PDA

View Full Version : The Mage Tower: night 2

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzwDlPvlPpg&list=PL945B1759FCAC5517

An odd, tower-like structure stands before you. Surrounded by a hedge of bramble bushes that are mysteriously able to grow here. The building has no windows or doors, no stairs, nor any other ways that provide entrance. It is very doubtful that this construction is a solid mass of stone, however. In fact, one layer of the masonwork lies deeper than others, and the stones below it seem to be loose. While they cannot be removed, they can be pushed upwards, and from there on out they can be moved left and right. So they can be repositioned in a different order. You are convinced that there must be a way to get inside. But how?

On the eastern side of the building there is a small outcropping that holds a torch. You do not know how long it has been since anyone was here, but the torch looks to be brand new. One of you takes the torch in his hand and walks around the building with it. In this different light, he notices that the moveable stones bear an inscription with magical runes that could not be seen before.

“when” “your shadow” “flows” “in” “they” “swear” “their liquid” “of” “bhaal’s name” “fear” “we who” “to strike” “before” “the deed” “revel” “the heart” “in” “their end” “so” “was done” “our mark” “shall know” “from” “in” “their husk” “life” “comes”

It seems reasonable to assume that these words are supposed to form a phrase of some kind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder:
Each group must vote for a “volunteer” to test their solution. Note that someone can be forced to take this position against their will. Whoever gets the most votes will be charged with the task. In case of a tie, the volunteer will be randomised to break the tie.

Voting for a volunteer uses the same formatting as voting to lynch someone, with [ vote ] [ /vote ] tags around their name. A majority doesn’t lock the vote. The tally at the end of the night is used.

Solutions can be proposed by anyone, whether they’re chosen as volunteer or not. A solution is proposed in the puzzle chat using the following format:

-propose solution

insert solution here

Unfortunately for the explorers, all of these locations are heavily trapped. If a wrong answer is given by the volunteer, he has a 66% chance of being struck by a trap and die. Having no proposed solution counts as a wrong answer.

If he is correct though, he will be awarded with a clue in his night feedback PM and the puzzle location will be closed.

Mysterious Strangers:
You may notice there are some people inside the puzzle chat who do not appear on the player list. These are the reserves. They are free to discuss the game with you here and provide ideas for puzzle solutions.

Although they may help, the Mysterious Strangers are not eligible for the "volunteer" position, so you cannot vote them up for it.

Do you find one of the Mysterious Strangers you've encountered in this puzzle location or elsewhere particularly helpful? Show your appreciation by vouching for them!

Do so by sending a PM to Bhaal and/or Cespenar in the following format:

-vouch for [Mysterious Stranger]

You can vouch for one Mysterious Stranger each night. That player does not have to be in your current puzzle chat. A (hidden) cumulative tally will be kept for all votes cast for all nights. The reserve player with the highest number of votes gets first dibs on the next occasion a replacement is needed. If he declines, the second in line gets to take the slot, and so on. If there are multiple openings, the Stranger with the most votes gets to choose his preferred vacant slot to fill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player List:
FM Jaheira
FM Aerie
FM Safana
FM Anomen
FM Eldoth
FM Xzar
FM Faldorn
FM Montaron
FM Kivan
FM Minsc
FM Kagain
FM Garrick

FM Ammon
August 25th, 2013, 10:39 PM
"We" - The cult of Bhaal
"You" - Bhaal
"They" - The Bhaalspawn

Clearly some reference to the ritual restoring Bhaal to power. I have a few links put together from syntax alone. Will work on it for another half-hour maybe.

FM Ammon
August 25th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Is every stone a part of the phrase?

FM Ammon
August 26th, 2013, 12:16 AM
*sigh* here's the best I could do as far as a full answer. It's not quite there but it's something. I will post my shorter syntactic links tomorrow

Our mark comes in the heart of their end, so they revel in fear before your shadow.
When their liquid life flows from their husk, we who swear to strike in Bhaal's name shall know the deed was done.

Traditionally, the main ritual the cult of Bhaal uses for his resurrection involves sacrifice of the Bhaalspawn. The Bhaalspawn are bound to Bhaal through their blood, and only through this ritual sacrifice can Bhaal be made whole again.

FM Bevil
August 26th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Hello FM Ammon.

Interesting puzzle. I will try to work on it later today.

FM Ammon
August 26th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Line breaks mean separate chains:

FROM SYNTAX

[we who / they] + [swear / fear / revel / shall know]
[swear / fear / shall know] + [to strike]

FROM PHRASING

[the deed] + [was done]
[their liquid] (+ [life / fear]) + [flows] -OR- [flows] + [in / from] + [their liquid]
[the heart] + [of]
[in] + [fear] (+ [of]) -OR- [to strike] + [fear] + [in]

FROM CONTEXT

[we who] + [swear / revel] + ... +
[shall know] + [the deed] + [was done]

[B]OTHER NOTES

-The pronoun "we" is always a subject of the sentence. This means [we who] is associated with two plural verbs - one in the qualifier (we who ____) and one as the predicate (we who _____ [do something]). The possible verbs here are [fear / revel / swear]. [shall know] is also possible but not restricted to a plural subject.
-[fear] is likely a noun rather than a verb: "we" and "they" are the only possible subjects to match the present-tense plural verbs, and phrasing-wise I feel like [shall know] pairs with one of these two. From the above point, there are room for exactly three of these verbs, so it's either "they/we (who) fear" or "they/we (who) shall know), but not both.
-[Our Mark] may refer to either a specific symbol of the cult or used in the sacrificial ritual, or it may refer to the cult itself.
-[their end] and [their husk] probably refer to elements of the sacrifice.
-[the deed] refers to the sacrifice itself.

Hallo FM Bevil!

FM Ammon
August 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM
About the main puzzle: the domains of Bhaal are Death, Destruction, Evil, and Retribution - there is a Ritual of Death that the clues haven't mentioned. I think Keldorn is spot-on about the logic puzzle. Casavir's clues contradict each other about the amulet used in the Ritual of Destruction, so Safana or Viconia - possibly both - should be lynched to confirm the clues haven't been tampered with. At least we have an idea of the categories.

Ritual: Death, Destruction, Evil, Retribution
Amulet: Obsidian, Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald
Candles: Crimson, Light Yellow, ???, ???
Tool: Obsidian Dagger, Obsidian Mace, ???, ???
Incantation: Only one given.

I disagree with Keldorn that the candles and weapons are the same category, since I believe there to be a number of puzzles yet unsolved.

Anyway these clues are easily tampered with, so confirming the identity of players who give them is of utmost importance.

FM Ammon
August 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Who are the other reserves in this thread? Introduce yourselves!

FM Ammon
August 26th, 2013, 10:43 PM
So lonely...

Cespenar what's your favorite color?

FM Ammon
August 26th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Branwen is on point. Dunno why people thought she was scummy, those posts about lynching Viconia are about the towniest thing I've read all game

FM Grobnar
August 27th, 2013, 12:58 AM
It seems that you are the smartest person on this reserve list. Juest because the rest of us suck in puzzles. Just look at it, everyone else managed to solve their puzzles, while all we did is to lead Skie to her death.

I kinda of liked Skie, you know? Why of all people she had to die? Sigh... Well, I hope we can offer then better help next night.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Oh hallo Grobnar! To be fair, all of my answers to the riddle were probably wrong as well. I think we just had a harder riddle.

FM Ferengi
August 27th, 2013, 06:34 AM
So lonely...

Cespenar what's your favorite color?
Royal blue!

You'll have to figure that one out yourself...

FM Aerie
August 27th, 2013, 05:38 PM
yo!

