PDA

View Full Version : StarForge

Bruno
July 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
It's a pretty awesome game with some great features planned, I recommend everyone checks it out.

SuperJack
July 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM
It's a pretty awesome game with some great features planned, I recommend everyone checks it out.

50% off on steam, I am most likely going to buy it XD

Raptorblaze
July 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
I already own it, the main issue is their current game modes are heavily broken (you have to rely on the resource you need spawning because except for wood there's no natural sources yet) and they seem focused on adding new items as opposed to fixing that issue first. Still though, the infinite map thing is cool as shit.

Bruno
July 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
I already own it, the main issue is their current game modes are heavily broken (you have to rely on the resource you need spawning because except for wood there's no natural sources yet) and they seem focused on adding new items as opposed to fixing that issue first. Still though, the infinite map thing is cool as shit.

Natural resources are some of the new features that they're working on.

Sometime whenever they enable the dig tool they're converting those resources from spawning from thin air to having to find them.

Raptorblaze
July 21st, 2013, 03:17 PM
Natural resources are some of the new features that they're working on.

Sometime whenever they enable the dig tool they're converting those resources from spawning from thin air to having to find them.

The building load bearing system looks neat too (disabled atm)

Hypersniper
July 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
>looks at screenshots
>looks at price
>because I'm a cheap skate I decide to wait a bit
>3 months later
>goes on torrent site and illegally download game

http://i.imgur.com/WzjWh6I.gif

Bruno
July 21st, 2013, 06:05 PM
>looks at screenshots
>looks at price
>because I'm a cheap skate I decide to wait a bit
>3 months later
>goes on torrent site and illegally download game

Lol, really? You can't afford a 10 dollar game, so your next move is to PIRATE an INDIE game?

TimeTrx
July 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM
I'd rather play Shadowrun Returns, StarForge seems to be like a browser game: Tribal Wars anyone.

Dudemanguy12
July 21st, 2013, 09:00 PM
I personally don't purchase early access titles. But I have been looking at Starforge for quite some time, and the game itself looks pretty amazing with the concept it has.

Glip
July 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM
I personally don't purchase early access titles. But I have been looking at Starforge for quite some time, and the game itself looks pretty amazing with the concept it has.

The only thing that's preventing me from buying it RIGHT NOW is that it's SO EARLY in the game's development, there's a good chance that the developers will run out of time/money/inspiration/will to live and may abandon the game before it's completed.

Also the fact that it's probably going to be a couple years before everything in the concept videos is fully realized.

Bruno
July 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM
The only thing that's preventing me from buying it RIGHT NOW is that it's SO EARLY in the game's development, there's a good chance that the developers will run out of time/money/inspiration/will to live and may abandon the game before it's completed.

Also the fact that it's probably going to be a couple years before everything in the concept videos is fully realized.

Glip, a lot of the features are already in place. See, this game would have been done awhile ago but they just recently finished upgrading from Unity 3 to Unity 4, which means imminent implementation of old features.

Glip
July 22nd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Glip, a lot of the features are already in place. See, this game would have been done awhile ago but they just recently finished upgrading from Unity 3 to Unity 4, which means imminent implementation of old features.

I JUST talked to Rap earlier today about whether I should buy it. (He already has.)

He says it's in such early alpha stages that it's practically unplayable.

Glip
July 22nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
Alrighty, I bought StarForge, and after canoodling around for a while in the Infinite Terrain Demo, I decided to try out the Fort Defense game mode.

After a few failed attempts to figure out how to place a gun turret on top of a tower that I built, I decided instead to just build a ring of gun turrets on the ground around the vat, then wall up around the vat, and just sit on top of the vat and repair the wall as needed.

Round about wave 50 or so I got bored and decided to venture out and see what sort of weapons were in the chests that kept popping. That's when I found the gun.

A gun with so ridiculously many barrels on it (I couldn't even count them all because they went off-screen) that when I tried to fire it at anything from the vat, I got pretty much instantly knocked off the vat by the kickback.

So, naturally, I decided to point this gunpack at the ground, and start my space exploration XD. Unfortunately my guy didn't seem to be able to keep pointing the gun at the ground for long, and just started flailing about randomly, so I decided to stop firing and just look at the pretty view while I fell to my death.

That was 5 minutes ago. I'm still falling. Guess I managed to shoot myself off the map or something.

Glip
July 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
I'm going to see if I can't get a dedicated server up and running for multiplayer.

Glip
July 24th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Anyone online that owns StarForge?

I believe I've got a working multiplayer server running, and I want to see if you guys can connect to it.

Just let me know if you're interested and I'll boot it up/give you the IP.

SuperJack
July 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I can go online tonight if you wish :)

Glip
July 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I can go online tonight if you wish :)

The server is up right now.

IP: 71.46.86.142

Running Creative. Anyone who wants can join. I'll probably be afk a lot.

Admiral
July 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I didn't really have a bunch of time to browse the titles I was unsure of but from what I saw in the video on steam from this game I felt it was too generic so I did not purchase it. Plus it's not finished and I don't support buying unfinished products becoming a precedent. The fact that games like Call of Duty are guaranteed to make truckloads of money no matter what you put in them development wise reflects on the quality of the game / time developers spend improving the product. Why would they do extra work?

We saw what happened with War Z. What is to stop this from being any different?