Luna's Guide to Forum Mafia (Slightly Outdated)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Post Luna's Guide to Forum Mafia (Slightly Outdated)

Some people have approached me recently asking for some help when it comes to playing forum mafia. These days most of the community understands the general etiquette and mechanics of how to play a game on the forum; these details are no longer discussed, and slightly vary from game to game. Instead of replying to every message I receive, I thought it would be handy to quickly discuss some of the general rules which we abide by as a community. There are two separate categories of people which need help; potential players, and potential hosts.

How to play a game of forum mafia:

How to sign up for a game:

Most people can work this out, but here it is anyway. When Forum Mafia (FM), the main game, is in its signup phase, it's fairly easy to spot. It is usually advertised in the News section of the website, on the front page. Generally all you have to do is type /sign in the thread to show your interest in playing the game.

Smaller games are also run on a more regular basis in the Mini Forum Mafia (M-FM) section of the website. Under the 'Signups' segment, Hosts will usually place a signup thread when their setup has been approved. Once again, type /sign or something similar to show your interest in the game.

Things to note: Every single game run on this website is run on the sole discretion of the host. A Host does not 'need' to post public signups, even though this is the standard practice. A Host also does not 'need' to accept you into a game - it takes a lot of work to create a game, and forum mafia relies solely on the people playing to make it as exciting and active as possible. If you feel you've been unfairly treated you can always contact a site moderator, but the easiest way to prevent this from happening is to follow Wheaton's Law - Don't be a Dick.

How the day chat works:

Once you're in a game, you'll usually be sent a role card by the Host just before the game begins. The most important thing to do is READ EVERYTHING THE HOST WRITES. When the game begins the Host will create a thread; for FM and M-FM this will generally manifest itself as a 'Day 1' thread. For Simple Forum Mafia (S-FM) this will manifest itself as a 'Game' thread (because in S-FM all the action takes place in a single thread, as opposed to a separate thread for each day).

The Host will tell everyone when the thread is open and you may talk.

Just like SC2 Mafia, in the standard game of forum mafia everyone chats for a while and may vote to lynch someone. Unlike SC2 Mafia, the day can last anywhere from 24 hours to 72 hours (or longer).

Lynching:

We don't have a button to vote to lynch anyone in forum mafia. As you can imagine, it can be quite difficult for a host to read through all the posts in a thread and decipher who is voting for who without a simple system. This system may differ from game to game, but the simple version is this;

To vote to lynch someone, type in bold and in the colour stated by the host (usually red). This style of writing is reserved for voting - your vote will not be counted if it is not formatted correctly!

A vote should normally look like this

-vote Luna

or some minor variation of this.

You may unvote and re-vote for someone else. You may only have a single active vote at a time. If someone meets the required number of votes for a lynch, the day will end.

Things to note: This is the standard formula. Each game may have their own little quirks - many new players have been confused because they've been introduced through games with variations like Forum Mafia X. If in doubt, ask your host. Variations may include; the day chat continuing after a hammered lynch, being allowed to vote on multiple people, your vote being locked in once you have cast it.

One small note; hosts may or may not make this compulsory, but it's very helpful if a Vote Tally is posted at regular intervals in a game. While the host will recount the votes, players should strive to keep an updated tally. This is not just for the host's benefit, but for the players as well.

The Vote Tally will usually be in the same colour as the votes, and look something like this (the names on the left denote the target of the votes, the number in the brackets denotes the number of votes cast on them, and the names on the right denote the people who have cast those votes) -

My amazing vote tally:

Captain Malcolm Reynolds (1) - Luna
    Jayne (4) - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Inara, Kaylee, Simon
    River (1) - Jayne

Alternatively, If the host has decided to use the automatic vote counter, votes are done with the [VOTE]Exact Name[/VOTE] tags. A player cannot vote for themselves, and a topic automatically closes once a majority is received. To view the current tally, click on "Vote Count" at the top of the thread.
    To skip vote, use [VOTE]skip[/VOTE]. To unvote, use [UNVOTE][/UNVOTE].
    As a side note, you can't do two votes in one post (this includes unvoting).

Night Actions:

Hosts will often instruct players on how to use their abilities when they give the players their role cards. The most important thing to note is this - pretty much every single action is sent in a Private Message to the Host. It can either be in the subject of the PM or in the body, most hosts aren't too fussed.

As a rule, this usually applies to the Mafia/Cult/Mason night actions too. Some Mafia teams forget this. It doesn't matter if you post it in bold red letters in your night chat, it is not an official action unless it is sent to the Host in a PM. Why is this important? Well, each individual night chat member may have their own reasons for hiding their night actions. It also helps the Host out more than you may think, each night chat is usually chock full of different strategies and night action ideas, and one person may say 'Okay this is the final decision' but no one else may agree - the Host needs that clearly defined 'This is what I want to do' message.

