PDA

View Full Version : A New Cipher

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I decided to use my magic wizardry to make something badass.

Steganography is the science of hiding secret messages through obscurity. Rather than trying to make it impossible to decrypt a message without knowing a password or something, steganography focuses on making the message itself invisible.

I used my knowledge of Unicode characters to create a program that is pretty good at doing this.

Download here: http://thecouncilofmages.com/corner/oops_ur_dead/herp.7z
Password is "Flaming Anuses"

Here's a screenshot showing you how to use it:
http://f.cl.ly/items/3X092H2H2S1f0S3x2p3K/usage.png

Run the .jar file in the /bin folder. You need Java installed.

Encoding:
In "Unencoded Text", put your post. Put the text that you want to hide in "Ciphertext". Click Encode, and text will appear in "Encoded Text". Copy it all and paste it. Make sure to preview it in the forum, first, to make sure you aren't fucking up.

Decoding:
Paste the text with the encoded message in "Encoded Text". Click Decode, and the secret message will show up in Ciphertext.

Steganographer is an excellent application made by oops_ur_dead

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????Steganographer is an excellent application made by oops_ur_dead

Looks exactly the same, yeah? No. The top message contains no secret text, while the bottom one has an encoded sentence. I'm not telling your lazy ass which one is which, so figure it out yourselves.

If you want to know exactly how it works, check the source code in the archive. It's written in Java and licensed under the Apache License.

Note that this isn't 100% flawless. If someone decides to copy-paste our posts for some reason, we might be fucked. Same goes for if someone views the forum with a non-Unicode browser.

FAQ (No, these were never asked. I just made them up)

Q. Does this run on <INSERT SHITTY OS HERE>?
A. As long as <INSERT SHITTY OS HERE> has Java, then it should. Works 100% on Windows, almost certainly on Linux and OS X. If you really hate yourself that much, you could probably run it on iPhone.

Q. You are master black magic and hacker. How does program work?
A. Why thank you. This program exploits a set of Unicode characters called spaces. They are exactly what they sound like: spaces. However, Unicode has like 10000 spaces for different purposes to support languages like Hebrew and Arabic. There are a few spaces that have zero width. This program converts the ciphertext to binary and binary to these zero-width spaces. It then prepends the string of spaces to the original post. To decode, it simply reverses the process.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
We're gonna get buttfucked after the game is over for this...

I'm going to try this real quick to see how obvious it is.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????I'm going to try this real quick to see how obvious it is.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I don't see how copy pasting the two sentences means we're fucked.

I can search both on google, copy and paste both, nothing changes in the quote text, and there's no difference at all.

FalseTruth
August 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I am going to go ahead and say that this is legal if you guys can get it to work.

This is very cool. Fucking wizardry - Goon

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Some applications don't support Unicode. If someone pastes the text into one of these applications, there's gonna be an enormous amount of spaces in front of the text and they might catch on.
Try pasting it into your browser's address bar.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
LOL DID NOT SEE THAT COMING

Oops just won us the game.

How many characters/words can I put onto one character?

Could I make a % sign explain an entire paragraph? Does each space = another word?

Also Firefox 6 handles it fine I'll add it in a notepad document...Yep still works fine.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ok special characters don't work well with it.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????I was walking my dog yesterday sorry about that

We'll be using small things like that anyway. I doubt this could blow up in our face especially with no one looking for it.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I'm going to try this real quick to see how obvious it is.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????I'm going to try this real quick to see how obvious it is.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'm using this as a testing bay so I apologize for that.

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM
There's no real limitations, you can encode anything as long as it isn't really long, because then the program might crash, and because it might exceed the forum post length limit. For example, the following word contains the entire opening sentence from the Wikipedia page on Steganography:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???cocks

Also, I uploaded a new version of the program. I fixed a typo and a couple UI things that were annoying me. The .jar file is now in the /dist folder.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???cocks

cocks

You can see a slight difference in the text.The space between the o and the c is missing in the encoded version.

So how should we figure out what is encoded or not?