FM Xzar
August 27th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Heyooooooo, I like this progress so far. Really nice.

FM Xzar
August 27th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Hmm I don't think there is much to say about the solution. Ammon has solved it quite nicely and I can't seem to find anything to improve. Now the question is: Who shall be forced to "volunteer"?

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Wow, looks like someone will be vouched today!^^

I feel sorry for guys stuck in Satyr's gate. Oh well, let's get crackin'!

FM Anomen
August 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Looks good to me.

FM Aerie
August 27th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I think we should send safana again, he seems trustworthy enough. The diviner would also be able to find 2 clues on him if Safana gets checked. If the diviner reveals that he checked safana tonight and only reveals 1 clue then we will know that the diviner is lying.

FM Aerie
August 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Fm Safana

FM Xzar
August 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I think we should send safana again, he seems trustworthy enough. The diviner would also be able to find 2 clues on him if Safana gets checked. If the diviner reveals that he checked safana tonight and only reveals 1 clue then we will know that the diviner is lying.

Good point. Guess we can start voting Sufari.

FM Safana

FM Safana
August 27th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Hello boys

FM Safana
August 27th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Good point. Guess we can start voting Sufari.

FM Safana

Again? Eh why not

FM Safana
August 27th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I was only willing to volunteer last clue because i was so sure that Secret was the right answer.
I didn't want to be rushed to volunteer now because I didnt want to die. I was considered towny during the night time, but scummy during the day. People in my group last night will probably agree to me on this

We should be working on the codes before we even start voting for volunteers

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, looks like it's already solved? Meh.

Our mark/comes/in/the heart/of/their end/, so/ they /revel /in/ fear /before /your shadow.

Something seems off in this sentence. Especially in this first part. Guys, don't take things for granted, we should try to propose our own solutions too!

FM Safana
August 27th, 2013, 06:01 PM
The last 24 hours is when we should start working on scumhunting and choosing the volunteers

FM Xzar
August 27th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, looks like it's already solved? Meh.

Our mark/comes/in/the heart/of/their end/, so/ they /revel /in/ fear /before /your shadow.

Something seems off in this sentence. Especially in this first part. Guys, don't take things for granted, we should try to propose our own solutions too!

I did swap it around because I had the same feeling, but it's actually correct, atleast better than switching the heart and their end.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hey guys! what I proposed sounds a little off to me, so I'm hesitant to send someone off with that as the answer. TBH the second sentence sounds really solid to me, but I've tried playing around with the words remaining in the first sentence and I can't really get anything to fit. The main problem is a shortage of verbs :/

You guys should keep playing around with short phrases like I threw out - it'll be easier to put the puzzle together when the pieces are larger/fewer.

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:05 PM
:( Can't find the old Puzzle forum. So I can't use it to show people where I, very distantly, claimed my role.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Also there's a reason I settled on two sentences: the blocks can be moved upwards, so that means they can be positioned on top of each other. From the mechanics of the stones, the answer is probably either two sentences or one. But honestly with the shortage of conjunctions, I can't imagine a single sentence being possible.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Ammon you are definitely will be vouched by every Townie role here, you are really solid! it really sucks that we got so much lurker in our puzzle chat (kagain, Eldoth, Garrick...).

Btw, have you thought maybe about Satyr's Gate riddle? I'm afraid those poor guys will have to sacrifice another victim...

I think I'll ignore your answer for now (although it seems really solid!) and try to solve it from scratch, maybe I will find something else.

FM Aerie
August 27th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I think the correct answer for that puzzle is ''faith''.

FM Jaheira
August 27th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Hey everybody! I agree that Safana should be the one sent tonight again, as it makes sense to consolidate clues onto 1 person so Mortician/Monk/Diviner/Whatever other role can see clues will get them all at once. Only drawback to this is that the Thief will undoubtedly be checking this person as well, and could very well end up giving the Cult their 3 kills. I'm going to hold off on voting, but for now consider my vote heavily leaning on Safana. I'm going to go for a bit, but I will most definitely be thinking about the puzzle. I also have a very good feeling Ammon is going to be heavily vouched for tonight.

FM Aerie
August 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM
The clues are going to be revealed in the day chat anyway so it doesn't really matter if a theif can see them.

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Jaheira, what did you think about your friend FM Khalid?

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:25 PM
And what about Minsc... he has not mentioned Boo.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Ammon you are definitely will be vouched by every Townie role here, you are really solid! it really sucks that we got so much lurker in our puzzle chat (kagain, Eldoth, Garrick...).

Btw, have you thought maybe about Satyr's Gate riddle? I'm afraid those poor guys will have to sacrifice another victim...

I think I'll ignore your answer for now (although it seems really solid!) and try to solve it from scratch, maybe I will find something else.

Aw thanks guys :). I was actually in the Satyr's Gate chat. At first I thought the answer was "fire" (war -> fire in blood, when a fire 'dies' it becomes smoke and goes 'aloft') but now I'm more convinced it's "earth," as it fits every line extraordinarily well. Even the last line, if you parse the meaning a little differently, like "in death one becomes aloft in a higher plane than [answer]." In the middle ages, heaven was thought to literally have a higher altitude than Earth.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Some sentences I got so far. I know, I know, real fun begins when you try to put all things together:P

"to strike fear in the heart"
"the deed was done in Bhaal's name"
"they shall know their end"
"we who revel in your shadow"

Pretty sure that "their liquid life flow from their husk" is correct. "Our mark" is tricky one.

I wrote every word on the piece of cardboard and cut them up, it's way easier that way.

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Yup, the password to the God of Murder's temple is Earth.

FM Montaron
August 27th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Oh gee, another language puzzle. I hope we're going to get some different stuff in the following days. These kind of things really aren't my forte; I'll give it my best though.

Agreed. Not like we've seen anything from other reserves so far anyway.

So will I. I'll do my best.

:( Can't find the old Puzzle forum. So I can't use it to show people where I, very distantly, claimed my role.

Host had already said that the archives would only be available during the following day. After that they would disappear.

I think the correct answer for that puzzle is ''faith''.

This is what I'm pretty set on, too. Let's see if they get anything else on their side.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Yup, the password to the God of Murder's temple is Earth.

As if "secret" fits the murder motif that much better

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Secret fits very well thank you very much. A high amount of Murders are cause by secrets, become secrets. And Bhaal likes some things secret.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Secret fits very well thank you very much. A high amount of Murders are cause by secrets, become secrets. And Bhaal likes some things secret.

I think you could have made a better case for the word, but I don't see the point in arguing since we're not in the Satyr room and thus have no influence on the answer

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:40 PM
"They fear our mark", I think this is the only connection I can make with any other tile.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Btw, I'm not a native speaker (I'm terrible when it comes to articles) so please correct any grammar mistake I'll make. Of course I mean riddle-related ones;)

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Indeed, Ignore other past riddles for now.
And since you did such a fantastic Job for this Jigsaw, we barely need to concentrate on it.

Perhaps what we can do, Is talk about who is naughty and who is nice.

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Kivan... Do you like nature?

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Or perhaps it's "fear of our mark". "to strike fear of our mark"...

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Indeed, Ignore other past riddles for now.
And since you did such a fantastic Job for this Jigsaw, we barely need to concentrate on it.

Perhaps what we can do, Is talk about who is naughty and who is nice.

Ech I wouldn't say that so soon, I think people should try to follow Kivan's example and try to piece things together ignoring what I've already suggested.

I will say this though: I have been keeping a close eye on FM Coran. Call it a gut feeling, but it certainly seems like he's been trying very hard to act town and not step on too many toes.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Kivan... Do you like nature?

