PDA

View Full Version : Yet again, theme suggestion for next FM!

Brian
September 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM
The theme is... Future of the Tentacles

In this alternate universe of Day of the Tentacle Bernard and his friends failed to stop Purple Tentacle and the tentacles rule the earth in the future (the future Laverane traveled to).

There are a few human resistances existing and fighting against the tentacle tyranny, who now use humans as pets. These humans are called Rabid Humans by the tentacles.

Naturally, the town in this setup are all Tentacles! And the Rabid Humans are the mafias.

Role examples:

Tentacle = Special Citizen, these citizens have the ability to visit any home they want. This does affect the game, if they aren't home they can't be killed or converted, but if they are at the home of someone who is attacked/targeted then they die or are converted as well. If they visit humans they can't tell because the humans wear Tentacle disguises as clothes. Visited people do get a message they were visited, but not by who, the message includes how many tentacles visited your home, if more than one did. *This can be alot of work for the moderator, so probably a required thing to have two moderators if these are used.

Catcher = Sheriff. These tentacles specialize in identifying humans through their disguises and can discover who is a human by checking them at night.

Purple Tentacle = Mayor, has 6 votes but cannot be healed. Immune to becoming cult - explained further down. Any Tentacle or Human lynched by his vote will be shrunk by his famous Shrink-Ray and then fed to his pet, a cannibal human.

Healer = Doctor. Tentacles who have learned the arts of healing, they channel special ki found only in tentacles in order to heal their targets. Thus they cannot tell if their patients are tentacles or humans. They do know if their target was attacked or not, however. Additionally they specalize in psychological studies and can alternatively choose to prevent cult recruitment.

Green Tentacle = Revolution Leader. Yes he's still around, and as old as his nemesis. Having drank from the sludge in order to match Purple's intellect he now seeks to become the new supreme ruler of the tentacles, and lead a more human-friendly regimen. Make no mistake however, he won't stand for the Rabid Humans' existance either, he wants order!

Laverane = Godmother. Stuck in the future with no backup and noway to return, Laverane steals the now tentacle-shaped flag of the united states from the mansion's roof to use as her disguise. Surprisingly this makes even Catchers unable to see through her disguise, maybe because they like the colors. She leads one faction of Rabid Humans and seeks to destroy all tentacles, and her rival faction of humans, The Edisons, who she deeply hates and blames them for the misfortune they caused - for it was their forefather Dr. Fred Edison who created Purple Tentacle and the sludge machine in the first place.

Purple Tentacle the 2nd = Cult Leader. An insane clone of the original Purple Tentacle, he worships what he calls the one true Tentacle God. To Tentacles this seems absurd as they normally have no faith at all. He is very charismatic however, and can sway any Tentacle, and even humans, to join him in his beliefs. This guy actually also wants co-existance between Tentacles and Humans, all united through faith. There is one Tentacle he could never convince however, and that is the original Purple.

Red Bull - An angry cow who accidentally drank from the sludge back in Purple's younger days and gained human intellect and horns. She is female but decided to call herself "Red Bull" after seeing her new horns. She holds a grudge against Purple Tentacle because he tipped her and many other cows when he first gained arms. "Red Bull" is a serial killer out to kill all tentacles, she cannot tell who is a human in disguise and she also doesn't really care, its not like she ever liked humans.

Fraud = Dr. Fred's preserved brain inside a robotic shell. He knew he failed to stop Purple, and that he could never live long enough to do anything about it so he had his brain installed in a new body by his son, Ed. Something went wrong, however, and Fred lost his sanity... All he remembers is that he must destroy tentacles, to that end he plants bombs at night, and can blow them up at night or at day. Yes, he is an "Arsonist".

Well, what do you think? Obviously I can come up with variations of every role for this :P

Elixir
September 28th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I am so freaked out right now I don't have a legitimate response.

Brian
September 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
So, is that good or bad? lol

Yvette
September 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Lol, it would make for a weird forum mafia indeed. Don't scrap it, someone may pick it up.

Anyway, now that you mention it, if anyone has any new role/mechanic suggestions for fm7, feel free to tell me. I am already at work, since i have nothing better to do atm :)

Faye
September 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I challenge you to come up with another way to figure out/disprove a lie.

We have tracking, investigating, blocking, and killing.

Invent something that does none of these things, but works well with the game.

I'll think about it as well.

Yvette
September 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I challenge you to come up with another way to figure out/disprove a lie.

We have tracking, investigating, blocking, and killing.

Invent something that does none of these things, but works well with the game.

I'll think about it as well.

Hm. We will most probably include masons, which can perform "investigative" duties too. We will probably have a jailor. Let's see how else we could disprove a lie...

