PDA

View Full Version : Night 3

Forum Mafia GM
August 31st, 2013, 06:23 PM
Fondle away, puny mortals.

FM Fenthick
August 31st, 2013, 06:56 PM
Hello. I'd like to get to know you.
Let's start slowly. I am at the Mage Tower.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hello there. Indeed, let's get to know eachothers.
I'm at the Library.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 04:09 AM
Oh, sweet. Would you mind sharing the Library riddle? The Mage Tower riddle is already out there (word scrambling).

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 04:19 AM
I think we basically have two approaches available.
1) Keep our identities hidden and share otherwise hidden information if available and reasonable.
2) Reveal our identities and decide from there if we want to trust each other.
Number 2 sounds more promising to me. But if you have a better suggestion go ahead and tell me.

We should also make use of this opportunity to create means of communication beyond this chat. It might come in handy and there are no downsides to it.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 04:51 AM
We also have word scrambling.

This is the first sentence :
HLNV HVXIVGGH ZIV YVHG PVKG HZUV UILN KIBRMT VBVH.

As for my identity, I can easily share it.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 04:56 AM
It does look like a cipher to me and note like word scrambling. Too many vowels are missing. I'll look into it.

Let's share identity then: I'm Keldorn.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 04:58 AM
I'm Quale the Bus Driver.

HLNV HVXIVGH ZIV YVHG PVKG HZUV UILN KIBRMT VBVH. KZIGRXFOZIOB GSLHV LU Z KVIHLMZO MZGFIV LI GSLHV GSZG NZB HSZKV GSV UZGV LU GSV DLIOW ULI TLLW LI ULI ROO. ZH HFXS, GSV KFYORX ORYIZIB NZB MLG YV GSV IRTSG KOZXV GL VCKIVHH KIREZGV GSLFTSGH ZMW KOZMH LU XLMHVJFVMXV.

HVEVIZO DVVPH ZTL, R IVMGVW Z ILLN ZG GSV KVZIOH ZMW WZTTVIH RMM.

EYJ OP JVY OJVYL VCPZ, UJ UK CRKO IPKCXY JO KUQNRE CKKIQY JVCJ OPY UK UQNYLHUOIK JO ZCPWYL. TIKJ CK ZYCJV UK POJ JVY YPZ OX OPY’K YFUKJYPAY, OPY’K NILNOKY UP RUXY ACP JLCPKAYPZ ZYCJV CK GYRR. UX OPY ACLYK CBOIJ KIAV JVUPWK, OPY GOIRZ BY XOORUKV POJ JO JCSY NLYACIJUOPK. U VCHY OPY KIAV NILNOKY. CPZ JVYLYXOLY, U VCHY ZYAUZYZ JO KYJ C JLCUR JVCJ RYCZK JO QE KYALYJ. XOL OJVYLK JO XUPZ KVOIRZ U AOQY JO QYYJ CP IPJUQYRE YPZ CJ JVY VCPZ OX QE YPYQUYK UP JVY NLUQY QCJYLUCR NRCPY.

JVY LOOQ PIQBYL UK JVLYY, OPY XROOL BYROG WLOIPZ RYHYR.

TJIU QAO I JBZY TJAT QJAT I GCBQ QIFF CBT EY FBUT TB TJIU QBWFV QITJ DO ZAUUICK. ACAWNJIUTU UYYGICK BCFO TB VYUTWBO QBSFV CBT EY LBNSUYV BW VYTYWDICYV YCBSKJ TB SCNBRYW TJY TWAIF, QJYWYAU FBKINAF TJICGYWU QITJ A UBSCV DICV AWY DBWY FIGYFO TB USNNYYV.

