PDA

View Full Version : Part 3: Munich, Germany

FM Ferengi
May 17th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Part 3: Munich, Germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDbK2plvqw

The Cylons were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies. And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters. After a long and bloody struggle, an armistice was declared and the Cylons left for another world to call their own.

Forty years later, they returned, and brought humanity to the brink of extinction. The remaining humans, led by the crew of the Battlestar Galactica, fled in hopes of finding a new home, one known by legend as Earth.

Humanity’s only hope lies in finding Earth’s location while fighting off the unrelenting Cylons. But as resources run low, it is discovered that the enemy can now appear human and has infiltrated the fleet from the inside.

-------------------------------------------------

Resources -
Morale - 20
Food - 19
Water - 19
Population - 21

Fleet Marker -
(....................||........)

President - FM Bishop
Admiral - FM Combo

Links:
Setup: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19732-Battlestar-Galactica-The-FM-18-Reserve-Dead-Chat-Puzzle-Game
FAQ: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19735-FAQ

Setup Phase: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20145-Part-3-Munich-Germany?p=321769&viewfull=1#post321769
Crisis Phase: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20145-Part-3-Munich-Germany?p=322331&viewfull=1#post322331
Pre-set hint #1: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20145-Part-3-Munich-Germany?p=322605&viewfull=1#post322605
Pre-set hint #2: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/20145-Part-3-Munich-Germany?p=322613&viewfull=1#post322613

List of Players:
FM Walter
FM Skyler
FM Hank
FM Marie
FM Flynn
FM Saul
FM Gustavo
FM Mike
FM Gale
FM Holly
FM Badger
FM Ted
FM Krazy 8
FM Combo
FM Hector
FM Tuco
FM Pete
FM Jane
FM Gage
FM Bishop
FM Becket

FM Ferengi
May 17th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Part 3: Munich, Germany - Setup Phase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpq8QIh5CYM

FM Combo, Admiral of the fleet had safely arrived at the next location in uncharted space.

There were a few moments of calm, so what better to do than to hold an election!

Welcome to FM Becket who was rescued from a lost raptor. (+1 to population)

Setup Phase:
During this Setup Phase, cast your votes to re-elect a President and re-elect an Admiral by typing

-vote playername for President
-vote playername for Admiral

Vote count will be manual, and the player with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the role will be given to the player who reached the tie amount of votes first.

The President has been PM'ed an individual puzzle. If he correctly solves this puzzle, then the fleet will be able to gain additional resources.

The Admiral may -throw [player] in the Brig in order to jail a player and prevent them from working on this part's crisis puzzle. The jailed player must complete an individual puzzle to be released at the beginning of the next setup phase.

A few changes to the rules have been made to incentivize cooperation:

1. Crisis phases will be ~72 hours with pre-set-hints coming out every ~24 hours. Each pre-set-hint will cost the fleet 1 morale, 1 food, and 1 water.

2. If the answers provided in some of the pre-set-hints have been posted in daychat, then no resources are deducted from the fleet and the player who posted the solution will have the option to choose to regain +1 of any resource.

3. If a cylon PMs me with parts of the puzzle solution that are to be revealed in pre-set-hints before it is posted in daychat, the cylon will gain a charge of his ability to remove 24 hours from the upcoming crisis phase. Cylons can store up to 2 charges at a time, and a maximum of 48 hours may be removed from each crisis phase.

4. If a cylon -reveals as a cylon at the end of a setup phase (and he is not in the brig), he will gain an automatic +2 charge of the ability listed above in addition to entering a private chat with other cylons.

5. Not solving a puzzle will result in a -5 to morale, -4 to food, and -4 to water.

Questions may be asked in green or PM'ed to Switzerland.

The Setup Phase ends at this time: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=may+18%2C+2013+9+am+PST

FM Bishop
May 17th, 2013, 03:56 AM
-vote FM Bishop for President
-vote FM Combo for Admiral

Breaking of the power monopoly!

FM Combo
May 17th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I'd rather have stayed pres but whatever

-vote FM Combo for Admiral
-vote FM Bishop for El Presidente

FM Combo
May 17th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Good news: I know the method for my individual puzzle, I just need to do a little math once I get to work.