Common Rules:

Again, this is just an amalgamation of a few things which are an unwritten code in forum mafia; each game has its own foibles, but I think these are some standard rules which one should keep in mind and ask their Host about if its unclear.

a) No PMs or Rep Messages
    - Whilst it may be a host option on SC2 Mafia, due to the nature of these forums it's fairly unfeasible to have a PM system in place. It's difficult to police, but everyone is honourable as far I can tell, and if anyone breaks the rules they do get found out. Rep messages are messages sent to users via attaching a message to the 'Add Reputation' command. This was only thrown into the spotlight in FMVIII where it was allowed - it was actually quite an interesting mechanic. Not only do most games not work well with this mechanic, though, but in S-FM/M-FM we use our own accounts, and some of us can actually see who we get rep messages from which creates an unfair advantage. The general consensus is that no PMs or Rep Messages are allowed unless specifically stated by the Host.

b) No discussion about the game outside of the game chat
    - This means no talking about the game to people on Skype, etc. about the game you are currently in. This applies even if you are on the same team (i.e. Mafia speaking to each other in private). Just try to be patient and not discuss an ongoing game, even if you're speaking to someone involved in it try not to give them any details. Besides, it's more fun if your mate who isn't playing has to try and guess what role you are based on the day chat!

c) No editing your posts
    - For FM this isn't an issue (the anonymous accounts can have editing disabled). Since S-FM/M-FM uses personal accounts, this can be an issue. In fact most new players edit one of their posts almost immediately - this is a good example of why this post exists. A Host (especially a newer host) is probably expecting their players to know the agreed upon etiquette of forum mafia, even if these rules aren't stated.

If anyone can think of any common rules which should be mentioned, say so in this thread.

How to Host a game of forum mafia:

For starters, read up on the various posts around the M-FM section on this issue regarding setup approvals etc.

Anyone may try and get a S-FM setup approved. You may only host a M-FM if you have first hosted a S-FM. The main FM is on a restricted host list; this is mainly because of security issues, the FM Game Master account has certain site privileges which need to be given to responsible hosts. 'Flavour' forum mafia (F-FM) was a movement spearheaded by FalseTruth, essentially M-FM which only moderators can host, though I don't know what happened to the first F-FM that was planned.

This post just touches on some of the basic mechanics of hosting - for more information and tips, see my guide on hosting; Hosting Tips & Tricks

Game threads:

An M-FM Host may create a thread for each day. A S-FM Host may only use a single thread for their game. Hosts can close and open their own threads in the Ongoing Games section.

It is a good idea to have an Information and FAQ thread in the Ongoing Games section when your game is active - this post can include the Role List, Role Cards, Rule settings and a constantly updating FAQ. If you ask me I can move a thread of yours from M-FM Parking/Setup Approvals/Signups into the Ongoing Games section to act as your Information thread.

Dead chat for S-FM/M-FM is usually handled on an external site, check the hosting guide for more info (note that one of the sites mentioned, forumcow, is currently offline). Dead chat for FM is handled on these forums, on a hidden subforum.

Signups and Rules:

Try to give as much information to your players as possible, no one likes a rules dispute popping up mid-game, and people want to know what they're signing up for. A setup won't be approved until the setup has some clear rules stated.

Once again, you may not post signups until you see your game get approved in this post; Currently Available Games. I try to keep it as updated as possible, and when I approve a setup I usually update it at the same time.

Forum mafia is different because it is not handled by a computer:

This is one of the most common situations which new hosts come up against. A forum game can't be treated as a straight up port of a SC2 Mafia game - automated mafia games like SC2 Mafia and EpicMafia require a computer to create a setup and fill it with randomized roles, because everyone that can see the game is involved in it, and the game needs to be fair.

You need to free your mind from the restrictions that are put in place specifically for the sake of the CPU. For starters, in forum games there are no [Random] roles; the roles list can be hand-crafted by the host because the host is obviously allowed to see all the roles, what is the point of randomizing anything when you can tailor-make a game the way you want it? This is why we use [Hidden] roles.

Also, this post only exists because hosts have been lacking some basic fundamental information in their games. Tell your players everything - tell them how to vote, what colour to vote in, how long the days are and whether or not a lynch will end the day. Tell them if mayor reveals and vigilante day shots need to be PM'd or revealed in day chat. Tell them whether PMs are allowed, tell them how many votes they get. ASSUME NOTHING.

