Brainstorming how to grow the clan and make it more relevant
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Brainstorming how to grow the clan and make it more relevant

Sc2Maf's community is growing and it's time to think about its next steps.

I have been trying to recruit players from other Mafia clans into Sc2Maf to try to consolidate. There are probably more than a dozen different small clans relating to Mafia, and I bet we can combine their membership and ours. What do you think about this? Is it a worthwhile idea? What's the best way to do it?

Perhaps more people would want to join the clan if there is some sort of in-game recognition of clan members. For example, perhaps clan members can get access to an extra model or hat. I'm not sure if this is possible in the Mafia game code. Helz would have something to say about that.

What are some other ideas to grow the clan and make it more relevant?
    (°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)

2. ISO #2

Re: Brainstorming how to grow the clan and make it more relevant

I'd say the clan needs a good logo. I mean, not the one it has right now, because yeah it's the official SC2Maf logo, but it should be enhanced, improved in a visual way specifically for the clan.

The clan members should have a way to be easily recognized primarily withing the SC2 game. Here's an idea. How about a tiny 15x15 pix version of the clan logo placed after the clan member name? Like a trademark showing that this person is with the gang. It would appear in chat prior and after the game when real names are revealed and especially on the victory screen if a clan member is listed amongst the winners.

Maybe add a little ad in the game preparation screen. With a tagline attractive enough to bring one's attention.
    Sencerely yours,

Self_Obsessed_Attention_Hungry_Wh()re_With_High_Ambitions_And_Low_IQ

3. ISO #3

Good idea! I'll brainstorm a clan logo. I do a little bit of graphic design in my free time. If you have ideas, send them to me or post them here. If you have a handdrawn picture, I can turn it into a digital vector design if you'd like.
    (°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)(°.°)

4. ISO #4

Hm. I think Omegasaur didn't have time to do that, but it's actually a great idea. I don't see Sc2Maf players anymore in lobbies, the clan seems dead. Wouldn't it be important to have an official clan for the game? Tell me if I'm wrong, but a dead official clan makes the game and staff look less serious (even if I know the staff is great and implied in the community, and that they are working to improve the game).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Hm. I think Omegasaur didn't have time to do that, but it's actually a great idea. I don't see Sc2Maf players anymore in lobbies, the clan seems dead. Wouldn't it be important to have an official clan for the game? Tell me if I'm wrong, but a dead official clan makes the game and staff look less serious (even if I know the staff is great and implied in the community, and that they are working to improve the game).
    There are two main clans for sc2mafia now. Perhaps its time to change official clans?
    CHOO CHOO, THE DARK GOD CALLS THOSE RIGHTEOUS AND FAITHFUL! FLOCK TO THE DARK MESSIAHS ARMS!

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Scvmurderer View Post
    There are two main clans for sc2mafia now. Perhaps its time to change official clans?
    Why did I know you'd say this... You will be right, but only in some months, when CHOOOO will have been completly purged of its potential trolls.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

Yeah, I don't see many SC2Maf members playing either apart from a few of us. Possibly, it's because we hit our limit a long time ago but never culled the inactive members, so that as the community changed, we failed to change with it.

The average number of Skwirl players that I see around seems to be the same as the number of SC2Maf players 3-4 months back. (I don't really see CHOOO much around, tbh) I believe that unless deliberate action is taken to remove inactive players and replace them with new active players, all clans will follow the same pattern.

I think Skwirl is run very well, with an effective communication medium, Discord, that facilitates participation due to ease of use, numerous features (cookies, music, etc), popularity of platform, and allows players to engage with the community outside of the game.

The last point is exceptionally important since, currently, the only way to engage with the SC2Maf clan is to have the SC2 client open. However, most of us have real-life commitments that prevents us from being in the game that much (nor, I'm sure, does anyone want to play Mafia 24/7, fun as it is).

