PDA

View Full Version : Role: Mentalist

Beuzmoker
July 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM
Hello,
First you must know that english isn't my native language, so i already apologize for eventual faults.
Second, I really enjoy Mafia, so I don't have any pretention of making a perfect role, but I just want to bring some idea.

Role name: Mentalist (This isn't really representative)
Description: You are a powerfull mystic who swaps his spirit with someone.
Alignment: Neutral Benign

Abilities: Swap his identity with his target and become the same role as his target at night, this ability can be use only once.
The target loses her abilities but keeps her goal (Invest role still see the target as his primary role) and the new mentalist goal is to make his target win.
Your target will be alerted if you fail to swap.

Win Condition: Survive (as long as the Mentalist doesn't have target anyone.)

Sheriff: Not suspicious (as long as the Mentalist doesn't have target anyone.)

Investigator: Your target seems to be mentally unstable, leading you to believe that they are either a Jester or an Arsonist or perhaps a Mentalist (as long as the Mentalist doesn't have target anyone.)

Host Options:
1) Cannot use his ability on Mafia - (Default: Off)
2) Cannot use his ability on Town - (Default: Off)
3) Loses if you die before your target wins - (Default: Off)
If this option is On and if your target is a Executioner who target you and then you get lynched, you win obviously.
4) Doctor/Witch Doctor prevents swap - (Default: Off)
This option can make unexpected mecanics, imagine the doctor heal a Mafia member or a Neutral so the Mentalist can't target them.
5) New Role revealed to town the next day - (Default: On)

Pros:
- Can be very funny and entertaining.
- Your ennemies need to think even more to realize what you're doing.
- I think this role is pretty balanced.

Cons:
- Hard to play in my opinion (A bit like the Amnesiac.)
- The target can feels bad or useless when she loses all his abilities.

Overall effect on the metagame if implemented: This would make the game even more difficult and entertaining.

Additional comments:
Both know that they must play in team to win.
This can be especially fun when the target is a Jester or an Executioner.
Mentalist can really confuse the town if he targets a Disguiser who steal town identidy (in that case, the Mentalist would know that he targets a Disguiser.)
Mentalist cannot become any unique role.

If you have any question or request.
See you in Mafia ! :D

Voss
July 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM
any other comments on this idea? i sorta like it for once

Chane
July 21st, 2013, 08:08 AM
yeh I like it, it is very simmilar to a role I suggested about a year ago that was all about swapping role and identity, I do however suggest you to remove the "survive" way of winning, he should lose the game if he fails to swap into a role and win with it.

Banshis
July 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM
First of all I really like the role, but I have some questions.

Mentalist swaps with amnesiac- Does the mentalist get to choose a dead role after?

Mentalist swaps with a mafia- Does he gain a night chat with mafia?

Mentalist swaps with arsonist- Does the douse still go off if the arsonist doused that night?

Mentalist swaps with jester- Does he and the other jester need to get lynched?

Banshis
July 21st, 2013, 08:55 AM
Another question.

Mentalist swaps with a cultist- Does cult lose a charge since Mentalist becomes a cultist or do they keep charges. Also does he gain cult night chat?

Beuzmoker
July 21st, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm glad that you like it.

Mentalist swaps with amnesiac- Does the mentalist get to choose a dead role after?
Yes, if the Amnesiac don't already his ability, otherwise he gets the new Amnesiac role abilities.

Yes, but according to mafia nothing happen since the mentalist appears with the same name and color as his target. However, the target loses all his ability so she won't see mafia chat.

Mentalist swaps with arsonist- Does the douse still go off if the arsonist doused that night?
Yes.

Mentalist swaps with jester- Does he and the other jester need to get lynched?
The "real" Jester still need to be lynched since he keeps his goal, the "fake" Jester don't need to be lynched as his goal is to make his target win.

Mentalist swaps with a cultist- Does cult lose a charge since Mentalist becomes a cultist or do they keep charges. Also does he gain cult night chat?
Cult won't lose a charge since it is not their action.
For chat, this is the same as mafia.

Chronologically, the Mentalist swap should happen just before/after the Disguiser, so if Disguiser and Mentalist target each other, one of them should always win.
For the swap effect, we should refer at the Disguiser effect as they both have the same mecanic (for the question of Cult charge and Arsonist douse).

TheDarkestLight
July 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
I think unique roles -Mayor, Marshall, ML, GF- should be immune to this. But other than that it seems pretty solid to me.

Banshis
July 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Ok I would make the alignment Neutral Benign since a neutral evil will always be against town, but the mentalist could easily target town and help them win,

Yet another question-
Mentalist Targets Neutral Killing- Neutral killing gets lynched, but the mentalist swapped with whatever the neutral killing was. Can he survive to the end as the killing and win so he target wins?

Beuzmoker
July 21st, 2013, 01:18 PM
I think unique roles -Mayor, Marshall, ML, GF- should be immune to this. But other than that it seems pretty solid to me.
True. I'll add

Ok I would make the alignment Neutral Benign since a neutral evil will always be against town, but the mentalist could easily target town and help them win,
True. I'll add

Mentalist Targets Neutral Killing- Neutral killing gets lynched, but the mentalist swapped with whatever the neutral killing was. Can he survive to the end as the killing and win so he target wins?
He should lose because at the end of the game, the neutral killing isn't alive while this is his goal.