ICUIVY, TJYWY UJBSFV EY A UIDZFY UNWIEY’U VYUG, TJY VWAQYWU BL QJINJ QIFF JARY A UYNWYT NBDZAWTDYCT IC TJY EANG. BCY BL TJYD NBCTAICU TJY VIAWO I JARY GYZT. TJYWYIC FIYU TJY GCBQFYVKY I UYYG TB ZWYUYWRY.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 05:08 AM
Would you mind if I make sure that you are who you claim to be? I basically believe you, but I'm rather safe than sorry.
We were both in the same puzzle chats so far.
Can you tell me what the third word in the last post before Cespenar posted the end of night RP on night 2 was?
Can you do the same for the second to last post on night 1 (third word again)?

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 05:16 AM
Are you talking about the puzzle chats?
I can't access the previous ones.

If you witnessed my Malice, I was fishing for reactions actually and WIFOM thief to avoid getting killed while bussing two different targets. M A L with yellow.

I also added a spoiler with the spoiler named Doo-De-Di-Doo.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 05:23 AM
Fair enough.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 05:23 AM
I think we are looking at a simple letter replacement cipher. Shouldn't take too long to crack it.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 06:12 AM
I take back what I said. It is not a simple letter substitution. This may take a while.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 06:29 AM
I think every two paragraphs have their own substitution cipher. At least the single letters and two letter words point to it.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 06:33 AM
Posts from FM Ajantis (Relevant parts):
#1 Yawn at puzzle.

#2 ATBASH <quotes the first part of puzzle>

SOME SECRETS ARE BEST KEPT SAFE FROM PRYING EYES. PARTICULARLY THOSE OF A PERSONAL NATURE OR THOSE THAT MAY SHAPE THE FATE OF THE WORLD FOR GOOD OR FOR ILL. AS SUCH, THE PUBLIC LIBRARY MAY NOT BE THE RIGHT PLACE TO EXPRESS PRIVATE THOUGHTS AND PLANS OF CONSEQUENCE.

SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, I RENTED A ROOM AT THE PEARLS AND DAGGERS INN.

#3 and later, he moans about wanting to be culted by the cult in the chat.

#7 I solved everything in the three-part cipher. I refuse to share the answer. Send me or the puzzle will remain unsolved.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 06:37 AM
I think it's strange, one who say to have the answer, wants to be culted and refuse to share the answer.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 06:58 AM
Well, you won't need him:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA

SOME SECRETS ARE BEST KEPT SAFE FROM PRYING EYES. PARTICULARLY THOSE OF A PERSONAL NATURE OR THOSE THAT MAY SHAPE THE FATE OF THE WORLD FOR GOOD OR FOR ILL. AS SUCH, THE PUBLIC LIBRARY MAY NOT BE THE RIGHT PLACE TO EXPRESS PRIVATE THOUGHTS AND PLANS OF CONSEQUENCE.

SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, I RENTED A ROOM AT THE PEARLS AND DAGGERS INN.

CBAZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFED

YET ON THE OTHER HAND, IT IS ALSO UNSAFE TO SIMPLY ASSUME THAT ONE IS IMPERVIOUS TO DANGER. JUST AS DEATH IS NOT THE END OF ONE’S EXISTENCE, ONE’S PURPOSE IN LIFE CAN TRANSCEND DEATH AS WELL. IF ONE CARES ABOUT SUCH THINGS, ONE WOULD BE FOOLISH NOT TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS. I HAVE ONE SUCH PURPOSE. AND THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED TO SET A TRAIL THAT LEADS TO MY SECRET. FOR OTHERS TO FIND SHOULD I COME TO MEET AN UNTIMELY END AT THE HAND OF MY ENEMIES IN THE PRIME MATERIAL PLANE.

THE ROOM NUMBER IS THREE, ONE FLOOR BELOW GROUND LEVEL.

AONMBLKJIHGFQCYZWVUTSDRXEP

THIS WAY I HOPE THAT WHAT I KNOW WILL NOT BE LOST TO THIS WORLD WITH MY PASSING. ANARCHISTS SEEKING ONLY TO DESTROY WOULD NOT BE FOCUSED OR DETERMINED ENOUGH TO UNCOVER THE TRAIL, WHEREAS LOGICAL THINKERS WITH A SOUND MIND ARE MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED.

