PDA

View Full Version : The Satyr's Gate: night 1

FM Ferengi
August 20th, 2013, 05:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmvzVbHqeKU&list=PL945B1759FCAC5517

The passages of the labyrinth that lies beneath the city of Baldur’s Gate and above the long abandoned Eldercity are silent, and the way is lit only by the occasional torch hanging from the walls. Your group treads with great caution, for it is known that giant spiders hide in the alcoves and many deadly traps have been laid with the intention to keep intruders out.

Who exactly is responsible for all these defense mechanisms is unknown. While you’re certainly not the first to venture through here and possibly not the first to make it to your destination, many a daring thief has died in pursuit of riches lost to time. And not only thieves have fallen. Part of the way through, you come across the dead body of a man clad in a vest of chainmail armour, bearing the seal of the Flaming Fist mercenaries. The man is impaled on a spear protruding from the wall. It may well have been one of the men sent ahead of the expedition by Duke Eltan.

After a long trek through the dungeon, you finally make it to a dead end that doesn’t have you turn around to find another path. Before you stands a gate of stone with the image of a Satyr depicted on it. The gate is sealed however. And when Skie touches it, the walls start to hum and the satyr’s eyes begin to glow. The gate “speaks” to you.

In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Careful not to choose the wrong word for an answer, Skie withdraws her hand from the gate. The light in the eyes goes out and the sound from the walls dies down.

The disturbance you have caused has not gone unnoticed... Several strangers come from another path to join the expedition. Who they are and why they are here, they will not say. But for the moment, the group has more important things on their minds than to question them. A riddle needs solving...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder:
Each group must vote for a “volunteer” to test their solution. Note that someone can be forced to take this position against their will. Whoever gets the most votes will be charged with the task. In case of a tie, the volunteer will be randomised to break the tie.

Voting for a volunteer uses the same formatting as voting to lynch someone, with [ vote ] [ /vote ] tags around their name. A majority doesn’t lock the vote. The tally at the end of the night is used.

Solutions can be proposed by anyone, whether they’re chosen as volunteer or not. A solution is proposed in the puzzle chat using the following format:

-propose solution

insert solution here

Unfortunately for the explorers, all of these locations are heavily trapped. If a wrong answer is given by the volunteer, he has a 66% chance of being struck by a trap and die. Having no proposed solution counts as a wrong answer.

If he is correct though, he will be awarded with a clue in his night feedback PM and the puzzle location will be closed.

Mysterious Strangers:
You may notice there are some people inside the puzzle chat who do not appear on the player list. These are the reserves. They are free to discuss the game with you here and provide ideas for puzzle solutions.

Although they may help, the Mysterious Strangers are not eligible for the "volunteer" position, so you cannot vote them up for it.

Do you find one of the Mysterious Strangers you've encountered in this puzzle location or elsewhere particularly helpful? Show your appreciation by vouching for them!

Do so by sending a PM to Bhaal and/or Cespenar in the following format:

-vouch for [Mysterious Stranger]

You can vouch for one Mysterious Stranger each night. That player does not have to be in your current puzzle chat. A (hidden) cumulative tally will be kept for all votes cast for all nights. The reserve player with the highest number of votes gets first dibs on the next occasion a replacement is needed. If he declines, the second in line gets to take the slot, and so on. If there are multiple openings, the Stranger with the most votes gets to choose his preferred vacant slot to fill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player List:
FM Yoshimo
FM Khalid
FM Yeslick
FM Xan
FM Korgan
FM Anomen
FM Coran
FM Dynaheir
FM Nalia
FM Ajantis
FM Eldoth

FM Khelgar
August 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Is the answer a single word or can it be a string of words?

As I look at it right now, it's a single word.

Forum Mafia GM
August 20th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Is the answer a single word or can it be a string of words?
It must be a single word.

FM Khelgar
August 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM
what happens if we guess wrong?

Forum Mafia GM
August 20th, 2013, 08:42 PM
what happens if we guess wrong?
The volunteer has a chance of dying and the clue will not be found. The puzzle will then return for another night.

FM Khelgar
August 20th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Also is it possible for RP to contain hints?

Forum Mafia GM
August 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Also is it possible for RP to contain hints?
The possibility is not excluded.

FM Khelgar
August 20th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Well I'm getting no sleep tonight and will be busy tomorrow.

FM Qara
August 20th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Attempts at crude translation:

In blood it swum
when there was war.

Found in blood during wars.

Where there is some,
there oft is more.

If some of it are found, it means that there might be more.

On every croft
you find some grain.

On every farm, we can find some grain.

In death aloft;
a higher plane.

After dying, up to heaven.

FM Ammon
August 20th, 2013, 09:43 PM
On every croft / you find some grain

I think this means "[answer] is found on every farm where you find grain"

In death aloft; / a higher plane

Similarly, this probably means when it dies it rises, probably literally.

I have some ideas but I don't know how to make the third couplet fit.

FM Ammon
August 20th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Thought: Grain (wheat) vs. Grain (particle)

FM Qara
August 21st, 2013, 03:47 AM
I think this means "[answer] is found on every farm where you find grain"

Consider "[answer] found on some grains in every croft".

Thought: Grain (wheat) vs. Grain (particle)

Prefer wheat in farms.

FM Qara
August 21st, 2013, 04:42 AM
In blood [answer] swum
when there was war.
Where there is some [answer],
there oft is more [answer].

Straightforward.

On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Describing [answer]?

FM Ferengi
August 21st, 2013, 06:19 AM
Updated the original post with some information that might interest you.

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 06:35 AM
What might also be of interest is that a Satyr is the one who spoke it.

What I was thinking its something of an island or such, maybe a ship?

FM Qara
August 21st, 2013, 06:45 AM
What might also be of interest is that a Satyr is the one who spoke it.

What I was thinking its something of an island or such, maybe a ship?

Elaborate.

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
Post 6, RP can contain hints. If you think about it, a ship is swims on the sea (blood?)

Usually when there is one ship there would be more. The problem then becomes the croft and last one.

For islands i found this tidbit about a croft

most crofts being in the Highlands and Islands area

Its something about an island or the answer itself is island.

Now the questions is how does island fit in the first part. It fits all other 3 as far as I know.

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
How does island fit the part about death?

My thought was Fire.

During war, soldiers have fire in their blood (maybe a stretch)
Fire spreads easily, so when there is some, there is likely more to come.
Don't know how it fits with grain/crofts
When a fire is put out, it becomes smoke, which rises into the air (aloft)

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Plus there are two references to fire in the RP: a torch and the Mercenary's seal, the Flaming Fist

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
Since I can't post in the thread

What is the greatest integer less than (1/log base7 pi) + (1/log base8 pi)?

= Log(Pi)56. Pi^4 > 81, Pi^3 ~= 30. The answer is 3.

#vouchpoints :P

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 01:47 PM
i get some points for point out rb can contain hints, i deserve a point for getting that XD

Are we allowed to give reads on players and say who is scummy and stuff like when when the adventures come?

FM Ferengi
August 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Are we allowed to give reads on players and say who is scummy and stuff like when when the adventures come?
Yes. In fact, you can already start doing so if you want.

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 02:55 PM
Are the reserves also split into different puzzle groups? Do reserves remain in the same puzzle group until the puzzle is solved or do they move each night like the adventurers?

