PDA

View Full Version : New Town Role Idea: Mole

thisismyname
May 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Objective: You are a town police informant infiltrating the mafia with the objective of tipping off the sheriff to mafia attacks.

Description: This is a town role that hangs with the mafia at night, does NOT know that names of the mafia members or can see who the mafia targets, but can hear all mafia chat, and appears as a “Consigliere”, “Framer”, or “Janitor” at random to the mafia. Obviously, this role could only be selected with a “Random Any” or the mafia would automatically know who’s a rat. The mafia can choose to knock off a suspected Mole at night without losing a Mafioso hit, at its own risk. You are to stay alive as long as possible. The mafia would have to be aware of the possibility of a Mole.

Night Ability: The Mole’s night ability includes targeting someone to cover. If the mafia selects that target at night, the information about HOW the target was attacked gets immediately relayed at night to town sheriffs.
Example situation: The mafia talks about killing “Rebecca Black” at night. The Mole plays dumb and says “cool, I’ll frame her or clean her up”, or something. The mafia attack “Rebecca Black”, but she survives from a doctor. A message stating “Rebecca Black was attacked by “Justin Bieber” is transmitted to the town sheriffs. The sheriff could lie and say he inspected “Justin Bieber” as mafia so to spare the life of the Mole.

Am I on to something here…or no? Keep in mind, the mafia could exterminate the Mole immediately and prevent a last will so as to keep the role from being overpowered.

Faceless
May 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I have a feeling the Mafia in charge of the killing would just wait until the very last second to make their moves, or just not talk at all. It's pretty rare for the Mafia to talk in the first place.

Also, this would mean that the Mafia would have to be able to kill other mafia (I think?) which would give birth to a whole new kind of troll.

Other than the potential that lame strategies or idiotic people could ruin the fun, this role sounds fun but I bet it'd be damned hard for DR to implement.

Mysterymeat
May 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
the talking to the mafia seems kinda like spy basically and mafia would know at once if there was a mole. If there was 3 mafia selected and now there's 4, obviously there is a mole.... Oh pretty much he couldn't be janitor as if gf tell him to clean up a body and next day it was showed then obviously he's the mole. Finally, this mafia being able to kill mole thing... Well that would cause lot of confusion and allow mafia to kill themsleves which is not a good idea. The only part I see that could work is the reporting stuff to sheriff, although that might be op as that gives sheriff more chance of catching mafia.

thisismyname
May 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
the talking to the mafia seems kinda like spy basically and mafia would know at once if there was a mole. If there was 3 mafia selected and now there's 4, obviously there is a mole.... Oh pretty much he couldn't be janitor as if gf tell him to clean up a body and next day it was showed then obviously he's the mole. Finally, this mafia being able to kill mole thing... Well that would cause lot of confusion and allow mafia to kill themsleves which is not a good idea. The only part I see that could work is the reporting stuff to sheriff, although that might be op as that gives sheriff more chance of catching mafia.

I kind of envisioned the role as a support role to the sheriff. I'm not sure it would be OP. It would be somewhat useless if the sheriff was dead, though.

Like I mentioned before, the role could only be selected through a Random Any to avoid automatic detection by the mafia. The mafia would have to find out whether the Random Any was a legit Mafia member or a Mole. I agree that Janitor wouldn't work well as a fake, though.

The role would need some fine tuning from my original description, but I just think the idea of a rat in the Mafia could be realized somehow.

Sarzael
May 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Uhm... Maybe you can only add a mole in the save slot when one person, and when more people is there, it will be showed as Random Mafia instead.

Teckman
May 12th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I like the idea of a mafia traitor type role. I think you are on to something here but as written it's too strong for the town. If I am reading you correctly that the mole gets to transmit the identity of a mafia member to a sheriff every night that a kill is attempted. You can play with this a bit but I suspect usurper will be the traitor type of role that gets selected. I think there is potential to this idea though.

thisismyname
May 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I like the idea of a mafia traitor type role. I think you are on to something here but as written it's too strong for the town. If I am reading you correctly that the mole gets to transmit the identity of a mafia member to a sheriff every night that a kill is attempted. You can play with this a bit but I suspect usurper will be the traitor type of role that gets selected. I think there is potential to this idea though.

The Mole would have to select the correct person that is targeted by the Mafia in order to leak the info to the sheriff.

Maybe this ability would be a little more balanced if the only information leaked to the sheriff is "what" happened to the target, and not who. For example, the sheriff could know that "Player A" was attacked and healed by a doctor. Then, if someone else the next day claims they were attacked and healed, but there is only one doctor, the sheriff could call him out.