/brainstorming on

First thought that comes to mind: we make a town role who can reveal 1 hidden role per night (our setup will be semi-closed just like this one). You say, like "reveal hidden red mafia" and you get to know that role (obviously you don't get to know who's the player behind it). We call it... a Diviner.

pros: new mechanic

cons: doesn't work well with roles that rely on visiting (spree killer, veteran, detective, lookout).

Amber
September 29th, 2011, 02:01 AM
ROFL

Yvette
September 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
We will probably add this role in our FM. I'd like to have some feedback before taking the final decision.

http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,2664.0.html

Brian
September 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Well... That role is like a survivor with some extra buffs instead of vests. Its cool if you want a survivor in play. Essentially he'l have to help the town and avoid being culted, if there is no cult he could simply claim early after helping someone to prove his claim.

Will you please add my Tormentor role for next FM? heh, it really has a way to affect the game, more towards the endgame if he survives that long. Can really make things interesting... If not directly, then into the random pool at least? Pretty please? ;)

Yvette
September 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Well... That role is like a survivor with some extra buffs instead of vests. Its cool if you want a survivor in play. Essentially he'l have to help the town and avoid being culted, if there is no cult he could simply claim early after helping someone to prove his claim.

Will you please add my Tormentor role for next FM? heh, it really has a way to affect the game, more towards the endgame if he survives that long. Can really make things interesting... If not directly, then into the random pool at least? Pretty please? ;)

He can win with the cult, and would be a useful asset to it. Why do you think he should avoid it?

Also, please link your role. I will read it and then consider what to do.

Brian
September 29th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Well, he'l want to avoid being culted because it would tie him down to one faction, while normally he can win with anyone by just surviving. The cult will want him, but he won't want the cult.

Tormentor: http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,1421.msg12424.html

Note that I suggested it for SC2 Mafia so in Forum Mafia an adjustment is required: No silencing ability, instead an ability to send annonymus PMs to his victim during the day (through the moderator).

Brian
September 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Oh and since in FM there are no trials, another adjustment: The Tormentor is not allowed to vote for his victim during the day, if he does so and his target is lynched he forfeits victory and will suicide at the end of the day infront of the entire town.

Brian
September 30th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I forgot to mention how culting works with the Tormentor, when culted he becomes a cult-side Jailor and loses his previous win conditions as well as his day PM ability. He still shows as Tormentor in the night chat of the person he chooses to jail, so if he jails diffrent people each night and they all live they will know he is a part of the cult. Normally he cannot execute, but maybe under cult control he'l be able to execute once? This is debatable.

Brian
September 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Well, here's another theme suggestion: Valkyrie Profile

You can read about it on wiki if you aren't familiar with it, and.. if you have never played this game, then you must play it!

Role examples:

Lenneth = Sealed Valkyrie. This is a variation of Amnesiac, she can choose any role in the game at day or at night, and not just from the graveyard but any role that is available in the setup or the random pool - excluding unique roles of course. Once she decides there is no turning back. Note that even if she chooses a town role she will remain neutral and not aligned with the town, her choice is not announced. Lenneth must see the town lose, as well as Loki and Lezard Valeth. She can win with Brahms or Surt if she chooses to cooperate with one of them. Lenneth cannot be recruited by Loki.

Odin = Mayor. Has 5 votes and can be healed, however he is never safe from Lezard Valeth, if Lezard has possession of Silmeria's soul - Lezard will be able to kill him no matter what, even bodyguards will be ignored. Only a bus driver could save Odin then. Cannot be recruited by Loki. Invulnerable at night until he reveals his identity, but Lezard can bypass this if he has Silmeria.

Freya - Goddess. This is a variation of Veteran/Vigi. While Odin lives Freya is invulnerable at all times and will shoot anyone visiting her. If Odin dies Freya becomes a Vigilante with unlimited shots (!!) who can also shoot once during the day, but then she can die at night. She can be killed by Brahms if Silmeria joins him. Cannot be recruited by Loki, infact she will kill him if he tries while she is still a Veteran.

Hrist = Loyal Valkyrie. A variation of Jailor. Hrist can jail every night and execute regardless of lynches, she starts with 1 execution and her max number of executions will change according to the number of town-aligned players in the graveyard. For every 3 dead townies she can execute once more. If recruited by Loki her max executions will change to +1 for each 2 members of the cult. Becoming cult will not refresh her spent executions though.

Brahms = Lord of the Dead (Godfather). Being hunted by Odin and Freya for being an undead and loving Silmeria, Brahms has no other choice but to fight. Together with his minions he must bring the town to an end, as well as kill Lezard and Loki, unless Loki recruits him.