INSIDE, THERE SHOULD BE A SIMPLE SCRIBE’S DESK, THE DRAWERS OF WHICH WILL HAVE A SECRET COMPARTMENT IN THE BACK. ONE OF THEM CONTAINS THE DIARY I HAVE KEPT. THEREIN LIES THE KNOWLEDGE I SEEK TO PRESERVE.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 07:00 AM
The moment you realize that every paragraph has it's own substitution, it becomes pretty easy.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 07:16 AM
I'd like you to know that I modified my clue a bit. That way I can uncover fake Diviner claiming that checked me, if they confirm my result. Also a Thief being faster in gathering all the clues would have to use a night action on me before having all correct clues. I plan to reveal the modification when enough clues are gathered to submit the solution. I also have it in my last will in case of an early demise.

My actual clue:

Our Lord shall return.
It has been written.
The wicked shall burn.
The righteous are smitten.
Ammon the wicked.
Betrayer of Bhaal.
Tis time he was silenced.
Fore he ruins us all.
-Grobnar the Great

Raise your warhammer and crush the Skull of a Man. This is done in the ritual of Death. When performing this ritual, never speak the following words.
“From serf or foe, for justice or vengeance, tis all the same. When the threads of mortality are shattered and carnage bestowed from one mortal upon another, honour is brought to our Lord.”
-Khelgar

As you see I only modified one word into another similar in meaning. I figured that this wouldn't be a problem when solving the main puzzle because the meaning remains the same. Just that the submissions would be incorrect until the correct word is used.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 07:18 AM
That's genius.

Personally, do you think there will be a Disguiser into play?

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 07:25 AM
I find it to be unlikely based on how the role was when the setup was first published. But changes were made to it since and we have a bigger number of players.
So if I were to ignore my first point, then it wouldn't be all that unlikely. He would be obviously saving up all his charges until the sanctum is opened.
If I were to take a guess as the Bhaalspawns in the game, I'd say we have 3 out of Doppelganger, Evoker, Necromancer, Shadow Adept.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 07:30 AM
Alright. Since I'm the Bus Driver, should I switch us with another or should I switch two individual targets?

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 08:02 AM
We can assume that the Prophet considers the possibility that you are in the Heartwarder chat again. I'm also quite likely to be targeted. I think driving ourself is the better and safe play.

I'll leave it up to you if you want to discuss your second target.

We should definitely make some codes or decisions when it comes to claiming feedback unless we want to reveal that we were united.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 08:07 AM
I was thinking of switching myself with Kivan or Khalid, what is your opinion of that?

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Since you guys are basically working together it should be beneficial to reveal him: Kivan is the Heartwarder.
He claimed it in our puzzle chat.

He'll keep uniting you every night so that there are always two targets besides you swapped and that should keep you safe from being culted. I think that is something you can even say in the day chat to keep the cult away from you, because culting you basically results in an auto-lynch.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 08:18 AM
I'm really hungry right now. I'll be back in 45 minutes or so.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM
I'm currently devising a plan to create an information network for the Adventurers. This may take a while but I think it will be worth the effort.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
I'm currently devising a plan to create an information network for the Adventurers. This may take a while but I think it will be worth the effort.

How would this work out?

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Pretty much what was suggested by Valygar on day 2.
Kivan unites you with a different target every night and you collect role claims and create a code together to communicate during the day (i.e. night feedback, lynch targets for the day,...).
The thing that we have to prevent is that you get culted without us being aware of it. For this we could establish a protocol that should make it virtually impossible for you to get culted without us knowing on the next day after the next night (first day after you couldn't use your ability because you became an Arcane Trickster). This make you a bad target to convert because the Cult automatically loses a member if they do so. In addition to that you can protect yourself through swapping.

