PDA

View Full Version : Forum Mafia should start at day

Zack
July 31st, 2011, 02:03 AM
Anyone dying first night has just about 0 impact on the game. Its dissapointing, to say the least.

Which is why I suggest the next game to start at day, so everyone get to participate in the discussion at least.

What do you prefer?

I think it should start at day, the first day being short with no lynch.

Zack
July 31st, 2011, 02:06 AM
Hm, maybe I should do this in general discussion, lol?

Elixir
July 31st, 2011, 02:07 AM
edit: LOOKS LIKE THIS IS ALREADY A POLL. MAI BAD.

Feedback is nice, we'll see what people think for next game.

philie
July 31st, 2011, 02:09 AM
Maybe it should instead start with a night where no kills can be made, and the balance could be adjusted a bit around it to compensate the mafia in some other way
Starting at day maybe allows you to speak a little before dying, but i see very little point in it since nobody has any clues

Elixir
July 31st, 2011, 02:10 AM
If it goes to night time where people can invest, people can kill.

So the only middle ground is starting at day, which is totally plausible.

Zack
July 31st, 2011, 02:14 AM
Night with no kills is very bad for the scum, as investigators can check, the cult and masons recruit... Not good for mafia.

Starting at day with no lynch at least allows everyone to make introduction posts, and maybe try to shift the first night kill onto other people, heh.

philie
July 31st, 2011, 02:18 AM
Maybe the middle ground could be more of a
"The mafia decided to lay low and not do anything to attract the attention", which makes investigating against them useless and they show up as citizens.
While masons and the cult get to make a move, sheriff is useless and investigator very weak

Zack
July 31st, 2011, 02:20 AM
A headstart for cult and masons? Thats pretty bad. Remember the cult won the last forum mafia...

philie
July 31st, 2011, 02:25 AM
Masons could use a headstart, honestly, but you're right about the cult.
Also mafia could still perform non-killing actions so it wouldnt be totally bad for them

Zack
July 31st, 2011, 03:10 AM
Neverthelss, starting at night with no kills is unheard of in Mafia. There's noway to balance that ;o

monster
August 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Starting at day makes sense only with mandatory day lynch rule in place. I would totally support that. It is the only thing that would generate a proper discussion - forcing people to form groups, defend each other, accuse each other, also separating the lurkers from people who are willing to contribute. Otherwise what is the point? What are you going to say at a hypothetical Day1 start when you are not really required to do anything? Even if a real mafia claims mafia you will think they are the jester.

The only use for day start I see in this setup is for citizens to claim so that masons can have a better start - but why would the masons need a buff - they are already strong enough. This reminds me of the retardedness on sc2 mafia to start at day for the jailor - like we need to promote random jailing.

Someone will always die randomly the first night of the game - it sucks, I also died night1 in the last forum mafia, but that's just how it is.

philie
August 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
And how do you execute a mandatory everyday lynch? Make it require less than majority to lynch? Make a random town die? I know its a good way to push people. But there isnt much information to go on and people are going to be forced to lynch somebody for the sake of it, and there is like a 3/4 chance its gonna be town.

monster
August 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM
And how do you execute a mandatory everyday lynch? Make it require less than majority to lynch? Make a random town die? I know its a good way to push people. But there isnt much information to go on and people are going to be forced to lynch somebody for the sake of it, and there is like a 3/4 chance its gonna be town.

Dear philie,

I am not pulling the mandatory lynch rule out of my ass. Go over to TL, see the huge forum mafia section they have - nobody seems to have a problem with this rule and they have been running games for a very loooooooong time. Forum mafia is not SC2 Mafia. :) Maybe someone with more experience can tell us how is it done on epicmafia.

philie
August 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
they probably have 1 extra town or two to spare in the setup... this one seens really a close one. If mafia and cult werent so unlucky, town wouldnt have had a chance

Zack
August 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Day 1 with no lynch serves for introductory posts, pretty much. Depending on how you present yourself you might actually not die night 1. Seeing who posts a greeting and how the greeting was made is a way to decide who to kill, just saying.

Maybe citizens will claim, who knows. But they might be shot if they do.