FM Ferengi
August 21st, 2013, 02:58 PM
Are the reserves also split into different puzzle groups?
Yes.

Do reserves remain in the same puzzle group until the puzzle is solved or do they move each night like the adventurers?
They are shuffled like the adventurers.

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Yes.

They are shuffled like the adventurers.

Then Khelgar and Qara, we're probably the only ones in this group right now. Let's solve the puzzle before the adventurers get here :)

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 03:05 PM
I think we already figured it out, I agree the answer is fire. So i got an idea, lets go speculation on role list any guess?

I do find it funny that it seems like half of our posts in here are compiled of one liner questions XD

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 03:32 PM
I think we already figured it out, I agree the answer is fire. So i got an idea, lets go speculation on role list any guess?

I do find it funny that it seems like half of our posts in here are compiled of one liner questions XD

How do you think the part about crofts and grain fits in with fire? I thought that if "grain" meant particle it could be ash, but I still feel like that's a stretch.

As for the role list, I have no clue :P. A few players I'm keeping an eye on, though I'm going to wait to see who joins our room tonight to say anything about particular players

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM
Also no fair Anomen used a calculator to solve the math problem!

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 03:54 PM
It's not the usall croft I think

croft

A croft is a fenced or enclosed area of land, usually small and arable with a crofter's dwelling thereon.
A crofter is one who has tenure and use of the land, typically as a tenant farmer.

if we put it into the context of fire it would be on every fire you find some ash. Also notice how the insignia is a Satyr, if its not fire it could be something to do with mountains?

satyr

Mythology Greek mythology
Grouping Legendary creature
Sub-grouping Hybrid
Country Greece
Habitat Woodland and mountains
Similar creatures Minotaur, Centaur, Harpy

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM
It's not the usall croft I think

croft

if we put it into the context of fire it would be on every fire you find some ash. Also notice how the insignia is a Satyr, if its not fire it could be something to do with mountains?

satyr

Yep, that makes sense to me. Good job team :)

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
So then, anyone up for any games while we wait? i was looking through the archives of older games and saw there was a watermelon one. You guys game? We could alternate who does it each round. and if host would like to join in on the fun he may.

FM Ammon
August 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Watermelon? link us!

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 05:36 PM
found it, it was used in FM 3 and 13

Melon Roulette
Players: 3 we will use 2 due to only 3 of us
Winner: gets to host it next (uless doesnt want to)
Loser: plays again

3 players will be added to a night chat with the game, they may converse with each other as long as they are still alive (Winner and Runner-up may continue conversing until day). The FM Game Master will advise when the a player has died.

Here we have 12 melons, most are just your everyday regular melons, however in 4 of them there are dangerous drugs that cause various effects, and in one particular melon there is deadly poison.
We will random.org the numbers 1 to 12. The top 5 results will correspond to the possible drug effects.

Pick 1 or more melon numbers to eat by typing -eat #, #, etc (where # is the melon numbers), then I tell you what just happened to you. When you eat a melon, you put it aside, the melon remains intact but others cannot choose to eat from it unless the melons are reshuffled from fear. So if you eat from 3 melons then the other 2 players must eat a different melon from the ones you ate.

Possible drug effects:
1. Hunger - You must eat another melon.
2. Fear - See melons as vile demons, kicking them and reshuffling them into diffrent positions.
3. Rage - Force the player after you to eat 1 melon more than the amount you ate.
4. High - Allow the player after you to skip eating a melon.
5. Poison - Game Over and You die!

Due to the host dependency on informing you the drug effects, we ask that the other players not eat any melons until we tell them that its their turn.

i took out a lot of little bits of it because it only retained to that FM

but that would be the general sense of it.

FM Qara
August 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM
Organize games in another thread?

FM Khelgar
August 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM
Would if I could. This is more of a thing for us till nightfall. when nightfall comes i could have host remove the posts of us just filling it up full of picking numbers and stuff

would that be acceptable host?

FM Grobnar
August 22nd, 2013, 01:12 AM
Well, then who is going to risk his life to solve this riddle?

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 02:02 AM
Well, then who is going to risk his life to solve this riddle?

Not our concern. Depends on those adventurers. Riddle answering and life risking helps scum hunting.

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 03:14 AM
Avatars personify our innermost desires!

The quality of in-game avatars are substandard. Scum trying to hide mayhaps.

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Avatars personify our innermost desires!

The quality of in-game avatars are substandard. Scum trying to hide mayhaps.

Referring to player-chosen avatars, not preset ones.

FM Ferengi
August 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
would that be acceptable host?
Only if you have absolutely nothing to say about the FM anymore for the remainder of the day. It would be too much work to have to fish out the posts that need removing and those that don't.

Referring to player-chosen avatars, not preset ones.
Good. I was about to whack you with a relatively big stick!

FM Khelgar
August 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
If the players are up to it I will start the game. But if players want to discuss the game or anything I will put it off. I didn't want this room to be a clutter full of us playing games with a few post of discussion. If the players here want to talk about the game I'm all ears but I'm not going to sit here and babber out thoughts unless I have someone to talk to about it. If I'm going to relay thoughts it will be with the hosts unless the players here are willing to talk with me.

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 09:08 PM
If the players are up to it I will start the game. But if players want to discuss the game or anything I will put it off. I didn't want this room to be a clutter full of us playing games with a few post of discussion. If the players here want to talk about the game I'm all ears but I'm not going to sit here and babber out thoughts unless I have someone to talk to about it. If I'm going to relay thoughts it will be with the hosts unless the players here are willing to talk with me.

You could list out other potential answers to the riddle.

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
Some adventurers are absent. If you are lucky you might be able to join as a replacement by nightfall!

FM Khelgar
August 22nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
I do want to sub in, but I am already confident in the answer we have chosen. Since it seems like nightfall will be soon I will skip on the game

FM Ammon
August 22nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah I'm cool to skip on the game for now. Maybe if we meet in another puzzle room tomorrow and we solve it just as fast :)

Unfortunately I think players have to miss two days (doesn't have to be consecutive) to be replaced, so probably no replacements tonight. But we can hope!

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Overconfidence leads to downfall. Useless your answers perfectly match all four couplets, do think of more.

You can scum hunt too. By reading the day chat.

I'm in for games though...

FM Ammon
August 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
Overconfidence leads to downfall. Useless your answers perfectly match all four couplets, do think of more.

You can scum hunt too. By reading the day chat.

I'm in for games though...

I've been trying, but I just can't think of anything that fits as well as fire. Here's how I perceive the riddle couplet-by-couplet:

1st couplet: Probably metaphorical, because nothing biologically swims in blood specially during a war
2nd couplet: Either an uncountable quantity or found in groups
3rd couplet: Either literal ([answer] is found wherever there are farms with grain) or setup for an analogy (croft:grain::[answer]:[something related to answer])
4th couplet: The language is too vague, likely metaphorical speech referring to something literal

Khelgar pointed out the possibility that the third couplet could be an analogy, and I think that's more in the spirit of riddles than my initial interpretation. Combined, this set of constraints is pretty restricting, so from the fact that fire fits all of them, it seems like it ought to be the right answer.

FM Qara
August 22nd, 2013, 11:37 PM
References.

"Speak your mind, my friend," spoke Sir Bastion with as much respect as he would have for any man of greater stature.