Honestly, you will have lots of responsibility but you would also have the most impact on this game.

Kivan is also somebody that loses his ability. As such he is a bad culting target and we can introduce the same kind of protocol that makes it nearly impossible to fake that he still has his ability.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 10:42 AM
The protocol I envision would be something along what we prepared for Mazzy on night 2.
You would always announce your target that isn't in the Heartwarder chat when swapping in some kind of code. Only after that is one allowed to claim swapped. Obviously the claim would have to match up with your decoded target.
If you get converted you would have to create two swapped feedbacks. But the Arcane Trickster can only generate one. So unless you are united with another Cultist you have no way to create the second feedback.

FM Aribeth
September 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'll accept this responsibility. Just hope that the cult don't make a gambit out of culting Kivan.

We wouldn't know until the next day.
With him culted, the trust on me is going to be schizophrenic : Too much information.

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
You would know that Kivan is converted the moment you aren't in the Heartwarder chat. That means at the beginning of the night. Which allows you to pass the message before anybody can take any action.
The only way to get to Kivan remotely inconspicuous is through you. And even then it's quite hard. I'll talk to my puzzle chat and try to finalize what we should best do (besides Kivan nobody knows for sure that I am in here).

FM Fenthick
September 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM
I'm currently waiting for feedback. So I have time to get to another topic - other players:
I think it's pretty obvious that Imoen is the actual Diviner. She checked Viconia last night and got the same clues as her. When Mazzy revealed other clues she went gung-ho on her. I tried to get her to target me during the day, but as I will be swapped she won't be able to target me. Luckily she is in my puzzle chat and I can try to give her hints to not check me.
Aerie seems to be some kind of investigative role; or Explorer trying to look like one. If the latter is the case she is doing a good job.
I do believe that Korgan is the actual Duke but backpedaled because you exposed him. I think he will get converted sooner or later. The Cult needs a voting majority to win. The Duke helps a lot in that regard.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
I proposed the following (I didn't get much feedback for it, but Kivan approves):

Somebody, probably Kivan if he plans to reveal anyway, informs the rest of the Adventurers tomorrow that a communication network is being set up.
This consists of Kivan always uniting Quayle with another target that he deems valuable for this purpose. Quayle would then collect the role claim and set up a code to communicate with the other player. Quayle will always finish off the night by swapping himself with somebody nobody else is aware of (especially not the one united with him).
Safety protocol: The following day Kivan and Quayle will post a code with their target. In Kivan's case it's the one united with Quayle, in Quayle's case the one he swapped himself with. Kivan and Quayle may never reveal their target on their own or even hint at it, but they can ask it to reveal itself - in which case it should comply. Only if their target fails to respond to/ignores the request for a prolonged period of time may they reveal it. Incurring consequences are to be expected.
The Adventurers may ask for proof on the swap. In which case Quayle's target has to reveal and Quayle has to decode his target. If they match all is well.
If they don't Kivan's target has to reveal as well and be compared to Kivan's decoded target. That way it is made sure that Kivan wasn't culted as well.
It is possible that Quayle manages to his the fact that he was converted for one night. This is only the case if he was united with a fellow Cultist after his conversion. But this will become apparent the day after and both Cultists will be revealed.
The security above relies on the cult having no night chat. Kivan and Quayle have to encode targets that don't know that they are supposed to have been swapped/united. That way it will be easily apparent if the target is fabricated.

Quayle shall immediately point out if he isn't united with somebody. This is to be treated as a confirmed culting of Kivan or a lie on Quayle's part (resulting from a culting).
The one united with Quayle shall immediately point out if he wasn't swapped. This is to be treated as a confirmed culting of Quayle or a lie on the part of the one united with him (confirmed non-Adventurer).

