PDA

View Full Version : Part 6: Mendoza, Argentina

FM Ferengi
May 30th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Part 6: Mendoza, Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDbK2plvqw

The Cylons were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies. And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters. After a long and bloody struggle, an armistice was declared and the Cylons left for another world to call their own.

Forty years later, they returned, and brought humanity to the brink of extinction. The remaining humans, led by the crew of the Battlestar Galactica, fled in hopes of finding a new home, one known by legend as Earth.

Humanity’s only hope lies in finding Earth’s location while fighting off the unrelenting Cylons. But as resources run low, it is discovered that the enemy can now appear human and has infiltrated the fleet from the inside.

-------------------------------------------------

Resources -
Morale - 11
Food - 9
Water - 9
Population - 33

Fleet Marker -
(||............................)

President - FM Bishop
Admiral - FM Combo

-------------------------------------------------

Links:
Setup: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19732-Battlestar-Galactica-The-FM-18-Reserve-Dead-Chat-Puzzle-Game
FAQ: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19735-FAQ

List of Players:
FM Walter
FM Skyler
FM Hank
FM Marie
FM Flynn
FM Saul
FM Gustavo
FM Mike
FM Gale
FM Holly
FM Badger
FM Ted
FM Krazy 8
FM Combo
FM Hector
FM Tuco
FM Pete
FM Jane
FM Gage
FM Bishop
FM Becket
FM Cohen
FM Morgan
FM Colmyer
FM Biggs
FM Ballard
FM Bekowsky
FM Hogeboom
FM Monroe

FM Ferengi
May 30th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Crisis Phase - Mendoza, Argentina

Oh god. Cylons.
They're already here.

FM Kara Thrace swore as she pulled on her pilot uniform and ran to the launch deck. There would be no time to do much of anything besides prep for the next jump. The fleet would have to skip electing a new president, vice president, and admiral due to the extreme emergency at hand.

FM Boomer was flying a scout raptor in the area and found the next clue on the road to earth. Would they be able to crack the puzzle before the Cylons?

As always, there are three parts to this puzzle.

The first part is a clue to the theme of the puzzle:
http://imgur.com/st7fxSA

The second part will give a city, country:
http://imgur.com/hxtyI1q

And the third part will give part of the recipe:
70, 37, 50, 208, 116, 2, 174, 85, 55, 290, 15, 1, 174, 3, 74, 60, 174

Remember these updates to the rules:

1. Crisis phases will be ~72 hours with pre-set-hints coming out every ~24 hours. Each pre-set-hint will cost the fleet 2 morale, 2 food, and 2 water.

2. If the answers provided in some of the pre-set-hints have been posted in daychat, then no resources are deducted from the fleet and the player who posted the solution will have the option to choose to regain +1 of any resource.

3. If a cylon PMs me with parts of the puzzle solution that are to be revealed in pre-set-hints before it is posted in daychat, the cylon will gain a charge of his ability to remove 24 hours from the upcoming crisis phase. Cylons can store up to 2 charges at a time, and a maximum of 48 hours may be removed from each crisis phase.

4. If a cylon -reveals as a cylon at the end of a setup phase (and he is not in the brig), he will gain an automatic +2 charge of the ability listed above in addition to entering a private chat with other cylons.

5. Not solving a puzzle will result in a -5 to morale, -4 to food, and -4 to water.

This crisis phase will last ~72 hours with pre-set hints set to trigger approximately every 24 hours.

FM Buchwalter
May 30th, 2013, 03:32 AM
A2 A1 J3 Q5 A9 P1 Q3 P1 P1 Q3 P6 M2 A2 A4 G1 A1 P6

S A2/A10/P4
A A1/A1 /A1
L A9/P7 /J3
T Q5/A8 /T1
N Z6/A9 /M2
P Q10/P1/ P1
E Q3/A3 /D2
P Q10/P1/ P1
P Q10/P1 /P1
E Q3/A3 /D2
R Q4/P6/P3
N Z6/A9/M2
S A2/A10/P4
U Q7/A4/T2
G A5/P4/G1
A A1/A1/A1
R Q4/P6/P3
Damn!

I did nearly figure that last one out, but got confused when I got to P6, as my keyboard is not made that way and did not give me "R".
Thinking i had the wrong idea i gave up, sigh.

Anyway, I like this song better then the intro song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUchAD44xA8

FM Ferengi
May 30th, 2013, 04:10 AM
The next puzzle has been posted! Sorry for the poorly drawn figures in paint. x___X

FM Buchwalter
May 30th, 2013, 04:25 AM
The first part is a clue to the theme of the puzzle:
http://imgur.com/st7fxSA

It is not the Standard Galactic Alphabet.

Let me think more on this.