FM Combo
May 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Miscommunication between me and swiss T.T solved the puzzle.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Nice! I read the problem before it got edited away, but didn't come up with a solution quite yet.
What are we exactly trying to optimize? The number of moments in time we have to act and do something or the number of actions? Flipping both hourglasses at the beginning would count as 1 in the former and 2 in the latter scenario.
Actions I consider possible doing:
- Flipping an hourglass to reverse the remaining time
- Pausing an hourglass by flipping it sideways

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Nice! I read the problem before it got edited away, but didn't come up with a solution quite yet.
What are we exactly trying to optimize? The number of moments in time we have to act and do something or the number of actions? Flipping both hourglasses at the beginning would count as 1 in the former and 2 in the latter scenario.
Actions I consider possible doing:
- Flipping an hourglass to reverse the remaining time
- Pausing an hourglass by flipping it sideways

Here's a good explanation someone else made:
1) A + B start now

2) after 4 minutes turn both upside down. (and register 4 minutes)

A has one side full and the other empty
B has 3 minutes left in one side and 4 left in the other

3) after 3 minutes turn both upside down ( and register 3 minutes)

B has one side full and the other empty
A has one side with 1 minute left and the other with 3 minutes left

4) after 1 minute turn both upside down ( and register 1 minute)

now A has one side full and the other empty
B has one side with 1 minute left and the other with 6 minutes left

5)turn B upside down
after 1 minute..(register 1 minute )
B has one side empty and the other side full

now add : 4+3+1+1= 9

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Every flip is counted as an action, so the first double flip is 2.

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM
the miscommunication: I read 90 when she meant 9. made the problem a whole lot worse.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM
the miscommunication: I read 90 when she meant 9. made the problem a whole lot worse.
Does it actually make it worse? Is it even possible to get 90 minutes in less than 15 flips?

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Here's a good explanation someone else made:
1) A + B start now 2 flips

2) after 4 minutes turn both upside down. (and register 4 minutes) I think you meant to only flip A, not both - 1 flip

A has one side full and the other empty
B has 3 minutes left in one side and 4 left in the other

3) after 3 minutes turn both upside down ( and register 3 minutes) Here, too, I think you only meant to flip B and not both - 1 flip

B has one side full and the other empty
A has one side with 1 minute left and the other with 3 minutes left

4) after 1 minute turn both upside down ( and register 1 minute) Again, you only want to flip B - 1 flip

now A has one side full and the other empty
B has one side with 1 minute left and the other with 6 minutes left

5)turn B upside down Just wait until time runs out in B and you are done - 0 flip
after 1 minute..(register 1 minute )
B has one side empty and the other side full

now add : 4+3+1+1= 9
This proposed solution confuses the heck out of me.
For 9 minutes 5 should to be the minimum amount of flips needed.

A = 4 minute hourglass; B = 7 minute hourglass
Flip A and B.
When A runs out, flip A.
When B runs out, flip B.
When A runs out, flip B.
When B runs out, 9 minutes have passed.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Does it actually make it worse? Is it even possible to get 90 minutes in less than 15 flips?
I guess you meant that reading it as 90 minutes made it worse if the solution has to be lower than 15. Because that would be probably unsolvable.

FM Ferengi
May 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Crisis Phase

FM Boomer excitedly approached FM Combo. "President and Admiral, while doing rounds, we have found an unidentified item in space. It appears to be the next marker on the road to Earth."

FM Combo turned to FM Boomer and said, "Oh, haven't you heard? I'm still the Admiral, but FM Bishop has been elected president. Talk about separation of church and state!"

Together, they took the artifact down to FM Gaius Baltar's lab for analysis.

FM Gaius Baltar remarked, "Oh, another one of these. Well you know the drill: we're looking for a city and a country AND I believe another phrase similar to last part's 'add egg beef cabbage'."

FM Combo has been elected Admiral of the fleet.
FM Bishop has been elected President of the fleet.

FM Combo correctly solved his puzzle and may choose to regain +1 to any of the fleet's resources. (Please PM me with your selection).

--------

http://i42.tinypic.com/epnme0.png

sier x sm x tier x smti x ttpo = ttsi26letiodlele
erle x tttt x ttttle = ersierlele

(sier x ti) + (poer x po) + (ersm x er) + (tttt x po) + (erod x si) + (er26 x on) + (ttpo x po) + (ttlele x si) + (si x er) + (smod x on) = ttti26si
(tile x tt) + (ttlepo x po) + (sm x po) + (onle x er) + (sitt x si) + (od x si) + (oder x er) = odonle

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Despite being President now, I don't have security clearance to access the data. I'll overlook this as I just took the job, but Mr. Boomer please make sure it won't happen again.

