S-FM Ladder Season 4 Conclusion
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

S-FM Ladder Season 4 Conclusion

Season Four of the S-FM Ladder has officially concluded!

Congratulations to @Unknown1234 for first place!
    Congratulations to @Eggy for second place!
    Congratulations to @Kovath for third place!

It's that time of the year again! The S-FM season is over, and it's time to recap. This season saw a fair number of new players, as well as a fair number of new ideas. (Newbie Games, One-day games, etc) We did have our share of... interesting rules violations; however, I feel this behavior was limited to a very small group as individuals, and as a community we rejected this behavior instead of giving into trolling ourselves.

Looking forward, I am excited to see our community grow and become more refined. We have many promising players, (such as our first-time ladder placers!) and once we fully remove the toxic elements from our community, I expect us to have the best games we've had yet. Let's Make S-FMs great again! ;)

Special shoutout to @Calix for hosting so many damned games.

Congratulations everyone!

Final Spreadsheet
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    What. You got me. Stop unvoting and stretch my neck, dammit.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

Re: S-FM Ladder Season 4 Conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    For future seasons losses shud not count as +1 on the leaderboard doesnt make sense that you can have same amount of wins and less losses but have a lower ranking than another player
    The point of the ladder is to encourage players to play and to improve their skill. Giving a point for loss is so players still feel like they got something even if they lose.

While I don't agree with your point, I am open to removing the +1 point from loss games to more strongly incentivize good play.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    Glad to see you around again, Kovath!
    Thanks! I'll be around a bit when I can - school is tough these days, I was not kind to myself with classes :P

Glad to see things still seem to be going well around here, though. Also, lol at still getting 3rd place.

Death, yet the Town.
    ~The Town Code

12. ISO #12

The point of the ladder is to encourage players to play and to improve their skill. Giving a point for loss is so players still feel like they got something even if they lose.

While I don't agree with your point, I am open to removing the +1 point from loss games to more strongly incentivize good play.
    The problem is pretty nuanced actually. Merely because you win or lose a game doesn't indicate how well you played in said game. There are plenty of examples throughout S-FM and S-FM Ladder History of players rolling the right alignment, getting mislynched on Day 1, and still getting points when the Town eventually prevailed. There's no perfect way to measure "good play" with a points system because it's subjective and not necessarily connected with winning games. Your team (whether Town or scum) might be complete crap, or might just have really bad luck (unlucky red check to start a game, etc.).

For this reason, I think a lot of the more serious players don't put a lot of credence in win-loss or ladder results in terms of measuring a player's overall skill level in a game or through a season of play.

13. ISO #13

It is entirely possible to lose games while playing well, so I don't think taking away the point will really incentivize good play that much more. If that is the intention, then the solution might be to reduce the relative value of losses in relations to wins for those who do care about the ladder - it still encourages people to play more, which should be the main objective, while increasing the relative rewards for winning.
    Death, yet the Town.
    ~The Town Code

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kovath View Post
    Thanks! I'll be around a bit when I can - school is tough these days, I was not kind to myself with classes :P

Glad to see things still seem to be going well around here, though. Also, lol at still getting 3rd place.

Starting off the ladder with a solo win makes for a pretty solid lead, lol.

15. ISO #15

Was that the Cat game? Knew it was him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    Was that the Cat game? Knew it was him.
    Shoulda lynched me, then.

[Also I'm getting this weird bug where I can't type in spaces in only THIS textbox unless I move to another line and make a space there. Any idea what's going on?]
    Death, yet the Town.
    ~The Town Code

17. ISO #17

Starting off the ladder with a solo win makes for a pretty solid lead, lol.
    Fair enough. Also, I agree with DB's point in general and reiterate I think the value from getting more players is greater than rewarding 'winners'.
    Death, yet the Town.
    ~The Town Code

18. ISO #18

Shoulda lynched me, then.

[Also I'm getting this weird bug where I can't type in spaces in only THIS textbox unless I move to another line and make a space there. Any idea what's going on?]
    I have never heard of such a thing! Have you tried restarting your browser?

19. ISO #19

I have never heard of such a thing! Have you tried restarting your browser?
    Just tried and it didn't fix it. The issue only applies on the first line after I do a Reply with Quote, not just a normal reply. Real weird.

Hehe. I dunno, I'll figure it out eventually probably.
    Death, yet the Town.
    ~The Town Code

20. ISO #20

Just tried and it didn't fix it. The issue only applies on the first line after I do a Reply with Quote, not just a normal reply. Real weird.

Hehe. I dunno, I'll figure it out eventually probably.
    I do not even.

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22