PDA

View Full Version : Remove Self Name Selection

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I feel as if this suggestion deserved it's own topic. I'm sure all of us are aware of the feature where we're able to select our own name. We also know how greatly it actually does impact our games where it can actually ruin them. We could simply have random names generated for us in each game rather than having the ability to select our own. Removing this feature shouldn't give us any dissatisfaction what-so-ever because we don't "need" to select our own name in order to affectively play. So why remove it?

I will list some of the problems with player name examples.

Harassment

#@$# the host - Openly becomes a target and annoys everyone in game, trying to get the host to die. Basically, ruining the game.
[Host Name] is gay - Same as above.
[Host Name] - Player acts as host and tries to make fun of host using the hosts name.

Racism/Segregation

Hitler - Player talks about killing jews.
N$#$@@ - Racist against African Americans.

These players become targets which usually ruin the game. A newb is unaware that they should be taking matters seriously.

Targeted Names

Osama Bin Ladin
George Bush
Barrack Obama

Self explanatory, these players will become targets. Removing name selections would make players play more effectively.

Summary

It's just a waste of time to select your own name. I actually purposely wait for a randomly generated name because it's more affective and it doesn't stand out. We don't need thousands of randomly generated names, just a few. Players should however be able to use their own battle.net names if they like, but they shouldn't be able to create their own. Clearly the majority can't handle it and it's ruining the game for us.

Deolrin
May 12th, 2011, 10:04 AM
No?
Names are awesome. :X

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
No?
Names are awesome. :X

Explain how it contributes to the game because I've explained how it causes problems for the game. If you wanna express yourself, you have rewards for that. This is just going to protect players from harassment, racism, segregation and other bannable offenses which are not acceptable on battle.net.

Deolrin
May 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
It's just awesome to choose a name.
Killing people with notorious names is part of the fun in Mafia.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM
It's just awesome to choose a name.
Killing people with notorious names is part of the fun in Mafia.

While you may takes those names as a joke, some of them offend people. In addition, impersonation is a pretty big offense if you ask me. Therefore this is not part of the game. By the way, this is a Teen rated game, don't forget that.

Protoss
May 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
no, if name selection is removed then i'll get targeted first round all the time

Omgproberush
May 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Names are half of the fun. Is it annoying when 3-4 people make names bashing me, the host, cause they don't like citizens, or are there some offensive names used? Yeah, but it's a game, so whatever.

oops_ur_dead
May 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Mafia is about lying and shit. If you remove names, you're removing the first half of that equation. Then Mafia just becomes shit.

Supersun
May 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
lol name selection shouldn't be removed though I could see some merit in an option that disables it. That way at leas t the host has the option though I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a frequently picked option.

(I'd also propose the option for the host to assign names to the randomized colors but it would be way to hard to implement for such a small feature and way to abused XD. As much as I would love to coordinate Reservoir Dogs names where the blue player is Mr. Blue and so on :P)

Styx
May 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'd just like to open my rebuttal by stating we are not China.

This feature adds a touch of personal flair to the game, often times a touch of humor and general uniqueness to the game.

Just because players name themselves Adolf Hitler and talk about killing Jews doesn't mean removing their ability to name themselves Adolf Hitler will stop them from talking about killing Jews, or anything racist, derogatory or otherwise deconstructive to the spirit of the game. That's the nature of an anonymous environment to begin with and removing the ability to name yourself is not going to fix this.

There's no cure for human stupidity, you can't stop the idiots from being idiots; and that certainly shouldn't mean you punish the rest of us, who use the system to add a touch of unique style to our games, as well.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I guess there is a misunderstanding. You will still get a different name, one that is randomly generated and is not your original battle.net name. You should not however, select your own name for obvious reasons that I've listed above.

I'd just like to open my rebuttal by stating we are not China.

This feature adds a touch of personal flair to the game, often times a touch of humor and general uniqueness to the game.

This is rated T for Teen not M for mature where you're at your own risk.

Just because players name themselves Adolf Hitler and talk about killing Jews doesn't mean removing their ability to name themselves Adolf Hitler will stop them from talking about killing Jews, or anything racist, derogatory or otherwise deconstructive to the spirit of the game. That's the nature of an anonymous environment to begin with and removing the ability to name yourself is not going to fix this.

