PDA

View Full Version : Some Roles I came up with

SamSparta
August 9th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Hello, here are some role suggestions I came up with for Mafia. Please do not be mean - give constructive criticism and tell me whether these roles are overpowered, don't fit in the metagame, what changes I could make, etc. I'd love some feedback!

Enjoy :)

Preacher
Alignment: Cult (Neutral Evil)
The Preacher is a Cultist who can also talk at night. Preacher messages during the night come up as Crier, similar to how Kidnapper comes up as Jailor while talking in Jail. The Preacher can convert people to the Cult as well. However, Cultists will take priority over the Preacher and will visit the target instead of the Preacher.
Abilities:
- Talk during the night
- Convert
Win Condition: same as Cult
Host Options:
Can convert at night: yes/no (default yes)
Becomes Cultist if alone: yes/no (default no)
Crier becomes Preacher upon conversion: yes/no (default yes)

Voyeur
Alignment: Town Investigative
The Voyeur is a counterpart to the Lookout. Instead of seeing who visited his target, he sees the events that happened to his target. For example, he sees if they were attacked, healed, role-blocked, annoyed, someone attempted to convert them, etc. but does not see the exact role that performed that action.
Abilities:
- Watch someone each night
Win Condition: Lynch every criminal and evildoer
Host Options:
Sees exact role: yes/no (default no)
Ignores detection immunity: yes/no (default yes)
Example messages:
"Someone attempted to convert your target last night." (Cult/Mason conversion) Note: Voyeur does not know if they succeed
"Your target was attacked last night." (Any attacking role attack)
"Your target rode on a bus last night." (Bus Driver)
"Your target was doused last night." (Arsonist)

Priest
Alignment: Town Protective
The Priest can cleanse a target each night. Cleanses remove any effects on the target, and make them immune to all effects except kills (including positive effects such as Doctor healing) for that night. The Priest cannot cleanse himself.
Abilities:
- Cleanse someone each night
Win Condition: Lynch every criminal and evildoer
Host Options:
Stops attackers: yes/no (default no)
Limited to 2 cleanses: yes/no (default no)
Limited to 3 cleanses: yes/no (default no)
Kills Cultists: yes/no (default no)

Thief
Alignment: Neutral Benign
The Thief can steal an item from someone during the night. The next night, they can use that item on a target to perform that role’s action. For example, if they steal from a Vigilante, they can kill someone the next night. The Thief does not know what item he has stolen and what use it has until he uses it. The Thief’s steal is also a role-block for one night. The Thief cannot steal items from targets that do not visit, and he also cannot steal from the Disguiser, Bus Driver, Amnesiac, Coroner, Jailor, Kidnapper, Cultist, or Mason/Mason Leader. The Thief can only hold one item at a time, but he can choose when to use it and who to use it on. The Thief's role-block does not ignore block immunity.
Abilities:
- Steal from someone
- Use a stolen item
Win Condition: Survive
Host Options:
Knows what item was stolen: yes/no (default no)
Role-blocks target: yes/no (default yes)
Cannot steal from night immune: yes/no (default yes)
Ignores block immunity: yes/no (default no)
If Thief tries to steal from Serial Killer who kills role-blockers: “A Thief attempted to steal from you, but you had other plans for them…”
Example role-block message: "A Thief stole your gun! You cannot shoot anyone tonight."

Bomber
Alignment: Neutral Killing
The Bomber can place a bomb on someone every night. Bombs detonate in two nights. If someone with a bomb on them visits someone else, they will pass the bomb onto them, like a sticky bomb. Bombs ignore night immunity, however they can be removed and disarmed by Doctors, Witch Doctors, and Priests. The Bomber also has an ability to detonate all bombs immediately, but it uses up a night and he cannot place another bomb during that night.
Abilities:
- Attach a bomb onto someone each night
- Explode bombs
Win Condition: be the last one left alive
Host Options:
Ignores immunity: yes/no (default yes)
Must wait one night between bombings: yes/no (default no)
Invulnerable at night: yes/no (default yes)
Target knows he has a bomb: yes/no (default no)
Bombs detonate in 1 night: yes/no (default no)
Bombs detonate in 2 nights: yes/no (default yes)
Bombs detonate in 3 nights: yes/no (default no)
Bomb can be removed by Doctor: yes/no (default yes)
Death message: “He/she was killed in an explosion.”
Removed bomb: "You find a bomb on your target! You remove and disarm the bomb."

EDIT: Invest Messages

"Your target stays up during the night to talk, leading you to believe they are likely either a Crier or a Preacher."
"You discover a number of sharp tools and implements, suggesting that your target is a Priest, a Doctor, or a Witch, or if you're unlucky, a Witch Doctor."
"Your target spends his time stalking others in secret. You believe they are a Voyeur, but they might be a Thief or even a Bomber."

Sen
August 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM
What you're suggesting as Watcher is commonly known as a Voyeur, and is one of my favorite roles, so I'd love to see it. The bad thing is that there are already enough Town Investigative roles.
Also, given the average skill of the players, I doubt many would be able to handle such a role.
More info: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Voyeur

The priest looks overpowered. Mix it with a doctor and you have someone immune to everything. in any case, it should also remove good effects from players, to balance it out. Basically, to make the target an ascetic for one night.
More info: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Ascetic

The bomber sounds fun, but it's totally random. It removes all strategy and it's pretty much rolling a dice to see who will die from the bomb. Almost impossible to win that way, given the random nature of the attacks. Also, should win with benigns and witch.

