PDA

View Full Version : New Town Role - Reporter

kyle1234513
July 7th, 2013, 08:16 PM
name - reporter
alignment - town
grouping - town investigative
investigator message - your target is an invest/reporter/consig/disguiser
abilities - select one group at night and report what happens to the selected group in the morning day chat.
these messages would appear when death descriptions are being handed out.
(max number of reports 2/3/4) default - none

groups would be players 1-3(1), 4-6(2), 7-9(3), 10-12(4), 13-15(5)

a reporter reports what happens to all the targets, and therefore happens last in OoO.

the reporter selects group 1, the reporter doesn't die, so during death descriptions everyone will see that "someone has been roleblocked, investigated, watched, healed, converted, framed, driven, gas'd, jailed" (just the members of group 1) and detection immune roles aren't reported. so framer or arson may or may not be unnoticed. but if victim knows he has been doused is on, it will report the dousing or the framing. town will also see how many of each happen, so if 1 and 3 were roleblocked town will see 2 roleblock messeges. and if the reporter is roleblocked or jailed then no messages occur.

if a member of the group is dead, ie player 2 was dead, then only 1 and 3 would be reported for the night.

pros - town knows which roles can exist, reporter can easily confirm or disprove what scum is lieing for eachother, or if he was in fact healed or blocked.
cons - town doesn't know which of the groupings the reporter selected.

yzb25
July 8th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I don't like the idea of him announcing his findings at the break of dawn, it's just another auto-confirmed role / lynching both vet claims to kill the evil.

And sorry if I misread and you said this, but does it say who had what? For example, would it say <player 1 was witched> or just the general group? <someone in group one was investigated, another was jailed, and another was witched>. And what if some crazy crap happens and 3 things are done to each of the 3 players? 9 messages? There could potentially be 11 messages at once.

Voss
July 8th, 2013, 12:50 AM
what would make this role way more balanced is to just have it for one person. but even then its similar to a lookout.

kyle1234513
July 8th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I don't like the idea of him announcing his findings at the break of dawn, it's just another auto-confirmed role / lynching both vet claims to kill the evil.

And sorry if I misread and you said this, but does it say who had what? For example, would it say <player 1 was witched> or just the general group? <someone in group one was investigated, another was jailed, and another was witched>. And what if some crazy crap happens and 3 things are done to each of the 3 players? 9 messages? There could potentially be 11 messages at once.

to the town. "someone was witched" "someone was roleblocked" "someone was followed"

reporter sees the same thing, but reporter at least knows the narrow group of who it happened too.

edit - I would also like to add that this role is more to assign what roles exist in the room, moreso than to assign "this player is a killer" "this person could be these things". the option to assign roles is possible for the reporter, however it is more difficult.

and also if you guys feel this is an auto confirmable role, how do guys think that?

yzb25
July 8th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Huh I'm warming to the idea, especially if the town doesn't no the group it came from so the reporter would have to reveal to show someone up as a liar.

It's an auto-confirm role in the same way a vigilante or a jailor is. Even though you can't be 100% sure, once you see the morning message, you can just lynch / check the reporter claims to find out which one is the real one. And most evils aren't ballsy enough to claim a confirmed role like veteran unless it's an endgame scenario - and claiming vigilante in an endgame scenario often is just as effective as claiming doctor because who the town chooses in an endgame scenario usually just relies on which one comes across as more suspicious.

But still, an extra auto-confirm role can't kill a guy xD. If marshal can make the cut, this should be able to, too.

Voss
July 8th, 2013, 09:04 AM
can someone explain how this guy is autoconfirmable?

kyle1234513
July 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM
can someone explain how this guy is autoconfirmable?

a reporter would claim, say which group he selected, and state what happened to the group. players in the group would then confirm or deny what happened to them. that's the only way reporter could be confirmed. with the help of the group.

same getup as a bus driver, " I swapd 4+10 n1, 6+8n2, 7+3n3 " and those players would either confirm or deny it.

edit - could also say something like "tomorrow I will report this group" and there will be a report, or no report the following day.

eezstreet
July 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM
maybe the reporter messages shouldn't be broadcast.
Either way, it isn't autoconfirmable per se, because the group you're targetting could always deny your claim.
This raises an interesting point though. What happens if the reporter is witched?

kyle1234513
July 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
maybe the reporter messages shouldn't be broadcast.
Either way, it isn't autoconfirmable per se, because the group you're targetting could always deny your claim.
This raises an interesting point though. What happens if the reporter is witched?

a reporter may or may not be alerted depending on witch setting. but whoever the reporter is witched too they will report the group that the player is in. like reporter gets witched to player 7, then reporter reports what happens to all of group 3 (whoever is alive, or perhaps just player 7)

Damus_Graves
July 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
OP Lookout.
No

eezstreet
July 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM
That might work. I like the concept of reporting what goes on in a select group of players though. It's a decent idea and could help the town win and determine who is telling the truth.
It'd really be better if reporter reports weren't announced to town. That'll make it harder to determine whether to trust the reporter.

kyle1234513
July 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
OP Lookout.
No

if it were a lookout then it could have detection immunity detection(reporter does not), and would report names with it.
lookout sees names only. not actions. this is entirely different from a lookout.

Damus_Graves
July 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM
if it were a lookout then it could have detection immunity detection(reporter does not), and would report names with it.
lookout sees names only. not actions. this is entirely different from a lookout.

Its either a Nerfed Lookout. Or an OP Lookout. Either way its practically a copy of another role in the game and No is No for that,

kyle1234513
July 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Its either a Nerfed Lookout. Or an OP Lookout. Either way its practically a copy of another role in the game and No is No for that,

what are you not getting here. names =/= actions.
this is like sheriff vs invest. one checks roles, the other checks roles, oh look theyre exactly the same >.>

edit - damus I again refer you to names vs actions. alignment vs role. theyre both totally different.

Damus_Graves
July 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM
what are you not getting here. names =/= actions.
this is like sheriff vs invest. one checks roles, the other checks roles, oh look theyre exactly the same >.>

One checks alignments and one checks roles. Nice try however :p

What you are not getting here is that this role is almost an exact copy of lookout.