FM Ferengi
May 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Despite being President now, I don't have security clearance to access the data. I'll overlook this as I just took the job, but Mr. Boomer please make sure it won't happen again.

That's strange, I thought your permissions had been edited so that this problem could be avoided.

In any case, I tried a few different ways of uploading it. Edited it into the crisis phase post. Hope one of these works.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
The data access on the remote server worked.

On the puzzle:
No idea what to do with the picture, yet. The title is "Ein Tisch" which means "a table" (the one you sit at) in English. But the picture is that of a table (the one with rows and columns). A pun on translation? And I don't know that to do of the table, so let's move on to the equations.

There are 4 equations and 10 unique character pairs: 26, er, le, od, on, po, si, sm, ti, tt. This cries out for a number substitution for the figures 0 to 9. That suggests that the numbers have a base of 10 and "sier" can be written as 10*si+er. I brute forced myself through all the possible permutations but only managed to satisfy 3 of the 4 equations at most.
Here the closest solution to solving all equations: 26=9, er=2, le=0, od=8, on=6, po=3, si=4, sm=7, ti=5, tt=1. It solves all equations besides the first which comes down to: 14905800=54905800. This does seem to be a mix-up, I believe the right side should read tisi26letiodlele.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 04:02 PM
After the substitution the equations read like this:
42 x 7 x 52 x 75 x 13 = 14905800
20 x 11 x 110 = 24200

(42 x 5) + (32 x 3) + (27 x 2) + (11 x 3) + (28 x 4) + (29 x 6) + (13 x 3) + (100 x 4) + (4 x 2) + (78 x 6) = 1594
(50 x 1) + (103 x 3) + (7 x 3) + (60 x 2) + (41 x 4) + (8 x 4) + (82 x 2) = 860

I imagine that the format of the latter two (number x single digit) is important for some part of the riddle. Maybe it can be converted to characters. I'll play around with it.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
0123456789 = letterpositionsmod26. Tadaaah!
This should be our clue for what to do about the picture.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM
2 18 2 7 8 18 13 10 8 0 <- (x*y)mod26
b r b g h r m j h z <- a=1
c s c h i s n k i a <- a=0
24 23 21 16 8 6 8
x w u p h f h <- a=1
y x v q i g i <- a=0

16 5 + 6 3 + 1 2 + 11 3 + 2 4 + 3 6 + 13 3 + 22 4 + 4 2 + 0 6 <- xmod26 y
p(k/u) f(c/i) a(y/c) k(h/n) b(x/f) c(w/i) m(j/p) v(r/z) d(b/f) z(t/f) <- x(x-y/x+y) && a=1
24 1 + 25 3 + 7 3 + 8 2 + 15 4 + 8 4 + 4 2
x(w/y) y(v/b) g(d/j) h(f/j) o(k/s) h(d/l) d(b/f) <- x(x-y/x+y) && a=1

Doesn't seem to be working so well. And I'm getting quite tired.

FM Bishop
May 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I had an idea for the picture. I think the solution is a pixel picture and the numbers tell who many non-white pixels are in the row/column. The two rows/columns could indicate different colors. The problem that I see with this idea is that the numbers don't check out. The sum for the rows is 109, while the columns add up to 113.

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Looks like a nonogram to me, this should be fun.

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Yeah I'm like halfway done with it and it's entirely consistent with nonogram rules thus far.

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LvhBfgq.jpg

It's the freaking periodic table.
Hold up, researching Mendeleev time.

FM Combo
May 18th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Born Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev
8 February 1834
Verkhnie Aremzyani, Russian Empire

Died 2 February 1907 (aged 72)
St. Petersburg, Russian Empire

Probably St. Petersburg, Russia?

FM Ferengi
May 19th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Pre-Set Hint #1:

FM Bishop may choose one resource to add +1 to for solving this part of the puzzle:

After the substitution the equations read like this:
42 x 7 x 52 x 75 x 13 = 14905800
20 x 11 x 110 = 24200

(42 x 5) + (32 x 3) + (27 x 2) + (11 x 3) + (28 x 4) + (29 x 6) + (13 x 3) + (100 x 4) + (4 x 2) + (78 x 6) = 1594
(50 x 1) + (103 x 3) + (7 x 3) + (60 x 2) + (41 x 4) + (8 x 4) + (82 x 2) = 860

I imagine that the format of the latter two (number x single digit) is important for some part of the riddle. Maybe it can be converted to characters. I'll play around with it.