Every ranger* loves nature, right? So me, Minsc and Valygar spending a lot of time outside, drinking beer.

*roleplay

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:47 PM
What do you think of me? ^^

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Meh, I dislike Minsc, yet to hear anything from Boo. Which worries me, and make's me think he is Evil.

I like nature...

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Ok, Faldorn, you are claiming Druid again, please stop spamming about it. If you want to live try to solve the riddle, we will have no reason to kill someone who helps us.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I try to fix Ammon's first sentence because second one looks really good.

"Fear of our mark comes in the heart so before their end they revel in your shadow"

"They revel in fear of our mark, so before their end your shadow comes in the heart"

Both seem wrong, it's not "their heart", but "the heart". The Heart is problematic, I have trouble putting it in the good place.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Ok, I'm tired, hopefully I will see some solutions from non-Ammon players when I come back;)

FM Faldorn
August 27th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I sleep too.

FM Minsc
August 27th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Meh, I dislike Minsc, yet to hear anything from Boo. Which worries me, and make's me think he is Evil.

I like nature...

I do not understand the point here. I am not a Balder gate player so I don't know the background to any of these characters.

Apart from this however I am catching up

FM Jaheira
August 27th, 2013, 07:16 PM
"To some, the realisation settled in that the clues that had been found after opening the gates by the two lucky survivors may in some way be related to the four altars in the temple"

I presume this means that whomever suggested yesterday that we'd have to perform 4 rituals was correct. This'll be fun.. I suggest you all go back to day 2 and read the end-RP if you haven't already.

Unfortunately this kind of puzzle is most definitely not my forte. That said, I will do my best to aid all of you who are good at this in whatever way possible. If all else fails, scumhunting is always possible.

@Faldorn: Khalid seems to be trying. He was rather active trying to solve the Satyr's puzzle, but seemed to be neutral on the lynch. Unsure if Town, or Cult trying to diffuse a lynch against one of their own. Time will tell.

FM Minsc
August 27th, 2013, 07:20 PM
*sigh* here's the best I could do as far as a full answer. It's not quite there but it's something. I will post my shorter syntactic links tomorrow

Our mark comes in the heart of their end, so they revel in fear before your shadow.
When their liquid life flows from their husk, we who swear to strike in Bhaal's name shall know the deed was done.

Traditionally, the main ritual the cult of Bhaal uses for his resurrection involves sacrifice of the Bhaalspawn. The Bhaalspawn are bound to Bhaal through their blood, and only through this ritual sacrifice can Bhaal be made whole again.

This is the answer. There is no doubt about it in my eyes. The structure is correct and the phrasing is sensible.

FM Ammon
August 27th, 2013, 07:39 PM
What do you think of me? ^^

Eh, townish I guess? As a reserve, I've really only been focusing on a few people that really stand out to me. Sorry Faldorn, you don't really stand out :/

Cernd and Branwen seem like strong town reads.
I hear Viconia was scummy in the puzzle chat, and the fact that her clue contradicts Safana's makes me even more suspicious. I think the town should have lynched her to confirm her identity.
Anomen seems like a scum who's too afraid to argue with Mazzy because he fears drawing too much attention to himself.
Mazzy seems towny enough.

@Minsc I still think the first sentence is a little awkward. The part that concerns me is "revel in fear," since those words kind of have opposite connotations.

FM Minsc
August 27th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Eh, townish I guess? As a reserve, I've really only been focusing on a few people that really stand out to me. Sorry Faldorn, you don't really stand out :/

Cernd and Branwen seem like strong town reads.
I hear Viconia was scummy in the puzzle chat, and the fact that her clue contradicts Safana's makes me even more suspicious. I think the town should have lynched her to confirm her identity.
Anomen seems like a scum who's too afraid to argue with Mazzy because he fears drawing too much attention to himself.
Mazzy seems towny enough.

@Minsc I still think the first sentence is a little awkward. The part that concerns me is "revel in fear," since those words kind of have opposite connotations.

I am mistaken it seems. I had a different definition of revel than the one correct.

FM Minsc
August 27th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I highly disagree. Brawens only strong point is her lack of fear in making long drawn out posts. However the content of what she says continually contradicts her own stances. Cernd does strike me as townie however.

FM Minsc
August 27th, 2013, 07:47 PM
We who swear to strike in Bhaal's name revel when their liquid life flows from their husk. Our mark comes in the heart of their end. They fear before your shadow, so shall know the deed was done.

I do not know if this is a correct phrasing but from all I know about such things this makes the most sense to my ears. The comma within shadow and so acts as a soft and in many cases of the English language and as such may be at a similar effect here.

FM Jaheira
August 27th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I dislike the "They fear before your shadow, so shall know the deed was done." Specifically, "they fear" just sounds awkward. A more likely word would be "cower", but that word isn't in the puzzle. Then "so shall know" just sounds wrong.

As for "revel in fear" it makes perfect sense if it's a Cultist saying it; they revel in the fear they cause others to feel, since they serve Bhaal, the god of murder, death, destruction, retribution and evil. People who serve the god of murder, who's also the god of evil, would revel in another's fear.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Insomnia.

"When their liquid life flows from their husk, we who swear to strike in Bhaal's name shall know the deed was done." I have a question about "we shall know the deed was done". Using "was" when rest of this sentence is in future tense seems really weird to me. Shouldn't it be "we shall know the deed is done"?

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
"We who revel in our mark shall know when to strike".
"their liquid life flows from their husk".

I think I'll try to these two sentences.

FM Kivan
August 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I think "we" = "Bhaalspawns". "Our mark" = Mark of Bhaal, since they are all his children.

"They" = everybody who opposes Bhaal. The victims.

Hopefully someone will explain "was done" part. It really annoys me. Perhaps whole message will start with "The deed was done before" or smth.

FM Jaheira
August 27th, 2013, 09:24 PM
That part is bugging me, too (insomnia buddies ftw lol...). So far we've been looking at it from a Cultist PoV, but we should be looking at it from both angles. I'm not good at rearranging jumbled words/sentences, so I'm afraid I'm not gonna be much use this time around. I do have quite a bit of experience with the English language though, so hopefully I can help in that respect.

FM Bevil
August 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Good Morning everybody.
Sorry I am not more active but I lost motivation to help out as a reserve player. People hated it when I posted reads and thoughts about the game since it was cluttering the puzzle thread and it is hard for me to do the puzzles since English is not my mother tongue.

I am still interested in replacing in but I probably will not post here again.

FM Safana
August 27th, 2013, 10:58 PM
|we who|revel|in|your shadow|
|swear|in|bhaal’s name|
|to strike|the heart|so|
|their liquid|life|flows|from|their husk|
|when| the deed|was done|
|they|shall know|fear|in|our mark|
|before| their end|comes|

This is what I have so far, I am close though

FM Faldorn
August 28th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Good Morning everybody.
Sorry I am not more active but I lost motivation to help out as a reserve player. People hated it when I posted reads and thoughts about the game since it was cluttering the puzzle thread and it is hard for me to do the puzzles since English is not my mother tongue.

I am still interested in replacing in but I probably will not post here again.

We don't mind reads and so on, so go ahead and post them ^^

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Mornin' peeps. I don't know which puzzle chat you were in, but the group Faldorn Kivan and I were in last night were analysing quite a bit (Although granted we were fairly confident in our answer at that point).

|swear|in|bhaal’s name|
|to strike|the heart|so|

Seems close. My brain's rebelling against any sort of mental strain atm so I'm pulling blanks on anything helpful :/ sorry.

