[ROLE IDEAS] The Dead-Interaction Roles: Medium, Retributionist, Necromancer
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

[ROLE IDEAS] The Dead-Interaction Roles: Medium, Retributionist, Necromancer

The one thing I miss about Town of Salem is the Medium and Retributionist, and a widely-suggested role idea there is the Necromancer.

Medium
    Town Investigative?

Day Ability: Can decide who to seance.
    Night Ability: Can talk with the dead
    Attributes:
    - You will anonymously speak with the dead and see their chat at night.
    - The dead is anonymous to you as well.
    - Once dead, you may speak to a live person at night. (called seance
    Variables:
    - Can seance once/twice/thrice (DEFAULT: Once)
    Results:
    Sheriff: Innocent
    Investigator: Disturbing the Peace

Reasoning: Being dead sucks. There is not much to do, and you can not earn much from staying to the end if you end up losing. With the implementation of the Medium and/or the other two roles listed below, dead townies can help the medium, and dead anti-townies can fool them, and if the Medium dies, he can tell the dead's feedback to a living person at night, allowing them to record it in their LW. He can also counter the Janitor/Incense Master, given that the other hard counter, Coroner, is very rare to see.

Ex: An investigator finds the Godfather, but he is killed and cleaned by the Mafia. However, lets pretend that the day after the invest died, the consigilere is lynched. Thus, the invest will be telling the medium the next night who is GF, but the consig may take the anonymity to his own advantage and counter the invest's leads, confusing the Medium. If it was not for the invest, the Medium can be fooled to accusing the wrong person as being Mafia, and if not for the dirty little lying consig, than the Medium will be told a crucial piece of info, and can write it in his LW, announce it the next day, or PM a confirmed townie the info.

Retributionist
    Town Power

Day Ability: NONE
    Night Ability: Revive any dead townie at night, allowing him to come back the next day.
    Attributes:
    - You may only revive n number of times. (depending on the variables)
    - You can not revive Town Power and Town Government roles (except Bus Driver, Mason, and Citizen)
    - If you have 2 revives, you can not revive the same person twice.
    Variables:
    - Can revive one/two dead townies. (Default: ONE)

Results:
    Sheriff: Innocent
    Investigator: No crime

Reasoning: The Retributionist can be an "one-trick dog" role, although easy to confirm oneself. This is why it is a Town Power role, since it is hard to counter-claim a ret claiming to have done his action after a townie comes alive, but they will not be too powerful, since after they use up their one or two revives, they are basically a citizen without vests, but with a status as a definite townie, allowing role calls in the absence of another Town Power/Government role, or when the Mayor/Marshall has not revealed yet. This can also provide another reason for townies to stay, with the hopes that there can be a second chance (unless it is confirmed that a Ret is impossible).
    So not only can they be a confirmed town, but they can also boost the town by numbers and capabilities in an emergency situation.

Example: The bodyguard has just died protecting the mayor, killing an Enforcer in the process. The mayor is saved from one threat, but still has the Dragon Head, a Witch controlling a Vigilante, and an Arsonist to worry about. Thus, the Retributionist revives the Bodyguard. (For all intents and purposes, let's pretend that the Detective can see who the Ret decides to revive) The Detective than reports that he saw the Ret "visit" the now-alive bodyguard, confirming him and cementing his position in the town. This means there are two confirmed townies (the Mayor and the Ret), and the Bodyguard can protect a townie again. If anyone doubts them, the Retributionist can revive another townie to prove themselves, if possible.
    Now let's say the Bodyguard dies again protecting the Mayor, this time, he gets the Arsonist at the cost of his own life. The Retributionist (let's assume he has 2 revives) can not re-revive the same bodyguard, and must revive someone else.