"Well," continues the acolyte, his courage growing thanks to his leader, "I found this book back at the library. The cover has three keys imprinted on it, see? The pages were empty, which seemed strange but I decided to take it along to see if some sort of invisible ink was used. But now... well, see for yourself!"

The man held up the book for all to see. The first page was labelled Bronze, and a short rhyme was written below.

Every man on a quest
Looks at me with delight.
When it’s their time to rest,
I’ll be their slave at night.
I may beg them to feed me,
So they’ll give me a chance.
For as long as they need me,
I’ll continue to dance.

"Tyr be praised, a sign!" cheered the Cleric.

"Well done, companion!" the Paladin congratulated him. "Surely, this shall lead us to a clue that will aid us in our quest."

Answer: Fire

After the group disposed of the corpse of the pathetic thief, the Diviner informed the others that a new riddle had appeared in the book.

It brings with mighty hope,
yet may cause others pain.
Makes heroes climb the steepest slope,
until they fall again.
It comes to some when end is nigh,
while others lose it then.
And when we have to say goodbye,
it tests the hearts of men.

Answer: Faith

FM Grobnar
August 23rd, 2013, 01:29 AM
Are you talking about those riddles from the M-FM where we had a Banshee?

FM Grobnar
August 23rd, 2013, 01:45 AM
But I have to agree, the answer to the first riddle in that game was "fire". So I doubt that the same answer will apply here. I'm not that smart, but I know someone who is. Maybe I'll be able to help you with some insight later.

Seems like there are currently four of us:

FM Grobnar
FM Ammon
FM Qara
FM Khelgar

If we don't give out a solution soon, then one of us will die anyway. We need to pick up a volunteer first.

FM Qara
August 23rd, 2013, 02:43 AM
If we don't give out a solution soon, then one of us will die anyway. We need to pick up a volunteer first.

We are just tagging along the adventurers. We will never die or get converted.

You could try being an MVP as a reserve if you are up to it. Can interact with adventurers at night.

FM Qara
August 23rd, 2013, 02:45 AM
Are you talking about those riddles from the M-FM where we had a Banshee?

Missing the riddle for gold key. Image not accessible. Answer Memories.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
I feel like the host isn't going to try to change too much because not many people knew about that one. If its not fire then what do you think it is? I could spit out a bunch of words that might fit or gibberish. But as far as I'm concerned if I'm just going to sit here alone to figure it out, it will serve me no point. I have been paying attention to the day chat. I do think I have figured out the cleric. But that is a thing for another day. I'm also guessing each room will have at least one cult and one harper maybe one explorer (citizen) and then a bunch of more randoms. When they come in I will be more than happy to give them some discussion. But if the reserves here are just going to lurk and not talk with me about it then I have nothing to say in here.

FM Grobnar
August 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
How about this answer? "Hero", or "Heroism".

I don't have any idea how this could match with the first couplet, though. Do you have any other insight?

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
I was also considering it to be a plague, or maybe desease. But I feel like the rp has clues. Knowing the hosts, and how they said they would do things (ie lurky prs would be hinted thought rp) it makes me inclined that each rp (or about 90% of it) would have some sort of hint.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
The problem with disease or plague, is that it doesn't exactly fit the rp. Again I keep referring back to the rp but for the host to really put this much effort into rp (especially since its a big fm) It would be nice if the rp was all flavor but the host would also try to make players think about the rp and not just ignore it.

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Perhaps "Gold." It's a reason for war and the color of grain, though I can't think of how it'd fit the death part.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Perhaps "Gold." It's a reason for war and the color of grain, though I can't think of how it'd fit the death part.

gold=greed=corruption that can lead to a downfall?

FM Grobnar
August 23rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
So we can talk with the rest of then at night? Their help will be certainly acceptable.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
So we can talk with the rest of then at night? Their help will be certainly acceptable.

Yes however we are reserves so we can formulate opinions/give advice/ect with them. we are helping them they are not necessarily helping us

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
This Edwin guy has to be a Lunatic. No one's this bad at defending themselves.

FM Nalia
August 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
I'm so confused... lol

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
WELCOME ADVENTURERS

FM Yoshimo
August 23rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
I'm so confused... lol

We didn't have access to this thread til now.

All the posts so far have been made by Reserves who don't have real accounts - they can only post in the puzzle chats to help us.

I'm glad to have your help guys, but I don't think any of the solutions suggested so far are correct.

I'm not convinced that the riddle answer should have to fit the RP. I also expect it to be a word that exists in our regular dictionary.

FM Yoshimo
August 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
My initial thought was: INFECTION.

It doesn't fit the second half of the riddle though, but that's the area my head is pointing in.

Maybe we could try brainstorming categories of things for the first line:

"in blood it swum"
- ?swords/knives?, ?infections/diseases?, ?some kind of mass killer?, ?parasite?, "?alcohol/oxygen/some soluble substance?"

FM Khalid
August 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Well, the reserves have been quite busy in here.

I feel like fire is a decent guess but I don't think it quite fits.

The couplet on grain/croft sounds to me like there is at least a tiny part in any enclosed piece of land - maybe ash, but I think there's probably a better answer.

The last line throws me off a bit too - a higher plane sounds to me like it will fit really well with the correct answer, but not have the same feel with a wrong guess. Smoke from a doused fire doesn't quite fit "a higher plane" in my opinion.

FM Yeslick
August 23rd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Since I can't post in the thread

= Log(Pi)56. Pi^4 > 81, Pi^3 ~= 30. The answer is 3.

#vouchpoints :P

I haven't even read the rest of the posts yet. But you get my fucking vouch. All of my vouches.

FM Yeslick
August 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
My initial thought was: INFECTION.

It doesn't fit the second half of the riddle though, but that's the area my head is pointing in.

Maybe we could try brainstorming categories of things for the first line:

"in blood it swum"
- ?swords/knives?, ?infections/diseases?, ?some kind of mass killer?, ?parasite?, "?alcohol/oxygen/some soluble substance?"

My first thought was Pestilence. I like you.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Well it seems like the idea of fire has been thrown out the window. I guess I will just hang around and watch because I got nothing then. All I'm gonna say is that fire is most likely gonna fit this. Knowing the host and how they said RP will out lurky tpr, i wouldn't doubt if they had rp be the main clues. I mean if you think about it, syter=war, so i figure it might have to do with war, in war there comes flames, if its not fire it could be war, battles, I feel like if the host were to do riddle and things like this and have that much rp before a riddle that the rp itself would have a hint or at least hint towards it. But since I'm only a reserve. I will kinda give my thoughts and suggestions and see what others say and give thoughts and stuff on that.

FM Yeslick
August 23rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
God damn syllabic verses. All lines are 4 syllables, maybe that means something?

The third couplet suggests to me that the answer to the riddle is natural, rather than manmade, which is why I'm a little reluctant about fire.

FM Yeslick
August 23rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Honor?

In blood it swum
when there was war.
(Bushido is a great example of honor in war)

Where there is some,
there oft is more.
(It's absolute. You are a person of honor or you aren't.)

On every croft
you find some grain.
(Natural)

In death aloft;
a higher plane.
(Valhalla for warriors who died with honor and glory)

FM Yoshimo
August 23rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Well it seems like the idea of fire has been thrown out the window. I guess I will just hang around and watch because I got nothing then. All I'm gonna say is that fire is most likely gonna fit this. Knowing the host and how they said RP will out lurky tpr, i wouldn't doubt if they had rp be the main clues. I mean if you think about it, syter=war, so i figure it might have to do with war, in war there comes flames, if its not fire it could be war, battles, I feel like if the host were to do riddle and things like this and have that much rp before a riddle that the rp itself would have a hint or at least hint towards it. But since I'm only a reserve. I will kinda give my thoughts and suggestions and see what others say and give thoughts and stuff on that.