FM Xzar
August 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM
|swear|in|bhaal’s name|
|to strike|the heart|so|

The tense in "was done" suggests that this isn't quite the solution.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM
It's likely that the phrase moves from past tense to present tense, rather than present to past like we've been doing. Could it refer to when Bhaal was killed, and a promise to resurrect him?

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Jaheira, I smell bullshit. If you have time to post here so often, you should have time to try this word matching. Seriously, this isn't hard concept to grasp, children in preschool are doing something similar. The thing is we have a lot of possibilities, so we need a lot of people.

Take piece of cardboard, write down all the words and try to move them around.

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Here is what I came up with so far; I haven't taken into account other answers (Although I have used Ammon's little syntax lesson; thank you for this); as I didn't want to be influenced by others. I tried many different combinations, but I kept ending up with too many pronouns left. :(
Keep in mind, again, that these kind of things really aren't my forte, so apologies if I made any major mistakes.

/Our mark/comes/in/the heart/of/their end/
/so/they/revel/in/fear/before/Bhaal's name./
/When/their liquid/life/flows/from/their husk,/
/we who/swear/to strike/in/your shadow/
/shall know/the deed/was done./

FM Safana
August 28th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I woke up and only see 6 new posts :/

FM Xzar
August 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Here is what I came up with so far; I haven't taken into account other answers (Although I have used Ammon's little syntax lesson; thank you for this); as I didn't want to be influenced by others. I tried many different combinations, but I kept ending up with too many pronouns left. :(
Keep in mind, again, that these kind of things really aren't my forte, so apologies if I made any major mistakes.

/Our mark/comes/in/the heart/of/their end/
/so/they/revel/in/fear/before/Bhaal's name./
/When/their liquid/life/flows/from/their husk,/
/we who/swear/to strike/in/your shadow/
/shall know/the deed/was done./

Would "strike in your shadow" make more sense than "strike in Bhaal's name"?

FM Safana
August 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have this crazy idea that what if there are same amount of syllables in each line? The problem is that we don't know how many syllables or lines there are

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM
|swear|in|bhaal’s name|
|to strike|the heart|so|

I'm skeptical. Obviously the ''The deed was done'' part doesn't make sense, as Xzar said, but the fact that you forgot some parts of it almost makes me wonder if this may be an attempt to sabotage, or just inattention/lack of verification of your answer.
Missing ''of'' in there.

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Would "strike in your shadow" make more sense than "strike in Bhaal's name"?

I hadn't realized that this was so close to Ammon's answer, actually. Not that It's a bad thing; shows that we're probably in the right direction.
And I think that in this situation, both really make sense. I'm not sure which is better than the other. What does everyone think?

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Your misconception, Kivan, is assuming that I'm not trying. I've been doing just that in a notepad, just without much success; mostly gibberish. I'm just saying that this specific kind of puzzle is not my forte, but I will try my best.

The cardboard idea is a good one, and would give a visual akin to the one in the RP. Although I very much dislike your aggressive attitude and the assumption that I'm purposefully not committing to this. The time I have to devote to this game has lessened with the start of school, but I will still do my best to be active.

@Montaron: Cespanar has neither confirmed nor denied that we must use all of the words (At least that's what I remember him saying)

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM

You'll have to figure that one out yourself...

Here. It's possible some stones are in there just to throw us off and not all should be used.

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Oh of course he wouldn't tell us that we CAN leave stones out. He won't confirm or deny it. Why would a stone be left out, though? It makes no sense at all. I'm assuming we're looking for a specific sentence, with a specific meaning. Probably not in the perfect order (Such as Strike in your shadow or Strike in Bhaal's name; I do believe that if the rest is good both would be considered good answer, I think), but leaving words is most likely a no go.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Most likely, yes, but not impossible.

If the spirit of the phrase is intact, will it be considered correct even if it is not the answer looked for?

FM Ammon
August 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM
The RP specifically states that stones cannot be removed. I think this is probably a sign that they are all used in the phrase

FM Ferengi
August 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM
If the spirit of the phrase is intact, will it be considered correct even if it is not the answer looked for?
No.

FM Ammon
August 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Is all the information reasonably needed to solve the puzzle included in the first post of the thread?

FM Ferengi
August 28th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Is all the information reasonably needed to solve the puzzle included in the first post of the thread?
Yes.

FM Ammon
August 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
From Cespenar's last two answers, I have to believe there's an element missing, that would make one phrasing preferable to an equivalent one. At first I thought it might be a poem, but the only rhyming words are know/shadow.

FM Ammon
August 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I suggest everyone read the RP a couple times over, looking for anything that might be helpful

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I suggest everyone read the RP a couple times over, looking for anything that might be helpful

Will do. Judging from Cespenar's reply, we have most likely made a wrong turn somewhere, seeing how both your and my answer were so similar but only one of the two would work. Back to the drawing board!

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Ok, obvious "we" are the bad guys who want to slaughter "them" in very gruesome ways. Here's some of conclusions:

1: Revel comes with "our shadow", "Bhaal's name" or "fear", but only bad guys revel. That's why it's "we revel", not "they revel".

2: The Heart is probably coming with "fear" or "revel". I know "heart" can also mean "center", but nothing good comes with it.

3: "Their liquid life flows from their husk" it's probably the only good sentence you can built using these words.

4: "Our mark" is again used when referencing to Bhaalspawns.

5. I bet we have to use all the tiles. Otherwise we would have way too many possible answers.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 10:48 AM
"our mark" sounds like it means "our target" like in archery or shooting where you're told to "Hit the mark". So in the riddle "to strike our mark(the bhaalspawn)". Also this sounds like a prayer or ritual to be performed to get into a sacrificial area, probably some sort of altar. Just my hunch.

FM Minsc
August 28th, 2013, 10:51 AM
"our mark" sounds like it means "our target" like in archery or shooting where you're told to "Hit the mark". So in the riddle "to strike our mark(the bhaalspawn)". Also this sounds like a prayer or ritual to be performed to get into a sacrificial area, probably some sort of altar. Just my hunch.

Or it could be quite literally our mark as in a symbol of our organization. Which I believe more likely considering the other words involved.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Perhaps answer should use only some letter from the tile, because we should form A GUIDE telling us what to do.

Not perfect solution, I still have "of" tile.

Before,/swear/in/Bhaal's name/ :

"We who/revel/in/your shadow/shall know/when/ to strike.

In/the heart/they/fear/our mark.

Their liquid/life/flows/from/their husk.

Their end/comes.
"

The deed/was done.

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Perhaps answer should use only some letter from the tile, because we should form A GUIDE telling us what to do.

Not perfect solution, I still have "of" tile.

Before,/swear/in/Bhaal's name/ :

"We who/revel/in/your shadow/shall know/when/ to strike.

In/the heart/they/fear/our mark.

Their liquid/life/flows/from/their husk.

Their end/comes.
"

The deed/was done.

I don't know. This feels kinda wrong to me; The ''Their liquid life flows from their husk'' seems to have been randomly placed; in this situation it doesn't make much sense with the rest.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
So far the two phrases I'm fairly certain of are "We who/(swear)/to strike/in/bhaal's name" and "Before/their end/they/shall/know/". Then probably attached to that is "fear/of/your shadow" or "fear/when/the deed/was done/". I dislike this last one cause it jumps tenses mid-sentence, which means it's definitely wrong :/ Dead ends everywhere.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
The parentheses means I'm not entirely sure about that one word and it could be swapped out for another (Like swear for revel to use swear later on)

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I've reread the RP multiple times; I really can't see any kind of link that we can make between it and the puzzle. I doubt they are related for this one. Thoughts?

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I've reread the RP multiple times; I really can't see any kind of link that we can make between it and the puzzle. I doubt they are related for this one. Thoughts?