(Possibily OP and balance-upsetting)

Necromancer
    Neutral Benign

Day Ability: Decide who to revive the first moment night comes.
    Night Ability: None
    Attributes:
    - You may only revive n number of times. (depending on the variables)
    - You can not revive unique roles (except the MM) or the Jester.
    - Reviving a killing role (Town Killing, Godfather, Dragon Head, Arsonist, Serial Killer, and Mass Murderer) takes up 2 revives instead of one if the Revive Number attribute is set to 2. If set to 1, it takes up your only revive.
    - Anyone who you select to revive at day will be brought back alive when night begins instead of when day begins.
    Variables:
    - Can revive one/two dead roles. (Default: ONE)

Results:
    Sheriff: None
    Investigator: None

Reasoning: They are also a wild card that can tip the favor of the game to whoever the Necromancer decides to align themselves with.
    The reason for the 2 revives for 1 killer attribute is that, imo, a necro who can revive one killing role and one non-killing role, or even TWO killing roles, may be too OP, and can greatly boost the faction whose killing role is brought back and active.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5
    Athen, 399 before Jesus Christ, Socrates killed by democracy (281 votes for guilty, 220 votes innocent) :
    Socrates Defense
    How you have felt, O men of Athens, at hearing the speeches of my accusers, I cannot tell; but I know that their persuasive words almost made me forget who I was - such was the effect of them; and yet they have hardly spoken a word of truth.

6. ISO #6

Re: [ROLE IDEAS] The Dead-Interaction Roles: Medium, Retributionist, Necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Larrite View Post
    Lol, this.
    Just to show how much desperate is the role that can (talk to dead person) op too much. Once you can talk to dead person. You can be more powerful than a investigators with detected exact role. You gain too much evidence. Which make you more powerful than coroner (because dead person already tell you what did they do, who killed them, etc)
    The dead....should stay dead. Go play roulette instead, or go afk until game ended for free point.

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

7. ISO #7

Re: [ROLE IDEAS] The Dead-Interaction Roles: Medium, Retributionist, Necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitaka Oni View Post
    Just to show how much desperate is the role that can (talk to dead person) op too much. Once you can talk to dead person. You can be more powerful than a investigators with detected exact role. You gain too much evidence. Which make you more powerful than coroner (because dead person already tell you what did they do, who killed them, etc)
    The dead....should stay dead. Go play roulette instead, or go afk until game ended for free point.
    Agreed -- having access to dead people provides way too much information to the Town and completely turns on its head much of the value of night killing a player. They're going to be able to participate for the whole game, which means the Town will have a lot more opinions and voices that can constantly chime in. Also, it completely messes up a number of Mafia roles like Disguiser -- where it would be trivial to figure out who that person was with access to dead chat. There's also something to be said for finality where you can talk about the game once you died and not tilt the balance of the ongoing game.

8. ISO #8

When I played TOS, I loathed Retributionist, especially if I was mafia. It meant that if you killed a Jailor N1, it would backfire on you because the bleeding Retributionist would turn that accomplishment on its head and confirm two towns the following morning. You ended up having to write a long message to the potential revived player just before day starts in order to have a shot at counterclaiming them. (it was one of my preferred fake-claims for this reason)

Medium was one of my favourite roles, largely because the dead chat was usually filled with spam/ trolling. Thus, you were basically a glorified Citizen with the ability to quote the salty dead players. It's also a good fake-claim for the mafia since you cannot 100% confirm yourself unless there are multiple Mediums around but given the roles in the sc2mod, I wouldn't recommend implementing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orpz View Post
    Why'd you leave out the sun emoji? I think it creates a huge sense of tone that is critical for the interpretation of the chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM Romeo View Post
    Go fuck yourself in the cucho.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed
    Your accent has ruined medieval fantasy films.

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    Or we could just make the medium mafia aligned :P
    Glorify the Mafioso.

Though to be of any use, the order of operations of Consig would need to be changed to before death.
    Not worth implementing.
    But, if the Medium can only roll Mafia, no one is going to listen to the Medium. Seems pretty worthless to me then compared to any other Mafia role, lol.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessB View Post
    But, if the Medium can only roll Mafia, no one is going to listen to the Medium. Seems pretty worthless to me then compared to any other Mafia role, lol.
    Or worse, they believe you're skyping

v)o.o)^

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessB View Post
    Yuki would never Skype or make a very bad name to himself. v)o.o)>
    What is skype, Plz teach ^)o.o)>
    Last edited by Yukitaka Oni; May 5th, 2016 at 01:38 PM.

v)o.o)^