View Full Version : Night 1

Forum Mafia GM
August 23rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Speak, mortals.

FM Aribeth
August 23rd, 2013, 09:05 PM
Hello beautiful ;D

Ways we can use this chat:
1) Communication (obviously), specifically between puzzle chats if we have the opportunity to.
2) Doppelganger code: in the instance there is one in this setup, I would like to be prepared for the possibility that either of us is disguised as.
3) Private speculation about other players: I have a concern or two about some of the events of Day 1, and I'm sure you have some too. Although they can certainly be brought up in tomorrow's day chat, I wouldn't mind having a single person to bounce some theories and concerns off of.

I think we should either claim our actual names or our roles (but not both). I am much more in favor of claiming names as opposed to roles because it allows for simple puzzle-to-puzzle communication (I am in section B, by the way), the immediate use of disguiser codes, and it allows for us to reveal that we were in a chat together tomorrow. However, claiming roles instead of identities allows us to give role advice and possibly set ourselves up for when we eventually roleclaim. Thoughts?

FM Aribeth
August 23rd, 2013, 11:16 PM
By the way, this was our puzzle:

Maybe something was said,
or in deeds it was bred.
A favour returned,
is a payment well-earned.
Let breakers be broken
and the slanderers shamed.
With fury unspoken,
spirits cannot be tamed.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Oh hi! I just saw the PM.
The riddle seems to be easy. I think the solution is "Friendship" or something similar. It's a typical Cespenar riddle which usually are Human conditions.

Anyways my Town role has no need for soft claiming.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM
ok the heartwarder wont see what we write with each other. Inb4 we get both killed tonight thanks to the night chat.

During the day, may choose to unite two players, giving them a night chat the following night.

Any night action directed at one of the united players will target both players instead.

Special:
Heartwarder does not see the night chat
If Harpers try to recruit one of the united players, only their primary target is affected.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM
In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

i think its bodies, souls or corpses

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I am the duke by the way. I would be glad if you could let the heartwarden know it tomorrow in the day chat. So you see i have no need to tell you what my anon account is. Now if you are a towny you could use this opportunity to claim to me.

Your choice.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I am the duke by the way. I would be glad if you could let the heartwarden know it tomorrow in the day chat. So you see i have no need to tell you what my anon account is. Now if you are a towny you could use this opportunity to claim to me.

Your choice.

Actually that works out rather nicely. First off, I am FM Valygar and I am an explorer. The fact that the heartwarden found you on N1 is amazing, because it effectively means that we can: 1) Confirm 2 town roles (you and the heartwarden, as you said), and 2) Set up a system so that a new person can talk to you each night and claim to you (although this does present a major risk with regard to night kills and conversions, although I'm hoping we should be pretty safe tonight). Tomorrow, I will inform the day chat that I was in the heartwarden night chat with the duke and relay any messages you may have.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Update on my puzzle chat:

First off, here is the player's list for my chat:

Player List:
FM Montaron
FM Quayle
FM Keldorn
FM Valygar
FM Cernd
FM Aerie
FM Haer-Dalis
FM Xzar
FM Imoen
FM Tiax
FM Garrick
FM Viconia

There are several proposed solutions flying around: I am supporting 'karma' as one, but 'justice', 'malice', 'avenger', 'vengeance', and 'trust' are out there (some people are asserting that, in the context of Bhaal, the puzzle answer must be sinister in nature, a position which I do not personally hold). I have just suggested your 'friendship' as an answer, and I am awaiting replies. Everyone is apprehensive to suggest an answer because, although some of them appear to fit rather nicely, they are looking for something that just 'seems right' in every possible way and the aforementioned answer just don't seem to cut it.