RP it's just RP, it's obvious we have to form the sentence from these "stones". The only clue I see here is that torch is on "Eastern side" of the building. This may suggest we should start from the left of this entire string of words. "Life comes from their husk"?

Those words should form one of those: a) a riddle b) a guideline c) a sentence which is also a password.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM
In the night 1 puzzle chat our group couldn't find any link there either, so I'm inclined to agree with Kivan; RP is just RP. No significance whatsoever except in the directions given.

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Oh, I'm just saying that the hosts did say that additional clues may have been hidden in the RP, but I haven't seen this happen in the FM so far. So I'm not sure; I'd rather double check.

And I like the observation about the torch. Might be worth looking into.

FM Montaron
August 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Either way, I have to head out, I'll be back in a few hours. Here's hoping some of the lurkers show up; right now this puzzle chat is way too inactive, only a few are even trying.

Also, don't forget to vouch for Ammon, I would love to see him replace one of our shitty inactive players.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Oh gosh yes. I'd take Ammon over any of our lurkers any day of the week >_> Anybody got anything new to add that might help with solving this?

FM Minsc
August 28th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Either way, I have to head out, I'll be back in a few hours. Here's hoping some of the lurkers show up; right now this puzzle chat is way too inactive, only a few are even trying.

Also, don't forget to vouch for Ammon, I would love to see him replace one of our shitty inactive players.

I will not forget to do so, as such a thing has already been done by myself.

FM Minsc
August 28th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Oh gosh yes. I'd take Ammon over any of our lurkers any day of the week >_> Anybody got anything new to add that might help with solving this?

I'm afraid not on my end. The only thing making sense is what I have suggested previously to me. . . .

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
"We shall know the deed was done" - can anybody answer if this is correct? I don't like past-future mix in here, but it's really hard to put "was done" part somewhere else.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I think I managed to make this work.

"We who swear to strike before the deed was done shall know..."

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 04:31 PM
That might work, but it depends on the rest of the sentence. I have a very bad feeling that we're going to be using this puzzle as a lynch if we don't solve it soon. Really all our problems are stemming from the fact that every single word there is present/future tense, then BOOM, past tense word. Ammon, we could use you on this if you're here.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I came with this for now.

When their liquid life flows from their husk, they shall know their end comes in the heart of your shadow.
So we, who swear in Bhaal's name to strike fear before the deed was done, revel in our mark.

When/their liquid/life/flows/from/their husk, they/shall know/their end/comes/in/the heart/of/your shadow.
So/we who/swear/in/Bhaal's name/to strike/fear/before/the deed/was/done/revel/in/our mark.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 04:35 PM
There's still some "ugh" moments in here, but I think I'm getting close.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM
That sounds pretty close. I have so far "Life flows when we who revel in your shadow swear to strike the heart of" and now I'm at a brick wall cause I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

What specifically are you finding wrong with your answer?

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm also really ticked off at the lack of at least one "and" in this puzzle. They just had to make my life hard :/

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 04:43 PM
If you decide that's wrong, the line "in the heart of your shadow" sounds very much like what a Cultist would say about an inner-sanctum, which I think is what we're trying to get into right now.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Well, it mostly makes sense. I mean, victim is bleeding out, he sees shadow of death, trembles in fear, while those chosed by Bhaal enjoy the moment. I dislike "heart of your shadow" a bit, but heart is really tricky one here. I really would like grammar check on this one.

Anyway, I'm going to sleep, happy cracking!

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM
If you decide that's wrong, the line "in the heart of your shadow" sounds very much like what a Cultist would say about an inner-sanctum, which I think is what we're trying to get into right now.

Lol, yeah, this is weak part in my opinion:P

If this was "their heart" I could use it to "strike fear in their heart", but "the heart" probably means "center".

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Well it makes sense in the fact that the Bhaalspawn were made specifically to carry Bhaal's essence for their eventual sacrifice to bring Bhaal back to life, and that line means they should take comfort in knowing that they are serving their purpose

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I guess if we mean inner Sanctum it may have sense. I'd like opinion of others. Perhaps it needs re-arranging.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Heart meaning center actually conveys that depiction of comfort; they are dying in the heart(center) of their father's shadow. In my mind, it's a twisted version of the Judeo-Christian belief that people are covered over by the shadow of God's wings and they should take comfort in that.

If anyone else has an opinion, please do speak up. We need all the clues we can get, so more input = more points of view = lesser chance that we'll miss something.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Also, once again, "was done" seems wrong to me because it should be "is done". It could be ok if entire sentence was in past tense, but we have "swear", not "swore".

I'm not grammar Nazi so I'm not sure.

FM Jaheira
August 28th, 2013, 05:29 PM
It's possible that "Was done" is meant to be paired with "when" like "When the dead was done" but that sounds more like a story narrative than a password to open something :/

FM Xzar
August 28th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Yeah it's most likely not something narrative, considering the rest of the sentence.

I don't know, to me it seems a bit more farfetched to say "in the heart of the shadow" than the other suggestions we had.

FM Kivan
August 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM
When their liquid life flows from their husk, they shall know their end comes in your shadow.
So we, who swear in Bhaal's name to strike fear before the deed was done, revel in our mark (of the heart).

Or maybe the heart of our mark. I have really hard time with "the heart".

FM Minsc
August 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I apologize for my absences during this puzzle chat in comparison to the others we have been in together, for those without knowledge I was active in the discussion the previous night, and tonight I am afraid I have gained a multitude of things that require attention, within the game and real life, that are calling me away from this chat itself.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I think we can slowly embrace the idea of not solving it.

FM Eldoth

Because he contributed so much.

FM Faldorn
August 29th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I hate this :( HATE HATE HATE!

FM Aerie
August 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Been trying to fit these words together for hours. no success :(

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Aerie, I propose you switch your vote to Eldoth. He isn't afk like the rest. so if he wants to live he can propose a solution. Faldorn would also be my choice.

We should still try to solve it, but votes should be already in place.

FM Aerie
August 29th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Fm Eldoth

Does anyone know why safana was chosen to volunteer last night?

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Because some people were too lazy (Xzar and Anomen) to look twice at the proposed answer and told that this is correct for sure. Faldorn didn't give a single shit about clue.

FM Minsc
August 29th, 2013, 06:38 AM
FM Eldoth

Kivan, the suggestion you have placed last does make grammatical sense. Being that we are talking about a fanatical cult in terms of this puzzle makes what you have just said situational (correct) as well.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Because some people were too lazy (Xzar and Anomen) to look twice at the proposed answer and told that this is correct for sure. Faldorn didn't give a single shit about clue.

It was the one that made most sense to me and is still one of the top answers for me. Others haven't impressed me as much.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 07:04 AM
But since we are unsure I agree on voting up Eldoth.

FM Eldoth

FM Faldorn
August 29th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I hate word Jigsaws. No matter what I do, they never make sense to me.

FM Montaron
August 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Yeesh. I was gone all day, and it seems there was no advancement whatsoever. I guess Eldoth is going to have to pick one of the answers and try it. I'll make a chart that I'll post tomorrow to get the people in the other puzzle chat up to speed with what happened here.

FM Eldoth

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Here's the thing. I know this isn't one of those puzzles where you can spam proposed solutions like yesternight, but I don't like that people posted no solutions at all! "I've been trying, no success", yeah, I totally believe you. Ideas for even simple phrases could help others to find the right track, but you chose to ignore it.

This is my summary of your contribution, some of it will go into my LW.

