PDA

View Full Version : Role Idea: Priest

townkrier
May 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Here is the general idea:

Align: Town
Win Conditions: Town

Backstory: Priest is a must in most communities, but even more so in an Italian setting (ironic, eh?). The priest spends his time trying to convert sinners into saints.

Abilities: Priest can charm 1 person to leave their previous role, whatever it may be, and become an upstanding Citizen. The character will still appear to be the same role (mafia to mafia, mason to mason, etc) but they will not have the ability any longer. (Admittedly, this part gets tricky because then how do they not tell who the mafia is. Not sure how it works, just was an initial thought).

Death Ability: If the priest should die at night, the community, up in arms over his death, will seek revenge. Two lynchings can be done (back to back) the night after a priest's death.

Goonswarm
May 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I think this is a great idea and would put this in my game over a vigilante any day. You would be able to limit the number of conversions possible in the game and by doing such would prevent the horrible random vig shootings that occur and tend to ruin games. The priest would simply be able to use logic and convert based on the evidence presented and unlike a vigilante if he wasted a conversion on a town member there is simply no effect. Where as if the vig wastes a shot on a town member by accident the town is punished severely for the vigilantes mistake.

Not sure how the implications and final role would be laid out but I think the concept is sound, great idea.

Mysterymeat
May 12th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Pretty good idea but to me noob priest can be as dangerous as noob vig. If preiest randomly charmed then he could end up turning a doctor or sheriff into citizen. However, otherwise I think the concept of charming could work, but as you said notifiying mafia one member has been changed to cit is difficult as they know who it is. The 2nd ability sounds good too but not changing description kinda sounds like it wouldn't work too well. Most ppl would lynch a mafia changed cit without even considering this, and the fact that it is cit makes town likely just to give it a shot.

I'm thinking you should change it so he can only ppl who are not already townies to town like sk or jester but you only get 1 chance and if person was townie nothing happens.

Faceless
May 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Oh man... I can only imagine the damage this would do to games. It's like vigilante 2.0.

Sounds really fun despite the fact that he'd be a suicide inducing machine from hell.

I can just see the death messages now...

"Harold inexplicably shot himself last night. Harold's role was Citizen."

"Harold left us his last will:
$&@! YOU PRIEST"

Elixir
May 13th, 2011, 12:34 AM
You can already do back to back lynchings assuming the day length you set is long enough.

Dark.Revenant
May 13th, 2011, 12:44 AM
No, you can't. You can have multiple trials, but not lynches.

Fulla
May 13th, 2011, 03:15 AM
How about just like Vigilante, he gets X charges per game determined by host.
- If you hit a Town member nothing happens.
- If you hit a non town member that person becomes a Citizen.

Would be a great alternative to the Vigilante which currently often breaks public games with the noob random killers.

townkrier
May 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Creative! <3

Um about the cleaning into citizen... how about just a prayer message to tell them if they are good they will be rewarded with extra points?

:)

The tricky part still is either:
1) Make the person silent, because if they can talk, they will just rat out the other mafia making it an insta-gg for the mafia. But if they are silent, the mafia will know they aren't part of the mafia anymore.
2) Making the person's role to Citizen is tricky because if they are changed, then the mafia will come after them.

I still think it is a good role idea just would need suggestions on how to define it more to clear up how the power would be used without altering the game flow.

icarus
May 13th, 2011, 07:19 PM
The priest could resurrect one guy once ! That could be really funny :p