PDA

View Full Version : Part 5: Mbour, Senegal

FM Ferengi
May 26th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Part 5: Mbour, Senegal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDbK2plvqw

The Cylons were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies. And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters. After a long and bloody struggle, an armistice was declared and the Cylons left for another world to call their own.

Forty years later, they returned, and brought humanity to the brink of extinction. The remaining humans, led by the crew of the Battlestar Galactica, fled in hopes of finding a new home, one known by legend as Earth.

Humanity’s only hope lies in finding Earth’s location while fighting off the unrelenting Cylons. But as resources run low, it is discovered that the enemy can now appear human and has infiltrated the fleet from the inside.

-------------------------------------------------

Resources -
Morale - 16
Food - 12
Water - 12
Population - 30

Fleet Marker -
(||............................)

President - FM Bishop
Admiral - FM Combo

Links:
Setup: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19732-Battlestar-Galactica-The-FM-18-Reserve-Dead-Chat-Puzzle-Game
FAQ: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19735-FAQ

Setup Phase: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20442-Part-5-Mbour-Senegal?p=326193&viewfull=1#post326193
Crisis Phase: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20442-Part-5-Mbour-Senegal?p=327003&viewfull=1#post327003
Pre-set Hint #1: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20442-Part-5-Mbour-Senegal?p=327105&viewfull=1#post327105

List of Players:
FM Walter
FM Skyler
FM Hank
FM Marie
FM Flynn
FM Saul
FM Gustavo
FM Mike
FM Gale
FM Holly
FM Badger
FM Ted
FM Krazy 8
FM Combo
FM Hector
FM Tuco
FM Pete
FM Jane
FM Gage
FM Bishop
FM Becket
FM Cohen
FM Morgan
FM Colmyer
FM Biggs
FM Ballard
FM Bekowsky
FM Hogeboom
FM Monroe

FM Ferengi
May 26th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Part 5: Mbour, Senegal - Setup Phase

FM Combo, Admiral of the fleet had safely arrived at the next location in uncharted space.

FM Bishop welcomed FM Ballard and FM Bekowsky who were found on an abandoned ship floating in space. (+2 to population)

Setup Phase:
During this Setup Phase, cast your votes to re-elect a President and re-elect an Admiral by typing

-vote playername for President
-vote playername for Admiral

Vote count will be manual, and the player with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the role will be given to the player who reached the tie amount of votes first.

The President has been PM'ed an individual puzzle. If he correctly solves this puzzle, then the fleet will be able to gain additional resources.

The Admiral may -throw [player] in the Brig in order to jail a player and prevent them from working on this part's crisis puzzle. The jailed player must complete an individual puzzle to be released at the beginning of the next setup phase.

Repost of new rules:

1. Crisis phases will be ~72 hours with pre-set-hints coming out every ~24 hours. Each pre-set-hint will cost the fleet 1 morale, 1 food, and 1 water.

2. If the answers provided in some of the pre-set-hints have been posted in daychat, then no resources are deducted from the fleet and the player who posted the solution will have the option to choose to regain +1 of any resource.

3. If a cylon PMs me with parts of the puzzle solution that are to be revealed in pre-set-hints before it is posted in daychat, the cylon will gain a charge of his ability to remove 24 hours from the upcoming crisis phase. Cylons can store up to 2 charges at a time, and a maximum of 48 hours may be removed from each crisis phase.

4. If a cylon -reveals as a cylon at the end of a setup phase (and he is not in the brig), he will gain an automatic +2 charge of the ability listed above in addition to entering a private chat with other cylons.

5. Not solving a puzzle will result in a -5 to morale, -4 to food, and -4 to water.

Questions may be asked in green or PM'ed to Switzerland.

The Setup Phase ends at this time: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=may+27%2C+2013+1+am+PST

FM Bishop
May 26th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I know we faced some serious losses during our last jump, but I will do everything in my power to prevent those from happening again. On the bright side, I managed to put my hands on some new technology to make life on the ship more accommodating. I hope you'll enjoy your brand new beta blocker controler.
UPWARDS WE GO MORALE!
-vote Bishop for President
-vote Combo for Admiral

FM Ferengi
May 26th, 2013, 05:05 AM
FM Bishop has successfully completed his puzzle as President of the fleet. He may choose to gain +1 to any resource.

FM Bishop
May 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM
UPWARDS WE GO MORALE!
WE SHALL NOT FALTER IN FACE OF PAIN AND DESPAIR!