I feel like when we find the right clue we will have a magic UH-HUH moment because it will fit every line of the riddle perfectly. That is almost always the case with this style of riddle.

Fire fits a few of the lines, but then there are others where it's a bit of a stretch to make it fit. It's a very good try but I don't think it's the answer.

FM Yoshimo
August 23rd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Honor?

In blood it swum
when there was war.
(Bushido is a great example of honor in war)

Where there is some,
there oft is more.
(It's absolute. You are a person of honor or you aren't.)

On every croft
you find some grain.
(Natural)

In death aloft;
a higher plane.
(Valhalla for warriors who died with honor and glory)

This is an interesting idea and a good thought.

But my problem with this is that solutions like BRAVERY or COURAGE would seem to suit equally well, and we can only choose one.

FM Yeslick
August 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
This is an interesting idea and a good thought.

But my problem with this is that solutions like BRAVERY or COURAGE would seem to suit equally well, and we can only choose one.

Right. I'm confident the answer has to do with a sort of virtue.

FM Khalid
August 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
I'm getting a feel of a mix between hungering for blood/honor, like what a warrior would have going into a battle. Is there a word that comes to mind for that, the tunnel vision someone gets when in a battle, like when they "see red" ? I'm thinking it sounds like a personality trait or something (such as honor but not quite), hence the finding a grain on every croft - every person has a bit.

FM Khalid
August 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
You ninja'd me, but yeah I concur with the idea that it's a virtue of some sort, probably an honorable one like the Valhalla comment. And related to war.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
is it possible that a word similar to the answer to the riddle be suffice? ie bravery and courage due to such similarities? or is the word more "its this word and only this word"

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Hm, it's quite possible I'm wrong but I think the virtue thing is the wrong track.

"A higher plane" seems to convey something abstract like that, but "in death, aloft" doesn't, at least to me. "Aloft" sounds like a very literal term to me, one that wouldn't be used in conjunction with something abstract like a virtue. You might say the word was chosen to rhyme, but the other word is "croft," which is a pretty obscure term for a farm - it makes me think that croft was chosen to rhyme with aloft, not the other way around.

You're probably right, fire doesn't quite fit with everything as well as it ought, but I still think it's something material rather than abstract.

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 09:02 PM
I haven't even read the rest of the posts yet. But you get my fucking vouch. All of my vouches.

Much obliged!

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Do we get a list of players present at a puzzle location?

Y'know, just to watch for lurkers.

Forum Mafia GM
August 23rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
Do we get a list of players present at a puzzle location?

Y'know, just to watch for lurkers.

My Butler left it in the first statement of this discussion.

FM Yoshimo
August 23rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
I'm getting a feel of a mix between hungering for blood/honor, like what a warrior would have going into a battle. Is there a word that comes to mind for that, the tunnel vision someone gets when in a battle, like when they "see red" ? I'm thinking it sounds like a personality trait or something (such as honor but not quite), hence the finding a grain on every croft - every person has a bit.

I think this word is bloodlust, but blood is used in the first couplet so it's probably unlikely to be the solution. Good thought though.

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm here.

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
I actually have no idea what the answer could be...
After reading through all your posts, I feel like we're still missing something...
I'm afraid that I won't be much useful on that one but I'll try my best.

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Hatred?

In blood it swum
when there was war.

Something must have started the war, which bring hatred to everyone.

Where there is some,
there oft is more.

When there is hatred, it bring more hatred .

On every croft
you find some grain.

Everyone bear some hatred. There's a dark side to everyone of us.

In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Doesn't work here I think...

Well, at least I tried... I'll keep searching for an answer.

FM Khelgar
August 23rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'll make a list of words everyone has thought of sometime in the morn if I get that chance. If not I might have to do it in afternoon.

Ill see if i can make where they don't fit as well unless someone would like to help me with that.

FM Ammon
August 23rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
My Butler left it in the first statement of this discussion.

My mistake! Forgot to even check there.

Two new almost-but-not-quite answers:

1) A scythe - can cut people (swims in blood), found on farms (on every croft), Death carries one (in death aloft). Doesn't fit couplet 2 though.
2) A seed - Usually found in groups, definitely found on farms, and when a seed goes to it's next phase (dies) it goes to a "higher plane", i.e. above ground.

But these probably aren't the answers o__o

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
My mistake! Forgot to even check there.

Two new almost-but-not-quite answers:

1) A scythe - can cut people (swims in blood), found on farms (on every croft), Death carries one (in death aloft). Doesn't fit couplet 2 though.
2) A seed - Usually found in groups, definitely found on farms, and when a seed goes to it's next phase (dies) it goes to a "higher plane", i.e. above ground.

But these probably aren't the answers o__o

I feel like we'll get a lot of "almost answer" :S

FM Khalid
August 23rd, 2013, 10:10 PM
I feel like "love" works kinda sorta, the same way "hatred" does also.

What's throwing me off is the final phrase makes it sound like the answer either is elevated or elevates upon death. Emotions seem to work for the middle two couplets simply because they spread easily and are always present, at least a tiny bit.

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
I feel like "love" works kinda sorta, the same way "hatred" does also.

What's throwing me off is the final phrase makes it sound like the answer either is elevated or elevates upon death. Emotions seem to work for the middle two couplets simply because they spread easily and are always present, at least a tiny bit.

What if it aggravate upon death?

Exemple:(Hatred again :P)

Human "A" kill Human "B".
The son of Human "A" want revenge (hatred aggravate, reach another plane, another level)
The son of Human "A" kill Human "B"
The son of Human "B" seek revenge (Yet another level of hatred)

Well, you get the point.

FM Qara
August 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm the Napping Sorceress.

My gift to dear explorers:

Answers
In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Chicken
X
O
O
O

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM
I don't wanna be close-minded but with the precision I made earlier, HATRED is the best one so far and fits all categories.

But we shall search some more for a better answer.

Oh and.... why chicken?

FM Coran
August 23rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
Answers
In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Chicken
X
O
O
O

Hatred
O
O
O
O

Human?
O
O
?
O

Last post for today, I feel like I'm alone here right now.

FM Skie
August 24th, 2013, 01:59 AM
whats to stop another group from voting someone in this group, but not on the 'volunteer list'

FM Qara
August 24th, 2013, 02:23 AM
whats to stop another group from voting someone in this group, but not on the 'volunteer list'

Hi straggler!

FM Skie
August 24th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Hi straggler!

hi.
my guesses before reading everyone's posts were honor and greed.

FM Grobnar
August 24th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Oh yeah, I got it now.

The ones who can volunteer are not us four, but active players. So it's up to you, adventurers to solve this puzzle as well, because if you do not, then there is a 66% chance that one of you will die. So hurry up and use that gray matter of yours!

FM Ferengi
August 24th, 2013, 05:33 AM
is it possible that a word similar to the answer to the riddle be suffice? ie bravery and courage due to such similarities? or is the word more "its this word and only this word"
Some synonyms would be accepted, but only if they convey the same meaning as the one that's desired by the puzzle in a strict sense. For instance if there was a riddle that said "something you can sit on that has legs," then "chair" and "bench" would be correct, but "seat" would not. If another line in the riddle said "with space for only one," then bench would no longer be correct either.

