PDA

View Full Version : Role: Psychiatrist

WHITE BOY SLIM AYO
September 1st, 2013, 04:47 AM
Hey guys, so I noticed how popular these kinds of post were and saw Squidypie post some interesting role ideas. Here is a role that I thought up of a few months ago that I remember having typed on my laptop.

Before anything, I thought about this role as I was reading about how it was proper etiquette for a psychiatrist to not reveal information on their patients unless they were a threat to themselves or society.

Psychiatrist:

Description:
• You are a expert medical practitioner that specializes in treating the mentally ill.
• Town Power/Investigative

Abilities:
• Target one person at night to determine if the player has a targeting role or not.
• If the player has a targeting role, you may type –reveal # to publically reveal the players exact role and yourself.
• If the player that you reveal dies, then you will die the next night due to suicide.
• You cannot be healed by a doctor or bodyguard if you die from suicide.

Balance Notes:
• A psychiatrist will die from suicide because he/she feels that they have violated the confidentiality between patient and doctor and has caused his patient to die because of it.
• I think that the determining whether a player has a targetable role or not is a strong element in mafia that has not yet been implemented into this game (the role that can also sort of detect targetable roles is the Detective but sometimes the player can be AFK.
• I remember when the mayor was the only role that could publicly reveal that he/she was town. Nowadays, there are many roles that can do this. Crier, veteran, Marshall, etc. can pretty much reveal that they are town and have (arguably) no negative repercussions. I want a role where a player is punished for revealing and not a role where someone reveals early on and types “OKAY I’M TOWN EVERYONE PM ME ROLES”.

I have a few more roles that could be added without disrupting the current metagame. Let me know what you guys think!

UltimaNecros
September 1st, 2013, 07:39 AM
Ok there is a big red light going off.
How many role can you name that DONT target people at night off the top of your head?
I can name:
Surv
Cit
Crier
Exec
Vet
Mayor
Stump

I really think that should ve changed to killing/evil roles instead of targeting roles.

Squidypie
September 1st, 2013, 09:47 AM
Hey guys, so I noticed how popular these kinds of post were and saw Squidypie post some interesting role ideas. Here is a role that I thought up of a few months ago that I remember having typed on my laptop.!

Thanks, but fair warning: I doubt any role I've suggested is ever being seriously considered, I just post 'em here because, well, why not? So ah, good luck!

Slaol
September 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks, but fair warning: I doubt any role I've suggested is ever being seriously considered, I just post 'em here because, well, why not? So ah, good luck!

I have many roles of my own creation or adaption. The vast majority will never be considered. I continue thinking regardless. Keep it up.

On topic of OP: It is Detective that can confirm itself / it's target.

WHITE BOY SLIM AYO
September 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM

Lol, it's fun sharing opinions. Don't think that people aren't reading them.

Squidypie
September 2nd, 2013, 01:14 AM
the non-visit roles are mostly people that the town don't mind lynching. Detective/lookout find a gf cit claim easier. And it just seems really contrary to what a psych does.
So it doesn't seem Op in that regard, but public reveal makes someone a healable mayor with no extra votes

how about nix public reveal, but she can choose to know targets exact role. If she does she's silenced until next night, and her target knows who the psych is, and the ability can only be used a couple of times.

yzb25
September 2nd, 2013, 06:06 AM
This role seems so powerful, most of the games I look back at where I was a town and lost I could see myself have winning if I had a sure-fire confirmation of just one person's role, even if that did mean an extra confirmed town suicide if and when that person I wanted to know the role of dies.

Because once you know one role, all the other roles and people seem to click into place. That's why often the town will lynch one other town and then go on this lynching spree of evils and win the game. That initial chaos is all the scum really have that they can hide behind until the town see through the mist and start killing them.

This is why you'll notice most games evils win are "burst games" where loads of people die at the start. The longer the game, the less chaos, and the less chance the evil has of winning

WHITE BOY SLIM AYO
September 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
the non-visit roles are mostly people that the town don't mind lynching. Detective/lookout find a gf cit claim easier. And it just seems really contrary to what a psych does.
So it doesn't seem Op in that regard, but public reveal makes someone a healable mayor with no extra votes

how about nix public reveal, but she can choose to know targets exact role. If she does she's silenced until next night, and her target knows who the psych is, and the ability can only be used a couple of times.

Oh cool. That's a really good idea. Maybe remove their vote too since if they find a mafia, they'll be bound to spam someones name?

WHITE BOY SLIM AYO
September 2nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
This role seems so powerful, most of the games I look back at where I was a town and lost I could see myself have winning if I had a sure-fire confirmation of just one person's role, even if that did mean an extra confirmed town suicide if and when that person I wanted to know the role of dies.

Because once you know one role, all the other roles and people seem to click into place. That's why often the town will lynch one other town and then go on this lynching spree of evils and win the game. That initial chaos is all the scum really have that they can hide behind until the town see through the mist and start killing them.

This is why you'll notice most games evils win are "burst games" where loads of people die at the start. The longer the game, the less chaos, and the less chance the evil has of winning

Yeah I think it should be powerful and I agree with every single thing that you said about how games just tend to snowball. It's just that town powers lately have been full of roles that are "auto confirmed town", and I just thought that there should be a role that doesn't do this. I mean with the exception of jailor (arguably), all the other roles pretty much are confirmed town without any consequence.