Copy pasting
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Copy pasting

1. ISO #1

Copy pasting

Out of curiousity, is it possible to code SC2mafia in such a way so that you can copy paste something from the chat box or chat logs?

Maybe you want to copy paste a bunch of LWs into a notepad as mayor in order to compare them much more easily.

Or if a mafia pm-reading role idea or something similar ever gets added, it would be useful to copy paste those encrypted PMs for this mafia role to compare

Pretty much for the sake of the QOL of roles that rely on the chat log the most (town gov for example)
    Last edited by Grakylan; August 25th, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
    https://imgur.com/a/NqMwElZ fuck it heres all the sc2mafia pics i would have put in the sig

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Copy pasting

Quote Originally Posted by Grakylan View Post
    Out of curiousity, is it possible to code SC2mafia in such a way so that you can copy paste something from the chat box or chat logs?

Maybe you want to copy paste a bunch of LWs into a notepad as mayor in order to compare them much more easily.

Or if a mafia pm-reading role idea or something similar ever gets added, it would be useful to copy paste those encrypted PMs for this mafia role to compare

Pretty much for the sake of the QOL of roles that rely on the chat log the most (town gov for example)
    I've had a good bit of time now to get familiar with the chat system it and I'd like to expand upon it in the future.

I'm not sure if you ever played -- but Epicmafia has a feature similar to what you're suggestion that I do enjoy. Basically you can double click on something that had been posted previously in the game (perhaps the day before) and it will submit what they said as a quote. You can see the players Dynomax & Vilden using it here. I'm on the fence about expanding last wills, I think there is a skill to writing shorthand. PM's would likely not be quotable by their nature. Quotes are a very effective debate tool so I'd love to have something like this in the game.

A concern is spam -- I've already said I'll enforce more strictly on spammers. It's tricky however, as urgency is an understandable feeling in Mafia and 15 players can be very vocal about how important a lynch is. Expanding how large the chat box is will be necessary, but also takes time.

Let me know if I misunderstood you,

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    I'm not sure if you ever played -- but Epicmafia has a feature similar to what you're suggestion that I do enjoy. Basically you can double click on something that had been posted previously in the game (perhaps the day before) and it will submit what they said as a quote. You can see the players Dynomax & Vilden using it here.
    If highlighting things in the chat log (Dragging mouse while holding Left mouse button) or copy pasting from the chat log in SC2 isnt possible, having a copy button next to each chat message would also be a good idea thats close to the QOL change people might like to see.

I'm on the fence about expanding last wills, I think there is a skill to writing shorthand. PM's would likely not be quotable by their nature. Quotes are a very effective debate tool so I'd love to have something like this in the game.
    I did not say I wanted LW space ingame to be expanded, it has plenty of space for basically all roles to put some information down.
    I agree with you that people need to learn to shorthand wills.
    The problem with the LW gui is that sometimes you might click one extra time and accidentially backspace your entire LW when you only intended to backspace one character. That's why I write my LWs on notepad now, to reduce that risk.

Expanding how large the chat box is will be necessary, but also takes time.
    I think both the chat box size and the font size are fine. Hell, since I played on a small laptop, I always did -enlarge to increase the font size. Once again, players just need to learn to condense what they say in one message or one last will.

A concern is spam -- I've already said I'll enforce more strictly on spammers. It's tricky however, as urgency is an understandable feeling in Mafia and 15 players can be very vocal about how important a lynch is.
    You talk about spamming like its an unwanted guest. Yea, spamming unrelated shit is bad (unless you are jester or trying to act like one), but spamming information (or misinformation) is a valid tactic in my opinion that is more effective than you think.

Am I mayor? I will spam ".-pm # ROLE AND LW NOW OR BE LYNCHED" until spam protection cucks me.
    Am I insert town role and I got proof that someone is lying? I restate the lie in his words, state the proof, then PUT UP #, and copy paste that into one message and spam it until spam protection cucks me.
    Am I jester? Probably the only time I might spam unrelated shit.
    Am I godfather and I want to get someone lynched? All I just have to spam is "PUT UP SOMEONE FOR ROLE AND LW, -SKIP IS SUS", and I will spam it until spam protection cucks me.

And when I spam, most of the time I get my way, even without revealing my role.
    https://imgur.com/a/NqMwElZ fuck it heres all the sc2mafia pics i would have put in the sig

5. ISO #5

-Edit Boxes are the only type of dialog items that you can interact with. They can't be used in a traditional way like that. An invisible 'button' can be placed over each text submitted to make it 'interactive' for example, quoting a player when clicked.

-Thats a limitation of edit boxes and the SC2 game engine. This occurs in any game that have a large number of edit boxes particularly when they're changing a lot e,g at night.

-Spamming can be seen as an annoyance a crutch or a skill however you like to look at it. My point was when 3+ more people at spamming it makes communication difficult. That's more of an administrative topic.