Quayle can protect himself on his own and we will know if the information gets compromised. As such Quayle should be trusted and entrusted with your actual roles. Discrepancies will come back at you. Feel free to discuss your upcoming strategies with him or devise custom codes that suit your purpose.
So the things that fall into your responsibility are:
-Immediately notifying the others if you aren't in the Heartwarder chat.
-Collecting role claims and night actions/results.
-Setting up codes (this is the most time consuming one; you should get your chat partner to help you as much as possible)
-Swapping yourself with somebody unknown to everybody else (this is for your own security and the security of your information you will be collecting)
-Writing down your target in a code at the start of the day (you should be the only one to know how to decode it and our security relies heavily on this)

About codes:
-Make a different code with each new chat partner. Newer partners should not know how the codes for your older ones work.
-Try to make sure that they don't get compromised at all.
-Be careful about what you communicate via code in day chat or in night chat.
-You can set up an extra code to communicate with all of your partners at once. You would obviously share that one will of your chat partners.

In general:
You will be the communicational center of the Adventurers. As such you will have to step up your game. The FAQ and the Setup (especially the Order of Operations) are your friends. Use them to unveil conflicting claims or impossible actions. And if you do, don't just reveal them to everybody but evaluate if it really is the right time to come out with it. They might be scum baits or maybe you want to watch the suspicious target for a while longer and wait for further slips that incriminate them.
Do not store all the information you gathered in your last will. The Cultists might have a Shadow Thief and we rely on knowing when the information gets compromised which is not the case if your last will gets read.

Example for an encoded message:
"powowmuxztvrxeogvsxyvrtkaknikkixfbjcyzhcuunhgdm"

I used vigenere cipher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigenere_cipher#Description) for this.
The passphrase is used is: "thisisjustanexampleforaratherdifficultcode"
The message is encoded is: "whowouldhavethoughtthattargethasathingforquayle"

It is important that no redundant information is left and it's clear from the message who you targeted. There are a lot of methods for message encoding out there. Find them and ask if you can use them. As long as one does not know how a message is encoded it's quite hard to crack it.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 12:12 AM
I'll be busy the following hours. I should be able to come back before the night ends to set up some codes with you.
As an exercise try to think of situations you would like to have codes for and create some. Surprise me!
When I'm back I'll help you with the remainder and point out things that could be made better.

FM Aribeth
September 2nd, 2013, 06:12 AM
Y fiip xe xrggi qhd G lq q Vuq Ovypep.
= Quayle
>= I like to drive and I am a Bus Driver.

I'll use this password for all contacts :
- Greenwindowedlunatic.

You will have this :
- Overlordofwaffles

I might use daychat to give messages, like asking for feedback clues from an investigative role I've found. "I want to hear your feedback. If it's someone scummy, add three dots at the end of a sentence and if it's someone towny add a comma to finish the sentence instead."

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
I'm back now. I'll be writing up some codes. You will have to put more effort into all this, if we want this to succeed. But don't worry, I'll try to brief you as much as possible on what you should be looking out for.
It would be nice to know if you are here. Then I'll try to speed up my writing. And you can ask questions.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Let me comment on your codes first.
You should avoid whitespace and capitalization. Those make it significantly easier to break a code. Just omit those.
Use long passphrases. The best would be if there is no repetition at all. The more often the passphrase repeats itself in the encoding the easier it is to break it. In your example your message is almost 5 times as long as your passphrase. That means the passphrase "quaylequaylequaylequaylequay" was used. Make the passphrase longer and try not to use words associated with this game it. Your second and third passphrase are much better but we will improve them regardless.
A simple way would be to insert words of different length between them to break the periodicity:
passphraseonepassphrasetwopassphrasethreepassphras efourpassphrasefive...
That way we can generate a passphrase of infinite length making even long messages difficult to break. It's even better if it is completely without repetition of the "passphrase". You could use the RP in the day opening post as a passphrase.
thenextdaytheexpeditionreconvenedatthecentralplaza infrontofthetempleafewmenandwomenlooked... (RP of the day 3 post)
The posts in the day can be used for the same purpose. Be creative and think of distinct ways to generate them. You don't want your chat partners in further nights be able to guess how you communicate with the ones in former nights based on how you communicate with them. The best way would be to use some other way of encoding than vigenere.
The next issue with this is repeated use of the same passphrase. If the same passphrase is used over and over again, it becomes easy to break. It's better if each passphrase is only used once. A way to do this is using the RP mentioned above and making the passphrase exactly as long as the message. The passphrase for your next message will start where the former ended. Or another way to put it: Use the same ("endless") passphrase but paste all the messages you posted together to encode them. Of course you would only post the newest part in your message. Imagine as an example that you already posted two messages that way. To encode the third you would encode the following message (below the encoded message):
message1 message2 message3
neropsnp wkrzpsgn tiwnorte
where messageN are just placeholders for your respective messages. You would then proceed to only post the encoded version of your third message ("tiwnorte").
Don't make the message to short. Vigenere is just a letter shift. If you just encode a name it's super easy to break because there only a few one has to try out. You can "prepare" your message to make it harder to crack. An example would be to overlap words: kaewledsoormne. Or you could scramble them completely.