It will definitely reduce it and having a player named the N word isn't helping when it's listed throughout the whole game. I also don't feel it's right to impersonate anyone or harass anyone by a name. If players want to spam up chat, let them. However, it's much different when it's there listed throughout the whole game.

There's no cure for human stupidity, you can't stop the idiots from being idiots; and that certainly shouldn't mean you punish the rest of us, who use the system to add a touch of unique style to our games, as well.

The cure is having stricter rules, as we already have in our society. Surprised a name really matters to you so much. Does this feature really keep you playing mafia? If so, are you one of those players who are abusing it's powers by annoying and harassing players?

Searix
May 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
This is one of those problems where you'll never win if you try to censor.

What happens when you use Hltler? Other obfuscations for other names? Major gaming sites have spent thousands of man hours editing out names that are offensive, what hope does on person have

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM
This is one of those problems where you'll never win if you try to censor.

What happens when you use Hltler? Other obfuscations for other names? Major gaming sites have spent thousands of man hours editing out names that are offensive, what hope does on person have

If you're read my suggestion the idea is that, "You're unable to select your own name". Meaning that one will be randomly generated and assigned one for you each game. Therefore a player cannot name them self Hltler even if you wanted to, because that feature wouldn't exist. I guess the whole "censoring" part confused you. That was meant as in I censored my own language not that the game should.

Styx
May 12th, 2011, 05:02 PM
This is rated T for Teen not M for mature where you're at your own risk.

Yes, and it also has the ESRB notice excluding online play from this rating. I do not see how this is relevant at all.

It will definitely reduce it and having a player named the N word isn't helping when it's listed throughout the whole game. I also don't feel it's right to impersonate anyone or harass anyone by a name. If players want to spam up chat, let them. However, it's much different when it's there listed throughout the whole game.

Even if I were to agree with you on this point the issue still stands that players who want to be disruptive, crude, "Troll" or otherwise reduce the sincerity of the game are not going to stop. Perhaps not having this displayed on one section of the interface is a good thing, but the rest of the interface is still going to be covered in it from these players. It may reduce it in one specific area but the cost is still punishing all of the players who utilize this feature for the good it brings to the game.

Players can have genuine fun with it without the need to harass players, why do you think people have naming themes? It has a spice of humor and user-defined style instead of shoehorning everyone into the same names and pre-defined style. It increases the users responsiveness to the game by getting them involved and offering them more customization.
People enjoy features such as something as simple or silly as crazy hats and models because people like to able to create their own characters, to have their own style so that when they see the thing that represents them in the game they can say "that's me".
It also has the potential to provide emotional attachments to these characters on the screen because of the creation process, enriching the experience for the gamers. Names are a part of this, a fundamental part of this. This may not seem important to you but to other players it is, your attempting to punish the majority based on a minority who will hardly be affected by this change anyway.

You may suggest that I'm delving too deep into this, and some would agree. But these sorts of additions to games affect people without them even realizing it sometimes, ask any game designer and they'll tell you the exact same thing.

Surprised a name really matters to you so much. Does this feature really keep you playing mafia? If so, are you one of those players who are abusing it's powers by annoying and harassing players?

What exactly are you implying here? I'd suggest you be careful you don't turn in to what you're arguing against, Trenix. This isn't an argument based on personal merit but on the idea you've presented. However, to answer your question no I don't use it to harass players or otherwise be deconstructing to the to spirit of the game.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yes, and it also has the ESRB notice excluding online play from this rating. I do not see how this is relevant at all.

Oh, so why did blizzard suspend the game for a few days for stupid things like "stripper" and "hooker"? Clearly, they do follow it. It's just stating that players may see things otherwise during online play. That doesn't mean that they're not targeting for the same age group atmosphere.

Even if I were to agree with you on this point the issue still stands that players who want to be disruptive, crude, "Troll" or otherwise reduce the sincerity of the game are not going to stop. Perhaps not having this displayed on one section of the interface is a good thing, but the rest of the interface is still going to be covered in it from these players. It may reduce it in one specific area but the cost is still punishing all of the players who utilize this feature for the good it brings to the game.