Of course FM Ammon is awesome! You've been vouched;)

FM Jaheira - Contributed, seems ok.
FM Aerie - Aerie didn't post any solution, but "has been trying for HOURS". Suuuure, I believe her. Accepted Ammon's solution in an instant, voted for Safana to volunteer and later asked why did we vote her. Perhaps it was sarcasm, perhaps it was a slip.
FM Safana - Posted one solution, I liked her idea about even amound of sylables in each verse, didn't mind being volunteer.
FM Anomen - One useless post.
FM Eldoth - Nothing.
FM Xzar - Didn't posted a single solution, tried to look like he is contributing, but it wasn't much.
FM Faldorn - Didn't give a single guano about the riddle.
FM Montaron - He said he has no time but his contribution was significant. Proposed a solution, tried different approach. And he promised us a table. I like tables.
FM Kivan - I feel failure-ish. Sure, I tried, but what matters are results/
FM Minsc - Proposed one solution, apparently have no time to contribute more.
FM Kagain, FM Garrick - Why are those guys still not replaced?

FM Aerie
August 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I was actually talking about why safana was voted up in the last nights puzzle.

FM Ammon
August 29th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Here's the thing. I know this isn't one of those puzzles where you can spam proposed solutions like yesternight, but I don't like that people posted no solutions at all! "I've been trying, no success", yeah, I totally believe you. Ideas for even simple phrases could help others to find the right track, but you chose to ignore it.

FM Aerie - Aerie didn't post any solution, but "has been trying for HOURS". Suuuure, I believe her. Accepted Ammon's solution in an instant, voted for Safana to volunteer and later asked why did we vote her. Perhaps it was sarcasm, perhaps it was a slip.
FM Safana - Posted one solution, I liked her idea about even amound of sylables in each verse, didn't mind being volunteer.
FM Eldoth - Nothing.
FM Xzar - Didn't posted a single solution, tried to look like he is contributing, but it wasn't much.
FM Montaron - He said he has no time but his contribution was significant. Proposed a solution, tried different approach. And he promised us a table. I like tables.

If you haven't already, you should save this post somewhere you can get to it later - I definitely will because I think it's a good analysis. Remember the puzzle chats are only archived for one day, and you'll probably want to access this when the players who aren't quite as in-the-spotlight during these first few days become more relevant.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Don't worry, I'm keeping notes on everyone:P

FM Ferengi
August 29th, 2013, 11:28 AM
REMINDER: Deadline to send in night actions is 2 hours before night ending.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Lol I have the same color as Anomen? Come on, I helped to dismiss answers and brought it up when word orders weren't quite logical to me. Say what you want, but I'm not gonna let it sit when someone like Montaron has a green color by switching a part from Ammon's solution (no offense Montaron).

FM Minsc
August 29th, 2013, 11:41 AM

FM Eldoth - Nothing.

I do not believe I should be green, maybe dark green or so. Time restraints aside I should have attempted to be here more.

I was actually talking about why safana was voted up in the last nights puzzle.

She, if I remember correctly, volunteered and we had a good idea what the answer was gonna be.

FM Montaron
August 29th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Lol I have the same color as Anomen? Come on, I helped to dismiss answers and brought it up when word orders weren't quite logical to me. Say what you want, but I'm not gonna let it sit when someone like Montaron has a green color by switching a part from Ammon's solution (no offense Montaron).

I don't think It's only about the answer. I hadn't considered Ammon's answer when I made mine; We had a similar train of thoughts for the solution.
I'll assume that my green color isn't just for the solution; but for the other posts too.
I'd place myself as dark green; My contribution wasn't bad but could have been better.
I have you as yellow in my list; Your posts seemed pretty fillerish/sheepish, and you haven't really brought much to the discussion, and haven't proposed any answer.

I'm doing my notes and reads right now, I'll post them ASAP, although I am again quite busy.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think It's only about the answer. I hadn't considered Ammon's answer when I made mine; We had a similar train of thoughts for the solution.
I'll assume that my green color isn't just for the solution; but for the other posts too.
I'd place myself as dark green; My contribution wasn't bad but could have been better.
I have you as yellow in my list; Your posts seemed pretty fillerish/sheepish, and you haven't really brought much to the discussion, and haven't proposed any answer.

I'm doing my notes and reads right now, I'll post them ASAP, although I am again quite busy.
That's okay because me being orange would equal "one useless post" and "didn't give one single guano about the riddle" while I gave my thoughts on different counts, definitely more than a "useless post".

FM Grobnar
August 29th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I can see that someone is definitely going to be replaced tomorrow.

FM Jaheira
August 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM

FM Eldoth - Nothing.

Like last night's puzzle chat, I think this accurately sums up what's happened so far, and we should post it tomorrow anonymously so the others know.

For the one who asked, Safana was voted last night cause no one was sure of her alignment, but we believed she would give us the right answer, and she volunteered, so 1 + 1 +1 = votes on Safana.. We initially voted her tonight to consolidate clues for Mortician/Diviner. FM Eldoth If he doesn't come back, I suggest switching votes either back to Safana, or onto myself to avoid having no chance at all of solving the puzzle.

EVERYONE PLEASE VOUCH FOR AMMON AND IF YOU HAVE NO NIGHT ACTION SEND IN A SOLUTION FOR THE MAIN PUZZLE.

FM Jaheira
August 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
General analysis of Night 2 Puzzle Chat:

FM Safana - Posted one solution, I liked her idea about even amount of syllables in each verse, didn't mind being volunteer.
FM Eldoth - Nothing.
FM Montaron - He said he has no time but his contribution was significant. Proposed a solution, tried different approach. And he promised us a table. Tables are great.
FM Kivan - Contributed, very helpful, kept chat moving.
FM Minsc - Proposed one solution, apparently had no time to contribute more.

Our puzzle : “when” “your shadow” “flows” “in” “they” “swear” “their liquid” “of” “bhaal’s name” “fear” “we who” “to strike” “before” “the deed” “revel” “the heart” “in” “their end” “so” “was done” “our mark” “shall know” “from” “in” “their husk” “life” “comes”

It seems reasonable to assume that these words are supposed to form a phrase of some kind.

Portion of my last will for tonight. Changed portions of the analysis to conceal Kivan's identity and minor spelling mistakes to reduce chances of someone finding out who wrote it.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I've colored the players based on how I see them after whole game, not only after tonight's puzzle.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Also remember about Imoen's idea for LW, it's really nice one.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Thx Jaheira^^

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I'll post my LW's readings after night actions are locked.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I would agree on posting that if we make my name yellow. Otherwise I'm going to protest this the whole game long everytime it comes up. This is one thing I will be butthurt over.

New reply: Now that's just stupid Kivan because you only gave reasonings from tonight's puzzle chat to justify your overall colors.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Yup, and color means how I see you after tonight.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 01:42 PM
btw, Xzar, let's do a little experiment: tell me what have you done for Town? Advertise yourself, show your best side.

FM Minsc
August 29th, 2013, 01:51 PM

In the heart of their end, Our mark comes.
so they revel in fear before your shadow.
When their liquid life flows from their husk
We who swear to strike in Bhaal's name shall know the deed was done.

We, who swear to strike in Bhaal's name revel before your shadow, shall know the deed was done, When their liquid life flows from their husk they fear our mark comes in the heart of their end.

In the heart of their end we, who swear to strike in Bhaal's name know the deed was done, revel before your shadow. Their liquid life flows from their husk. When our mark comes they shall fear.

All possible solutions; I apologize again for my late contributions.

FM Minsc
August 29th, 2013, 01:52 PM

We, who swear to strike in Bhaal's name revel before your shadow, shall know the deed was done, When their liquid life flows from their husk they fear our mark comes in the heart of their end.

