PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Theory - Buddying

Yayap
May 10th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Requested topic.

Common thought is that buddying is used more by scum and usually indicates links between players. True or False?

also:
What purposes are there for buddying?

My thoughts coming next week, in the meantime, discuss!

Yayap
May 10th, 2014, 05:53 AM
In my personal opinion, buddying is used by everyone. However, it does shows a link of some sort.

Town who buddy usually have a reason to do so, whether it be because of some night action feedback they received, gut feeling (not recommended... but it happens all the time), or other reasons.

Scum on the other hand, tend to buddy with people to try to get on their good side.. which has been much less effective than a few years ago. Scum also decide early on if they will support each other or avoid each other like the plague... usually to avoid analytical players who look for these buddying links.

Knowing how to decipher which reasons the person is buddying can lead to an edge in a FM.

Orpz
May 10th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Buddying's used by anyone and has a fairly equal distribution among town and mafia, so I never use it to call out anyone.

ika
May 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM
if anything is player oriented.

theres so many unique ways to kinda look at it.

some scums bus their allies like hell, others may distance, some do the buddying.

really its inconclusive because it is more player oriented. not even playstlye (the way yap veiws everone), its just indvidual players and how they like to play scum.

I have seen games where scums buddy like no tommorw. I have seen games where scums bus like hell. I have seen games where they avoid each other alltogether.

Really its only viable if you knwo how a player plays as scum most of the time. But even then its not 100% viable strat to use to find scums.

xRavenx
May 10th, 2014, 10:20 AM
It depends, although from what I've seen scum tends not to buddy because when one turns up as scum town tends to attack the people buddying them. So it's kind of backwards since town gets attacked for buddying mafia. It's not good to use it as a strategy to find scum the majority of the time.

Nick
May 20th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Take into consideration things they did and things they didn't.

louiswill
May 21st, 2014, 02:05 PM
False. No buddy no victory for standard 6 vs 3

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Nick
May 21st, 2014, 09:54 PM
False. No buddy no victory for standard 6 vs 3
Erm. Standard is 7v2.
Max 3 mislynches for town.

Auckmid
May 21st, 2014, 10:03 PM
Imo, buddying is meta dependent. If people decide that there is nothing scummy about buddying, mafia will feel safe using it as a tactic. Eventually, once people will see that mafia players commonly buddy, it will become a scum-tell and the experienced mafia members will stop doing it, causing only the newer/social players of all factions to do it, reverting it back to null. Mafia members will then feel comfortable using it as a tactic again, creating a bit of a see-saw effect.

Also, I disagree that there is any sort of reason behind a lot of things which many town members do.

louiswill
May 21st, 2014, 10:39 PM
Erm. Standard is 7v2.
Max 3 mislynches for town.

7v2 town with no TPR? fine for me then. OF course you don't need buddy for a setup with no TPR.

IF someone has to be the idiot to keep the seesaw going then the first choice would be me.

Vantas
May 22nd, 2014, 03:54 AM
While buddying shows a bond, I see it as them just being in the background being "Yeah! What he said!" So to me, it's very noncontributing in that way, and that's what leads to suspicion. That they don't provide evidence themselves, not the act of buddying itself. But I agree with that buddying has to happen for some reason. Everything we do happens for a reason. But how buddying is done, by usually not adding contribution on your own to me leads to what I don't like about it. They get a free ride without using logic, and that wouldn't be gotten away done elsewhere.

Nick
May 22nd, 2014, 04:15 AM
Someone please define buddying. Different people are talking about different things.

MathBlade
July 19th, 2014, 11:20 AM
For me buddying is when I am really nice to a player,defend them, and are usually of a similar mindset. It may or may not include sheeping.