We have covered "secure" coding. With this you can communicate anything you want. The issue here is that it is obvious that you are using code and if the recipient has to answer the same way it is obvious who you are communicating with. It's pretty much no problem for you to use code because everybody will know that you use it to communicate with your chat partners and that is okay. But you want your partners to pass you information without others noticing (for their own protection). For this codes have to be tailored to the purpose of the communication.
You want everybody that was in the chat with you to pass you their feedback. No exceptions! That means you will need a code for each chat partner to pass you their feedback.
I will now show you the code we will be using. You can use it as inspiration but try to make the ones for further partners as distinct as possible.

Codes for Feedback
To communicate my feedback I will be using posts in which I don't capitalize "I" (as in me). So if you see a post in which I say "Interesting... i think we are onto something. Maybe we should ask him further questions." then that means that I hid one of my feedback messages in the post. To find out which feedback I received look a the first letter of the first and the tenth word. In this case it would be "i" (of "Interesting") and "s" (of "should"). Convert them into number using the following key.

Letter
a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o
p
q
r
s
t
u
v
w
x
y
z

Number

Add them together. If the result it greater than 17, subtract 17 until it is lower than 18. Compare the result to the following table.

Number
Feeback

Captured by a Warden

United by a Heartwarder

Interviewed by a Herald

Approached by a Bounty Hunter

Swapped by an Illusionist

Manipulated by the Prophet or Lured by an Enchanter

Roleblocked by a Bard, Paragon Smite or Enchanter Repel

Attacked a target who survived, regardless of the reason for their survival

Resisted conversion/manipulation/roleblocking

Given a vest from an Armoursmith

Given a Alchemist’s Fire from a Harper Alchemist

Successful Curse Removal

Saved from a kill by a Harper Guardian

Necromancer Curse / Shadow Adept Attunement Message

Survived an attack because of Night Immunity/Vest

Attacked and Healed

Chosen by an Apprentice

According to my example I would have sent you the information that I resisted a conversion/manipulation/roleblocking.
If I noticed that I made an error with a feedback message, I will post "fml" (fuck my life) in my post. This means that all feedback given so far is to be counted as invalid and I will give you the correct feedback after that.
This feedback is tailored to any role not receiving any special feedback for their role. If you have a talk with a Spy, you will want to include investigation pairings in the feedback list.

Night action targets
I will now reveal to you that I am the Bard. I roleblocked you on night 1 for the reasons I mentioned in our puzzle chat. I roleblocked Tiax on night 2 because I suspect him to be the Prophet. He is a blender and tries to fly under the radar. I will block Yeslick tonight.
I will inform you about my roleblock target when each day starts. Just compare my first word of my first post with the following list.