FM Ballard
May 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM
New recruit here! Look at all these Breaking Bad players on the list :D

FM Colmyer
May 26th, 2013, 01:36 PM
-vote Bishop for President
-vote Combo for Admiral

Meh. Sorry I couldn't help more. Ended up being quite busy.

FM Ferengi
May 27th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Vote Tally:

President:
FM Bishop (2): FM Bishop, FM Colmyer

Admiral:
FM Combo (2): FM Bishop, FM Colmyer

FM Bishop has been re-elected President of the Twelve Colonies.
FM Combo has been re-elected Admiral of the fleet.

FM Ferengi
May 27th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Crisis Phase - Mbour, Senegal:

After jumping to the new location, FM Lee Adama retrieved another clue to the road to Earth. Inside a small capsule was another audio file, and a piece of paper with a code.

http://snd.sc/16XixCp

A2A1J3Q5A9 P1Q3P1P1Q3P6M2A2A4G1A1P6

Remember these updates to the rules:

1. Crisis phases will be ~72 hours with pre-set-hints coming out every ~24 hours. Each pre-set-hint will cost the fleet 1 morale, 1 food, and 1 water.

2. If the answers provided in some of the pre-set-hints have been posted in daychat, then no resources are deducted from the fleet and the player who posted the solution will have the option to choose to regain +1 of any resource.

3. If a cylon PMs me with parts of the puzzle solution that are to be revealed in pre-set-hints before it is posted in daychat, the cylon will gain a charge of his ability to remove 24 hours from the upcoming crisis phase. Cylons can store up to 2 charges at a time, and a maximum of 48 hours may be removed from each crisis phase.

4. If a cylon -reveals as a cylon at the end of a setup phase (and he is not in the brig), he will gain an automatic +2 charge of the ability listed above in addition to entering a private chat with other cylons.

5. Not solving a puzzle will result in a -5 to morale, -4 to food, and -4 to water.

This crisis phase will last ~72 hours with pre-set hints set to trigger approximately every 24 hours.

FM Bishop
May 27th, 2013, 03:00 AM
That kina sounds like morse with duration of beeps and pauses getting shorter over time.
The PR looks out of place when every other combination is a letter and a digit.

FM Ferengi
May 27th, 2013, 04:05 AM
That kina sounds like morse with duration of beeps and pauses getting shorter over time.
The PR looks out of place when every other combination is a letter and a digit.

x_____x That was an error. Fixed now! :p

FM Bishop
May 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Okay, the morse sounds like morse and doesn't get any faster. My phone fucked that up.

FM Bishop
May 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Morse code:
"The answer is at your fingertips"

FM Ferengi
May 27th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Triggered Pre-Set Hint #1:

Morse code:
"The answer is at your fingertips"

FM Gaius Baltar was pleased. Yes, FM Bishop, you are correct! But whatever can this mean!? The answer is at our fingertips? This must have something to do with the theme of this puzzle. Seems like the four different colors represent four different codes related to the theme.

FM Bishop may choose one resource to gain +1 to.

FM Bishop
May 27th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Morale! There can't be enough of it.
I looked into fingerspelling, but I don't see anyway to convert it into the format of what remains of the puzzle. It's not tap code either.

I think we should try to pin down the exact theme of this puzzle.
There is the Morse code which could hint that the codes are related or a variant of it.
And the other one is the translation of the morse code "The answer is at your fingertips".
Morse code is classically encoded by using a "straight key" operated by fingertips. Maybe the other codes are related to finger positions.
I'd like to hear some input from you.

FM Ferengi
May 28th, 2013, 01:51 AM
+1 has been added to morale as FM Bishop's reward.
+1 has been added to population with the addition of FM Buchwalter to the fleet.

FM Buchwalter
May 28th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Hello my fellow fleetees.

FM Ferengi
May 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Game Event:

+2 to population (FM Hogeboom and FM Monroe)

12 Players have died in FM 18 meaning that it's time for a second round of Loyalty cards. Have you awoken as a Cylon, or did you remain human?

Note: Holding any number of cylon loyalty cards means that you are cylon aligned. If you hold only human loyalty cards you are a human.

FM Ferengi
May 29th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Pre-Set Hint #2:

"The answer is at your fingertips..." FM Gaius Baltar looked down at his hands and got a brilliant idea. I wonder if these numbers could correspond to something on a keyboard....