Handling the players:

It can be confusing to host a game, it has a lot of work involved in it.

Rolecards need to be sent to each player.
    Log all the night actions which are messaged to you.
    Have a clear order of operations, so you know how all the night actions interact with eachother, and try not to make any mistakes.

Managing votes:

The easiest way to keep track of votes is with the automatic vote counter. To use it, a tag must be used in your opening post: [L]#[/L], where # = votes needed to lynch. The next day, the [RESETCOUNT][/RESETCOUNT] tag must be used to reset the previous day's votes.
    A Mayor may be selected by using [MAYOR]playerid,#[/MAYOR]. The player ID can be found on their profile page, and # is the number of votes the Mayor's vote is worth.

I can't really think of anything else which we haven't already covered in any of the stickies.

So that's a few basics. As I said, I just threw this post together to answer some queries I've been getting. To all the Hosts; remember that you have to include these basic instructions, you can't assume that people know how mafia works in a forum environment.
    Last edited by Cryptonic; November 2nd, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
    Spoiler : Previous FM roles :
    FM - VI: Commoner | VII: (Lionel) Gunner, Shinra Inc. | VIII: Investigator | X: (HerrZynisch) Black Wizard | (Graves) Citizen | XII: (Ser Jorah) Armoursmith | XIII: Host (Roxy)!
    M-FM- I: Host | II: Framer | III: Host | IV: Exe | V: Devil Dog | VI: Exe | VIII: DD
    S-FM - I: Jailor | II: Vigilante | V: Sheriff | CI: Paranoid Cop | Torment: Citizen

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: How to play forum mafia games

Quote Originally Posted by Goremancer View Post
    Wow now we even got a thread on how to play M-FMs. Back in mah days you just gotta herp and derp through the game >:^(
    Some of us actually included instructions on how to play when we hosted xD

Besides, you're STILL herping and derping your way through games, Mr. "I was witched last night lololololol" :P
    Spoiler : Previous FM roles :
    FM - VI: Commoner | VII: (Lionel) Gunner, Shinra Inc. | VIII: Investigator | X: (HerrZynisch) Black Wizard | (Graves) Citizen | XII: (Ser Jorah) Armoursmith | XIII: Host (Roxy)!
    M-FM- I: Host | II: Framer | III: Host | IV: Exe | V: Devil Dog | VI: Exe | VIII: DD
    S-FM - I: Jailor | II: Vigilante | V: Sheriff | CI: Paranoid Cop | Torment: Citizen

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Some of us actually included instructions on how to play when we hosted xD

Besides, you're STILL herping and derping your way through games, Mr. "I was witched last night lololololol" :P
    Life is a learning experience :P And so are Forum Mafias. The more I derp the more I learn
    https://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes5/p...opolis/cr7.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by GriM-DeMoN
    NO FUCK U IM CITIZEN
    Cock urself cuntosaurus

5. ISO #5

Read through this thing..

Next time I host a S-FM/M-FM, Im going to wait until I get 2~ reserves.
    Especially after my game was NEARLY derailed over Keystone turning out to be banned, and SpaZZtik AFKing to death.
    Spoiler : FM History :
    FM8 - Bebe(Citizen) FM9-Prokofi(German Medic) FM10- CptKirk(Citizen) FM11 - Caitlyn(Abstergo Agent/Citizen)
    M-FM1-Veteran(Durante) M-FM2-Detective M-FM 4- Student(Nina Einstein) M-FM6- Armorsmith
    Misc: Why-FOM (M-FM 1), SFM: The Experiment: Hosted

6. ISO #6

b) No discussion about the game outside of the game chat
    - This means no talking about the game to people on Skype, etc. about the game you are currently in. This applies even if you are on the same team (i.e. Mafia speaking to each other in private). Just try to be patient and not discuss an ongoing game, even if you're speaking to someone involved in it try not to give them any details. Besides, it's more fun if your mate who isn't playing has to try and guess what role you are based on the day chat!

No one follows this rule
    FMIII: Citizen | FMIV: Vigilante | FMV: Bus Driver | FMVII: Godfather | FMVI: Sinner | FMVIII: Lookout | FM IX: Citizen/Proletariat | FMX: Veteran/Survivor/Framer | FMXI: Mafioso | FMXII: Coroner | FMXIII: Bus Driver | FMXIV: Vigilante | FMXV: Student

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Goremancer View Post
    Life is a learning experience :P And so are Forum Mafias. The more I derp the more I learn
    lul. so true. who reads the manuals anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfire

No one follows this rule
    haha. I do! I guess i'm that odd wierdo O,o
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusco View Post
    Dirty fucking swiss neutral