Since we're not using an automated day/night ending, a vote for a volunteer in another puzzle room will have no effect because we'll simply ignore it.

FM Anomen
August 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Fish float to the top when they die.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Korgan thinks its one word. Korgan thinks only "soul"s go to higher planes in the DnD universe.

But Korgan is not very smart with int 9.

FM Ammon
August 24th, 2013, 12:05 PM
A leaf. Fits everything perfectly except for the first part...

FM Ammon
August 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Maybe we're looking at the first part wrong... "In blood" could also be a reference to genetics.

FM Ammon
August 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM
or family rather. Genetics is a little narrow

FM Yeslick
August 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I don't think it has to do with genetics. Hereditary traits don't arise out of nowhere in times of war

FM Yoshimo
August 24th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Hmmm we're in quite the pickle.

I suppose we should also be thinking about we're going send.

In my opinion it should be one of the no-shows.

FM Yoshimo
August 24th, 2013, 04:04 PM
who*

FM Yoshimo
August 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Along the path of honor, hated, etc, I just thought of fear. These abstract feelings seem to all fit reasonably well which may suggest it is none of them.

FM Yeslick
August 24th, 2013, 05:09 PM
100% no-shows are risky. They have the same chance of being Town.
I'd go with Nalia for not even attempting to contribute in both day and night sessions.

FM Nalia

I'm going ice skating tonight lads. Be back in a few hours.

For the riddle, our biggest hint might be the second couplet. "Where there is some, there oft is more". It's wide, but seeing as how most of our answers have to stretch on this point, I'm sure the answer will fit this the most perfectly.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 06:15 PM
FM Nalia

FM Khelgar
August 24th, 2013, 06:35 PM
korgan it is one word i asked earlier. I'm gonna kinda glance through the thread and see if i can compile a list of words everyone has thought of

FM Khelgar
August 24th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I've been trying, but I just can't think of anything that fits as well as fire. Here's how I perceive the riddle couplet-by-couplet:

1st couplet: Probably metaphorical, because nothing biologically swims in blood specially during a war
2nd couplet: Either an uncountable quantity or found in groups
3rd couplet: Either literal ([answer] is found wherever there are farms with grain) or setup for an analogy (croft:grain::[answer]:[something related to answer])
4th couplet: The language is too vague, likely metaphorical speech referring to something literal

Khelgar pointed out the possibility that the third couplet could be an analogy, and I think that's more in the spirit of riddles than my initial interpretation. Combined, this set of constraints is pretty restricting, so from the fact that fire fits all of them, it seems like it ought to be the right answer.

God damn syllabic verses. All lines are 4 syllables, maybe that means something?

The third couplet suggests to me that the answer to the riddle is natural, rather than manmade, which is why I'm a little reluctant about fire.

Right. I'm confident the answer has to do with a sort of virtue.

100% no-shows are risky. They have the same chance of being Town.
I'd go with Nalia for not even attempting to contribute in both day and night sessions.

FM Nalia

I'm going ice skating tonight lads. Be back in a few hours.

For the riddle, our biggest hint might be the second couplet. "Where there is some, there oft is more". It's wide, but seeing as how most of our answers have to stretch on this point, I'm sure the answer will fit this the most perfectly.

I left these quote in because these seem to be what I think are most important, there is also post 48 that had quotes in it about old riddles.

Now for the list of words that i have seen suggested and notes:
fire=has 2 references in rp (but many disregard the rp)
islands (croft related)
mountains/woodlands (syter)
human
hero/heroism
plague/disease
gold
infection
pestilence
honor/bravery/courage
bloodlust
hatred
scythe
seed
love
chicken
honor/greed
fish
soul
leaf

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Korgan knows that higher planes in the DnD universe are related to the afterlife. 90% of the suggested answers are wrong.

FM Khelgar
August 24th, 2013, 07:52 PM
grave or graveyard possibly?

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Korgan thinks this riddle is clearly related to humans and not to things. Usually battles are fought about causes and believes. There are plenty of them. So people keep dying for it. I think the solution to the riddle is a mental condition of people who die for it to get access to the afterlife.

"Believes" or "Causes" are possible solutions which you should think about.

Graveyards don't swim in blood.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 08:22 PM
-propose soul

Korgan thinks voting people who are clearly modkill fodder won't help us.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Korgan still waits for somebody who volunteers.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 08:27 PM
"corpses" Anyone? Heck even "Arrows" could be possible.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Korgan thinks the reserves should think harder if they want to join the game.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Korgan wants to know who the reserves think are scum.

FM Ammon
August 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM
There is one player I've been keeping my eye on. (s)he's in this room.

I think Korgan's answer is as much or more of a stretch as the other answers that have been suggested.

FM Xan
August 24th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Xan is just now reading and is exhausted.

First thought was something like disease, plague, or bacteria, but all of those are too similar.

Then Xan thought of life and faith. I think those are the best options. Xan'll be back for more in depth reading tomorrow.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Korgan thinks he has to suicide if the answer to the riddle should be really fire.

FM Grobnar
August 24th, 2013, 10:20 PM
You're quite an interesting person, Korgan. I'm sure I knew a person with exactly same behavior in a different game. Just gonna remember who that was...

I'm NOT sure that corrent answer is soul, as I doubt that it can match with the second couplet.

FM Korgan
August 24th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Korgan is Korgan.

Korgan thinks you are right

-propose good intentions

Korgan thinks most of the non reserve players don't even try to solve the riddle. Korgan is dissapoint!

FM Coran
August 24th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Korgan is Korgan.

-propose good intentions

Korgan thinks most of the non reserve players don't even try to solve the riddle. Korgan is dissapoint!

They tried before we had access to the puzzle chat.

Their idea were correct... like everybody right now.

Korgan thinks he has to suicide if the answer to the riddle should be really fire.

Try it. Volunteer and try it.

FM Ammon
August 24th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Korgan is Korgan.

-propose good intentions

I like this answer better than most of the other abstract ideas/virtues! Unfortunately, the answer is a single word :/

FM Grobnar
August 25th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I like this answer better than most of the other abstract ideas/virtues! Unfortunately, the answer is a single word :/

So then, what would be the synonym of the phrase "good intentions", in a single word?

FM Yoshimo
August 25th, 2013, 12:41 AM
So then, what would be the synonym of the phrase "good intentions", in a single word?

Altruism, benevolence

FM Yoshimo
August 25th, 2013, 12:42 AM
It doesn't fit to me though

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 04:43 AM
REMINDER: Deadline to send in night actions is 2 hours before night ending.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Korgan considers "life" as a solution to the riddle as well.

FM Qara
August 25th, 2013, 07:10 AM
So many lurkers. If most of the explorers are intending to resurrect Bhaal, I won't stand in their way.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Xan returns. Most of you are looking at this couplet by couplet. Xan disagrees with that method of thought. The poem is one poem, not four couplets. Yes, it has to fit all four couplets, but fitting the poem as a whole is honestly more important. Also, due to the crapshoot nature of punctuation in poetry, some couplets may go together.

In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;
a higher plane.

Example: Xan's 90% sure that "You find some grain in death aloft".

