getting penalized by the hosts. It will require too much time to be focused on the less relevant portion of the game and I just don't have time for it.

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I actually don't think I'm overreacting, and this is why, how can I focus on the game when dealing with a host who feels the need to change the game on a whim.

As for why you are frustrated about almost nobody noticing them, that was exactly the point I was trying to make your placement of them encouraged them to be missed. If you want to know why you can do a little research on the perception process. You will discover the brain actually ignores what it perceives to be irrelevant information.

Anyways, like I said, I am not interested in participating in a game where I have to focus more on the rules than the game in order to avoid getting penalized by the hosts. It will require too much time to be focused on the less relevant portion of the game and I just don't have time for it.
I understand how you feel. There was no mention in the rules about this debuff. I don't know if Yayap plans to remove it or if he wants it to stay. However, this is a one-off thing. We aren't planning on doing anything else like this because there is no more having to read pages of information from the host. No one will be penalized past this.

I contacted Yayap when you first posted, and he has yet to get back to me. You can't be replaced until then.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I understand how you feel. There was no mention in the rules about this debuff. I don't know if Yayap plans to remove it or if he wants it to stay. However, this is a one-off thing. We aren't planning on doing anything else like this because there is no more having to read pages of information from the host. No one will be penalized past this.

I contacted Yayap when you first posted, and he has yet to get back to me. You can't be replaced until then.

Well, unless it is removed from EVERYONE. I am gone.

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Well, unless it is removed from EVERYONE. I am gone.

We are only going to remove it from you because you complained. I'm not unfair. :P

Shadow, while I would love for you to play, I think you blew this way out of proportion and I don't think you would want to play no matter what we do at this point. I still haven't heard from Yayap, and I will let you know when I do.

SIDE NOTE: The sarcasm "tags" don't appear in the new posts. The more you know! xD

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 09:31 AM
We are only going to remove it from you because you complained. I'm not unfair. :P

Shadow, while I would love for you to play, I think you blew this way out of proportion and I don't think you would want to play no matter what we do at this point. I still haven't heard from Yayap, and I will let you know when I do.

SIDE NOTE: The sarcasm "tags" don't appear in the new posts. The more you know! xD

Honestly, I wasn't really worried if I didn't get to play, but your response. Is yet another example of what I don't to deal with. So I think I'm out regardless tbh.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Honestly, I wasn't really worried if I didn't get to play, but your response. Is yet another example of what I don't to deal with. So I think I'm out regardless tbh.

Sorry, I think I misread your previous post. Ignore this response. For some reason I interpreted your post that you didn't want me to play because I wanted things to be fair.

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Sorry, I think I misread your previous post. Ignore this response. For some reason I interpreted your post that you didn't want me to play because I wanted things to be fair.

Woot! Don't worry, we'll see how everything goes. Either Yayap will say "They said they read the setup but didn't answer the questions, so they obviously can't read." OR "Haha, I got you guys. Now that I have the roles handed out and the game is underway, the illiterate thing is gone! Make sure to read the setup more carefully next time!!"

It's Yayap's game, I just talk to the players xD

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I actually caught the post you deleted, and tbh it made me realize that I probably am reacting poorly to the situation, so lets start over. I feel the purpose of a FM is to facilitate a game on behalf of the players. It is common knowledge on this site that many players don't read the setup prior to signing up and some of those players neglect to read the setup even after it starts. I fully understand that it is extremely important with this setup's mechanics that players read and understand the setup.

As usual it turns out that players did not read the setup word for word as you would have liked, and that presents a problem for your game. I get all that. The concern I have is the approach you took to resolving the issue, the first response was a global insult to all players, and a penalty to gameplay because of expected mistakes. This type of behavior is likely to be repeated. I personally find it hard enough to ignore the insults from players during the game who are using them as a method to sway the town to their point of view without getting such criticisms from the impartial players, the Game Master.

Since the setup was not all inclusive and things were intentionally left out for the gameplay experience there is still potential for similar issues to occur. It would not at all be conducive to my experience or that of the other players to repeat this situation, that is why I am concerned about my participation in this game. I expect from the hosts exaggerated responses to trivial issues based on this mechanic, as no doubt you now expect from me.

Basically, I feel that the appropriate response would have been a helpful note informing that I missed some sections of the setup and should review it again to ensure I fully understand the setup.

You are probably right that I overreacted, but the point still stands that dealing with 30+ players is confusing enough without the host having to throw curve balls to prove a point.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM
It's also relevant to point out that his game actually in my case produced the opposite effect he intended as instead of reviewing the setup again as I normally would do as a game starts, I am more preoccupied with deciding whether or not I actually want to participate. And focusing my efforts in speaking with you about the penalty my character received.

