PDA

View Full Version : Should next game be closed?

oops_ur_dead
August 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM
By "closed game", I mean the roles are not known to the players.
If this ends up happening, we'd need to set up the game so that some sort of "standard" roles and rules are used, so there aren't any surprises ("WTF THE SERIAL KILLER CAN KILL THRICE IN ONE NIGHT IF HE DOES A BLOOD MOON RITUAL AT MIDNIGHT?"). We could make a setup using only SC2 Mafia roles, or using Epicmafia roles.

Clawtrocity
August 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Now I voted yes because anything that makes the game harder is awesome, but are you saying that you don't even know your own role or you don't see the role list like in the Mafia Variant?

oops_ur_dead
August 6th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The latter.
Just as a side-note: most Forum Mafia games in the vast land of the internet are played as closed setups. Open setups are usually only found in newbie games.

philie
August 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I dont like blind mode
Allows for too much lying, and makes the game too dependant on investigative roles vs discussion like its in the current mafia
And might i say the current mafia game is just unlucky for the baddies, its not that the town is too powerful. Blind mode makes it hard for the town to detec lies and leaves not as many clues to base any accusations on

oops_ur_dead
August 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
It also hinders Mafia. When the Mafia don't know what the town roles are, it makes them lose their focus on power roles, because they don't know what power roles there are.
Also prevents the mass roleclaim strategy that's been happening all too often, since nobody can really tell if another person is truthfully roleclaiming.

Clawtrocity
August 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Leave to only SC2 roles + the cult leader.

The majority of us haven't played EpicMafia so it'd get really fucking confusing.

I'm all for it.

monster
August 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Well - you said it already - closed setups increase the game difficulty for everyone for different reasons. I like the idea, but I think we (as the sc2 mafia community) still need to play some more games with a fully open setup - cos a lot of us are still learning, I know I am. Plus the current forum mafia game has generated a lot of interest and I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of new players sign up for the next one. So I voted No, for now at least.

I dont like blind mode
Allows for too much lying, and makes the game too dependent on investigative roles vs discussion like its in the current mafia
And might i say the current mafia game is just unlucky for the baddies, its not that the town is too powerful. Blind mode makes it hard for the town to detec lies and leaves not as many clues to base any accusations on

philie you are approaching this with the mentality of a sc2 mafia player. From what I have experienced in a closed mafia setup - the game relies less and less on power roles and much more on successful player interaction.

Think about this - in our current game - 3 people claimed sheriff day1. Day2 we found out that one of them was an executioner and then town could assume with a high degree of certainty that the other two guys are town sheriffs, unless counterclaimed(that's what oops is talking about). Now think about the same scenario without knowing there are 2 preset sheriff, and even without knowing there is an executioner. Why would you ever have faith in someone claiming a power role?

Also in the current game setup the town is the the most powerful faction by far. I wonder if you think it is not the town , then who is? The lonely SK? The 3player mafia clans(LOL)? Or perhaps the cult that insta-loses the game if its leader if ever detected. Last time when the cult won - 1/3 of the players were afk and town power roles were skipping on submitting their night actions. If you actually compare Town vs All the baddies combined you get a pretty decent balance( gj Elixir).

//why the f** did i write this

Zack
August 7th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I'm also against a closed game at this point. Its something to consider, but not yet. We aren't mafia pros, maybe a few are, but most aren't :P