Understanding the boundaries of Gamethrowing.
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Understanding the boundaries of Gamethrowing.

Given that this is a game of deception after all, would it be considered game-throwing or an offense (By mods, not by players who think the rules are bended due to their own massive ego) for someone, who is a town role, to lie about their role and get someone lynched based on false evidence, and their target ended up also being town? The intention of the liar was to get that person lynched, simply because they despise or wanted that person dead, but they are not aware that the person is a fellow town role, or that it would be actually disadvantageous to lynch that person. Is this considered to be playing against one's role unintentionally?

I was not quite sure where to ask this, so I posted it here. There are plenty of players who act as if the rules of the game only apply if it hurts them, or pretend they don't exist at all and make up their own rules (then complain), but this particular situation made me question on whether it falls into the boundary of gamethrowing, or is ok given the nature of the game.
    Last edited by Averis; June 8th, 2018 at 02:29 PM.

2. ISO #2
    Ganelon

Re: Understanding the boundaries of Gamethrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Averis View Post
    Given that this is a game of deception after all, would it be considered game-throwing or an offense (By mods, not by players who think the rules are bended due to their own massive ego) for someone, who is a town role, to lie about their role and get someone lynched based on false evidence, and their target ended up also being town? The intention of the liar was to get that person lynched, simply because they despise or wanted that person dead, but they are not aware that the person is a fellow town role, or that it would be actually disadvantageous to lynch that person. Is this considered to be playing against one's role unintentionally?

I was not quite sure where to ask this, so I posted it here. There are plenty of players who act as if the rules of the game only apply if it hurts them, or pretend they don't exist at all and make up their own rules (then complain), but this particular situation made me question on whether it falls into the boundary of gamethrowing, or is ok given the nature of the game.
    That depends. If their intention was to kill that player for subjective reasons (they didn't like that player), then yes. But how would you know that was the case? He may have genuinely thought he was Mafia.

3. ISO #3
    Ganelon

I am not a mod, but I can tell you that killing someone just because you don't like them isn't generally called game throwing but griefing.

4. ISO #4

Not a mod either, but this looks to be an open and shut case of griefing. Lynching a player based on out of game info, preference, or bias is not playing the game.

Context may change the scenario. The best thing you can do when you wish to ask a question like this directly to mods is to just submit the replay as a report. If the player is innocent, nothing will happen. If the player is guilty, they'll be punished. Be sure to use the correct report formatting.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Averis View Post

It will really depend on the replay. How did the player know who the other player was? What did they say? What was their role? What was the person they got lynched role?

Have you watched the replay to make sure they weren't an invest role that got false feedback/misdirected via bus or witch?

Did they admit to lying and getting that person lynched based on disliking them?

Let's go with the simplest explanation to answer your question. Then you can fill in the other variables.

Let's say they knew who that person was because something about their name revealed who they are out of game. The player lying was a citizen or something that would have no investigative power. That person openly lies to get the other person lynched because they dislike them enough to not care that they are getting rid of a teammate. That would more than likely be griefing. Now other factors and in game actions actually dictate what happens tbh. Because it could have been coincidental that the two people have beef, and the other person made a mistake.

I'd say before viewing replay, probably griefing. I need more info tho. Like SB16 said, report it.

Also, you can always check this thread for definition of crimes: https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/announcement.php?f=6

But this is griefing: Crime: Griefing
    Griefing is trolling to the point of the game being ruined.
    Examples:
    1) Lying about being a sheriff just because you want the guy with the colored name to be lynched
    2) Targeting a player because of their SC2 identity regardless of actual evidence
    3) Running a setup with Stumps or Scumbags assigned (roles which are impossible to generate without hacking one's bank or copying someone's setup who has done so).
    Type: Light
    Last edited by PowersThatBe; June 8th, 2018 at 05:07 PM.

6. ISO #6

Thank you for the replies, and yes, the target is lynched based on 0 game information and simply because they are disliked (the offender even claimed that they wanted him dead for that sole reason and completely lied about the evidence). I just wanted to confirm if that was something you could report someone for. My curiosity is satisfied, and I'm going to begin reporting players who are clearly doing this.

7. ISO #7

I agree with everyone here, and I think I'm late to the show since everything has been said. This kind of behavior is not acceptable, that's for sure, but "gamethrowing" is used in way too many situations. This is griefing, as the player's intention was simply to lynch another guy, which is not playing in the goal of the game ending in a loss, but simply putting personal vendettas before the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

8. ISO #8

There's a 1 player-exception, that can become victim of a griefin and it wouldn't be considered as a griefing:

If you lie, that you're sheriff just to lynch me or jail and execute me as a jailor just because it's me, this wouldn't be considered as a grefing, because nobody will report you. Everyone will say "good job, mate!", even if i flip as a town. Nobody also would vote you. That's why i don't play this game anymore.
    [SIGPIC]Why you hold cursor on my signature picture?[/SIGPIC] A very annoying SC2Mafia player.

9. ISO #9
    Ganelon

But, what if that someone rolls Jester and tries to target someone they don't like? Would that be griefing?
    What about an Amnesiac counter-claiming a Lookout just because they don't like that Lookout? Would that be griefing too? This one actually happened to me a few months ago, I didn't report it though.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    But, what if that someone rolls Jester and tries to target someone they don't like? Would that be griefing?
    What about an Amnesiac counter-claiming a Lookout just because they don't like that Lookout? Would that be griefing too? This one actually happened to me a few months ago, I didn't report it though.
    No both are neutral roles. Amnesiac could take over the lookout role and the town wouldn't actually lose a member. Jesters goal is to get lynched, and lying about someone is a good chance to get lynched.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    If they’re trying to lynch somebody for out of game reasons and not in game ones it’s griefing, BUT in the situations u listed it would be hard to PROVE they were griefing so the report would probably get ignored
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

12. ISO #12