Keyword
Target

Unless
FM Aerie

Maybe
FM Ajantis

Probably
FM Alora

That
FM Anomen

I
FM Branwen

What
FM Cernd

Now
FM Coran

Why
FM Dynaheir

Since
FM Faldorn

It
FM Garrick

When
FM Haer-Dalis

Where
FM Imoen

We
FM Jaheira

Are
FM Jan

This
FM Kagain

Hmm
FM Khalid

So
FM Kivan

Then
FM Korgan

If
FM Mazzy

Oh
FM Minsc

Just
FM Montaron

Do
FM Nalia

Would
FM Quayle

Hello
FM Safana

Surely
FM Sarevok

Should
FM Shar-Teel

Can
FM Tiax

A
FM Valygar

Does
FM Xan

And
FM Xzar

Well
FM Yeslick

The
FM Yoshimo

To not arouse suspicion when blocking the same target for multiple nights I will shift the targets down by one after each night. If I use "That" on day 4 it means Anomen, on day 5 it means Alora, on day 6 it means Ajantis, and so on.

Explicit communication
Please use the opening post of the previous day as vignere passphrase when talking to me (ignore any symbol that isn't a standard letter). I will do the same to talk to you if it is absolutely needed. To reiterate: Day 3 rp for Day 4 messages. Day 4 rp for Day 5 messages.
You can use this to share information or to announce lynch targets. It also opens the possibility for traps by fake claiming:
Let's say that someone who claimed Spy to you gave you his investigations results and you suspect one of his targets to be an Assassin. You can then appoint someone to fake claim an investigative role and bait your suspect into making a slip.
All the codes described can be used by you to communicate with me in the same way (announce target can be used flexibly). But try to only use it when it's important.
I'll finish off this part with an explicit example for the usage.
Let's say you want to pass 3 messages to me (all in different posts). The messages are
1. "Hello Keldorn, please claim Spy."
2. "Say that you targeted Mazzy."
3. "Your result was armed to the teeth."
The first passphrase would be "thenextdaytheexpeditionrec", for the second "onvenedatthecentralplaz" and for the third "ainfrontofthetempleafewmenan". The passphrases are always exactly as long as the messages and are subsequent parts of the day opening post.
Your encoded messages should look like this:
1. "alpyshxodmkutpbpwhkeiwzjta"
2. "gntxuewyhnaetkrmvdxpkzx"
3. "ywhwisfnzyphwtvytoxoylafirtu"

Claiming feedback in the day chat
I think your partners should be claiming all their feedback while you claim none at all. That way you won't be giving away your chat partner by claiming the same feedback and nobody knows if they really targeted you as you will be switching yourself every night anyway.

Communication with all that were in this chat with you
I think it's fine if we use your suggested "Greenwindowedlunatic" for this.

Confidentiality of information
Do not share the information you have with your night chat partners unless you deem it worthwhile. Get them to give you all their information first then you can evaluate if you want to trust them with some of yours. All in all I advise you to be tight lipped.
Under no circumstances should you reveal the target you plan to switch yourself with to them!

Also you aren't alone in this chat. Get your chat partners to generate codes with you. Tell them want you want to have covered (Feedback/Day communication/...) so you don't have to do everything by yourself.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Make sure to save our chat conversation somewhere so that you don't lose the codes.

Also Anomen apparently plans to kill Mazzy tonight. Might have a gun or be a Bhaalspawn.

An addendum to claiming feedback in the day chat: Your chat partner would obviously not claim swapped. You want your chat partners to be hidden if possible to be able to use their information more freely. If you reveal Spy results it becomes obvious that there was a Spy in your chat. And if your chat partners are known it puts the Spy in a bad spot.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
I cannot stress this enough. Make sure that the code you use for your switching target is hard to crack.
For this it is absolutely needed that the encoded message consists of more than just your targets name when using vigenere. Go all out and combine things like overlapping or scrambling in the message as well as the passphrase.
Make sure you post your encoded target asap.