Your Thief sounds more like a Neutral Evil. Also, isn't it some underpowered version of the Witch? A witch can redirect (and force) a night action, every night. This role would take two nights to do the same.

Please no more night spammers. Preacher is a terrible idea. d:

SamSparta
August 9th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Thank you for your feedback :)

The idea behind the Preacher was that people who get Crier can instantly be confirmed as Town, because only the Crier can claim Crier. The Preacher can cast doubt upon the Crier so he isn't like a Mayor who doesn't have to reveal to get roles PMed to him. The Preacher can convert as well.

EDIT: Also, Priest could cleanse Doctor/Bodyguard heals as well, so there is a risk to playing him
also there is an option to give Priest limited amount of cleanses if he's too OP.

With the Bomber win: I meant just like how other Neut Killings win. So yes, with witch and benigns. Also on the SC2 Mafia wiki that Arsonist win condition is written as "be the last one left alive."

Also, the Thief is Neut Benign, so he wins with Town too. Say, if the Vigilante was out of shots, the Thief could steal his gun and use it to kill the Mafioso. Or if the Veteran was out of alerts. Stuff like that can help the town, whereas the Witch is stuck having to make Town lose.

AppleyNO
August 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Ha. I support Preacher, as a cult role, to allow the crier to not be confirmable. The question I have is How would the Preacher convert if he is the only cult role?

UltimaNecros
August 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM
why would a theif be able to steal from cult/masons? they dont use items to convert they use words. it shouldnt be an option. instead of that the option should be Ignores Roleblock killers (i.e. 1 kpn or uh i mean Serial killer since they dont directly roleblock, you just dont have your gun or knife or gasoline that night.) and instead of reoleblocks target it should be does night immunity prevent Theft. (not easy to steal from a godfather who is alert enough to easily dodge an incoming bus)

also he should be able to target himself if he has an item but not nessisarily have an effect. like if you steal a gun and target your self you wouldnt be stupid enough to acually shoot yourself unless witched. but if he say stole from arso and target himself he would light up all the targets previously doused or if he did nothing undouse himself.

Also i think the option to know what item he took can essential make him a super invest that gets to roleblock a target and then use his power. i hope you see why thta cna be OP if he sides with town, which they might easily do inexchange for a win.

oh and if he steals from vet and alerts he shouldnt murder everyone who vists him, only the first person that visits since he lacks the veterans experience.

SamSparta
August 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
@Appley: The Preacher is a normal Cultist who can talk at night. Meaning he can also convert. There would be an option for Preacher to be unable to convert and he would just turn into Cultist if alone.

@UltimaNecros: Yeah I'll remove the cult option from Thief... there are a lot of possible situations that Thief can help Town with but also help Mafia, so his decision on who to support can influence the game.

Preacher can convert at night like a Cultist can.

mods keep removing my post for some reason D:

SamSparta
August 10th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Ha. I support Preacher, as a cult role, to allow the crier to not be confirmable. The question I have is How would the Preacher convert if he is the only cult role?

If the Preacher is alone, he can convert like a normal Cultist as well as talk at night. However there would be an option for the Preacher to be unable to convert and he would become a Cultist if alone.

also he should be able to target himself if he has an item but not nessisarily have an effect. like if you steal a gun and target your self you wouldnt be stupid enough to acually shoot yourself unless witched. but if he say stole from arso and target himself he would light up all the targets previously doused or if he did nothing undouse himself.

If a Thief stole from an Arsonist, he would be able to douse one person. The Thief would know that he doused that person. (You doused X in gasoline) But only the Arsonist can ignite. However Thief would only be able to steal from an Arsonist if either "cannot steal from night immune" is off or "ignores block immunity" is on.

MrMostache
August 10th, 2013, 06:47 AM
The Voyeur is a very decent idea. Having too many investigative roles does not justify why this role shouldn't be added. You won't have all investigative roles in one game.

SamSparta
August 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
The bomber sounds fun, but it's totally random. It removes all strategy and it's pretty much rolling a dice to see who will die from the bomb. Almost impossible to win that way, given the random nature of the attacks. Also, should win with benigns and witch.

I was thinking about that and maybe the Bomber could have an ability like the Arsonist burn where he could blow up all bombs currently circulating, but it would use up a night and he would not be able to place a bomb that night. It would be sort of like a "faster" kill, but still with some random factor.

sc2reboot
August 10th, 2013, 06:41 PM
bomber sounds alot like anarchist from epicmafia.

Sen
August 11th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Ha. I support Preacher, as a cult role, to allow the crier to not be confirmable.

I'd rather have an option for "Crier keeps night ability after conversion" than having yet another role that will do nothing but have a bunch of trolls forcing it into their saves just so they can spend the nights showing us how many euphemisms for "penis" they do know.

SamSparta
August 11th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'd rather have an option for "Crier keeps night ability after conversion" than having yet another role that will do nothing but have a bunch of trolls forcing it into their saves just so they can spend the nights showing us how many euphemisms for "penis" they do know.

It's not so more people can spam at night, it's so that the Crier role won't be instantly confirmable as town. I don't actually see too many people spamming when they get Crier. Or maybe I'm just lucky.