PDA

View Full Version : -prefer and Ranked games

Sin
August 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi.

I'm there to talk about a little problem with the -prefer function with ranked games.

We are playing with pretty much all the time the same players, on EU server. One of them has 22K points, and was GF 6 times in a row (actually, he claimed 9, but I wasn't in every game).

Because he prefers Mayor, Godfather, Executioner, Framer and another role (don't remember which one), but Godfather is the only role that always appears in Standard Ranked.

This is really annoying, since it brings a lot of metagame in the games. Also, well, the 14 other players have almost no chance to be Godfather, who also is an interesting role to play.

So maybe would it be possible to :

- remove GF from the "prefer" list of ranked games ? This way, if he wants to prefer maf roles, he is still able to do that (-prefer Framer, Consort, Janitor, Disguiser, Blackmailer, for example).
- change the algorithm used by "prefer" so the chances for him to be Godfather are lower - or at least it gives a chance to other players to get the role)
- remover "prefer" from ranked games, completely. That also makes sense, since there is now a "ladder", and some people can abuse it to get the easiest roles to gain points (GF belongs to these "easy" roles, especially in ranked games where there often are citizens)

That would make the whole thing more interesting - I repeat : 9 times in a row.

RLVG
August 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Or perhaps a diminishing returns system, where a Bank would register the most recent played role by a system of 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 where 1 is the role, and if it repeats it would increase to 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0, giving a larger chance to ignore the role on a generated setup.

0 being the other roles.

Brainrape
August 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
No, I used prefer. I usually use: -prefer Godfather,Jester,Executioner,Framer,Mayor

So if I always get GF, then so it will be. If this will not be allowed, then I will not do it anymore. But only if an official statement.

Sin
August 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM
No, I used prefer. I usually use: -prefer Godfather,Jester,Executioner,Framer,Mayor

So if I always get GF, then so it will be. If this will not be allowed, then I will not do it anymore. But only if an official statement.

Yup.

But the last game (the tenth in a row...) was totally ruined because you were spotted from d1, from your name. And you were Godfather once again.

That's exactly why I ask for something to be done. I don't know how -prefer works though, but I think something special can be done with the ranked games. Maybe remove the predetermined roles from the -prefer - so if we pick Massacre, no -prefer Witch or -prefer Mass Murderer. And for the 4 maf, no -prefer Godfather or -prefer Investigator (even if no one uses it).

Brainrape
August 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I would say -prefer should be more concentrated on the random roles. If there is one then prefer should take it instead of fixed roles. I just prefer my roles which is fun to me. In 5 out of the 10 games there were one of the roles but I always got GF. Yeah last game I was just too annoyed. Usually I never use obviously names, but forced random name.

creedkingsx
August 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I think DR said he was going to remove -prefer and blacklist from ranked soon.

Elixir
August 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
This is a change we hope to get in soon.

Voss
August 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM
darn,

Sin
August 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Well, no prefer or blacklist in ranked now.

Thanks :) I immediately got GF - and won, to prove that it is the easiest role in the game.

Damus_Graves
August 27th, 2012, 02:51 PM
That is a matter of personal preference.

Personally i think coroner is the easiest the play. But thats cause im me ^.^

Sin
August 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM
That is a matter of personal preference.

Personally i think coroner is the easiest the play. But thats cause im me ^.^

I meant "easiest to win as...".

Coro is easy, but, how to say it...sometimes utterly useless ?

Damus_Graves
August 27th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I meant "easiest to win as...".

Coro is easy, but, how to say it...sometimes utterly useless ?

I take it as a challenge.
'can you find the scum without being able to visit ANYONE! muahahaha'

LeaD
August 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
GF sux, i get him way too often
^the problem with games on EU is, that usually i can guess everybody's role by the time we aren't even close to lylo. Was afk once, came back to see a shitload of townies dead and only maf + killing neutral (dno if it was SK or Arso) were alive + like 2-3 townies. I reveal Mayor and procede to lynch all 4 in a row (had a BD and a BG, busdriver saved my ass twice, bg once and i could vote everybody off lulz