FM Monroe
May 30th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Could be positions on a keypad. With dots being +10

1 19 4 5 14 9 2 6 16 12 13

If you look at what symbols they correspond with in image 2 you get
Moon on a stick
Tuning fork
Moon on a stick over water
Shuriken
Microchip
Crab
Dragonfly
Molecule
Eye
Moon
Gem

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever :p

FM Buchwalter
May 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Could be positions on a keypad. With dots being +10

If you look at what symbols they correspond with in image 2 you get

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever :p

As far as I understand, the first part of the puzzle will help us solve the rest. So focus on the first part first.

http://i.imgur.com/st7fxSA.jpg

I have been staring at Code Alphabets all day, and all I can tell you is that it is not the Standard Galactic Alphabet.

FM Buchwalter
May 30th, 2013, 01:44 PM
/http://i.imgur.com/st7fxSA.jpg

I have been staring at Code Alphabets all day, and all I can tell you is that it is not the Standard Galactic Alphabet.

On the other hand, it may not be a Code Alphabet at all, as none of the symbols are repeated. I would think that if this was a Code Alphabet that at least one symbol would show more then once.

FM Colmyer
May 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Actually...

Think of those as Tic tac toe grids, I'm at work and have limited resources, so sorry for the shitty graphs.

A B C

D E F

G H I

With Dots in the middle
J K L

M N O

P Q R

\ T /
\ /
S X U
/ \
/ V \

With Dots in the middle
\ X /
\ /
W X Y
/ \
/ Z \

AR SEMIT FOXL?

Probably on the right track, maybe just need a different letter placement in the grid or something, I need to get back to work so I can't work more on this.

FM Monroe
May 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
It does look like a keypad/grid.

I couldn't figure out what the > < were, but that might be it.

Maybe it's letters.

FM Colmyer
May 30th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I am pretty certain that the grid is correct (2x9, 2x4) like this.

We just need to figure out if the letters are correct, that's the ''standard'' for the code I believe.

FM Monroe
May 30th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't the first letter be at the top instead of on the left in the final groups, like on a clock?

That would give AR VEMIS FOWL

Still doesn't look like anything I guess :p

FM Monroe
May 30th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Actually...

Think of those as Tic tac toe grids, I'm at work and have limited resources, so sorry for the shitty graphs.

A B C

D E F

G H I

\ J /
\ /
M X K
/ \
/ L \

With Dots in the middle
N O P

Q R S

T U V

\ W /
\ /
Z X X
/ \
/ Y \

AV MEQIJ FSWP? Nah.

FM Colmyer
May 30th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Artemis Fowl.

That's a book series of science fiction novels.

Dunn
May 30th, 2013, 08:13 PM
What the fuck is this?
Also, Parker is an idiot, but we can get to that later.
Puzzles!?

FM Colmyer
May 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM
By the way, since Combo and Bishop aren't showing up, we might want to vote for someone else tomorrow.

Also:
There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)
FM Colmyer*, FM Dunn

Welp, welcome, Dunn. :)

What role were you? I really want to know!

And yes, It's a mini-game for dead people and reserves. Go read the setup and FAQ!

FM Colmyer
May 30th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Second puzzle:
MALMESBURY
SOUTH
AFRICA

Dunn
May 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
By the way, since Combo and Bishop aren't showing up, we might want to vote for someone else tomorrow.

Also:
There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)
FM Colmyer*, FM Dunn

Welp, welcome, Dunn. :)

What role were you? I really want to know!

And yes, It's a mini-game for dead people and reserves. Go read the setup and FAQ!

Did you... not read the day? lol

FM Colmyer
May 30th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Wouldn't the first letter be at the top instead of on the left in the final groups, like on a clock?

That would give AR VEMIS FOWL

Still doesn't look like anything I guess :p

You were right; but it was a T instead of a V ;)

For the second puzzle, it was encrypted using the Gnommish code.
http://artemisfowl.fangathering.com/pictures/Code_Gnommish.gif

@Dunn

Yes and no. I've been insanely busy with work, and since I'm dead, I don't pay much attention to the game. You revealed as Mafia or something? I like... half-read the day.

Dunn
May 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM
moving to dead chat..

FM Buchwalter
May 30th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Yea. Revealed as Kidnapper. Freaking laid out math that the Town needed to follow to maximize chance of win. They decided to fuck that.
Well, this is my first FM dead chat >:)

This is not the death chat, this is: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/234-Dead-Chat

This is the mini puzzle game, so please bring all FM related talk there ^.

Actually...

A B C

D E F

G H I

With Dots in the middle
J K L

M N O

P Q R

\ T /
\ /
S X U
/ \
/ V \

With Dots in the middle
\ X /
\ /
W X Y
/ \
/ Z \

AR SEMIT FOXL?

Probably on the right track, maybe just need a different letter placement in the grid or something, I need to get back to work so I can't work more on this.