I will now take a closer look at your puzzle to see if I can offer any insight there. Someone in my puzzle chat suggested that we use puzzle chats as extended, larger heartwarden chats and make use of codes: I think this is viable. Tomorrow, I would like to propose that everyone in a puzzle chat post a series of random things (I typically use the 'random page' feature of wikipedia to do this) that they will post (one on each day) to confirm that they have not been disguised. This way, the only way a person can be disguised as is if they have been in the same night chat as the disguiser on every single night (unlikely), or it will force the hypothetical disguiser to blow his charges early. This, by the way, is what I intend to do in this chat (give you a list of about 10 random things that I will post later). I am being incredibly cautious and paranoid about a disguiser that we don't even know exists, but I'm sure I won't regret it either way (heck, if there is one, this strategy could completely shut them down).

One last thing for now: I know you are probably the duke and all, but I would like you to come up with one random thing of your own to post in day chat when you do eventually reveal (or at least in your will, in the event that you should perish) so that I can confirm that I was in fact talking to the duke. The odds of you NOT being the duke are very low, but I could, in some distant corner of my mind, see an expendable role (such as the assassin) claiming duke, getting people to roleclaim to him, and maybe even collecting some armor or alchemist's fire. I always take precautions for even the must unlikely reality :D

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM
In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

i think its bodies, souls or corpses

Maybe it's just because I haven't had as long to think about your puzzle, but it puzzles me (pun intended). The first 4 lines make me think of a disease of some sort, but I think your answers could very well fit those lines (although "In blood it swum" confuses me). However, the final 4 lines make no sense to me: lines 5 and 6 (which constitute an individual statement/sentence) pretty much just say that "you can find grain on any farm" which doesn't make sense at first (probably a metaphor for something). Finally, the last 2 lines seem to be referencing some alternate existence or reality such as heaven or hell, but could also be referring to a different state of living or thinking. I will need to think about this more...

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
With regards to your puzzle (specifically the use of the words "higher plane" at the end), I can't help but shake the feeling that maybe it is some religious reference of some sort. I know the puzzles aren't supposed to be something you can just Google (or something that you would have to with), but one of the proposed solutions to our puzzle is 'Karma' and, if your puzzle answer also had a religious connotation, I could see a pattern unfolding.

By the way, if you happen to come across a Harper in your future dates, could you please give him my number? Thanks.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I feel alone... Bhaal, will you talk with me until Fenthick returns?

Forum Mafia GM
August 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I feel alone... Bhaal, will you talk with me until Fenthick returns?

How are you doing, beautiful?

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM
How are you doing, beautiful?

Pretty good... I'm a little peeved that Fenthick hasn't bought me a drink yet. Other than that, it's a beautiful night inside of this labyrinth: I think I can see the moon poking out of a little crack, and I found a rat that I named Abither.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Sorry beutiful. I have just not enough time to spare on FM 19 than i usually do. Which is a shame. But your last 3 posts scream town to me which earned you my trust for what it is worth.

I doubt that an assassin would be smart enough to claim Duke in the first place. It's something the disguiser fag would probably do if he is not a pleb.

So yeah like i said there is 0 need for me to come up with any codes. Revealing to you in the day chat has no purpose as well. If the time is right you will just know who i am and all will be good.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I usually don't buy drinks for women. It never worked out for me. Sry.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Also the higher plane thing is DnD related. If you die in the DnD universe your soul goes to a higher plane of the god you had worshipped in your life time.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:32 PM
and if i have he honor to share a night chat with an harper i will surely guide it to your direction.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I consider "Oath" as a solution to your riddle as well. Karma is definetly wrong and shouldn't be picked.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Oh wow so many spelling errors! My english teacher wouldn't be amused.
Anyways Cespenar's riddles are usually doable. Well at least for me :P

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I am wearing sun glasses at night, so i can so i can...

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'll try "oath" as well: we were just discussing out-of-the-box ways of looking at the puzzle, and that actually fits rather nicely (the closest thing we have so far is 'trust'). This is my first experience with Cespanar's riddles, so I am still figuring out how he works.