After some looking about, he realized that if you count down keyboard diagonals starting at the numbers given, you come up with the solution:

M 7777
E 33
N 6666
D 333
O 99
Z 1111
A 111
A 111
R 44
G 555
E 33
N 6666
T 55
I 88
N 6666
A 111

FM Gaius Baltar is a bit too lazy to diagram out his whole solution, but he will do so if popular demand requests it.

The fleet loses -2 morale, -2 food, -2 water for not solving this part of the puzzle in time. From here on out, the fleet will lose -2 morale/food/water for failing to solve pre-set hints due to the heightened stakes.

FM Buchwalter
May 29th, 2013, 01:44 AM
solution:

M 7777
E 33
N 6666
D 333
O 99
Z 1111
A 111
A 111
R 44
G 555
E 33
N 6666
T 55
I 88
N 6666
A 111

MEN DO ZA ARGENT IN A

???

FM Bishop
May 29th, 2013, 02:14 AM
The solution in question is Mendoza, Argentina.

FM Buchwalter
May 29th, 2013, 05:33 AM

Let me think on this.

FM Hogeboom
May 29th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Hi guys, don't feel like playing this lol. Is this a problem? I sure as hell hope not..

FM Bishop
May 29th, 2013, 08:47 AM
You are welcome aboard! Puzzle straight away!
I'm on a boradgame session tonight, but I will definitely juggle around with the puzzle before I go to bed.

FM Monroe
May 29th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I don't even know what the puzzle is at this point. Didn't Switzerland just spell out the answer right in front of us?

Most of these puzzles also seem quite hard to me because you basically have to search for your own hints, and if you don't know much about a certain subject you'll get stuck really quickly.

FM Ferengi
May 29th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hi guys, don't feel like playing this lol. Is this a problem? I sure as hell hope not..

That's really not a problem at all. Just ignore this subforum if you wish. I just wanted to run a completely optional puzzle game in deadchat. :)

I don't even know what the puzzle is at this point. Didn't Switzerland just spell out the answer right in front of us?

Most of these puzzles also seem quite hard to me because you basically have to search for your own hints, and if you don't know much about a certain subject you'll get stuck really quickly.

Maybe I wasn't very good about spelling things out clearly for the new people:

This part of the puzzle has three components that need to be solved:
-The first one (solved by FM Bishop) was decoding morse code in the audio file that led to a clue about the theme of the puzzle.
-The second one (unsolved) gave the "city, country" that is part of each puzzle solution. The time expired on solving this puzzle, so it was revealed in the RP to be Mendoza, Argentina.
-The third puzzle (expires in ~12 hours) is part of a "recipe".

Each puzzle will loosely follow this format.

You are encouraged to collaborate, use google/wikipedia, or any other code solving resources you might have available to you.

The last remaining part of this puzzle is this sequence of letters and numbers:

FM Monroe
May 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Made a grid (letters horizontal and numbers vertical) and connected the points in the given sequence. It doesn't really look like anything, though it leaves no lines unconnected because both A2 and P6 occur more than once in the sequence.

When I connected points based on colours, the 3 shapes looked even less like anything, though all of them do touch or intersect at some points.

Teal overlaps blue at A1 A2 and intersects blue at K4, M3, P3 and P5.
Teal intersects purple at K3.
Blue touches purple at P1 only.

This doesn't look like it means anything though.

FM Ferengi
May 30th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Pre-set hint #3:

FM Gaius Baltar looked up from his computer. "I've solved it! I've solved the rest of the puzzle!"

The code reads "salt n pepper n sugar" and the answer is at your fingertips... with a qwerty keyboard, dvorak keyboard, and a telephone keypad. Start at the letter listed and count to the right as many positions as is listed in the code. For the telephone keypad, press the number of the letter a certain number of times to get the correct code letter.

qwerty/dvorak/phone

S A2/A10/P4
A A1/A1 /A1
L A9/P7 /J3
T Q5/A8 /T1
N Z6/A9 /M2
P Q10/P1/ P1
E Q3/A3 /D2
P Q10/P1/ P1
P Q10/P1 /P1
E Q3/A3 /D2
R Q4/P6/P3
N Z6/A9/M2
S A2/A10/P4
U Q7/A4/T2
G A5/P4/G1
A A1/A1/A1
R Q4/P6/P3

The fleet loses -5 morale, -4 food, and -4 health for not solving this part of the puzzle.