PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the Cult Leader role?

Elizabeth
September 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Just a simple poll I want everyone to vote for. While this is still Moderators decision, I don't see why a Moderator would to include a roll in a game if no one wants it.

Joshua
September 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I kinda like the cult leader role for forum mafia but I think it needs more counter measures/less power, in future forum mafias. Stuff like veterans, revolutonists, an addtional enforcer, 2 starting masons rather then just 1, perhaps the samurai role from epicmafia. I think I could come up with a fairly good role list balance wise.

As far as reducing cult's power goes, I'd say a good starting point would be limiting the power of roles recruited into the cult would be a good start. For instance, they participate in rituals at least every other night (excluding cult leader) preventing them from using their ability's on that night. They could willingly take a break from their role on a night they could use their ability to do the ritual on that night instead.

Or you could take claw's idea in the last forum mafia and take their abilities away after a few nights.

Candice
September 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
The only reason the cult will win this game is because the entire player base forfeited to make sure I lost. It has nothing to do with the amount of counter measures. Raiden and I defeated the cult in FM2 without enforcers or docs being able to prevent culting.

Joshua
September 30th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Cult got extremely unlucky that game. Each mafia was only a size of 3 and quickly got reduced to 2 each early in the game, whereas in this game 5 town roles died before any scum/beign neutral died. The neutral has failed to kill anyone at all, not mafia not cult not even a single town. As seen in forum mafia 2 what it takes to beat cult is: for cult to get unlucky, masons to prosper, scum to deal significant damage to eachother and the cult to die off early and often.

As long as cult is in the game it will be hard for mafia to get a victory unless their mafia has counter measures.

Joshua
September 30th, 2011, 01:06 AM
scum to deal significant damage to eachother

Scratch that.

Theodore
September 30th, 2011, 01:25 AM
The CL is not a bad role in it of itself, it is just bad when considering the setup. Especially this one.

The real problem is that town needs to kill SO MANY roles. Obviously, Elixir tried to compensate for this by making 2 vigs, but as you can see, it didn't work/wasn't enough.

From past experience, I think the best time to add CL is when there is only one mafia team and a single killing neutral.

Yvette
September 30th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I personally don't find the cult op. What you call "bad luck" is often a result of how a player fares. For example (sorry for bringing this up again), i had monster as scum since day 1 in fm3 because he wanted night to start soon. If i were the jailor, i would have jailed either him or claw and no one else. Now the real jailor did it almost randomly but that's not the point. In this FM, sonya has been unlucky when she was blocked and had his dog killed (lol), but then she was cleared from all accuses by the bus driver when she was investigated by janet (who was subsequently recruited). FM1, the town wasn't able to pull a lynch, and Narks' awesome trolling did the rest. As with many other occurrences, it's the best players who often deserve to win.

The only time i can remember cult being REALLY unlucky was FM2, because elixir was forced to reveal the culted serial killer due to a mistake. And then i randomly accused spy. Rofl.

Joshua
September 30th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Well then theres the raiden randomly accusing spy as the cult leader, falsetruth's plan to cult goonswarm completely backfiring and ummm well bout it.

Joshua
September 30th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Well then theres the raiden randomly accusing spy as the cult leader

Well scratch that, didn't notice you had mentioned it. Still those were pretty goddamn huge events.

Candice
September 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Well then theres the raiden randomly accusing spy as the cult leader, falsetruth's plan to cult goonswarm completely backfiring and ummm well bout it.

That had nothing to do with luck.

Yvette
September 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, if anything, that was doctor's fault. Both us and cult knew it was a gamble to target goon that night. They could have gone for better targets, while we were pretty much forced to do it or else i'd have died.

Velma
October 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CULT

even if cult gets utterly screwed like they did this game, they can still win, its bull

Todd
October 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
The CL is not a bad role in it of itself, it is just bad when considering the setup. Especially this one.

The real problem is that town needs to kill SO MANY roles. Obviously, Elixir tried to compensate for this by making 2 vigs, but as you can see, it didn't work/wasn't enough.

From past experience, I think the best time to add CL is when there is only one mafia team and a single killing neutral.

I agree with this, if we have a cult it shouldn't be in a faction with so many scum. I think the cult itself is fairly well balanced except i think everyone who gets culted should die when the leader is culted, no exceptions.

Jimmy1
October 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I don't think that the cult is OP either. However, I think it would be funny if all but one cultist suicides when the cult leader dies... you know, for the lulz...

Elixir
October 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM
It's not like Cult Leader is immune at night.

I bet we'd probably see this thread in the polar opposite form if the cult leader was shot night 1.

Candice
October 9th, 2011, 01:03 AM

I bet we'd probably see this thread in the polar opposite form if the cult leader was shot night 1.

I completely agree. The cult's current strength lies in the fact that town decided to throw the game day 4 and the fact that the student decided to grab the cult leader over anyone else(I'm sure he would have picked me instead had he been able to find me before I died)

Velma
October 9th, 2011, 01:15 AM

Not at all. If cult leader was shot night one. That was just mafia lucky guessing. The power of the cult is tricking people into thinking they're town while not being too important power roles, OR being important enough to get heals.

We'd hear the polar opposite if the cult played badly and we're shot. Oh wait, that was this game, the only reason they're still alive is cause of the other neutrals *cough* Soul bait *cough* *cough* Spree Killer *cough* *cough* Student *cough*

Candice
October 9th, 2011, 01:34 AM
So what you're saying is that the cult isn't inherently imbalanced to the point where poor play can be ignored by them completely and still pull off a win.

I'm glad we agree.

Velma
October 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Im saying, the cult becomes overpowered if there are a lot of neutrals to distract peopl while they gain numbers

Candice
October 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM
That is not the cult being overpowered, it's just a setup having one or two too many high priority neutrals.

If a setup has 7 masons, 3 spies, and pms on, does that make the spy overpowered? Or is it just that the setup is lacking slightly?

Velma
October 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
This setup was undoubtedly geared towards a neutral winning, be it cult/beast/or spree killer

Candice
October 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Then you have no argument. This is the first game to have 3 separate anti-cult methods.

Elizabeth
October 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm going to lock the poll at 20 votes. We got the basic information, which is that the number of people whose like, dislike, and feel apathetic towards the cult are preaty even.