I am glad that you trust me, because I was thinking and you're going to need to. I just realized (and this was partly my doing as well) that, although you did not tell me your identity, you did tell me your puzzle which would effectively allow me to narrow down the possibilities of your identity to 1/3 of the people (as a cultist, I would also be able to remove my allies from the list). I appreciate you sharing your puzzle: it has been interesting and I look forward to continuing to ponder the solution, but it could potentially jeopardize your (and your heartwarden partner's) safety in the future. Sir, I would advise keeping your puzzle to yourself in the future for your good and ours, unless you feel that you can absolutely trust the other person.

Is there anything in particular (besides the fact that you're a duke) that you would like to communicate through day chat through me as a proxy?

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Not really. I am just a citizen with more votes than others which can auto confirm myself. I don't even keep any notes on everyone so far. My guesses right now aren't better than from anyone else. If i should be culted than so be it. Nothing i could do about it.

I don't care much for the day chat so far. It's full of bs. The Edwin lynch was hilarious. Made me laugh in rl. :D

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Oh and no worries. I am a vet. I know who i can trust and who not. You are clearly trustable. I will lough hard if i jusdt solved 2 riddles on N1.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 07:15 PM
God damn it. Look at all those typos!

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Do you want me to out your identity in my last will?

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Oh and if the Architect should die tonight. Don't reveal my identity. Thanks.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling you will not need to, but if you should perish I think it would be wise to include me in your last will. I don't think the scum would target an explorer (they certainly wouldn't until after a Harper dies) but I think it would be useful information to have out there. Also, that way I can clear myself from the last-second citizen claim group (which almost always consists of lurking town, lazy town, or scum who ran out of roles to claim).

As far as Edwin was concerned, I voted him and disappeared for about 36 hours, but if I was there I actually would've kept my vote on him. Maybe I'm just not as good at reading people as I used to be, but I just couldn't see him as town at all. That brings me to Mazzy... I really don't think Mazzy even has a case to live at this point, so do you think a lynch is viable on him? I would say 'yes' myself, but I am apprehensive after the results of the Edwin lynch.

About something I said in the previous paragraph, I am slightly concerned (or maybe insulted: I'm not sure which) that no one really noticed or commented that I voted up Mazzy, switched to Edwin, talked a bit, and then left for a day and a half. I don't know if people were just tunneling Edwin or if they just ignored me, but I would've FoSed me at least a little bit if I wasn't me. I think the players in this game have a bad case of tunnel vision, and I'm seeing it even in my puzzle chat...

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I think my riddle chat is full with scum. They seem to not even try to solve the riddle. Anyways i was talkinb about the N2 last will. If i die tonight you probably die with me thanks to the Architect mechanic. If you are a bhaal spawn which i don't believe, You would have a hard time the comming days.

So yeah. A last will n1 seems useless to me.

FM Fenthick
August 24th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I think i would prefer to lynch one of the semi active people who pushed for Edwin meta wise.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Of the people in my riddle:

FM Montaron has been FoSed for trying to blend too much in day chat (potential trap bait)
FM Quayle has actually been accused of being the thief for laying low in chat, being accused of being a neutral, and presenting an ambiguous puzzle solution (because he receives a clue regardless of correctness if he is sent).
FM Keldorn has also been accused of being the thief, and is also potential trap bait: however, he is contributing.
FM Valygar is me :D I'm trying to solve the riddle, but I have no definite answers
FM Cernd has been FoSed, but is contributing.
FM Aerie I don't really remember them posting much, but he has at least given input.
FM Haer-Dalis has actively contributed.
FM Xzar started out as potential trap bait, but people seem to have left him alone for now.
FM Imoen is actually talking alot: while I don't always agree with her, she is contributing.
FM Tiax has contributed some.
FM Garrick has yet to post: will be replaced tomorrow I'm guessing.
FM Viconia has posted once tonight: she will also be replaced I'm guessing.

Generally, our puzzle group has assumed a thief-positive stance based on the argument that unlocking the sanctum earlier with the thief's help would be well worth giving the cult 2 possible extra night kills. I also hold this opinion, but I am more skeptical than the others due to diminishing returns as we get closer to day 6. I expect that either Viconia, Quayle, or Keldorn will be sent tonight, and I highly doubt that we will arrive at a solution that we are confident with ('oath' got mixed reviews: people are still on the 'sinister' train which is led by vengeance). Tonight, I will think about your puzzle one last time to see if I can't come up with some amazing answer in my sleep (sadly, I never played DnD so I can't relate to the 'higher plane' thing you mentioned).