In the heart of their end we, who swear to strike in Bhaal's name know the deed was done, revel before your shadow. Their liquid life flows from their husk. When our mark comes they shall fear.

Formatting

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM
btw, Xzar, let's do a little experiment: tell me what have you done for Town? Advertise yourself, show your best side.

Day 1: Not much, gave my input here and there. Already said that I was unable to do much more. Whatever.
Night 1: Actively looked for a solution. My activity increased tenfold, such was also stated by people in my puzzle chat.
Day 2: Tried to exchange information as fast as possible at the beginning, gave thoughts on some players when needed. During the latter half I wasn't as much of a "town leader" but I don't intend to be anyway.
Night 2: Gav my input to different solutions, spoke up whenever I saw something that I felt didn't quite fit. People provided solutions, I judged them.

That's more or less it. More town than scum although my activity level isn't as high as others (but by no means that of a lurker).

There, enough advertising. Now, back to the matter at hand: If we post a list like that then it should accurately represent tonight's puzzle chat.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Formatting

Yeah, the first solution sounds best to me. The others sound awkward.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Although the second solution also seemed promising, the part after "our mark comes" seems unfitting to me.

FM Jaheira
August 29th, 2013, 02:06 PM

Revel: To enjoy oneself in a lively and noisy way, esp. with drinking and dancing. That eliminates a handful of these solutions, but the last one seems plausible. Does it use all the phrases provided?

FM Minsc
August 29th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Revel: To enjoy oneself in a lively and noisy way, esp. with drinking and dancing. That eliminates a handful of these solutions, but the last one seems plausible. Does it use all the phrases provided?

The last two include that definition of revel and indeed use all of the phrases provided when I checked them. The first is a repasting of the original suggestion and the one following that is a reformatted version of it that fits with the situational context of the puzzle.

FM Minsc
August 29th, 2013, 02:12 PM
The last two include that definition of revel and indeed use all of the phrases provided when I checked them. The first is a repasting of the original suggestion and the one following that is a reformatted version of it that fits with the situational context of the puzzle.

Ive included the first two phrases on the off chance the hosts saw fit to use some alternate obscure definition of revel.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Alright, considering that the definition of revel leaves us with two possibilities as stated, I'd go with the latter. Sounds better, although it isn't satisfying. I can't seem to make it better though.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Eldoth will fuck this up anyway.

Does unsolved clue location comes back following night? E.g. we fail at puzzle A and B. Should we expect puzzle A and B following night?

FM Montaron
August 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM
FM Ammon: Our only active replacement. We had another in the puzzle chat, but he really didn't say much or contributed anything. Ammon posted a very good analysis of the possible syntax of the puzzle, as well as the solution that I think is most probable. The solution to the puzzle that I came up with was extremely similar; only two parts were swapped. Pretty sure most people in our group vouched for him; here's hoping he replaced one of the shitty lurkers.
FM Kivan: Most active player during our puzzle chat. Discussed about possible syntax and wording a lot and was generally very helpful. Also submitted a possible solution. Best town read I have out of everyone in this puzzle chat.
FM Minsc: Wasn't the most active out of the bunch, but was generally very helpful. Also submitted a solution that I deemed was very plausible.
FM Montaron (Myself): I, overall, think that my contribution was good. I couldn't post all that much (Even said at the beginning of the night that I couldn't be here much; still managed to spend some time on it after all). My solution was very similar to Ammon's, and I think I discussed some good points.
FM Jaheira: General contribution was alright. Nothing too out of the ordinary; made some good points, had a good discussion with Kivan about the sentence placements.
FM Xzar: Was pretty okay. Hasn't really contributed much to finding a solution and hasn't posted one himself. Felt like he was simply trying to blend in.
FM Safana: Only a few posts. Posted a solution, but it was missing a word or more. Still not sure if that was a sabotage attempt or not. Was okay with possibly being sent again for the clue.
FM Faldorn: Nothing but filler posts. He did not contribute anything at all towards the puzzles. Repeated multiple times that he hated word puzzles.
FM Aerie: Hasn't done anything. Posted about how we should send Safana again, talked about last day's puzzle a bit (?), and hasn't mentionned anything about the current puzzle, again. Was accusing people of not contributing in puzzle chat (And tried to derail a lynch yesterday) when she, herself, has been lurking her ass off and hasn't posted anything worthwhile. Said she ''has been trying for HOURS to find a solution.'' My pick for scummiest (active) person that should be pressured ASAP.
FM Anomen: One single post, saying he liked how one answer for the puzzle looked. Hasn't contributed anything. Obviously his Spy claim was bullshit, else he would have at least tried to help us solve this.
FM Kagain, FM Eldoth & FM Garrick: All inactive; not a single post. It's safe to assume that they will be replaced. Eldoth was sent for the puzzle.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM
FM Ammon: Our only active replacement. We had another in the puzzle chat, but he really didn't say much or contributed anything. Ammon posted a very good analysis of the possible syntax of the puzzle, as well as the solution that I think is most probable. The solution to the puzzle that I came up with was extremely similar; only two parts were swapped. Pretty sure most people in our group vouched for him; here's hoping he replaced one of the shitty lurkers.
FM Kivan: Most active player during our puzzle chat. Discussed about possible syntax and wording a lot and was generally very helpful. Also submitted a possible solution. Best town read I have out of everyone in this puzzle chat.
FM Minsc: Wasn't the most active out of the bunch, but was generally very helpful. Also submitted a solution that I deemed was very plausible.
FM Montaron (Myself): I, overall, think that my contribution was good. I couldn't post all that much (Even said at the beginning of the night that I couldn't be here much; still managed to spend some time on it after all). My solution was very similar to Ammon's, and I think I discussed some good points.
FM Jaheira: General contribution was alright. Nothing too out of the ordinary; made some good points, had a good discussion with Kivan about the sentence placements.
FM Xzar: Was pretty okay. Hasn't really contributed much to finding a solution and hasn't posted one himself. Felt like he was simply trying to blend in.
FM Safana: Only a few posts. Posted a solution, but it was missing a word or more. Still not sure if that was a sabotage attempt or not. Was okay with possibly being sent again for the clue.
FM Faldorn: Nothing but filler posts. He did not contribute anything at all towards the puzzles. Repeated multiple times that he hated word puzzles.
FM Aerie: Hasn't done anything. Posted about how we should send Safana again, talked about last day's puzzle a bit (?), and hasn't mentionned anything about the current puzzle, again. Was accusing people of not contributing in puzzle chat (And tried to derail a lynch yesterday) when she, herself, has been lurking her ass off and hasn't posted anything worthwhile. Said she ''has been trying for HOURS to find a solution.'' My pick for scummiest (active) person that should be pressured ASAP.
FM Anomen: One single post, saying he liked how one answer for the puzzle looked. Hasn't contributed anything. Obviously his Spy claim was bullshit, else he would have at least tried to help us solve this.
FM Kagain, FM Eldoth & FM Garrick: All inactive; not a single post. It's safe to assume that they will be replaced. Eldoth was sent for the puzzle.

Alright, this is a good post with extensive reasoning. I just wondered if you have to make it anonymous, you know, change the parts that identify you as FM Montaron.

FM Montaron
August 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Alright, this is a good post with extensive reasoning. I just wondered if you have to make it anonymous, you know, change the parts that identify you as FM Montaron.

Do you think it should be posted anonymously? I don't really mind if people know who posted these; Why would it matter?

FM Jaheira
August 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Last night we changed things to hide the author of our reads, since scum would convert anyone with good analytical skills. If the player is converted, we in the puzzle chat would know that it was likely someone in the chat doing the converting, forcing scum to random-convert from outside chats, increasing the odds of blindly hitting an Explorer rather than guessing at a PR.