If someone wants to cause trouble, they will, but it won't be as affective as if it was in someone's name. I also wouldn't have see it constantly on my screen. The good of this feature hardly does anything for the game. You stand out less by having a random generated name, as I have already mentioned. If anything, my suggestion would just bring a better roleplaying atmosphere.

Players can have genuine fun with it without the need to harass players, why do you think people have naming themes? It has a spice of humor and user-defined style instead of shoehorning everyone into the same names and pre-defined style. It increases the users responsiveness to the game by getting them involved and offering them more customization.

The game is not about humor since that's all that you've summed up. You want to express yourself? Then do it with your rewards. Humor is what ruins the game making everyone be retarded and lose. "Guys kill Obama, he's mafia I'm detective." "You're trying to kill the president? Lynch him!" You gotta realize that not all people are children on starcraft, we want to play a serious game once in awhile.

People enjoy features such as something as simple or silly as crazy hats and models because people like to able to create their own characters, to have their own style so that when they see the thing that represents them in the game they can say "that's me".
It also has the potential to provide emotional attachments to these characters on the screen because of the creation process, enriching the experience for the gamers. Names are a part of this, a fundamental part of this. This may not seem important to you but to other players it is, your attempting to punish the majority based on a minority who will hardly be affected by this change anyway.

The minority? You serious? You see this in every single game. There is no customization when someone names themselves like "mom's penis". I don't want to even see such retarded names like that, period. Like even you said, you wanna customize, then you have the ability to do so with rewards. That's why they're there. Being allowed to select your own name just turns this game into a joke.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
lol name selection shouldn't be removed though I could see some merit in an option that disables it. That way at leas t the host has the option though I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a frequently picked option.

(I'd also propose the option for the host to assign names to the randomized colors but it would be way to hard to implement for such a small feature and way to abused XD. As much as I would love to coordinate Reservoir Dogs names where the blue player is Mr. Blue and so on :P)

An option would be nice.

Styx
May 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Oh, so why did blizzard suspend the game for a few days for stupid things like "stripper" and "hooker"? Clearly, they do follow it. It's just stating that players may see things otherwise during online play. That doesn't mean that they're not targeting for the same age group atmosphere.

There’s also a reason why the general user-base is unhappy with this decision, it limits the user in a way that they haven’t been limited before. In previous Blizzard games the user has been able to create whatever maps they desired, this is not the case with Starcraft II and people aren’t happy about it. The same thing goes with Mafia, if you take away a feature people used to enjoy profusely then it’s going to hurt the community.

If someone wants to cause trouble, they will, but it won't be as affective as if it was in someone's name. I also wouldn't have see it constantly on my screen. The good of this feature hardly does anything for the game. You stand out less by having a random generated name, as I have already mentioned. If anything, my suggestion would just bring a better roleplaying atmosphere.

(Summarising this to imply that names have no impact on gameplay (outside of increased chances of being killed) and hence we shouldn’t care – please correct me if I’m wrong in this assumption)
Names don’t have any direct impact on the gameplay, correct, however it greatly accentuates it by having great benefits towards the user’s experience which I already outlined in my previous post. On the note of role-playing which I know many players enjoy in this game, no this suggestion will not bring upon a better role-playing atmosphere but rather borderline destroy it. Actors don’t take up roles they don’t like unless they’re desperate, and they usually have a miserable time doing it if they don’t like the role. Forcing people into role-playing certain names is going to have the exact same effect and destroy a fantastic aspect and way to enjoy this game.

The game is not about humor since that's all that you've summed up. You want to express yourself? Then do it with your rewards. Humor is what ruins the game making everyone be retarded and lose. "Guys kill Obama, he's mafia I'm detective." "You're trying to kill the president? Lynch him!" You gotta realize that not all people are children on starcraft, we want to play a serious game once in awhile.