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Before I go to bed, though, how has your night chat addressed the "On every croft you find some grain" part? Although none of them 'feel' right, I can at least come up with some things that fit lines 1-4, 7, and 8: the croft part just confused me.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I am beginning to think that the final puzzle will be something that all of the mini puzzles share in common. I don't have much to back up this statement, but all of these one-word answer riddles give me that feeling.

FM Aribeth
August 24th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Before I retire, here's a possible answer: life.

Blood is a symbol for life (lifeblood), especially in war (where spilling blood equates to killing).
The living tend to congregate.
A wheat or grain crop symbolizes and preserves life.
A higher plane symbolizes the afterlife.

I doubt it's right, but it's the best I've got right now. I also don't like that it's a direct antonym of 'death' which is used in the puzzle, but (if you guys don't have better) it's worth a shot...

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Feel free to disregard this post: I just want to be able to see both puzzles at once and on the same page as chat is currently at.

In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Maybe something was said,
or in deeds it was bred.
A favour returned,
is a payment well-earned.
Let breakers be broken
and the slanderers shamed.
With fury unspoken,
spirits cannot be tamed

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Final update for the night: Vicoria is almost guaranteed to be the volunteer, and the answer people are recommending is "revenge". It's expected that she will die (which is why we're sending the 2 post wonder) but we're hoping we will have better luck when we present the puzzle to the general day chat assembly.

I might make it on for a post or two before the night ends, but for now I'll see you later.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Revenge makes sense, also life has a good chance to be right as well.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Still part one of the riddle doesn't really fit with life. It usually does not swim in blood.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 10:29 AM
OK, people are second guessing themselves: the volunteer should be either Viconia (who has several votes), Quayle, or Cernd. The answer will be 'revenge' or 'vengeance', and I don't know if the volunteer will succeed or not.

Tomorrow, the plan is to tell day chat that I was in the heartwarden chat, the Duke says 'hi', and the heartwarden should either put you with another person (for communication and roleclaim purposes) or avoid you entirely to secure your safety. I'm guessing that either Mazzy or Branwen will have died from puzzle traps tonight (other possibilities include Skie and Safara, or however you spell it), so that should shed some light from alignments and feedback from night chats.

I think that's pretty much it for me: I guess I'll see you around in day chat sometime. I look forward to meeting you non-anonymously at some point, and I pray we both survive until then. Hopefully, we can get your puzzle solved in day chat with 30+ players and, with luck, we will have a clue from the 3rd puzzle. Peace out.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
The heartwarden can do as he pleases. I don't think that the Duke role has much purpose in this setup. A h

Lol. I usually die early as town. Cya on the other side :)

The heartwardens ability can be pretty neat with a town protection role who targets one of his guests. Same goes for information gathering roles. I wonder if we can use that...

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 10:39 AM
It seems we are going with "life" for our solution. So you better wont tell them where it came from ;)

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 10:42 AM
don't forget to copy the important points out of this chat into your notes. I doubt we will have access to it any longer when Day 2 has started.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 10:51 AM
don't forget to copy the important points out of this chat into your notes. I doubt we will have access to it any longer when Day 2 has started.

OK: if it ever becomes necessary, we can use your assorted comments about typos as proof that we in fact had this conversation :D

Well, I'm glad I could help (hopefully) with your puzzle: I guess we'll see if it works in a few hours.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I would love to take advantage of town protective roles with the heartwarden, but I feel that there is too much risk involved with the Prophet getting a double-convert in that instance. If someone can find a way to work around that, there is definite potential.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM
the rolecard states that he can't double convert. Would be too strong if the Architect gets culted.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I hope the hosts have a new account for me if i reveal. Hopefully with a Duke Nukem picture :D

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM
the rolecard states that he can't double convert. Would be too strong if the Architect gets culted.

