Spirit Medium, Spirit Medium, where are thou?
Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Spirit Medium should be...

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Updated into the game in the soonest possible patch, left just the way it was

5 21.74%
  • Put back into the "Next Roles Poll", and its fate should be decided from their

5 21.74%
  • Have its abilitys and conditions edited, then be put back into the "Next roles Poll"

7 30.43%
  • Never talked of again

6 26.09%
  1. ISO #1

Spirit Medium, Spirit Medium, where are thou?

A long, long time ago, many people were very interested in the idea of having a Spirit Medium. The basic idea behind this role would be that it would be able to talk with dead people at night. It was previously put in the "Next Roles Poll", got the most votes, was supposedly going to be added some time in the future, and was never heard from again. I think False Truth said on the Mafia channel that DR had gone off the idea of haveing a role like this. I was a big fan of haveing Spirit Mediums at the time, and I'm just interested to know if anyone still thinks this kinda role has potential.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3
    AscendedOne

Re: Spirit Medium, Spirit Medium, where are thou?

There is simply no reason to add spirit medium into the game. It doesn't make the game any more interesting.

4. ISO #4
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by AscendedOne View Post
    There is simply no reason to add spirit medium into the game. It doesn't make the game any more interesting.
    Yes, it would very much indeed, but only if no one would cheat. Which leads us to the conclusion that it should never ever ever ever be implemented. Some people even make lag intentionally, so that they can tell others role in the lag screen.

5. ISO #5

*Pop spawns as Spirit Medium*
    Pop: FUCK YES!
    Night 1:
    Ash is slit open
    Goonswarm is shot

*Pop looks at dead chat*
    Ash:PULL
    PULL
    PULL
    PULL IT U FUCKING IDIOT PULL TWICE
    WTF U FUCKING PUSSY
    Goonswarm: Ash, stfu
    I'm gonna get my marine model after I win this
    Ash: FUCK
    I HATE 2 SHOT
    FUCKING GAY
    Goonswarm: LOLOL MARINE MODEL HERE I COME
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    End of discussion
    Spirit medium WILL NOT be implemented.

Spoiler : FM Roles :
    FM I: FalseTruth the Half-Breed | FM II: FalseTruth the Plato's Bitch | FM III: Co-Host | FM IV: Gabriele the Dirty Nazi Hookah | FM V: Theodore the Ambitious | FM VI: FalseTruth the Bothersome Sloth | FM VII: Peter the Troll | FM VIII: Host | FM IX: Larisa the Cappertiller | FM X: FM Lysergic the Evil Genius | FM XI: Udyr the Lurking Oracle

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by FalseTruth View Post
    *Pop spawns as Spirit Medium*
    Pop: FUCK YES!
    Night 1:
    Ash is slit open
    Goonswarm is shot

*Pop looks at dead chat*
    Ash:PULL
    PULL
    PULL
    PULL IT U FUCKING IDIOT PULL TWICE
    WTF U FUCKING PUSSY
    Goonswarm: Ash, stfu
    I'm gonna get my marine model after I win this
    Ash: FUCK
    I HATE 2 SHOT
    FUCKING GAY
    Goonswarm: LOLOL MARINE MODEL HERE I COME
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    End of discussion
    Spirit medium WILL NOT be implemented.
    Lol, I remember you saying that in the loby before a game.
    I still believe the dead can give useful pieces of info, and while it COULD increase cheating, I dont think it should be shunned for that reason alone

7. ISO #7
    Achelon

I think the problem with the spirit medium is that most people imagine it in tandem with the metagame as it is now, I mean, how many times haven't you been in the death chat, and then a dead mafia member outed who the GF was in the death chat? They feel no discomfort with doing this, seeing as you can't communicate with living players, except for in the lag box.

However if a spirit medium was added, the metagame would change, mafia members wouldn't just out their other mafia members in the chat, in fear of there being a Spirit Medium, you can compare it to a game where the mafia suspects there is a spy, compared to one where they are assured there isn't.

The spirit medium could even work in the mafia's favour, by having the mafia spreading lies and deceit in the death chat.

The reason the spirit medium wouldn't work as it is now, is because the metagame of the death chat doesn't support it very well as it is now, but I think the metagame would change with its implementation.

For me the only negative side about implementing the spirit medium, is that you now have to be cautious in the death chat, and that you're essentially still a part of the game even though you're dead, one thing I like about the death chat is the ability to speak freely, make a few bets on who the GF, SK, arsonist etc. is and the like, that freedom of speech would be severly limited with the inclusion of a spirit medium.

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

not really, goon, no, he made a great point about the metagame changing..... which it would
    FMIII: Citizen | FMIV: Vigilante | FMV: Bus Driver | FMVII: Godfather | FMVI: Sinner | FMVIII: Lookout | FM IX: Citizen/Proletariat | FMX: Veteran/Survivor/Framer | FMXI: Mafioso | FMXII: Coroner | FMXIII: Bus Driver | FMXIV: Vigilante | FMXV: Student

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfire123 View Post
    not really, goon, no, he made a great point about the metagame changing..... which it would
    Most people just afk when dead. Honestly there have been so many better suggestions for roles than this. The potential for trolling and griefing as well as overall stupidity is too great for this.
    *reserved*

11. ISO #11
    AdmiralCain

Quote Originally Posted by Goonswarm View Post
    Anything that can communicate with the dead has massive cheating and grief potential. If this role somehow was implemented it would never see play in any game I host.
    I see "grief" potential but not cheating potential. If talking to the dead is part of the game, it's not a cheat anymore (for that one player who is spirit medium). Actually, it would cut down on some cheating because some of the illegal communication would become legal and fewer people would feel the need to illegally skype, etc. ;D

Also, a spirit medium can be tricked/"played" the same way a Spy can, so I don't think this is OP.

12. ISO #12
    Yarr

Sure, it's a weak role. But because its cult, it beats the vanilla Cultist role. The role is fine the way it is. It adds flare to an otherwise powerless role.

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Yarr View Post
    Sure, it's a weak role. But because its cult, it beats the vanilla Cultist role. The role is fine the way it is. It adds flare to an otherwise powerless role.
    It's not cult. Same colors =/= alignment.

Spoiler : FM Roles :
    FM I: FalseTruth the Half-Breed | FM II: FalseTruth the Plato's Bitch | FM III: Co-Host | FM IV: Gabriele the Dirty Nazi Hookah | FM V: Theodore the Ambitious | FM VI: FalseTruth the Bothersome Sloth | FM VII: Peter the Troll | FM VIII: Host | FM IX: Larisa the Cappertiller | FM X: FM Lysergic the Evil Genius | FM XI: Udyr the Lurking Oracle