PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: new host choosing way.

Sarzael
May 12th, 2011, 07:37 AM
At the start of a game, there will be a vote time of a minute, each player will vote a host, but they cannot vote for themselves.
The player whit most votes, will be the host.
In case of tie, the player whit most exp will be the host, since it will probably got a good setup.

That could probably prevent a noob host who doesnt do anything but sleeping, and repick command will not be needed anymore.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Lets not, mainly because of premades and conformity. If a host, hosts his own game, it shouldn't be a democracy. Rarely are there hosts who are "sleeping" or are newbs. Almost always hosts are repicked because players want their way.

Membrax
May 12th, 2011, 07:54 AM
No, because of premades and conformity. If a host, "hosts" his own game, it shouldn't be a democracy.

/Agree
Plus it would delay the start even more. Just use the -repick command if you are not happy with host's settings.

Sarzael
May 12th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I know, thats why im suggesting this, because i hate that when im host, everyone write repick when i didnt even finished it, for no reason, only because everyone wants to be the host.

Membrax
May 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I know, thats why im suggesting this, because i hate that when im host, everyone write repick when i didnt even finished it, for no reason, only because everyone wants to be the host.

I'd advise you to load your Saved Slot as soon as you get control, and make adjustements from there. I've never been repicked doing this, and I've hosted a loooot of games since - like lots of people on this forum - I tend to always have the most points.

Omgproberush
May 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
If someone's hosting their own game, then they should be host. Simple enough. If other people want certain settings, they should host their own game.

Zack
May 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Is it possible to code that in? I get what you are saying. And you're right...

Basically, to elaborate: If a host creates a game through the Create Game menu then he will be the host exclusively, no repick votes will be allowed, no matter what - even if the host made the game public.

Repicks will only be turned on in games generated by clicking "Join" on the game lists.

Of course, the host himself will always be able to type -repick and pass the wand to someone else. Better yet, we should be able to have a direct inheritance command, such as "-repick ProHost", in this case he will pass the host status to the player called ProHost.

This will end the problem of parties forcing a repick.

Trenix
May 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM

There are better solutions for this problem. So far everyone's liking the whole anonymous repicking, which will probably remove or at least reduce conformity. Another is giving players more time to start the game before repicking starts. I mean, the problem is that the host is unable to host. I don't see how this suggestion will change anything, besides making matters worse.

Styx
May 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Zack it's impossible to detect inside the game how the player joined the game. That solution is impossible to implement.

I've said this elsewhere and I believe it was originally suggested by Trenix, simply don't show X wants to repick messages. This hinders bandwagoning and is likely to greatly increase the amount of time a host will have to setup effectively.

Zack
May 15th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Oh? But there is already a distinction, isn't there?

When you create a game yourself, you will be the host and get to setup the game when it starts. However, if you clicked "Join" and created a new game that way because no game was open, then once the game starts the host to setup the game will be chosen in a completely random manner.

styx0202
May 15th, 2011, 03:28 AM
the best solution would be "roll the dice"
or in this case game itself "rolls the dice" and host gets randomly picked from bracket of players present in the game, or from all players with more than 100 points (to avoid newbie hosts)

edit : quick job, but this is how it should look like

basically like this - http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8708/hostsi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/hostsi.jpg/)

Nick
May 15th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Slightly related:

The set-up screen is crappy. I can't see properly if I am not host. It's so grey and black!
Also, the chat screen is way too small. Not all of us have perfect eyesight!

THIS. I also have problems reading the roles list in the set-up screen if I'm not the host. Increase the contrast please (grey-white instead of grey-black).

No comments on chat screen. Maybe a poll on chat screen font size?

styx0202
May 15th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Slightly related:

The set-up screen is crappy. I can't see properly if I am not host. It's so grey and black!
Also, the chat screen is way too small. Not all of us have perfect eyesight!

what the hell are you talking about, are you trolling again
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/noitsnot.jpg/
screen is perfectly visible, and when you're host it lights up even more.

Nick
May 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
what the hell are you talking about, are you trolling again
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/noitsnot.jpg/
screen is perfectly visible, and when you're host it lights up even more.

platorepublic might be a troll. But this time, "he" (assumed from the pic) is not trolling. I can't even see the roles list in your screenshot (right side). You might want to check it out...

styx0202
May 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Plenty people here already know "nick" is your second account, platorepublic, admins see the the IP's are the same anyway, so keep on trolling to your ban.

Nick
May 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Plenty people here already know "nick" is your second account, platorepublic, admins see the the IP's are the same anyway, so keep on trolling to your ban.

I hope you are not referring to me...

I'm in the forums for the constructive comments, not for the drama. Please don't drag me into this quagmire...

Dark.Revenant
May 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Nick is a different person.

On topic: I cannot brighten it. But not being able to see it means that your brightness is WAY too low. Also, the chat window is not getting any bigger than it already is. The font size is also as large as it's going to get.

Styx
May 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'd suggest turning up the contrast on your actual SC2 settings, I did that basically as soon as I got the game since it was so dark and I've never had a problem reading anything in mafia.

Nick
May 16th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I'd suggest turning up the contrast on your actual SC2 settings, I did that basically as soon as I got the game since it was so dark and I've never had a problem reading anything in mafia.

I have never thought of in-game contrast. Thanks!

Sarzael
May 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I think the idea in the image (The one of the host suggesting ways in lobby) is very cool.

Dark.Revenant
May 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I tried implementing it for about 6 hours and battle.net simply would not let me upload a map with edited races. I wasted an entire day of development on nothing, and now the new version will be delayed 2-15 days.

Sarzael
May 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Sorry.
Also why? I have seen lots of maps whit edited races, for example those Special Forces in which you can select starting unit.

Dark.Revenant
May 18th, 2011, 12:11 AM
It won't work for me. Probably because I use some custom dependencies. I literally tried everything.

Dark.Revenant
May 18th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Nope, I was wrong. It's because I can't have one person get to choose their race while other players don't have a race selection option... Well, in any case, it kinda kills the idea.

Edit: Combination of both. In any case, it can't happen. Sorry.