PDA

View Full Version : "Did you find this review helpful?"

Xen
August 3rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
8/3/12, 10:45AM U.S. Central time

The game itself is epic. This is the ultimate test of truth and deception. For everything--every role and action and trick you can come up with--there is an equal opposite, even equal middles. Dark.Revenant is a legend for the precision and mechanical detail of this creation. Extremely well-made, lots of fun, lots to learn, and faster than forum Mafia while more complex than Mafia with a deck of cards in a room with friends. 15-players per game and it's all based on chat. Surviving to the end is basically the goal of every game in some form or another (with the exception of a few roles). If you're new, there's quite a bit to take in; the intricacies and physics and strategies of the game are vast, but it's worth learning if you're quick-witted and competitive and want to play something a little more laid back where you can eat and drink or read or whatever else comfortably in front of while you game.

I was an exclusive Starcraft melee players since 1998, formerly Team USA/top Western clan and multi-time TLT, WGT, PGT, and iCCup #1 2v2 winner (I was completely addicted to SC: BW before adult-life) and I approve this product. Ever since 2011, this SC2 Custom map has had me. And for the most part, I love it.

However, the community is odd; the legacy of SC2 Mafia's legendary-ness is a different story. The moderators do a generally poor and shady--even hypocritical--job involving the various forms of cheating and penalty management. They're committed and active, but they're arrogant and foolish; as sheepish as the typical 'Town' in every game. Most moderators act like children would with a gun in their hand and they run things accordingly; they make numerous mistakes and people get hurt. And good luck trying to get them to realize they've made a mistake to fix, no matter how accurate and scrupulous your reasoning is; and in the rare event they do fix a mistake they've made, it's hardly worth the wait. Many honest, legitimate players get punished without warrant, based on assumption, presumption, and bias (much like "random lynch FTW" and "Failors" and "trolls" in gameplay) and it seems like the most innocent players are penalized the worst, while the truly maliciously guilty are graced. In my experience, the moderators are generally less creative, less talented players--some fools and cheaters as well--while the best players I've known don't even visit www.sc2mafia.com (and for good reason). It's most unfortunate when newbies trying to learn the game are mistakenly punished during the process of learning, completely oblivious to what they did much less how to remedy their punishment. It's all rather ironic. The "judicial system" is much like it is in America: flawed and corrupt.

There are certainly many rule-breaking/force-lagging problematic players in general though; and how they manage to fly under the moderator radar for so long while players who shouldn't be getting KV'd and points-banned indeed are, I do not know. The game can be easily ruined by players who cheat and damage progress in the various ways possible and the game is indeed ruined in such ways more often than not.

But if you can tolerate the failing moderators and the select cheating/game-ruining public and just love the game for what it is and make some like-minded online friends who play it, this game can change your life.

You might think you can read people well and detect the truth by looking someone in the eyes or listening to tones of voice in person... until you play SC2 Mafia, in the world of in-game usernames hiding behind Battle.net usernames of hidden faces hiding behind computer monitors, you're in for a treat and many new life lessons.

The game itself is hands-down 5/5 stars.
However, due to the community/moderation issues: 4/5.

-xSXen

P.S. And for baby Jesus' sake, mod, don't close this thread. Constructive criticism is constructive. Let the townspeople discuss for a change.

Ash
August 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Nice plagiarism.

Xen
August 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hush, Trash, or I'll kill all your Pokemon.

P.S. I was an English major in college and had a 70% scholarship for creative writing. Why do you think I'm the best SC2 Mafia player to ever exist? It's a game revolving around creative writing.

Ash
August 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hush, Trash, or I'll kill all your Pokemon.
No, Trxen!
Anyways I feel you are complaining about the mods.
Akira vanished. 'nuff said.

Xen
August 3rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I'm complaining, not writing a review for the game on Battle.net. Just complaining. Just coming here to complain for no reason.

I have literally nothing to complain about--only things to earnestly criticize. I also don't have a vagina.

P.S. "Anyways" isn't a word, nub. u ez

Ash
August 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I'm complaining, not writing a review for the game on Battle.net. Just complaining. Just coming here to complain for no reason.

I have literally nothing to complain about--only things to earnestly criticize. I also don't have a vagina.

P.S. "Anyways" isn't a word, nub. u ez
criticizing and complaining is pretty much the same jumbo mumbo.

Cryptonic
August 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
It's nicely written, good review.
But, why are you posting it here? Is it for attention?

Xen
August 3rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
criticizing and complaining is pretty much the same jumbo mumbo.

Sure, if you're Mafia or Cult.

It's nicely written, good review.
But, why are you posting it here? Is it for attention?

Negative. Had to shrink it on Battle.net due to the character limit, but this was the finished product for some on this site to see via PM'ed.. and to maybe inspire solutions to problems long-standing.

Cryptonic
August 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Negative. Had to shrink it on Battle.net due to the character limit, but this was the finished product for some on this site to see via PM'ed.. and to maybe inspire solutions to problems long-standing.

Well then, it's nicely written. Good job.

Pokemon Trainer Red
August 3rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
My review:
"It's fun."

Lazers
August 3rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
You forgot to include: "60% of people who play this game are fucking retarded or autistic"

Pokemon Trainer Red
August 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
You forgot to include: "60% of people who play this game are fucking retarded or autistic"
That's mean >:(
You should apologize for all the mentally retarded people out there.
My school principle has a son with Autism.
Apologize to the people who have Autism to >:(

Lazers
August 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
That's mean >:(
You should apologize for all the mentally retarded people out there.
My school principle has a son with Autism.
Apologize to the people who have Autism to >:(

bitch do you even context

Xen
August 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM

That would be of a non-factual frustrated opinion over a accurately critical one though... despite its likelihood of truth.

Raptorblaze
August 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
This thread is derailing, get back onto the topic of his review or face the fiery hammer.

Chane
August 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
my review will consist of: "halo megafunk. thats all."

Raptorblaze
August 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Oops, xen's points totaled to 10 >.> well he'll be back in 24 hours to continue discussing this.

Anguss
August 3rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
I was an English major in college.

That explains a lot.