Dark.Revenant
August 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Nobody will notice a fucking quarter-pixel of difference. I could only tell because the aliasing was very slightly different when looking 1 inch away from the monitor.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
You can only notice it all when you're pushing a large amount of characters into a small code. My two sentence example shows no difference you couldn't tell without being on CSI and "enhancing" the text for about an hour.

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Lol that "difference" is either your imagination or some variance in the font rendering engire. This tool doesn't touch the actual text, it just inserts invisible stuff before the text.

So how should we figure out what is encoded or not?

I have no idea. I was thinking we could have a codeword? Or maybe I could write another program that takes in text from "Print" in the top right of any thread, and searches it for encoded text?

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Lol the code word would be enough.

The difference is there the only way it works is if we keep the "encoded message" short enough that it doesn't overload google. If they search an 8 letter word on google and it says "This request is too long" then they might start noticing. I don't know though. We'll have to be smart about it.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????herpderp

Darth Sand
August 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
a code word should be sufficient i think (will the code be inserted before the code word then or at the start of the text?). and we can just keep the information as short as possible, for example you know who i investigate, i'll just tell you the result, other things could be longer but it's possible to give a lot of information in a few words.

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Actually, we don't need a code word.
Download Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/)
In the top-right of the thread, click on "Print".
Copy-paste the entire text.
Method 1: Paste it into Notepad++. Any lines that begin with an enormous number of question marks (that aren't visible in the actual post on the forum) have a secret message encoded in them.
Method 2: In Notepad++, click Encoding at the top and click "Encode in UTF-8". Then, past the text into Notepad++. Hit ctrl-f and click the "Mark" tab at the top, and copy-paste this exactly into the box:

]?[
Then, delete the two square brackets and ONLY the two square brackets, not what is inbetween them (there IS something between them). Then hit "Mark All". This will search for one of the zero-width characters used to encode messages. Any posts that contain a secret message will be marked with a red line where the message is.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Yep, we'll be able to have entire conversations with this.

This is insane.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
vote Send Clawtrocity to kill Elixir
Clean Elixir

Darth check MileS

MileS has a good chance of being doctor/coroner I THINK

Elixir is random enough target that I don't think will draw any attention to them.

I'll use my vest tonight and then I'll probably be dead. I'm not planning on living past night 3, but who knows what will happen tonight.

With the new cipher tool and the fact that none of us have been linked together at all yet we should be in fine shape. I really hope the cult leader doesn't come after any of us...All the town needs is the cult to have one mafia player from one mafia team and they basically win. Look what happened to False last game. I know you can't tell us if you're culted, but we lose if any of us get culted.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM
lul wrong thread.

McJesus
August 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Nice system how are we going to use it though? any ideas?

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Oops posted a link and tutorial on how to find encoded messages with Notepad++

You can literally use it whenever and wherever you want.

This is going to suck not being able to use this on other games =/

One, everyone will bitch about it's existence and two everyone will know how to do it after this thread so it'll be pointless.

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Oops posted a link and tutorial on how to find encoded messages with Notepad++

You can literally use it whenever and wherever you want.

This is going to suck not being able to use this on other games =/

One, everyone will bitch about it's existence and two everyone will know how to do it after this thread so it'll be pointless.

Unless we change up the way encryption is done.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah, but right before the game ends and our board is shown you should take out the program. They'll know how to find messages, but they won't be able to read them. Unless you change the encryption again in which case none of us will have any clue on how to change it so it works again.

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Except I kinda unveiled how it's done in the first post. Anyone with coding knowledge could reverse engineer it.

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Oh well. We can abuse it for this game and anyone using it after this game will have the knowledge that everyone will be able to figure this shit out.

oops_ur_dead
August 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Can I get the John Freeman Science and Outer Space award?

Clawtrocity
August 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM
No you are the ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????alienz.

oops_ur_dead
August 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I updated the program with a couple of fixes. Everyone download it and run it to make sure it works.

Clawtrocity
August 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Fucking oops...I found a pretty fatal bug, but there's no README to figure it out. If only this program had a README then I would be able to read it and figure out how to fix this bug.

Clawtrocity
August 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Nvm I can just use an older version.

Don't fuck this up guys. Good luck

oops_ur_dead
August 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Wow, I'm an idiot. I just noticed the bug and fixed it. Redownload if you want.