Hypersniper
July 21st, 2013, 03:44 PM
One of the best roles I have seen suggested they should take away Marshall and add this

cattack
July 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Yes, if the Amnesiac don't already his ability, otherwise he gets the new Amnesiac role abilities.

Yes, but according to mafia nothing happen since the mentalist appears with the same name and color as his target. However, the target loses all his ability so she won't see mafia chat.

Wait, so the original mafia member cannot read/speak at night in the mafia chat? But the Mentalist will. So the mentalist can say something and the other mafia will know who he is. He would not appear in the mafia team list either I suppose? The only mafia member who would not know who the mentalist is then is the mafia who got 'role swapped'. I guess the other mafia would not vote on the mentalist so he should still know not to vote him either. This would be the same for cult then, the mentalist can talk in the cult chat and see if there are additional cultists already. The cult swapped would not know the mentalist is cause he does not show up in the cult list.

Then again, if -pm is allowed, the mentalist can just speak to the person he swapped with.

I also got some other questions about the role.
1. How does he fail? Of course the target could die and he cannot take a unique role
2. I'd recon by 1 time you mean he can only use it once if the mind swapped works? or?
3. Would it work on people who just dead? or would it be a waste
4. If his target is a executioner, He would learn the target of his target?
5. What will happen to the target of the mentalist? He would still see he is role X?
6. Say he becomes a jailor. The original jailor won't be able to jail some one and won't see the jailor chat?
7. Will the mentalist see the last will of his target and or will he replace it with his?
8. The mentalist becomes the targets role basically? Replacing his current role with his target
Seems like a fun role. Though, you should add to the cons, makes the target feel useless after loosing his ability.

Beuzmoker
July 24th, 2013, 04:21 AM
1. How does he fail? Of course the target could die and he cannot take a unique role
He fails if his target dies or if his target is a unique role.

2. I'd recon by 1 time you mean he can only use it once if the mind swapped works? or?
If he fails to swap, he doesn't lose his unique charge.

3. Would it work on people who just dead? or would it be a waste
If his target die, he'll fail his swap.

4. If his target is a executioner, He would learn the target of his target?
Yes.

5. What will happen to the target of the mentalist? He would still see he is role X?
Yes but he won't be able to do his abilities.

6. Say he becomes a jailor. The original jailor won't be able to jail some one and won't see the jailor chat?
As he loses all his abilities, yes.

7. Will the mentalist see the last will of his target and or will he replace it with his?
No, they'll both keep their last will and they won't see each other last will.

8. The mentalist becomes the targets role basically? Replacing his current role with his target
Seems like a fun role. Though, you should add to the cons, makes the target feel useless after loosing his ability.
Yes, this is the only real con of the role, but she won't be really useless if pm is allowed : they both can work in team and think on what target they'll use their abilities.

Squidypie
July 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
-The odds of you dying in a given game are pretty high, wouldn't it be easier to basically just make him on the team he's become? Is there any reason not to leave the person whose role he took in the chats, seeing as mentalist is effectively a +1 for that team?

It seems a small mercy to have their victim see the chat seeing as they've been turned into a voting stump. (unless a lynched stump returns the role?)

Beuzmoker
July 24th, 2013, 06:54 AM
The role that the Mentalist target is reveals the next day, so the town will know who the Mentalist join.

5) New Role revealed to town the next day - (Default: On)

eezstreet
July 24th, 2013, 10:48 AM
What happens when the Mentalist dies if they have selected a role? Do they get revealed as Mentalist or as the selected person's role?
Furthermore, do they receive at least one charge of an ability, similar to an Amnesiac? So if I swap with a Disguiser that has already used up their ability, I can kill and disguise myself as someone else?

If I swap with a Jester, does the Jester still kill someone after they have been lynched? Does the Jester still win if they are lynched? Do I win if I'm lynched? OR...does the Jester just lose the ability to annoy people?

I like this role, but I'm not a fan of the name.

Beuzmoker
July 24th, 2013, 11:19 AM
What happens when the Mentalist dies if they have selected a role? Do they get revealed as Mentalist or as the selected person's role?
As the Amnesiac, he will be reveal as the selected role.

Furthermore, do they receive at least one charge of an ability, similar to an Amnesiac? So if I swap with a Disguiser that has already used up their ability, I can kill and disguise myself as someone else?
No, I think this would be too overpowered.

If I swap with a Jester, does the Jester still kill someone after they have been lynched? Does the Jester still win if they are lynched? Do I win if I'm lynched? OR...does the Jester just lose the ability to annoy people?
Nobody will suicide if the Jester is lynched, someone suicide, if you are lynched since you get his abilities.
If the Jester is lynched, you win, if you are lynched, you don't. The Jester lose his ability to annoy.

I like this role, but I'm not a fan of the name.
To be honest, I don't like this name too. ^^

Squidypie
July 25th, 2013, 01:25 AM
How about naming him Ginyu after the legendary body swapper?

Beuzmoker
July 25th, 2013, 02:54 AM
How about naming him Ginyu after the legendary body swapper?
Funny, but I don't think this will happen as the name doesn't really fit with other. :D