Also, the semicolon. Semicolons separate two complete thoughts. Xan first believed this equated "death aloft" to the "higher plane".

But what if:

In blood it swum
when there was war.
Where there is some,
there oft is more.
On every croft
you find some grain.
In death aloft;

a higher plane.

"A higher plane" describes THE ENTIRE poem, not just Line 7. I'm trying to figure out something that fits that. Heaven kinda comes to mind, but not entirely.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 07:18 AM
oh oh oh

Plane
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up plane in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Plane or planes primarily refer to:
Airplane or aeroplane
Plane (geometry)

Physical objects

Airplane or aeroplane
Airliner, an airplane for transporting passengers and cargo
Fixed-wing aircraft
Plane (tool), a woodworking tool to smooth surfaces
Platanus, a genus of trees with the common name "plane"
Acer pseudoplatanus, a tree species sometimes called "plane"
Planes (genus), a genus of crabs in the family Grapsidae called "weed crabs"
Plane (river), a river in eastern Germany
Plane (wherry), a Norfolk wherry in service 1931–49

Concepts

Plane (geometry), abstract surface which has infinite width and length, zero thickness, and zero curvature.
Lattice plane, a plane in a crystal structure
Clipping plane, in computer graphics
Plane (esotericism), an emergent state, level or region of reality
Physical plane, the physical universe in emanationist metaphysics
Plane of immanence, a philosophical concept
Planing (sailing), a method of travelling quickly across water by using speed to lift the hull out of the water
Plane sailing, an approximation used in navigation
Plane (Unicode), in Unicode, a big range of 65,536 (=216) code points
Plane (Dungeons & Dragons), a distinct location in the multiverse in Dungeons & Dragons

Other

Planē (mythology)
Planes (film), a 2013 film

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM
oh oh oh

Plane
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up plane in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Plane or planes primarily refer to:
Airplane or aeroplane Probably not
Plane (geometry) Maybe

Physical objects

Airplane or aeroplane Nope
Airliner, an airplane for transporting passengers and cargo Nope
Fixed-wing aircraft Nope
Plane (tool), a woodworking tool to smooth surfaces Unlikely
Platanus, a genus of trees with the common name "plane" Probably not
Acer pseudoplatanus, a tree species sometimes called "plane" Probably not
Planes (genus), a genus of crabs in the family Grapsidae called "weed crabs" Possible
Plane (river), a river in eastern Germany Nope
Plane (wherry), a Norfolk wherry in service 1931–49 Nope

Concepts

Plane (geometry), abstract surface which has infinite width and length, zero thickness, and zero curvature. Likely
Lattice plane, a plane in a crystal structure Likely
Clipping plane, in computer graphics Nope
Plane (esotericism), an emergent state, level or region of reality Very likely
Physical plane, the physical universe in emanationist metaphysics Very likely
Plane of immanence, a philosophical concept Likely
Planing (sailing), a method of travelling quickly across water by using speed to lift the hull out of the water Nope
Plane sailing, an approximation used in navigation Nope
Plane (Unicode), in Unicode, a big range of 65,536 (=216) code points Nope
Plane (Dungeons & Dragons), a distinct location in the multiverse in Dungeons & Dragons Very likely and an interesting direction of investigation.

Other

Planē (mythology) Greek Goddess of Error. The only thing that seems to have been important about her is that she was present in a musical contest between Apollo and A SATYR.
Planes (film), a 2013 film Nope

Plane can mean a lot of things...

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Grain now, thanks to Wikipedia.

Grains are coarse particles such as sand particles, salt particles or seeds:

Food grains, the small, hard, fruits or seeds of arable crops or the crops bearing these fruits or seeds. Includes the:
cereal grains (caryopsis of grass plants) possible
pseudocereals: starchy grains produced by broadleaf plants; used like true cereals possible
pulses or grain legumes possible
Whole grains, the cereal grains that contain bran and germ as well as the endosperm possible
oilseeds possible
Film grain, the gritty texture sometimes apparent on images produced using photographic film or paper (grainy) nope
"Fine-grained", designating a more finely differentiated form of a technical or abstract system, in contrast to "coarse-grained", a less differentiated one interesting to look at
Grain (unit), a unit of mass equal to 64.79891 milligrams, 1⁄7,000 of an avoirdupois pound unlikely
Grain size (or particle size), for particles of rock in geology nope
Crystallite or "grain" in metallurgy, a single crystal inside solid-state matter interesting
Grain, a solid propellant charge, roughly a hollow cylinder, sometimes textured, and possibly very large unlikely
Granular synthesis, a method for digital musical instruments operating on the "microsound" time scale nope
Grain (surfboard company), a company that manufactures hollow wooden surfboards nope
Wood grain, the alignment and texture of the fibres in wood possible
Or, more generally:
Grain (cipher), a stream cipher designed for restricted hardware environments and submitted to eSTREAM in 2004 by Martin Hellman et al.
Isle of Grain in Kent, England, on which lies the village of Grain
GRAIN - is an international non-governmental organization for sustainable agriculture

Grain doesn't necessarily mean grain of wheat. Could be sand, wood, or metaphorical for just being everywhere.

FM Qara
August 25th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Could someone spread the word to other groups that the Thief will act uncooperative to increase his chances to be sent to solve the puzzle?

Please remind the Prophet to recruit such individuals. Tell the Prophet a Demon said so.

Yes I'm a Demon.

Another thing. If someone survived, it is most likely that the person is a Thief. Summarily execute the person tomorrow morning.

FM Khelgar
August 25th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Thief
Must unseal the inner sanctum by being the first to solve the main puzzle.

May steal a player’s last will at night and will get to see its contents.

Special:
Last will will not be posted if it’s stolen the same night a player dies. On following nights it will show again.
Learns of any puzzle clues the target has collected from volunteering or night actions
Immune to death by puzzle traps. Will always learn clues as “volunteer,” even if the solution given is wrong.
Becomes a Shadow Thief if converted to the Cult.
Becomes Lunatic upon failure.
1 auto-use vest (+1)

thief is neutral, its goal is to get the sanctum open, the thief may also act cooperative or be the volunteer, remember its a 66% chance not a 100% chance they will die, so if 2 or 3 people make it out alive then you have to look at it like that. Plus town can use the thief to their advantage. Even if there is a thief that gets outed. Lynching it that day would be a waste for towns because its a neutral. The cult might attempt to recruit. Plus seeing how there is most likely a Harper Paragon. If they use thief to unlock the sanctum and was recruited at any point they can merely use him to kill the thief.

for those who will be like tl;dr: Lynching someone who survived a trap will more likely be a waste of time unless you have no leads to go on

FM Khelgar
August 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
The only downside about it is this

If the “winner’s” role is Thief, they will steal the Dagger of Bhaal and incur the wrath of his Cult, giving them up to 3 night kills instead of 1 the first night after the sanctum is opened. Each must be performed by an individual assassin.

however on closer examination

up to 3 night kills instead of 1 the first night
Each must be performed by an individual assassin.[quote]

That would mean that the cult leader would have to think this through, if there is indeed a thief then they would want to have 3 assassins, at the cost of 3 potential prs for the time being. Now of course an explorer could fake thief and try to force cult to make them waste time making assassins. Just something to consider. Also note how this is only for the first night and not any night after.

so if town has this

[quote]
Diviner
May read mind to learn of any puzzle clues the target has collected from volunteering or night actions

Alternatively, may scry to sense how many members each non-Adventurer faction has.