Skwirl also has a logo/symbol/mascot (the squirrel), well-established rules that are more or less in line with the moderation team's rules, and a strong leader who very actively made the effort to grow the Discord chat at its inception (Distorted).

I think the chat has since grown to become a SC2 Mafia community-wide chat, instead of a Skwirl CLAN chat despite its name, and maybe that's what's really important here. Not any particular clans, but the community as a whole.

But to answer the thread title: cull old inactive members and replace them with new active and rule-abiding players.

The problem is, how do we remove the old members in a fair manner? Imagine coming back to SC2 Mafia after a couple of months' hiatus and find that you were suddenly kicked out of the clan without prior notice.
    Last edited by Exeter350; February 19th, 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Your friendly neighbourhood Asian.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter350 View Post
    Yeah, I don't see many SC2Maf members playing either apart from a few of us. Possibly, it's because we hit our limit a long time ago but never culled the inactive members, so that as the community changed, we failed to change with it.

The average number of Skwirl players that I see around seems to be the same as the number of SC2Maf players 3-4 months back. (I don't really see CHOOO much around, tbh) I believe that unless deliberate action is taken to remove inactive players and replace them with new active players, all clans will follow the same pattern.

I think Skwirl is run very well, with an effective communication medium, Discord, that facilitates participation due to ease of use, numerous features (cookies, music, etc), popularity of platform, and allows players to engage with the community outside of the game.

The last point is exceptionally important since, currently, the only way to engage with the SC2Maf clan is to have the SC2 client open. However, most of us have real-life commitments that prevents us from being in the game that much (nor, I'm sure, does anyone want to play Mafia 24/7, fun as it is).

Skwirl also has a logo/symbol/mascot (the squirrel), well-established rules that are more or less in line with the moderation team's rules, and a strong leader who very actively made the effort to grow the Discord chat at its inception (Distorted).

I think the chat has since grown to become a SC2 Mafia community-wide chat, instead of a Skwirl CLAN chat despite its name, and maybe that's what's really important here. Not any particular clans, but the community as a whole.

But to answer the thread title: cull old inactive members and replace them with new active and rule-abiding players.

The problem is, how do we remove the old members in a fair manner? Imagine coming back to SC2 Mafia after a couple of months' hiatus and find that you were suddenly kicked out of the clan without prior notice.
    I see much more CHOOOOs than Skwirls. So maybe the game is actually 33.3/33.3/33.3 betweeen CHOOOO, Skwirl and Sc2Maf, after all. I think it depends on who you play with.

But you're right, the community as a whole became the official "clan" of the game. Every player choosing to join these forums, the discord or a clan is choosing to be part of the community, and it might be the best thing that could ever happen to -Mafia-.

10. ISO #10

I see much more CHOOOOs than Skwirls. So maybe the game is actually 33.3/33.3/33.3 betweeen CHOOOO, Skwirl and Sc2Maf, after all. I think it depends on who you play with.

But you're right, the community as a whole became the official "clan" of the game. Every player choosing to join these forums, the discord or a clan is choosing to be part of the community, and it might be the best thing that could ever happen to -Mafia-.
    Skwirl isn't a mafia clan, they play Diablo 3 more, than SC2 maf nowdays, so only CHOOO and SC2 maf and proably EfeF are SC2 maf clans.
    I played SC2 since 2014, yes i am f2p, but i play since 2014 and i play sc2 maf only since 2017, before it i was wandering arround playground, i liked BarCraft. So i was also a bit sticked to Zombie World, before i downlowaded Bank Signer (Free SC2 Bankfile Hack). Liked also -Mineralz Evolution-, the infamous and elder version, famous one is worse...
    Now i sticked to SC2 mafia.
    I don't see much players from <SC2Maf> clan, just kick inactive members.

P.S. i hate @Distorted and Skwirl.
    Last edited by Arsonist; February 20th, 2018 at 12:40 AM.
    [SIGPIC]Why you hold cursor on my signature picture?[/SIGPIC] A very annoying SC2Mafia player.