Why "hidden"?
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Why "hidden"?

1. ISO #1

Why "hidden"?

Who, why and how came up with the idea to call "Random" roles "Hidden"?

I honestly fail to see the logic in it.
    Not sure how would one figure it out without knowing it beforehand or someone saying it or setup saying it. Seems to me like a way to needlessly make the game more complicated for newer players?

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Why "hidden"?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Firebringer had a mad do and complained about dat shit. Bout people calling it random when its not random.

Hidden= Handpicked buy Host
    Random= Chosen by "random" selection
    I see.
    As logical as it is - it's still just making the game more complicated for newer players. And the reason behind it's existence is nerd rage from experienced players. Great

Tbh, I am so dumb that I just few minutes ago realized that hidden="random".

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I see.
    As logical as it is - it's still just making the game more complicated for newer players. And the reason behind it's existence is nerd rage from experienced players. Great

Tbh, I am so dumb that I just few minutes ago realized that hidden="random".
    Yeh, you just have to trust the host.
    As a host, one of your main objectives is strive to make a highly balanced game to make it as competitive and fun playing as possible ^^
    Selecting what roles allows you to have much more control over the balance.

One of the biggest problems with true random, is how fucked up the game can roll :P
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    It took me reading several setups in a row to realize that "hidden townie" =/= "citizen".

I am not a smart person, I don't deny that. But you got your answer.
    In setups with lots of rng having lots of random elements is completely gamebreaking so most hosts will just kind of chill with handpicking it.
    Then firebringer threw a fit over the terminology.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

8. ISO #8

Honestly, I think it's nice to have that kind of transparency. The terrible site layout is probably causing more hassle to noobs than terminology choices. IIRC, I spent years intermittently lurking in mafia discussion until I realized the main function of the site was to play mafia games LOL.

In general, I think the host should be as unambiguous as possible about things like role selection. Many setups can benefit a lot from their own ambiguity, but setups with fewer ambiguous features are harder to host meta.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Honestly, I think it's nice to have that kind of transparency. The terrible site layout is probably causing more hassle to noobs than terminology choices. IIRC, I spent years intermittently lurking in mafia discussion until I realized the main function of the site was to play mafia games LOL.

In general, I think the host should be as unambiguous as possible about things like role selection. Many setups can benefit a lot from their own ambiguity, but setups with fewer ambiguous features are harder to host meta.
    Thank you for teaching me 2 new words.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Yeh, you just have to trust the host.
    As a host, one of your main objectives is strive to make a highly balanced game to make it as competitive and fun playing as possible ^^
    Selecting what roles allows you to have much more control over the balance.

One of the biggest problems with true random, is how fucked up the game can roll :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

11. ISO #11

I like that 'Hidden' Exists. It adds something to figure out. Sure its almost always not random but it creates a game environment thats positive to the experience available in being played.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Arsonist View Post
    is the best host ever!!!
    Jajajaja after all, he reached his goal: he is the host we have the most fun with!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :