PDA

View Full Version : Part 2: Montesilvano, Italy

FM Ferengi
May 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Part 2: Montesilvano, Italy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDbK2plvqw

The Cylons were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies. And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters. After a long and bloody struggle, an armistice was declared and the Cylons left for another world to call their own.

Forty years later, they returned, and brought humanity to the brink of extinction. The remaining humans, led by the crew of the Battlestar Galactica, fled in hopes of finding a new home, one known by legend as Earth.

Humanity’s only hope lies in finding Earth’s location while fighting off the unrelenting Cylons. But as resources run low, it is discovered that the enemy can now appear human and has infiltrated the fleet from the inside.

-------------------------------------------------

Resources -
Morale - 19
Food - 19
Water - 19
Population - 20

Fleet Marker -
(.........||...................)

President - FM Combo
Admiral - FM Combo

Links:
Setup: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19732-Battlestar-Galactica-The-FM-18-Reserve-Dead-Chat-Puzzle-Game
FAQ: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19735-FAQ

Setup Phase: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19866-Part-2-Montesilvano-Italy?p=318365&viewfull=1#post318365
Crisis Phase: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19866-Part-2-Montesilvano-Italy?p=319133&viewfull=1#post319133
Day Event - FM Bishop: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19866-Part-2-Montesilvano-Italy?p=319687&viewfull=1#post319687
RP Hint: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/19866-Part-2-Montesilvano-Italy?p=321100&viewfull=1#post321100

List of Players:
FM Walter
FM Skyler
FM Hank
FM Marie
FM Flynn
FM Saul
FM Gustavo
FM Mike
FM Gale
FM Holly
FM Badger
FM Ted
FM Krazy 8
FM Combo
FM Hector
FM Tuco
FM Pete
FM Jane
FM Gage
FM Bishop

FM Ferengi
May 10th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Part 2: Montesilvano, Italy - Setup Phase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjgOtrwGnto

The fleet prepped their Faster-Than-Light drives and recalled all their scout raptors to the Battlestar. One scout raptor had picked up a man by the name of FM McKelty who said he had been exiled and sent away in a small raptor with a limited amount of food that had just about run out. FM McKelty made it on to the Battlestar just in time for...

and JUMP.

They ended up in a quiet space near some large gaseous bodies. Luckily there was a bit of time before they could expect the Cylons on their tail.

Would the survivors of the Twelve Colonies be able to elect an Admiral today?

Setup Phase:
During this Setup Phase, cast your votes to re-elect a President and elect an Admiral by typing

-vote playername for President
-vote playername for Admiral

Vote count will be manual, and the player with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the role will be given to the player who reached the tie amount of votes first.

The President has been PM'ed an individual puzzle. If he correctly solves this puzzle, then the fleet will be able to gain additional resources.

Questions may be asked in green or PM'ed to Switzerland.

The Setup Phase ends at this time: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=may+12%2C+2013+12%3A00am+PST

FM Combo
May 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
-vote FM Combo for President
-vote FM Combo for Admiral

FM Combo
May 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Just incase I'm the only one really doing stuff again.

FM Gage
May 10th, 2013, 11:22 PM
FM Combo for President
FM Gage for Admiral

FM Hector
May 11th, 2013, 03:56 AM
-vote FM Hector for Admiral

I've tried for five hours on the puzzle, but I always had it ending up wrong.

FM Combo
May 11th, 2013, 05:19 AM
-vote FM Hector for Admiral

I've tried for five hours on the puzzle, but I always had it ending up wrong.

Trust me I was way off for a long time too. I really should've seen the clue about the IRSA sooner

FM McKelty
May 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM
what is this????

FM Ferengi
May 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Vote Tally:

President:
FM Combo (3): FM Combo, FM Gage, FM Hector
*note* FM Gage's vote wasn't in the correct color, but I'm accepting it anyway

Admiral:
FM Combo (1): FM Combo
FM Gage (1): FM Gage
FM Hector (1): FM Hector

FM Hector
May 11th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Admiral:
FM Combo (1): FM Combo
FM Gage (1): FM Gage
FM Hector (1): FM Hector

We're so selfish.

FM Ferengi
May 11th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Part 2: Montesilvano, Italy - Crisis Phase

FM Kara Thrace was sent out to receive a small marked beacon located near the previously determined jump coordinates. This beacon marks the first step on the road to Earth! I bet this has the next clue.

She and FM Lee Adama pried open the beacon in a rush without waiting for FM Gaius Baltar and the lab crew.

In it they found a small recording device with one track on it:

https://soundcloud.com/user651906221/f-r-louis-b-rip-1852

FM Gaius Baltar paced nervously. I don't even know what to make of this. Is this some kind of joke? How are we supposed to get the next location's jump coordinates from this song.

President and Admiral FM Combo, perhaps you and your men could take a look at this and let me know if you are able to figure out the next location. I believe we are still looking for a city and a country.

-----------------------

FM Combo has been elected President of the Twelve Colonies
FM Combo has also been elected Admiral of the Twelve Colonies

President FM Combo was unable to solve his individual puzzle as President of the Twelve Colonies, so the fleet will not gain any additional resources at this time.

FM Hector
May 12th, 2013, 08:02 AM
We can find the coordinates by listening to it and find out what the keys are.

If possible, a midi track of this could make it possible.

Another thing to see is "Für Louis, RIP 1852" which could mean that he died in 1852.

I have checked and a match says Louis Braille, 4 January 1809 - 6 January 1852 France, Paris.

It could mean 04 01 1809 - 06 01 1852.

FM Pete
May 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah people voting for themselves.... Right.

FM Ferengi
May 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Day event: FM Bishop

Admiral, we've identified a raptor of unknown allegiance set on a collision course with the fleet. What should we do.

I'll radio the raptor and ask who he is and what he is doing out in deep space.

--crackle--Hello this is Admiral --crackle-- FM Combo --crackle-- of the Battlestar Galactica. Please identify yourself. --crackle-- over.

--static--This is FM Bishop --static-- I repeat, this is FM Bishop, requesting safe harbor on your ship --static-- I have been running from the Cylons --static-- for several weeks and am almost out of food and water --static--

FM Combo, being both the fleet's president and admiral quickly made a decision. Let him on board. Perhaps he has skills and talents that can help us solve these puzzles.

+1 to fleet population (FM Bishop)
Note: Expect a hint in approximately 24 hours

FM Gage
May 12th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Gosh, I just came back to check the new puzzle. This one's fun, and right up my alley. :)

I've got some ideas... I'll say more when I've worked them out.

FM Bishop
May 12th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hello Ladies and gentle people,
seeing how FM Combo is in firm control of this ship, I'd like to know if he is allowed to tell us what his puzzle was about.
A straight up possibility could be that the city and country in question is Paris, France. But I find that to be unlikely. I do think however that we have to extract some information from the keys. There are 30 of them including a pause on the 8th slot.

FM Ferengi
May 12th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Hello Ladies and gentle people,
seeing how FM Combo is in firm control of this ship, I'd like to know if he is allowed to tell us what his puzzle was about.

He is allowed to share the puzzle if he wishes. I will not be divulging any solved/unsolved individual puzzles until after this game ends.

FM Gage
May 12th, 2013, 11:09 PM
A straight up possibility could be that the city and country in question is Paris, France. But I find that to be unlikely. I do think however that we have to extract some information from the keys. There are 30 of them including a pause on the 8th slot.

I doubt that Paris, France is the entire answer.

Some thoughts so far:

"Für Louis B." is clearly a reference to the composer Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827), whose piano piece "Für Elise" is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVW8tgGY_w]quite[/quite] famous. The piece is dated 27 April 1810, and has two catalogue numbers that might be important: WoO 59 and Bia 515. It doesn't bear any immediate resemblance to our "Fur Louis B." but there might be one somewhere.

I'm working on a transcription of the tune right now. It sounds like we're dealing with two midi instruments (trumpet/trombone and piano, I think, though I don't know a lot about midi) and the tempo is about 125 bpm. I'll post the transcription in a minute when I'm done with it.

Hector's observation that Louis Braille died in 1852 is probably important. It suggests that there might be some way of "reading" the notes of the music as letters of the Braille alphabet.

FM Gage
May 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM
quite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVW8tgGY_w)

FM Gage
May 12th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Here's (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByeTA2zjlvKkbGdRbUwwOGdCd3M/edit) my transcription... I think it's more or less accurate.

A couple things to ponder:
1) Why this instrumentation?
2) Why the "hiccup" in the trumpet in measure 2 (transcribed as a sixteenth-note in the middle of mostly eighth notes)?
3) Why do we change to using a bunch of notes with accidentals in the third measure?

FM Ferengi
May 12th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Here's (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByeTA2zjlvKkbGdRbUwwOGdCd3M/edit) my transcription... I think it's more or less accurate.

A couple things to ponder:
1) Why this instrumentation?
2) Why the "hiccup" in the trumpet in measure 2 (transcribed as a sixteenth-note in the middle of mostly eighth notes)?
3) Why do we change to using a bunch of notes with accidentals in the third measure?

[out of character]O.O I purposefully gave you guys a song file assuming that I would have to eventually provide the sheet music (at which point the fleet loses resources). I'm probably going to eliminate the triggered hints since tbh you guys are blowing through these puzzles just fine without the extra help. Should also make it more fun ;)[/out of character]

FM Bishop
May 13th, 2013, 01:43 AM
How did you get your transcription? I just finished mine, too. I was quite a pain to use a spectrum analyzer to get the notes.
Slot Note Freq Instrument
01 A3/G3 220/196 P/T
02 D3/G3 147/196 P/T
03 D3/F4 147/346 P/T
04 C4 259 T
05 E3/G3 164/194 P/T
06 G3/G4 193/394 P/T
07 G3 195 P
08 - -
09 F#3/B3 189/247 P/T
10 E3/F4 163/346 P/T
11 A3/G3 220/194 P/T
12 F3 174 P
13 G3 193 T
14 C4/A3 262/220 P/T
15 A3/F4 220/349 P/T
16 B3/F4 247/350 P/T
17 B3/A3 247/220 P/T
18 A3/B3 220/245 P/T
19 G3 194 P
20 E3 163 P
21 C#4 273 T
22 F#4 370 T
23 A#3 229 T
24 F#4 371 T
25 F#4 372 T
26 A#3 230 T
27 A3 219 T
28 A3 219 T
29 G3 194 T
30 A3 220 T

FM Bishop
May 13th, 2013, 02:07 AM
I made a couple of mistakes but after checking on them again, we actually have the same thing. So I'll approve your transcription as correct. ^^

FM Bishop
May 13th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I was actually thinking German Braille when I read "Für Louis B.". I looked into converting the tablature into the Braille Music system and use German Braille to read it. But that doesn't work.

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Sorry guys, I've been pretty ill (I had actually asked Switzerland to apologize to the crew for me if my puzzle expired before I was well enough to hit the computer)

Here's my puzzle:

You are negotiating a deal with the Cylons.

President of the Twelve Colonies, we refuse to meet with you unless you prove your worth to us. You must solve this puzzle to continue negotiations. Upon the successful conclusion of these negotiations, we will give you a choice of +1 food or +1 water

Representatives from the Twelve Colonies of Kobol have all gathered at a leadership summit to distribute 50 raptors that were designed using technology straight from FM Gaius Baltar's lab. Each of the twelve representatives are extremely selfish but also very intelligent.

List of the 12 colonies of Kobol:
Aerilon
Aquaria
Canceron
Caprica
Gemenon
Leonis
Libran
Picon
Sagittaron
Scorpia
Tauron
Virgon

The first alphabetical colony of Kobol will be allowed to propose a scheme to distribute the raptors. All twelve colonies will vote on the proposed scheme, and if half of the representatives vote affirmatively, the distribution scheme passes. If the first colony fails to obtain the support of at least half of the representatives, he faces dissent and will be sent hom in shame without any raptors. The second alphabetical colony of Kobol will then be allowed to propose a distribution scheme, and so on.

You are a representative of Aerilon. What is the maximum number of raptors you can keep for your colony and why?

8 and 50 are both incorrect answers.

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 07:06 AM
upon pointing out my answers being incorrect, Switzerland directed my attention again to this paragraph:

Representatives from the Twelve Colonies of Kobol have all gathered at a leadership summit to distribute 50 raptors that were designed using technology straight from FM Gaius Baltar's lab. Each of the twelve representatives are extremely selfish but also very intelligent.

FM Bishop
May 13th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Well, this one was pretty easy imo. Sad that you didn't have enough time.
The correct answer is 45. Too bad for the everybody knows that the representatives are extremely greedy and smart. If there would have been somebody not so smart in here, things might have been distributed a little bit more evenly. Everybody that gets at least one Raptor will vote yes, because they know they won't get any in the next round if they decline now. You get to this result by starting starting it backwards. In a two colony situation, the first one will take all of the raptors for itself and get them, because there are only 2 of them (50% approval guaranteed). So in a three colony situation the first colony has to provide a distribution to gather a second vote. This is easily achieved by assigning 1 raptor to the last colony, because this colony will get no raptor if it declines the proposition. If you repeat this logic up to 12 colonies you get the following distribution.

Aerilon

Aquaria

Canceron

Caprica

Gemenon

Leonis

Libran

Picon

Sagittaron

Scorpia

Tauron

Virgon

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Well, this one was pretty easy imo. Sad that you didn't have enough time.
The correct answer is 45. Too bad for the everybody knows that the representatives are extremely greedy and smart. If there would have been somebody not so smart in here, things might have been distributed a little bit more evenly. Everybody that gets at least one Raptor will vote yes, because they know they won't get any in the next round if they decline now. You get to this result by starting starting it backwards. In a two colony situation, the first one will take all of the raptors for itself and get them, because there are only 2 of them (50% approval guaranteed). So in a three colony situation the first colony has to provide a distribution to gather a second vote. This is easily achieved by assigning 1 raptor to the last colony, because this colony will get no raptor if it declines the proposition. If you repeat this logic up to 12 colonies you get the following distribution.

Aerilon

Aquaria

Canceron

Caprica

Gemenon

Leonis

Libran

Picon

Sagittaron

Scorpia

Tauron

Virgon

Submitted to the Swiss

FM Bishop
May 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Isn't it too late for that? Or is this meant to confirm the solution?

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Isn't it too late for that? Or is this meant to confirm the solution?

I was never informed that my puzzle had expired, this is a good chance to clarify the time limit on it though.

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 07:44 AM
How long do we have to solve individual puzzles

FM Ferengi
May 13th, 2013, 10:39 AM
How long do we have to solve individual puzzles

You had until the end of the setup phase. I posted that your puzzle expired when the crisis phase began.

FM Bishop has been given the Puzzler Medal of Honor by the President for successfully solving the puzzle.

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM
You had until the end of the setup phase. I posted that your puzzle expired when the crisis phase began.

FM Bishop has been given the Puzzler Medal of Honor by the President for successfully solving the puzzle.

Ah I see it now, my bad. On the bright side we're solving puzzles so quickly you haven't taken anything from us yet.

FM Bishop
May 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Oh nice! A Puzzler Medal of Honor! hangs it up on the wall to display it

FM Combo
May 13th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Oh nice! A Puzzler Medal of Honor! hangs it up on the wall to display it

Apparently being supreme dictator means I can make up meaningless titles and awards as we go along. Whichever human finds the solution for 3 puzzles will get the next award.

FM Pete
May 13th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Apparently being supreme dictator means I can make up meaningless titles and awards as we go along. Whichever human finds the solution for 3 puzzles will get the next award.

Oh great dictator what award will you give to the most meek?

FM Ferengi
May 13th, 2013, 10:14 PM
FYI: I'm going to allow ~24 more hours for progress on the puzzle before posting a RP hint.

FM Bishop
May 14th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I drastically trimmed the information and converted the notes to numbers.
No note is a 0. The lowest is a 1, each half-tone is incremented by 1. The highest number is 7 for both trumpet and piano.

All my attempts involve combining 2 notes into 1 braille symbol. For this I use the numbers as the binary representation of one column of a braille symbol (how conveniently that it caps at 7). 10 would be the letter a, while 72 would be the letter r.
Btw the pins of braille symbols are numbered in this way:
I tried "reading" the piano and trumpet separately. The results were... bogus. I then combined the corresponding notes of first trumpet and then piano, then the reverse. Non of which worked, but I am pretty sure that both are meant to be read separately. The trumpet being the city, the piano being the country, or vice versa.

Next I will take a look what number combinations would generate vowels, and look if I get a result by assigning the numbers to the notes in a different way.

FM Bishop
May 14th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I'll have to assign the number differently for piano and trumpet. I get 24 unique characters right now, which is way too many. But even with that the piano part would still consist of 10 different characters. I ran a search for countries with 10 letters and the only result with 10 unique characters is Uzbekistan, which takes up 4 vowels.
I suspect the answer has this form:
### #### ####, ##########

All in all, my attempts at number conversion don't look to bright.

FM Ferengi
May 14th, 2013, 09:39 PM
RP Hint:

A few things of note happened today.

First, FM Jesse, FM Andrea, and FM McKelty were banished from the Battlestar Galactica and told never to return again. (permabanned from the site)
-3 population to the fleet

Second, supplies were beginning to deplete and morale took a bit of a hit (-1 morale, -1 food, -1 water) as progress on the puzzle started to stall.

FM Gaius Baltar came to the rescue. FM Gage and FM Bishop, your transcriptions of the song are quite adept. However I was able to find a way to open the recording device and a piece of microfilm popped out. I haven't seen microfilm in a very long time, but luckily we have a reader in the sublevels of the battlestar. In any case, located on the device was a transcription of the song. It looks to be a little bit different than each of your transcriptions. Some things seem a bit out of place. Perhaps if we analyze this a bit further we can figure out a solution. I am also of the belief that you are all on the right track in thinking that there is some way to read a part of this message with the braile alphabet. I'm not quite sure how this ties in yet. Perhaps we just need to read things with the right instrument.

Web link to image: http://i44.tinypic.com/24pjmty.png

FM Bishop
May 14th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I don't have sufficient permissions to view the microfilm.

FM Mike2
May 15th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Am I too late to the party?

FM Ferengi
May 15th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Am I too late to the party?

No, of course not! Welcome!

FM Bishop
May 15th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hi Mike! Glad to see you aboard.

I tried a similar thing to what I did earlier by combining two notes to a braille symbol, but this time using the trumpet valves as means of encoding. After looking into how the notes are created (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Special-T_trumpet_overtone_series.png) I saw that you can't play A#3 and Gb4, so I substituted those with Bb3 and F#4. Whenever the first and second valve was used in unison I added in the alternate possibility of only using the third valve.
The resulting (english) braille is as follows:
x a m (space) m n/u n/u c h/in (space) for th p g/gh/ar/_ n/u
German Braille:
x/mm a m (space) m n/u n/u c/en h/in (space) es ch p g/eu/ä/_ n/u
Another round of gibberish!
At first I was kinda happy as this method generated a lot more actual letters and vowels than my earlier attempts, but then everything went quite fast downhill.
I also thought about visualizing the notes as guitar tabs, but that's neither of the instruments used nor does it represent braille in a meaningful way.

FM Ferengi
May 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
x a m (space) m n/u n/u c h/in (space) for th p g/gh/ar/_ n/u

I'm confused by the last word particularly, but can confirm that the letters colored green are correct.

FM Bishop
May 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Okay, my process in detail. I noticed just now that F#4 could be played as first overtone of 2 or second overtone of 1-2-3. Now the result makes more sense.

Note pair
Valves
Braille
Character

G3 & G3
1-3 & 1-3

x

F4 & C4
1 & 0

a

G3 & F4
1-3 & 1

m

Pause & Pause
- & -

G3 & F4
1-3 & 1

m

G3 & A3 Staccato
1-3 & 1-2 OR 3
⠝ OR ⠥
n OR u

G3 & A3
1-3 & 1-2 OR 3
⠝ OR ⠥
n OR u

F4 & F4
1 & 1

c

A3 & B3
1-2 OR 3 & 2
⠓ OR ⠔
h OR in

Pause & Pause
- & -

C#4 & F#4
1-2-3 & 2 OR 1-2-3
⠗ OR ⠿
r OR for

A#3(=Bb3) & F#4
1 & 2 OR 1-2-3
⠑ OR ⠹
e OR th

Gb4(=F#4) & Bb3
2 OR 1-2-3 & 1
⠊ OR ⠏
i OR p

A3 & A3
1-2 OR 3 & 1-2 OR 3
⠛ OR ⠣ OR ⠜ OR ⠤
g OR gh OR ar OR _

G3 & A3
1-3 & 1-2 OR 3
⠝ OR ⠥
n OR u

Dunno what to do with that quite yet. I'll take another look at the piano.

FM Ferengi
May 15th, 2013, 06:59 PM
>.>

I just double checked something: The second note of the trumpet part is supposed to have a flat.

Whoops. (sorry for the mistake)...

FM Combo
May 15th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I'm scrolling through a list of every city name in the world just in case i can find a match lol trying to make up for my epic failure at helping for this particular puzzle.

FM Combo
May 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM
inb4 swiss: It's not the city/country yet.

FM Bishop
May 16th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Trumpet: yam munch reign
I suspect this is a play on words. Maybe finding synonyms which put together form the name of the city will help.

yam: tuber, potato
munch: chew, eat, bite
reign: rule

i.e too-ber-choo-rool

FM Bishop
May 16th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Rearranging yam munch reign gives Munich, Germany.
But that still leaves the Piano puzzle open.

FM Bishop
May 16th, 2013, 04:45 AM
well, let's add egg beef cabbage to the mix and we are set.

FM Ferengi
May 17th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Part 2: End

FM Gaius Baltar shook FM Bishop's hand. I knew we could count on you all to help solve this puzzle. Ok, by my calculations, after running the lattitude and longitudinal coordinates of Munich, Germany through our jump calculation algorithm, we should end up in this particular area of unexplored space.

But what about "add egg beef cabbage," asked FM Kara Thrace. "Isn't that part of the solution, too?"

Puzzled, FM Gaius Baltar stared blankly into the distance. "Perhaps all will be revealed in time."