FM Gaius Baltar looked over FM Bishop's proposed solution. "I think you might just be right" he exclaimed excitedly.

After trimming down the solution to the important parts, this is what he was left with:

42 7 52 75 13
20 11 110

(42 x 5) + (32 x 3) + (27 x 2) + (11 x 3) + (28 x 4) + (29 x 6) + (13 x 3) + (100 x 4) + (4 x 2) + (78 x 6)
(50 x 1) + (103 x 3) + (7 x 3) + (60 x 2) + (41 x 4) + (8 x 4) + (82 x 2)

These two sets of numbers seem to be written with different codes. I wonder where we should look to try to find clues to solve the puzzle. Maybe the answer lies in the picture...

0123456789 = letterpositionsmod26. Tadaaah!
This should be our clue for what to do about the picture.

Interesting that you point this out! However, I'm not sure that this has much to do with the current puzzle. Perhaps this is something we need to save for later reference. Please write this down in my lab notebook. Thank you.

FM Ferengi
May 19th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Pre-set hint #2:

FM Combo may choose one resource to add +1 to for solving this part of the puzzle:

http://i.imgur.com/LvhBfgq.jpg

It's the freaking periodic table.
Hold up, researching Mendeleev time.

FM Gaius Baltar looked at the nonogram that displayed an image of the periodic table. An interesting title and an interesting reference. Now how to use this to solve the puzzle....

FM Bishop
May 19th, 2013, 02:42 AM
42 7 52 75 13
20 11 110
Mo N Te Re Al
Ca Na Ds
Montreal, Canada

Which leaves the other two equations open.
Substituting the first number with the element names in the periodic table yields:
(Mo x 5) + (Ge x 3) + (Co x 2) + (Na x 3) + (Ni x 4) + (Cu x 6) + (Al x 3) + (Fm x 4) + (Be x 2) + (Pt x 6)
(Sn x 1) + (Lr x 3) + (N x 3) + (Nd x 2) + (Nb x 4) + (O x 4) + (Pb x 2)
Doing the same for the second number doesn't look helpful.

FM Bishop
May 19th, 2013, 03:22 AM
The RP suggests that there is a different code involved. I'm currently looking into different mappings to the periodic table.
Using the single digit as reference to the period isn't working as far as I am concerned. I'll try multiplying the number pair and using mod111 to map them.

FM Ferengi
May 19th, 2013, 03:28 AM
+1 morale has been added to the fleet resources.

FM Bishop
May 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I'm a little bit stuck. I'd enjoy some input for some fresh perspectives.

FM Bishop
May 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
If I use a simple number conversion (x*y)mod26 and a=0 I can get "sick chinas" after reordering the letters. Maybe that hints to the epically painted porcelain on which our egg beef cabbage soup will be served? jk
The second line makes no sense anyway.

FM Bishop
May 20th, 2013, 02:37 AM
For the first line if we talk the long name of the elements with the periodic number x and take out the yth letter we get "brodkrumen" which bears a striking similarity to the German word "Brotkrumen" or the old German word "Brödkrumen" both meaning "breadcrumbs". This may very well be another ingredient for the receipt.
The second one yields "Twtebge" which is gibberish and doesn't make sense even after reordering the letters. Taking the yth letter from the end doesn't help either.

FM Ferengi
May 20th, 2013, 08:05 AM
For the first line if we talk the long name of the elements with the periodic number x and take out the yth letter we get "brodkrumen" which bears a striking similarity to the German word "Brotkrumen" or the old German word "Brödkrumen" both meaning "breadcrumbs". This may very well be another ingredient for the receipt.
The second one yields "Twtebge" which is gibberish and doesn't make sense even after reordering the letters. Taking the yth letter from the end doesn't help either.

Ahhh you are really close to solving this! I don't want to say more for fear of accidentally giving an unnecessary hint.

Reminder: There is a little over 24 hours left to solve the puzzle.

FM Bishop
May 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Is the first one correct? Can you tell me that much?

FM Ferengi
May 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Is the first one correct? Can you tell me that much?

You arrived at the correct first word of the second puzzle "brotkrumen" with a slightly incorrect method. This is intended and supposed to help you troubleshoot your answer.

FM Bishop
May 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
The German names yield better solutions. How charming. :smile:
Our next ingredients are "Brotkrumen und Zwiebeln" (breadcrumbs and onion). Still looks like a soup/stew to me.