FM Ferengi
August 29th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Does unsolved clue location comes back following night?
This is very likely.

FM Montaron
August 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
FM Montaron: Overall a good contribution; Couldn't post all that much (He did say at the beginning of the night that he couldn't be here much; still managed to spend some time on it after all). His solution was very similar to Ammon's but with small changes. Discussed some good points overall.

There, fixed.
Good point, Jaheira.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Legend:

Red - I'm quite sure he/she is scum
Orange - Weird, suspicious behavior
Grey - Don't have an opinion or possible neutral.
Dark Green - Giving town vibes
Green - I believe this is Town aligned player. Or at least he was yesterday;)
* - Was in my puzzle chat.

FM Aerie (*) - Nothing new, didn't contribute at all in night chat, she only said she's been "trying for HOURS". I totally believe her. Noticed Quayle's fail during d2 and this was it.
FM Ajantis - Fuck this guy. Signing up for the game and then insulting everybody for playing.
FM Alora - Harper, huh? She took long time to answer some of my simple questions (~around #900 on d2), I find it suspicious.
FM Anomen (*) - He plays visible Lunatic, something no Town would do after claiming investigative role. Doesn't trust his own readings. Scum or Lunatic.
FM Branwen - Random claim during n1 was weird, but she looks definitely more townie now. The thing is her behavior changed so drastically I think she could be culted.
FM Cernd - I can see why he wanted lynch Mazzy, but changed his mind after all. Really wanted to lynch someone. I still see him as Town.
FM Coran - Yesterday I saw nothing that would scream, or even whisper, "Town" in his posts.
FM Dynaheir - ...
FM Eldoth (*) - Appeared during the day, was afk whole night. We voted him to volunteer since that puzzle defeated us.
FM Faldorn (*) - Completely ignored riddle solving during night, instead she focused on herself and wanted us to guess her role. She really isn't subtle with her Druid claim, but her behavior makes sense.
FM Garrick (*) - One of the worst NPCs.
FM Haer-Dalis - Again nice contribution, noticed the pattern in Jan's posts. He suspected Anomen is a Harper and didn't vote him which a bit weird seeing how he was on every other train and how Anomen's behavior was totally scummy.
FM Imoen - GREAT idea for LWs, her solution to the riddle was probably the best I've seen.
FM Jaheira (*) - Contributed decently during the night, focused on Mazzy during the day. Made some good points here and there.
FM Jan - Basically claimed Bhaalspawn during the day, but the one who doesn't kill. Made himself bad target to convert and good target for other Bhaalspawns. Perhaps an Explorer who wants to die for us.
FM Kagain (*) - ARGHHHHHHHH.
FM Keldorn - Really focused on opening the sanctum, has proven himself to be good riddle solver. Unfortunately that makes him good target to convert.
FM Khalid - I still don't like his posts. There are many fillers in them and they all seem to have "look how townie I am" feeling, fencesitting, making sure he voted popular targets. He had some nice moments during the day, but for now he will remain on scummy side.
FM Korgan - Korgan still seems pro town. If he is Duke, he was basically forced to lie at this point. If he is scum, this could be potential slip.
FM Mazzy - Yeah, that's way better. Took some sweet time to claim her role, but Diviner should be quite simply to confirm. This also makes her good target to convert...
FM Minsc (*) - Little less active than usual during night chat, but he still is strong Town read.
FM Montaron (*) - Quite helpful during night, tried different approach when solving the riddle. Town is growing strong in this one.
FM Nalia - Still blank page on her.
FM Quayle - Failed during the day, but Illusionist is really hard to fake as scum.
FM Safana (*) - Tried solving a puzzle, didn't mind being voted to try the riddle (although she wasn't too happy about it). She revealed a clue that looks real, if she only was more active during the day she would be townie green.
FM Sarevok - Little bit too quiet yesterday, but I believe he mentioned that he will be more lurky now. This could be cult excuse though.
FM Shar-Teel - One of the strongest Town reads, nothing more to say.
FM Tiax - Defended Mazzy, voted Alora, but decided to believe her. On the edge of being afk.
FM Valygar - Still looking strong.
FM Viconia - Shared a clue with us, but other than that she is lurking.
FM Xan - Very active at the beginning of the day, when getting town points was very easy to do, later he fell silent.
FM Xzar (*) - Same issue as with Xan, didn't contribute at night, because he felt that riddle is already solved. He sulked for being orange, but I hope it will motivate him more.
FM Yeslick - When he said "Khalid is Town" he sounded really sure. Had some good points during the day, but not so much.
FM Yoshimo - Became little bit too quiet for my taste.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Do you think it should be posted anonymously? I don't really mind if people know who posted these; Why would it matter?

Besides the reason Jaheira stated, it was said that things being quoted from the puzzle chat have to be made anonymous or womthing to that extent. By having it from your PoV it would identify you as the creator of the post but I wasn't sure if this case could have been a loophole because it is self-referential.

FM Faldorn
August 29th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Just saying, that this is the only riddle I have not given and clues about. So "Puzzles" is wrong.

I decided to stand back for this one, because any involvement I would of added would of most highly likely been wrong since I can not do this puzzle. And I wish not post wrong attempts incase I am targeted for attemptive sabatuage. Added to this I saw people who seemed highly skilled in word Jisgsaws I saw no reason to send in terrible attempts.

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
You can justify everything with this logic.

"I'm pretty bad at reading people, so I'm going to only vote with others"
"I'm pretty bad at solving riddles, so I won't send any"
"I have no idea who the scum is, so I'm just going to lurk during day"

I wonder why people think that such behavior is scummy?

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM
You can justify everything with this logic.

"I'm pretty bad at reading people, so I'm going to only vote with others"
"I'm pretty bad at solving riddles, so I won't send any"
"I have no idea who the scum is, so I'm just going to lurk during day"

I wonder why people think that such behavior is scummy?
I have no idea, so I'm not going to answer this.

FM Faldorn
August 29th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hmmm, Normally yeh, perhaps that is Scummy.

But I have only done it for this single riddle, and have stated the reason why. Sorry <3

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
This one riddle is 20% of all possible riddles (1 per night until night 5) and 50% of riddles we had so far. This is 48h of you doing nothing protown. Which is noted.

FM Faldorn
August 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Hmmm Ok. Sorry :(

FM Kivan
August 29th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Oh well.

Good luck everyone. Eldoth deserved it. If he is PR he went Edwin on us.

FM Xzar
August 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Argh I'm getting BSOD! HALP

FM Ferengi
August 29th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Various members of the party took turns in moving the stones to create sentences or parts of sentences that vaguely made sense. Sometimes, they did feel like they were getting closer to the solution of this riddle, but each time they dismissed the lines they produced. Because each time, something just didn't feel quite right.

Deeply frustrated by their inability to work things out, they decided to get some sleep. So they may think on the riddle with a fresh mind in the morrow. Angered, Kivan thrust the torch into Eldoth's hands. The man had done nothing at all to help them solve any of this, so the least he could do was put the torch back where it belonged.

When he did, something unforeseen happened. Eldoth instantly burst into blue flames. He cried out in pain and dropped himself to the damp cavern floor, where he tried to roll around to put the fire out. Alas, his attempts were in vain. The flames appeared unaffected by the moist stone surface. His cries turned to yelps, until finally he could utter nothing more. Seconds after that, his charred remains lay still. The gods denied the self-centered, lazy minstrel a chance to redeem himself.

Unhelpful as the man may have been, the adventurers of the group still felt laden with guilt. They slept poorly that night, but they knew well that they had to move on.