Alicia = Soul of Silmeria. Alicia is a princess from Dipan who has merged with a valkyrie's soul. She is sought after by almost every faction, and whoever gets possession of her first will benefit. If killed by Brahms she will become Silmeria and be a part of the mafia, she will gain Lenneth's power to choose her role - but will be limited to mafia roles. If killed by Lezard then Silmeria's soul will merge with him, granting him more power. If recruited by Loki or Surt she gains the same power as Lenneth, except on the side of the cult or rebellion. If she is on Brahms' side she will protect him from Freya and allow him to kill her. Once recruited by a side she cannot change alignment again. If killed by the town in any way (vigi/jailor/lynch) her soul will be destroyed forever. She will earn a special win achievement if she's unconverted and she and Rufus survive to see any faction win.

Loki = Cult Leader. The traitor, wishes to overthrow Odin and rule Valhalla himself.

Arngrim = Variation of Bodyguard, has 1 automatic vest.

Surt = Revolution Leader. Can recruit citizens, but can also recruit Silmeria by recruiting or killing Alicia.

Lezard Valeth = Serial Killer until he kills Alicia. If Lezard kills Alicia he gains the soul of Silmeria for himself, granting him the power of a Serial Disguiser. He will then disguise as his targets and will keep switching bodies every night! As well as ignore bodyguards and doctors. Lezard kills roleblockers, and will disguise as the roleblocker too if he has Silmeria. Note that Lezard must kill Alicia before anyone else reaches her, if she changes alignment he cannot take her soul. Lezard will refuse to kill Lenneth and will be informed of her identity instead, he must kill everyone but Lenneth. If Lenneth dies at any time Lezard will kill twice the following night, and he will still want to kill everyone. He has one auto-vest.

Rufus = Dying Elf. Variation of Student, his mentor is not decided by him, rather by Alicia's fate. If Alicia becomes Silmeria and joins Brahms then Rufus will have Odin as his mentor, but will become a standard Mayor of his own accord (no immunity) if Odin dies - Odin dying will still trigger Freya's change even if Rufus is his student. If Silmeria joins the Cult or the Rebels then Lezard will become his mentor. If Silmeria's soul is destroyed by the town or killed by Lezard then Brahms will become his mentor. If his assigned mentor is already dead at the time of Alicia's death/change then he will be free to choose his mentor on his own. He will earn a special win achievement if he and unconverted Alicia survive to see any faction win.

So, is this one better? Alot of special roles though, heh

Matthew
October 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood theme. (I demand to co-host if so. =D)
God of War theme.

Matthew
October 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
God of War theme.

I am NorthStar.

Sonya
October 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
matthew, are you sas? :P

Jane
October 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM

/Second

Sonya
October 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
i think elix wanted to do that already:3

Elixir
October 4th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Wow. Way to call out my next one.

(though its not just brotherhood)...

Joshua
October 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Didn't you mention something about assassin's creed being a possible theme for one of your upcoming forum mafias? Besides here anyways.

Elixir
October 5th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Probably.

Matthew
October 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Probably.

So do I get to co-host? =P

Velma
October 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Deathfire: I wanna help host a Forum Mafia, I have an entire script out too......for Final Fantasy.....lol

Jimmy1
October 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Final Fantasy! OMFG WHEN IS THIS AND HOW CAN I BE A PART OF IT?!

Elixir
October 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
FM VII will be...

I believe it's similar to my scenario 3 you can find: http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,2115.0.html

Brian
October 9th, 2011, 02:21 AM
So you'd really make Corneo the second mafia? It technically fits, but I still think Yuffie is much better for it. Corneo makes a perfect Jester, considering in the end everyone pretty much wanted to kill him cus he's so annoying :P

It also makes the RP deaths more interesting... Cus, killed by Shinra = bullets / slashed to death by SOLDIER agent. And killed by Yuffie = Shurikens / Ninjutsu technique. Corneo would pretty much just have bullets or blunt objects, nothing more.

Joshua
October 9th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Corneo makes a perfect Jester, considering in the end everyone pretty much wanted to kill him cus he's so annoying :P

If they want him to die, why would they sucide cuz they lynched him?

Yvette
October 9th, 2011, 02:49 AM
We decided to change some stuff in our FM, mostly for balance/rp reasons. We also decided to use a different moment in the timeline. President Shinra is still alive and is the godfather of the red mafia, while the second mafia is composed of member of the turks. Their independent and undisciplined nature has lead to an internal struggle for power. In the end we thought that Don Corneo wasn't fit to lead a whole mafia team, unless it was composed of consorts only :p

Yuffie is also present in the form of this role: http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,2664.0.html

The setup will be semiclosed, just like the one Elixir used for this game.