PDA

View Full Version : Role Idea: Politician

townkrier
May 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry if something similar has been discussed or proposed before, I searched politician and no results came up.

Okay, the general idea:

Class: Politician
Side: Town
Backstory: Politicians (looking from a pessimistic view) are sneaky individuals who accept bribes and vote the way of their "contributors." There have been thousands of times where politicians have run into trouble because they have been found to have partaken in a quid pro quo exchange of money for votes.

Abilities: In the mafia world, this could mean that a politician has 2-4 (3) terms that they choose to be in office (during the night before). During those terms, either of the following could happen:
- If they are in office, an attempt to kill them will fail. However, the politician will be forced to vote with their attacker the next turn.
(AND/OR) - Special ability: Politician can use clout and double their vote's weight in 1 lynching cycle.

It was just a random idea while walking to work (work for government :D). Let me know what you think! Love the game.

Goonswarm
May 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I think that the idea of it as a neutral role is alot better. If this role was to replace survivor I think it would make the game alot more interesting for several reasons.

Having a politician can be both be beneficial and harmful to both the town and mafia. I really like the idea of the "Office" ability doubling as a bulletproof vest and it would make the role alot more interesting having uses. The survivor goal would be the same for the politician but in regards to the voting bonus I feel that it is way too strong. This ability should have very limited use. An idea I had is that if the politicians decide to use their power to double their vote they will lose any additional "Terms or Office stays". It would be hard to find balance but I really like this role replacing survivor and giving it this more active role would be a great addition to the game.

Styx
May 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I know this is off-topic from your idea but:

I'd like to see the politician from Epic Mafia introduced. Here's the basic lowdown on how the role works:

Role: Politician
Affiliation: Town (originally)
Victory Condition: Win with the side you are currently aligned with

Mechanics:
Night Ability: None

Abilities:
Every (1, 2, 3) nights the Politician has a 50% chance to change affiliation from Town to Mafia or vica versa.
Votes count for double when voting to lynch someone (Other players only see the single vote)

Cannot talk to the Mafia at night even when affiliated with Mafia.

Strategy:
The Politician must vote according to where he believes he will end up, there's a lot of luck in this role but the good news is that the Politician has the greatest influence on who does and doesn't get lynched. If he's currently affiliated with Town, he may even choose to save a Mafia member if he's maybe about to change affiliation.

townkrier
May 12th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I like both of those write ups, even though they are quite different. It seems like this would be a pretty difficult class to code either way. Anyway, I just wanted to share my suggestion. Cheers!

Zack
May 12th, 2011, 02:00 AM
The second one is a tad wierd no? Very random. Considering the pace of the Mafia game on SC2, if that role is accepted, I would say the alignment should change every single day. So, the number of days the game takes to end would have an impact - and the politician will have to try to aim for the game to end at a favourable day for him, so he may end up prolonging the game by voting innocent in lynches or try to cut it short by voting guilty. An interesting role, heh.

I kinda see the politician getting killed more often than not though... He can't be trusted by either side..

Styx
May 12th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I tend to agree with your suggestion Zack, whilst I have enjoyed playing the Politician in this state on Epic Mafia I also agree a more predictable version without luck is more in the spirit of this mod (especially based on what DR is doing with roles such as the Bodyguard, also removing the luck factors)

I kinda see the politician getting killed more often than not though... He can't be trusted by either side..

Well that's just half the fun ;D