New Roles: Preist & Spirit Medium
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

New Roles: Preist & Spirit Medium

Priest (Adv./Town)
    You are a holy man in search of answers.
    Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

- Targets one person at night. That person gives the priest a confession and is role-blocked (ignoring role-block immunity) for the night and tells the preist their exact role, ignoring framing, and detection immunity. They may also talk with the preist that night (similar to the jailor)
    - As this is too powerful to be done every night, there will be a limit based one setting.
    - Preist may target the same person multiple times, but will only benefit from the role-blocking, as they will already know their target's role.
    - No setting can allow for more than 3 confessions. The default will be 3 if no amount is specified in the settings.

Options:
    - Limit: 1 confession
    - Limit: 2 confessions
    - Preist is not killed by a serial killer who kills role-blockers
    - Can't be healed (not set on this one, but thought it might help if people feel that Priest would otherwise be too powerful)

Spirit Medium (Adv./Town)
    You are a psychic in touch with the spirit realm.
    Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

I've come up with a few ways this role could work. Since I can't settle on which one I like best, I'll list them all and let you decide.

Idea #1 (essentially spy, but for dead people)

- Hear the dead. Can see the chat of dead people (could possibly work like spy with names being anonymous. Perhaps by setting.)

Idea #2 (necro-jailor)

- Speak with the dead. Can type a command during the day that allows them to pick one dead person to communicate with at night. (Would probably have some kind of limit. Spirit Medium's name can be anonymous like the jailor's while jailing)

Idea #3 (I have no comparison for this one)

- Summon a Spirit. Can target one dead person at night. The target will be able speak to the town during the day (and maybe even vote).

The ability for the target to vote would allow a late-game spirit medium to break a voting stalemate with the mafia or cult in the absence of a living mayor. Could even allow a revived mayor his full voting power (based on setting) This power should be limited to a maximum of 2 or 3 uses.

Idea #4 (again, no good comparison here)

- Channeling. Can target one dead person at night to be "channeled". That person and the Spirit Medium will swap for a day- meaning the dead person will talk through the spirit medium and the spirit medium will spend the day in the land of the dead, being able to participate in their chat through the spirit of the person they're channeling.

This could be really powerful, as it allows both a dead town to try convince the town to lynch, AND it allows the spirit medium to get information from the dead. Due to its power, it should probably be limited to one or two uses.

This role has a similar weakness to the coroner- it's not really of any use on night one.

An additional weakness that its effectiveness is that it depends on players who stay to the end instead of leaving right after they die. This role could potentially encourage people (particularly townies) to stay even when they believe their side has lost in the hope that the Spirit Medium will turn the tide, but that might be too optimistic.
    Last edited by Gerik; May 2nd, 2012 at 06:12 PM.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: New Roles: Preist & Spirit Medium

Wow. Can't believe I didn't catch the spelling errors. And I'm usually very careful about it too. Bleh. I blame finals week.

Checked your role? If you're saying that you suggested roles like mine before, then I have no knowledge of that. Only other ones I've seen were the werewolf, and the cthulu/joker suggestion. I'm pretty new to the forums, you see.

As for the roles being imbalanced, I don't think so- not if limits are placed on them. I'm sure the mafia will get new roles too to help balance it. And hell, these are just rough ideas. They can be modified to be less powerful if that's what it takes.

5. ISO #5