Special:
3 charges of scry

They can do that to figure out how many members they are dealing with at that time.

FM Khelgar
August 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
up to 3 night kills instead of 1 the first night
Each must be performed by an individual assassin.

fixed da quoting

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Korgan thinks that an Adventurer wont claim thief to get recruited by cult. That's game-throw if he tries to get recruited on purpose.

FM Khelgar
August 25th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Korgan thinks that an Adventurer wont claim thief to get recruited by cult. That's game-throw if he tries to get recruited on purpose.

True, but its also a good WIFOM, Cult wants thief to stay as thief for their own reasons, town would want thief for their own reasons.

If cult converts the if they can't incur the wrath, if they leave thief, they have chance of it being unlocked sooner, I think if an adventure is to try it they should ask, it is definitely more viable to a bhaalspawn or harper.

Korgan, who do you talk like that, last fm (if I am thinking you are the same person) you were a scum.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Xan'd laugh if the answer is actually "a single word"

-Propose Solution

Life

Best Xan can think of right now...

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 10:36 AM
True, but its also a good WIFOM, Cult wants thief to stay as thief for their own reasons, town would want thief for their own reasons.

If cult converts the if they can't incur the wrath, if they leave thief, they have chance of it being unlocked sooner, I think if an adventure is to try it they should ask, it is definitely more viable to a bhaalspawn or harper.

Korgan, who do you talk like that, last fm (if I am thinking you are the same person) you were a scum.

Korgan talks as he pleases. Korgan is too active at riddle solving to be a scum.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Korgan wants to remind you that ID hunting is forbidden.

FM Khelgar
August 25th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Korgan wants to remind you that ID hunting is forbidden.

I'm not exactly COM hunting I'm merely saying an observation. If I were to be COM hunting I would be having a list made. I haven't been paying much attention to who might be who. I have been paying attention to the day chat that happened and will be watching day 2. But know this, I don't intentionally COM hunt. If someone makes their COM known through their play style thats their own fault. Theres a fine line between COM huning and knowing someones COM.

All I am doing is contributing to the chat. The other players can take it for what they like.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Korgan thinks the person i am reminding you hasn't signed up for FM 19.

Korgan thinks you should think more.

FM Yeslick
August 25th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Ended up getting off my face and sleeping when I got home last night, sorry mates.

Life actually sounds like a great answer. Only one person has to propose an answer, right? But everyone else is free to propose an answer if they want? At the risk of being arrowed.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Korgan thinks "rape" is the best answer to the riddle!

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM
The opening post of the GM doesn't explain it well enough.

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Only one person has to propose an answer, right? But everyone else is free to propose an answer if they want? At the risk of being arrowed.
Only the volunteer's solution is tested and only the volunteer has a chance of dying to a trap.

Currently, Nalia is the volunteer, with no solution.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
xan

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
propose solution "life"

Korgan forgot that the riddle was told by a Satyr. They stand for fertility.

Life is probably right.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Eh it's the best we have right now

since vote tags don't let you vote for yourself FM Korgan considering he has the best answer right now

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Also Korg you forgot the FM and the counter isn't accepting your vote

FM Khalid
August 25th, 2013, 11:42 AM
-propose solution

Life

FM Khalid
August 25th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I'm feeling pretty good with life too.

So if a majority of us propose the same solution and we push a lurker into volunteering it doesn't take the most common proposal? So someone who is present has to be the volunteer?

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Korgan clearly doesn't think enough.

Can we vote for an afk player and force him to propose the solution we want him to give?

FM Xan

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
other solution is to just volunteer Nalia and hope the trap gets her
but that would waste a night and the sanctum needs to open as soon as possible

FM Yeslick
August 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM
No, Life is a pretty good answer. Korgan, do you mind testing it?

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 11:59 AM
-propose solution

Life

FM Nalia

FM Yeslick
August 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM
-propose solution

Life

FM Nalia

Nalia most likely isn't going to propose an answer. Voting her is a waste of time if we're all this confident

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Korgan doesn't understand the code thingy. Somebody teach Korgan! Korgan is a dwarf. Dwarves are bad with traps.

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Nalia most likely isn't going to propose an answer. Voting her is a waste of time if we're all this confident

if someone else wants to propose, then i'll change my vote. if not, its as effective as a night lynch.

FM Yeslick
August 25th, 2013, 12:08 PM
FM Khalid

I'd prefer not using it as a night lynch. Khalid, I'm going to vote you since you already have a solution proposed in a correct format.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Korgan doesn't understand the code thingy. Somebody teach Korgan! Korgan is a dwarf. Dwarves are bad with traps.

The format stated in the OP is:

-Propose solution:

Life

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM
PSA: Using tags makes BBCode not function so you can do what i did in the above post.
Works better than saying something like
[ vote] [ /vote] and delete the spaces

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM
PSA: Using tags makes BBCode not function so you can do what Xan did in the above post.
Works better than saying something like
[ vote] [ /vote] and delete the spaces

fixed

dammit

FM Khalid
August 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Fine by me, I'm pretty confident with life. Though I would prefer to send the lurker simply because they're not useful at all (though if they get it right we wouldn't get the clue from them...)

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
By the hammer of Moradin. I thank thee.

-Propose solution:

Life

Korgan thinks a 1/3 chance is fair for everyone.

Korgan thinks FM Yoshimo should be pressured tomorrow for not helping enough.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Only the volunteer's solution is tested and only the volunteer has a chance of dying to a trap.

Currently, Nalia is the volunteer, with no solution.

Fine by me, I'm pretty confident with life. Though I would prefer to send the lurker simply because they're not useful at all (though if they get it right we wouldn't get the clue from them...)

If we send a lurker who hasn't submitted a solution, then no solution gets submitted to the gate. So the lurker doesn't get an answer, and simply has a 2/3 chance of dying.

FM Xan
August 25th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Will this same group of people be put into this same puzzle tomorrow night if it isn't completed?

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Will this same group of people be put into this same puzzle tomorrow night if it isn't completed?
No. Players and locations are scrambled each night.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Korgan clearly doesn't think enough.

Can we vote for an afk player and force him to propose the solution we want him to give?

FM Xan

Korgan wants to know if this was already answered.

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
No. The volunteer always submits his own proposed solution, not anything else, though he can copy someone else's. If the volunteer proposes no solution, he is always going to be wrong (unless it's a trick question).

FM Khalid
August 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Unless it's a trick question, lol

FM Khalid
August 25th, 2013, 01:05 PM
By the hammer of Moradin. I thank thee.

-Propose solution:

Korgan thinks a 1/3 chance is fair for everyone.

Agreed on the FM Yoshimo pressure. Hopefully Nalia gets replaced tomorrow since it looks like they aren't around at all

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 01:10 PM
so who's volunteering guys.

FM Ammon
August 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I'd like to remind people that if someone gets the correct answer, the puzzle is closed. That means if someone gets a clue, everyone will know that person has the clue. The only non-scum reason I can think of to NOT share the clue in daychat would be if people are scared of a thief (which is a fairly legitimate reason, admittedly). If someone gets a clue and refuses to share it, it may be in the explorers' best interest to pressure that player into revealing the clue, or else lynch him.

As for concerns of a thief, think of it this way: if the clues are revealed out in the open, chances are the thief will find the correct answer the same time the rest of the explorers do. In this case, numbers are on the explorers' side:

If more than one player submits the correct answer on the same night, the “winner” is chosen at random among them.