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Yayap here:

First off - why I added the 3 hidden questions in the setup:
I've hosted/co-hosted many FMs over the past 5 years (not all on this site) and it has always been a reoccurring problem that the players assume they know everything and skip reading the setup. Then throughout the game, I get really annoying questions asked that are perfectly answered in the setup pages. Having to answer those kinds of questions or link them to the information is both a waste of my time when I have hundreds of things to do to make sure this game runs smoothly and detracting from the actual game.

Now you say you read the setup carefully, and I appreciate that. Especially in this game where most of the common FM mechanics are different. However you are part of the minority if you read everything.. as a Host I can see who has read a thread at the bottom and I happen to have been online for most of the day when signups were opened. You would be surprised how many signup PMs I got before they even looked at the setup, most simply read the signup page. I also know that people need more than 1 minute to read the entire setup.. so getting a PM from a person who had just started reading the setup was disappointing as well.

Now I was lenient when giving out the -1HP, out of the 3 questions, I only handed out the debuff to those that didn't answer any of them. Answering at least 1 was satisfactory to me. And it is a 1 time hit... it does not repeat.

Now about what you can do to regain your health back:
If you have read the setup, I'm sure you noticed the locations part. It's a very simple step to regain what ever was lost, I'll be posting instructions on what to do to get there later today when the story takes off and things really get started.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Yayap here:

First off - why I added the 3 hidden questions in the setup:
I've hosted/co-hosted many FMs over the past 5 years (not all on this site) and it has always been a reoccurring problem that the players assume they know everything and skip reading the setup. Then throughout the game, I get really annoying questions asked that are perfectly answered in the setup pages. Having to answer those kinds of questions or link them to the information is both a waste of my time when I have hundreds of things to do to make sure this game runs smoothly and detracting from the actual game.

Now you say you read the setup carefully, and I appreciate that. Especially in this game where most of the common FM mechanics are different. However you are part of the minority if you read everything.. as a Host I can see who has read a thread at the bottom and I happen to have been online for most of the day when signups were opened. You would be surprised how many signup PMs I got before they even looked at the setup, most simply read the signup page. I also know that people need more than 1 minute to read the entire setup.. so getting a PM from a person who had just started reading the setup was disappointing as well.

Now I was lenient when giving out the -1HP, out of the 3 questions, I only handed out the debuff to those that didn't answer any of them. Answering at least 1 was satisfactory to me. And it is a 1 time hit... it does not repeat.

Now about what you can do to regain your health back:
If you have read the setup, I'm sure you noticed the locations part. It's a very simple step to regain what ever was lost, I'll be posting instructions on what to do to get there later today when the story takes off and things really get started.

Are you suggesting I should spend 2 nights in sick bay to get my health back? Honestly that wasn't my plan at all. I had intended to do some trading with the ferengi.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Are you suggesting I should spend 2 nights in sick bay to get my health back? Honestly that wasn't my plan at all. I had intended to do some trading with the ferengi.

Meh maybe it's just one, I forgot my regen penalty was from human sources which sick bay is not?

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 11:10 AM
;)

Pretty much, anyone that has the -1 HP can easily get it back before any real damage is done. No one will have enough charges to attack during the day. Being only -1 HP, I expect some to even wait till later before seeking medical help.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 11:31 AM
;)

Pretty much, anyone that has the -1 HP can easily get it back before any real damage is done. No one will have enough charges to attack during the day. Being only -1 HP, I expect some to even wait till later before seeking medical help.

Well obviously you seem to think location is a lot less important than I expected it to be from what I got out of the setup. I suppose I will wait and see what happens. When are role cards being handed out?

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I'm working on them now - I had planned to release everything in 3h30m (24hours rt after start of day). Making final adjustments with peoples activity levels (didn't want all the lurkers to be on the same alignment)..

Locations are important - but not as much for the first evening/night when very few people will have enough charge to do night actions.

FM Commander Spock
July 19th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm working on them now - I had planned to release everything in 3h30m (24hours rt after start of day). Making final adjustments with peoples activity levels (didn't want all the lurkers to be on the same alignment)..

Locations are important - but not as much for the first evening/night when very few people will have enough charge to do night actions.

That's smart, but I don't think you should have told me that ...

Forum Mafia GM
July 19th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I'm not to worried that you know - you don't know which way I was adjusting them. :P