Who are you to criticize the way others choose to play a game, or to tell them how they should be playing the game? Humor doesn’t ruin the game, humor has never ruined a game (and yes I challenge you to cite a single example where humor has indeed ruined a game). Humor only adds to ones enjoyment of a game. For example, Valve, one of the most popular developers at the moment completely scatters their games with humor. Team Fortress 2? I laughed and laughed and had a fantastic time, and I could still take the game seriously, it was a fantastic blend. Portal? I hope I don’t have to outline how humor helped immensely to make that game as well received as it was. You’re right to say that Mafia is not about humor, it’s about lying and deceit, but that doesn’t mean we should neglect humor or any of the positive aspects it brings to the game.

The minority? You serious? You see this in every single game. There is no customization when someone names themselves like "mom's penis". I don't want to even see such retarded names like that, period. Like even you said, you wanna customize, then you have the ability to do so with rewards. That's why they're there. Being allowed to select your own name just turns this game into a joke.

Trenix, I see what you are saying. I agree that people having names like “moms penis” probably isn’t good for the game. I understand your point of view and agree with most of what you’re saying. But I don’t and simply can’t agree with your solution, not for a second. Your solution does take away from the experience of the game and removing it will hinder the game for a lot of the player base. I get that you don’t want to see this sort of thing and personally I can’t imagine too many players that want to. However, I can imagine a lot of players who want to be able to keep customizing their names and I don’t believe this solution is fair to them. So on these grounds I can’t agree with your solution.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
There’s also a reason why the general user-base is unhappy with this decision, it limits the user in a way that they haven’t been limited before. In previous Blizzard games the user has been able to create whatever maps they desired, this is not the case with Starcraft II and people aren’t happy about it. The same thing goes with Mafia, if you take away a feature people used to enjoy profusely then it’s going to hurt the community.

Blizzard needs users to abide by rules which enforce a friendly environment. Otherwise we have to deal with a bunch of naggy children, which is something I'm currently dealing with in this game. You shouldn't be able to do what you like, because it offends people. In addition, it's a rather ridiculous argument to say that this feature is what makes this game. This suggestion will do more good than harm.

(Summarising this to imply that names have no impact on gameplay (outside of increased chances of being killed) and hence we shouldn’t care – please correct me if I’m wrong in this assumption)
Names don’t have any direct impact on the gameplay, correct, however it greatly accentuates it by having great benefits towards the user’s experience which I already outlined in my previous post. On the note of role-playing which I know many players enjoy in this game, no this suggestion will not bring upon a better role-playing atmosphere but rather borderline destroy it. Actors don’t take up roles they don’t like unless they’re desperate, and they usually have a miserable time doing it if they don’t like the role. Forcing people into role-playing certain names is going to have the exact same effect and destroy a fantastic aspect and way to enjoy this game.

This isn't fact, just opinion. Surprised that you believe a player's name will impact the popularity of mafia. "Oh no! My name is Antonio! Trenix has left the game." Seriously?

Who are you to criticize the way others choose to play a game, or to tell them how they should be playing the game? Humor doesn’t ruin the game, humor has never ruined a game (and yes I challenge you to cite a single example where humor has indeed ruined a game). Humor only adds to ones enjoyment of a game. For example, Valve, one of the most popular developers at the moment completely scatters their games with humor. Team Fortress 2? I laughed and laughed and had a fantastic time, and I could still take the game seriously, it was a fantastic blend. Portal? I hope I don’t have to outline how humor helped immensely to make that game as well received as it was. You’re right to say that Mafia is not about humor, it’s about lying and deceit, but that doesn’t mean we should neglect humor or any of the positive aspects it brings to the game.

Maybe name selection should be an option, but currently I'm forced to deal with this "irritation", otherwise known as humor. But I can almost guarantee that most hosts will not allow self selecting names because they don't want to be harassed and impersonated. By the way, Blizzard does have the right to telling you how to play a game. Don't be so naive.

Your solution does take away from the experience of the game and removing it will hinder the game for a lot of the player base.

Just wow...

Elixir
May 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
You trying to make this game an esport or something? Fine balance to make sure everyone is playing the game correctly without anyone being singled out?

It's not possible.

Who cares what they name themselves. You cant force a player to play any specific way even with a random name. Trolls will be trolls, I like the ability to name myself after cool characters, or The Ace of ? if I want to.