The main puzzle will presumably be solved during day chat if the town decides to try to solve it together. If every explorer suggests the answer that night along with the thief, the odds the thief will steal the Dagger of Bhaal are very small. If Hidden Adventurers also chip in, those odds get even smaller.

TL;DR - If you are not a scum, it's in your best interest to share your clue in day chat. Not sharing a clue is scummy behavior, and those that keep to themselves should be penalized. If you're keeping clues to yourself to get the autovest, you're selfish anyway.

So bringing that back to the current discussion, if we're not totally sure that the answer is life, we should definitely send a scummier player. That way we can lynch them if they don't give out the clue, and if they do give out the clue, they have no advantage in having been the volunteer.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Korgan wont reveal if he got the clue. Korgan needs a new Mithril vest.

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Votes are spread all over, need to know whos proposing.

FM Xan

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
FM Korgan

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Why are you trying to tie the votes skie.

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM
unvote

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Why are you trying to tie the votes skie.

i don't particularly trust your judgement. until i can be sure your not evil...

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM
You would rather send an unknown player to test the answer and not know where the clue goes?

Real town move there.

FM Ammon
August 25th, 2013, 02:04 PM
You would rather send an unknown player to test the answer and not know where the clue goes?

Real town move there.

Gotta agree here. Knowing who is testing the answer is always better than not knowing. Again, even if a scummy player gets the clue, you just threaten to lynch until they either die or reveal it.

FM Ammon
August 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM
The answer is probably no, but Are reserves eligible to vote for a volunteer?

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM

Real town move there.

korgan is known? he's in the lead isn't he?

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Are reserves eligible to vote for a volunteer?
No.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Korgan would like to have FM Skie going for it. I think he is scum. Or retarded. Or both. We should send scummy players to solve the riddle.

Korgan thinks this puzzle chat is full with neutrals and scum except Xan and the guy in the white shirt.

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM
FM Skie

:P

FM Korgan
August 25th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Korgan doesn't understand why the most productive player in here has to take a risk when there are people which are clearly more expandable.

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Korgan doesn't understand why the most productive player in here has to take a risk when there are people which are clearly more expandable.

i can't be offered up.

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 02:51 PM
btw, going to sleep soon, so I don't want no surprise votes on me (just in case i'm mistaken about being offered up)

-unpropose solution

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Ok well, Korgan do you not trust the answer? I don't believe it to be correct. Do we want to kill someone or take a risk?

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I don't like the way skie left like that. If we aren't sure of the solution and want to use it to kill someone, I think this is a good start.

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I don't like the way skie left like that. If we aren't sure of the solution and want to use it to kill someone, I think this is a good start.

still here. talk to me if you wish.

FM Anomen
August 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Why did you unpropose?

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Why did you unpropose?

i don't want to go into the trap.

FM Yeslick
August 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM
i don't want to go into the trap.

If you go into the trap without an answer, you have a 100% chance of being fucked. With an answer, you may live.

FM Yeslick
August 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM
-propose solution

Life

FM Skie
August 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM
-propose solution

Life

i hope ya'll push a lynch on anomen if i die.
probably will be up for 30 more minutes.

town doesn't want to send me though.

FM Khalid
August 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I think we're happy enough with "life" to not risk it on someone without a proposal right? Either way I'm pretty confident we've got it, or at least have something pretty close to it

FM Ammon
August 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Hey guys, night's almost over so I'm just reminding you of the vouch mechanic! Your input matters so please vouch for the reserve you think has been the most helpful / is the one you'd like to see join the game most! There are four reserves in this chat:

FM Ammon
FM Grobnar
FM Khelgar
FM Qara

You should vote for one of us (even if it isn't me) because this is a decision that may even affect the outcome of the game. Who would you like to have as an ally? As an enemy? As a neutral?

Okay, I'm done pandering! On-topic, unless he feels he's inexpendable, I feel it's safe to send Skie - he hasn't been very pro-town this evening and yet it seems like he'd share the clue if he got the answer right.

FM Yoshimo
August 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Agreed on the FM Yoshimo pressure. Hopefully Nalia gets replaced tomorrow since it looks like they aren't around at all These posts annoy me when I believe I was one of the most active players trying to solve this riddle, before the last 8 hrs (which are when I sleep). Up until then, Korgan all you did was post meaningless 1 liners. You do seem to have been inspired by a newfound intelligence since though. Khalid, I am flabbergasted that you have the confidence to accuse me of non-contributing to this thread. Why don't you try clicking Show Posts next to my name and then next to yours and see who looks more like a useless non-contributor. Now, on to business. LIFE is a reasonable suggestion. I don't quite understand how it fits the 3rd couplet, even with Xan's modified 3 line version. Korgan's pickup on the Satyr relating to fertility is excellent though and I think is 100% a clue. Lastly, some people haven't even bothered to understand how this riddle process works. That's what I'm taking note of. I don't quite understand why multiple people are proposing the solution either. We need definitive agreement on who will volunteer and then we need that person only to propose the solution.

FM Yoshimo
August 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
This software is retarded. Where did all my paragraph breaks go?

FM Yoshimo
August 25th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hey guys, night's almost over so I'm just reminding you of the vouch mechanic! Your input matters so please vouch for the reserve you think has been the most helpful / is the one you'd like to see join the game most! There are four reserves in this chat:

FM Ammon
FM Grobnar
FM Khelgar
FM Qara

You should vote for one of us (even if it isn't me) because this is a decision that may even affect the outcome of the game. Who would you like to have as an ally? As an enemy? As a neutral?

Okay, I'm done pandering! On-topic, unless he feels he's inexpendable, I feel it's safe to send Skie - he hasn't been very pro-town this evening and yet it seems like he'd share the clue if he got the answer right.

I have vouched for one of you.

FM Yoshimo
August 25th, 2013, 04:19 PM
FM Skie

She seems the most willing to to go along with this.

Good luck Skie.

FM Ferengi
August 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Even after the lynching of Edwin, there was still no unity in the group that ventured towards the Gargoyle's Gate. For hours and hours they argued on the smallest of details of what the solution might be. And for hours more they argued who would be the one to risk his or her life for the good of the expedition. The only thing they all agreed upon from the start was that there was no turning back. They wouldn't rely on the other groups to find an entrance for them. And without opening this gate, they would not be able to proceed.

When they could not come to an agreement whether to send Skie or Korgan, the two decided to draw straws. Yoshimo held them out and allowed Skie to pick first. She took a good look at the three straws sticking out of Yoshimo's clenched fist and measured their perceived length on the end she could see, then made her pick. Korgan snorted and just grabbed one without thinking. As it turned out, Skie's wits didn't spare her this day. She drew the shortest straw.

Skie laid her hand upon the gate, like she had done before. She hesitated for a moment, biting her lip. After some hesitation, she spoke out loud the word that she had chosen: "Life."

The eyes of the Satyr's head glowed in a red light as the walls rumbled again. Quickly the light grew brighter and brighter, until a blinding flash caused the group to back away and cover their eyes in a reflex. When they all dared to look again to see what had happened, they saw that the gate remained sealed. Much to their dismay.

The volunteer stood still. Her eyes and mouth open, but she was unable to scream. Slowly her knees gave in, and she collapsed to the ground. Skie was no more.