FM Ferengi
September 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
That way we can generate a passphrase of infinite length making even long messages difficult to break. It's even better if it is completely without repetition of the "passphrase". You could use the RP in the day opening post as a passphrase.
thenextdaytheexpeditionreconvenedatthecentralplaza infrontofthetempleafewmenandwomenlooked... (RP of the day 3 post)
The posts in the day can be used for the same purpose. Be creative and think of distinct ways to generate them. You don't want your chat partners in further nights be able to guess how you communicate with the ones in former nights based on how you communicate with them. The best way would be to use some other way of encoding than vigenere.
The next issue with this is repeated use of the same passphrase. If the same passphrase is used over and over again, it becomes easy to break. It's better if each passphrase is only used once. A way to do this is using the RP mentioned above and making the passphrase exactly as long as the message. The passphrase for your next message will start where the former ended. Or another way to put it: Use the same ("endless") passphrase but paste all the messages you posted together to encode them. Of course you would only post the newest part in your message. Imagine as an example that you already posted two messages that way. To encode the third you would encode the following message (below the encoded message):
message1 message2 message3
neropsnp wkrzpsgn tiwnorte
where messageN are just placeholders for your respective messages. You would then proceed to only post the encoded version of your third message ("tiwnorte").
Don't make the message to short. Vigenere is just a letter shift. If you just encode a name it's super easy to break because there only a few one has to try out. You can "prepare" your message to make it harder to crack. An example would be to overlap words: kaewledsoormne. Or you could scramble them completely.

We have covered "secure" coding. With this you can communicate anything you want. The issue here is that it is obvious that you are using code and if the recipient has to answer the same way it is obvious who you are communicating with. It's pretty much no problem for you to use code because everybody will know that you use it to communicate with your chat partners and that is okay. But you want your partners to pass you information without others noticing (for their own protection). For this codes have to be tailored to the purpose of the communication.
You want everybody that was in the chat with you to pass you their feedback. No exceptions! That means you will need a code for each chat partner to pass you their feedback.
I will now show you the code we will be using. You can use it as inspiration but try to make the ones for further partners as distinct as possible.
This is not OK. As a general rule, codes need to be breakable to be allowed (though it might take a lot of effort to do so).

Codes for Feedback
Night action targets
Allowed.

Communication with all that were in this chat with you
I think it's fine if we use your suggested "Greenwindowedlunatic" for this.

This is OK.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=Cespenar;371057]This is not OK. As a general rule, codes need to be breakable to be allowed (though it might take a lot of effort to do so).
What exactly is the issue here? That no passphrase is used twice, that the passphrase is just as long as the message body or is it the scrambling/overlapping of the message body?
If we were to use a predetermined "endless" string of random letters then it would be basically unbreakable. The fact that the passphrase consists of words makes an attack significantly easier and definitely breakable. Also the fact that it uses the opening rp makes the whole code break down as a whole as soon as one message is cracked.

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Word is that "endless" passphrases are not okay. Same is true for word overlapping/scrambling in the message body.

So let's go with "overlordofwaffles" but keep the offset for messages beyond the first. For this I modified the example to illustrate.
Let's say you want to pass 3 messages to me (all in different posts). The messages are
1. "Hello Keldorn, please claim Spy."
2. "Say that you targeted Mazzy."
3. "Your result was armed to the teeth."
The first passphrase would be "overlordofwafflesoverlordo" (which is the same as "overlordofwaffles"), for the second "fwafflesoverlordofwaffl" (which is the same as "fwafflesoverlordo") and for the third "esoverlordofwafflesoverlordo" (which is the same as "esoverlordofwaffl"). It's basically as if you were to encode all of them at once.
Your encoded messages should look like this:
1. "vzpczyvortnnuqpeksxprtajsm"
2. "xwyymlxqcpxrcuvwsiiaeej"
3. "cgimvvdicwkfoawrphlcolvesvwv"

FM Fenthick
September 2nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Be creative when it comes to your target encoding!