I'm not sure i understand totally what you are doing here, are you still working on the first part of the puzzle?

FM Colmyer
May 31st, 2013, 05:32 AM
Did you not read my other posts? Both the first and second part have been found.

This grid was almost right, just needed to rotate the letters from the two last grids clockwise once.

ARTEMIS FOWL.

And the second puzzle's answer is
MALMESBURY
SOUTH
AFRICA

o.o

FM Colmyer
May 31st, 2013, 05:39 AM
http://puu.sh/357yY.png

There you go. Do you get it now? :)

FM Buchwalter
May 31st, 2013, 06:25 AM
http://puu.sh/357yY.png

There you go. Do you get it now? :)

Ok i get it now, thanks!

Had asked my classmates and they wanted to know too. ^^;

FM Colmyer
May 31st, 2013, 08:40 AM
If I may ask, is the third puzzle related to Artemis Fowl too?

FM Ferengi
May 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM
If I may ask, is the third puzzle related to Artemis Fowl too?

Yes, all the puzzles are somehow related, at least in my mind. :)

FM Ferengi
May 31st, 2013, 10:16 AM
Triggered Hint #1:

Artemis Fowl.

That's a book series of science fiction novels.

Fm Gaius Baltar congratulated FM Colmyer. What an astute observation! Yes, I believe the theme of this puzzle is Artemis Fowl. But who is Artemis Fowl? What is an Artemis Fowl?

FM Colmyer can choose to regain a resource of his choice!

FM Ferengi
May 31st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Triggered Hint #2:

Did you not read my other posts? Both the first and second part have been found.

This grid was almost right, just needed to rotate the letters from the two last grids clockwise once.

ARTEMIS FOWL.

And the second puzzle's answer is
MALMESBURY
SOUTH
AFRICA

o.o

Ah yes, the Gnommish code. Well done sir FM Colmyer. You may choose to regain +1 to any resource.

Now how to solve the third part? The second puzzle references the code text written at the bottom of the first book. I wonder if this code text will help make sense of the numbers of the third puzzle.

FM Colmyer
May 31st, 2013, 11:55 AM
From what I've seen in this preview
http://books.google.ca/books?id=D9TKSKS74MwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=artemis+fowl+google+book+1&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TvCoUbXaEq7siwL2-oDwCA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
From page 3 onwards, there is a code at the bottom of each page.
My guess is that the numbers represents at which page to look for, then we'll need to decode the code on that specific page, then we can probably get the answer from that with something like the first letter or something.
I take it the 1/2/ in the puzzle means spaces, since there are no codes on these pages. It beings at page 3.

I need to get my hands on a copy of the book now, if someone finds a link online or something, do tell.
Back to work now, I have a meeting in a few minutes.

FM Colmyer
May 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Nevermind, you don't need to get the full book. Would be silly to make us buy it or something for a puzzle, apparently Google is our friend.

I'll work on this when I'm home. Come on guys! :I

FM Colmyer
May 31st, 2013, 02:35 PM
Also,
+1 to Food, +1 to Water.

FM Ferengi
May 31st, 2013, 05:28 PM
Also,
+1 to Food, +1 to Water.

It has been done!

FM Ferengi
June 1st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Population +3 with the addition of FM Dunn, FM Black, and FM Cafarelli.

FYI, this part expires ~9-10 hours (or when I wake up in the morning).

FM Buchwalter
June 2nd, 2013, 05:19 AM
And the third part will give part of the recipe:
70, 37, 50, 208, 116, 2, 174, 85, 55, 290, 15, 1, 174, 3, 74, 60, 174

Ok, I do not see how this will work with Artemis Fowl. I do not think it has to do with page numbers, even more so as the version of the book i heard was not in English.

FM Cafarelli
June 2nd, 2013, 05:25 AM
oh i can post here, cool
i also got a role lol^^

so first of all i'd like to say hi. i'm the new guy. since i'm new i dont know what to do yet. i need to explore this new world first

FM Cafarelli
June 2nd, 2013, 05:27 AM
dafuq guys we're running out of food and water...

FM Ferengi
June 2nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
End Part 6:

The fleet could not solve the third part of the puzzle. (-5 morale, -4 food, -4 water)

FM Gaius Baltar used his lab's supercomputer to find a solution, but it took a lot of resources.

Solution to the Third Part:

The third part's code was a Beale cipher! This is a cipher that uses numbers to indicate the first letter of a numbered word in some sourcetext. The first and second parts of the puzzle pointed you towards the gnommish code from the Artemis Fowl Books. Some simple googling will show that there is a code at the bottom of the Artemis Fowl book, and more googling will give you the code text.

Using the 70th word of the translated gnommish code text, you get: s
Using the 37th word, you get: t
etc, etc....

to get "stirsandputinoven" as the next line of the recipe.