This does nothing but remove a very unique aspect of the map. A randomly generated name is still a different name to the player's ID, which allows for the whole 'anonymous troll' thing to work anyway.

On the topic of the whole offensive names thing, Blizzard doesnt often force renames of people in ladder unless they get repeat reports. It's a non issue.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I've updated the poll to include the removal of name selection as an option. I still am surprised that no one see anything wrong with this. Guess the best thing is to try and file out some reports against these players and see what happens. I'm hoping that they'll be able to track the players with the mafia chat system. If not, then you can see why this is problematic. Sorry, but we don't need bad players ruining our online experience.

Dark.Revenant
May 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I added name selection as an option before you even updated the poll, Trenix. There was an empty spot on the options screen, after all.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I added name selection as an option before you even updated the poll, Trenix. There was an empty spot on the options screen, after all.

Very nice!

Faceless
May 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Despite the fact that this little conversation seems to be over, I feel like I should still share my opinion.

I think it's pretty annoying when people name themselves after obvious profanities or endlessly recycled memes, but trolls will be trolls and there's not much we can do to stop that. There will almost always be a way unless some sort of ridiculous mandatory censoring systems are put in place.

Keep in mind that the ability to name yourself "penis" is just an easier way of spamming "penis". If invalids wanna name themselves "penis", let them. If, for some reason, they aren't able to name themselves "penis", what's stopping them from just spamming "penis" the whole game? You get roughly the same amount of "penis" onscreen at if the guy had named himself "penis". I'm also pretty flattered when someone names themselves "FASELESS CANT HOST OMGWTF".

... and here I was thinking I would never be able to use the word "penis" 7 times in a completely sincere paragraph.

Deolrin
May 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Meh. It's been added. I hope you're happy.
Seriously, if you play a game and you don't like someone's name, get him killed! Lynch him, or kill him as a killing role. That would be the best option. It will punish the player for having an 'offensive name'(my personal opinion on this? QQ moar) AND it will make the so-called 'M rated content' disappear from the game, unless you die.
Are you seriously offended because someone called themselves 'Your Mom's Penis' or 'I Touch Little Children'? Get used to the internet. That's all I can say.

Membrax
May 13th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Free name selection is an important part of Mafia IMO. It's always fun to see what crazy things people will come up with, and it enforces the whole "new identity" theme which is just great.
Unless, you are american (or from Blizzard) I don't see how you can be offended by a simple name in a custom map. Seriously.
Reminds me of the ridiculous role renaming we got with stripper & co due to psychorigid Blizzard mods.

Trenix
May 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Meh. It's been added. I hope you're happy.
Seriously, if you play a game and you don't like someone's name, get him killed! Lynch him, or kill him as a killing role. That would be the best option. It will punish the player for having an 'offensive name'(my personal opinion on this? QQ moar) AND it will make the so-called 'M rated content' disappear from the game, unless you die.
Are you seriously offended because someone called themselves 'Your Mom's Penis' or 'I Touch Little Children'? Get used to the internet. That's all I can say.

Some people never understand the extent of the situations that they get themselves into until their accounts get closed down by Blizzard. That's when they go on the forums to bitch and whine saying Blizzard sucks, when Blizzard was actually the ones who were responsible. The reason the majority dislike my idea is because they are "in a way" being censored. However, this is designed to protect those individuals who choose not to deal with intolerant retards. Why you may hate on Blizzard for banning accounts, in the end you will continue to buy their games. Rules and laws are designed to protect us from harms way. Many of us want the drinking age reduced, but tough shit because the government will do as they please in order to ensure safety.

This discussion has been over. The End.

Procyon
May 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Honestly I think that everyone can agree here that the name-censorship-by-complete-removal idea is a bit extreme, although at the same time it adds a new style of play to the game. I think it's fine as an option that can be set, but certainly more for that new style of play rather than the potential of someone assigning a vulgar name of some sort. Additionally, I don't see how not being able to select a name that "sticks out" would result in the player playing more effectively, unless, of course, the person doesn't know how to play.

Supersun
May 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
You know the irony of loving Plato yet participating in an online forum.