Oh OK, my bad: in that case, I'm all for it. Although I'm sure it will be a few nights until we could establish a system, I'll at least throw the idea out there.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Alrighty then.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Oh wait in fact the cult can double recruit through the hearwarden. It's the harpers who can't nevermind.

If i get picked as a volunteer and i die will FM Aribeth die as well?

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Oh wait in fact the cult can double recruit through the hearwarden. It's the harpers who can't nevermind.

Please no. lol

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM
No, because the heartwarder only duplicates directed night actions. Puzzle traps aren't a night action.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Please no. lol

This would have been so hilarious.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I'm glad government officials have a good sense of humor ^.^ We're only on the first date: no reason to get too attached or anything...

In all seriousness, though, please don't end up doing it: you may not see it yet, but you could potentially be vital to our success (especially because you now have the tools to take roleclaims).

OK, my absolute last update on puzzle chat: Viconia has returned and now everyone is spam voting her. She has yet to propose a solution, but we are urging her to go with "vengeance". We will see how things pan out in the morning (there is talk about her possibly sacrificing herself to take the train off of Quayle, who was the other main target at the time).

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
The problem is backing out now will mark me as a target. My Riddle chat is full with scum.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I can't remember if it was in day chat or in my puzzle chat, but someone theorized that each puzzle chat would contain 2-3 neutrals, 1-2 cultists, and 1 bhaalspawn apiece on N1. Do you have any inactives that just aren't contributing? I have one inactive in mine (Garrick), but most of the other people check out. Maybe you just got like 4 neutrals, 2 cult, a bhaalspawn, and an aggressive harper or something...

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Will this night chat be closed when we hit sub-2 hours or when the night is officially scheduled to end?

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 01:15 PM
1 afk, 2 semi afk, 3 useless.

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Will this night chat be closed when we hit sub-2 hours or when the night is officially scheduled to end?
You will lose access when the night is scheduled to end.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I don't know about the AFK or semi AFKs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the useless ones were neutrals or cult assassins (since they are more expendable than the others and might consider trying to disrupt puzzle solutions).

You will lose access when the night is scheduled to end.

OK then, we still have a bit :P lol

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Already missing me? ;)

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Already missing me? ;)

<3

Bhaal, you may have answered this before already, but just for clarification:

Do we lose access to puzzle chat (or puzzle chat archives) after the night ends?

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM
By the way Fenthick, I have quoted our entire night chat and I plan on sending a PM to Bhaal with it so that I can access this whenever I need to: would you like me to copy it here (this is why I'm asking about puzzle chat, because I need to know if I need to do the same thing)?

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I am quite sure that you will lose your access to the puzzle chat as well with the start on day 2. I see no need to have a hardcopy of our chat. I have the important things in my notes.

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I am quite sure that you will lose your access to the puzzle chat as well with the start on day 2. I see no need to have a hardcopy of our chat. I have the important things in my notes.

In that case, I have some major chat copying to do. Since you're using notes as opposed to a hard copy, if I ever need to communicate something I'll use more generalized references (typos, drinks on the Duke <3, etc) as opposed to specific quotes.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM
No worries i will spot your hints. If i have enough time to play properly. :/

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM
By the way, of all of the people in my puzzle chat, something that I took away is that Haer-Dalis is VERY pro town: if I had to trust my life with any player in the game at this moment, I would choose him. He has actively contributed, done decent analysis of other players, and demonstrated a willingness to volunteer himself for the puzzle in case we wanted to check an iffy solution. I'm picking up an explorer vibe from him, but I would definitely say he's town (if I'm wrong, then touche Haer-Dalis).

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM
My chat is either full with noobs or scum. Really annoying.

FM Fenthick
August 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I am the fucking Duke? Why do i have to solve riddles?

FM Aribeth
August 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Oh dear... I don't know if you will be on to ready this, but I do wish you luck: hopefully we will speak again in this life.