lmaooo anyone who still supports trump is actually a genuine fucking dumbass - Page 2
Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #51

Re: lmaooo anyone who still supports trump is actually a genuine fucking dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Lol maybe my Google is weird or something. But like many of the results I got didn’t even discuss the study - they just went on to say why the study is wrong.

Personally, I mentioned this because I find it offensive when people call all Trump supporters idiots or something along those lines. And I found it hilarious people were complaining about authoritarianism coming from the republicans when the Democrats have been a lot more guilty of that than the republicans.

i just don’t understand the hate for trump, bush/Obama weren’t this hated, and they both (especially Bush) sucked.

I largely agree with what Helz said, but I don’t feel like being nice just because generally I’m a cunt and I don’t feel lik shutting up. I shut up all the time to avoid conflict with people. Not gonna shut up online too
    Well here is the paper if you want to look at it, it's not even really been published so I'm not sure why anybody is reporting about it.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1

"Participants were recruited using Facebook ads"
    Only testing people who specifically sought out testing? A biased dataset that is basically useless IMO.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

2. ISO #52
    Ganelon

Re: lmaooo anyone who still supports trump is actually a genuine fucking dumbass

I agree it’s not exactly rocket science and that it’s a flawed study, but I don’t think it should be so difficult to find it lmao

3. ISO #53

I agree it’s not exactly rocket science and that it’s a flawed study, but I don’t think it should be so difficult to find it lmao
    Try doing the same search in an in-private browsing window and see if the results change.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

4. ISO #54

Correct me if I'm wrong as a non-American, but both parties share an ideology that is more or less the same: be against leftist movements in general, try to keep power as every government will do, attack the other party, favor free market and richer people. The only actual change is that Trump is a special guy, who actually made the Democrats look really good because of... his presence. I think it otherwise comes down to what Helz said: "both parties are two sides of the same disgusting coin".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

5. ISO #55
    Ganelon

They are most definitely not both right leaning. You can most easily tell this by looking st their candidates: Obama/Hillary Clinton and most importantly, Bernie Sanders. Bernie is almost a communist, hes really, really far left. Obama and Clinton were both progressive/socially liberal (e.g. Obamacare).

Trump is special because he’s the first truly right-wing (or conservative) leader in a relatively long time. It’s why everyone hates him, PLUS the media has become extremely important over the past20 years; they’re a lot more important than they were a while back.

wrt to authoritarianism, bc that’s what I found really bizarre, the Democrats’ record is far from clean: they tried to impeach Trump over reasons that are somewhat dubious, in a trial where no evidence was presented and where they basically blamed Trump over something Biden did. I cannot remember exactly what the media had to say about it but I remember reading the reasons the (senate?) gave for the impeachment and it had basically nothing to do with what the media were accusing trump of (I believe it had something to do with ‘securing the next election for himself’, or perhaps with the notion that what he did was unconstitutional, one of which was not even mentioned in the impeachment document).

second, IIRC they actually investigated the 2016 election and found evidence that, hold on to your hats, the Democrats has tampered with the election. I believe, though this is just from memory and I may be wrong, that they stopped the investigation at that point.

None of these points are exactly indicative of fair play on the Democrats’ part.

If you read the media, you’ll notice that they very often do the following thing; they don’t report the news, they just criticize trump. That website I linked is, in my opinion, how a real news article should be written: it’s impartial. It first described the study, mentioned some problems with it, and then argued that it still points to the notion that corona may be a lot more prevalent than previously thought.

meanwhile, many of the hits I got on google skipped the first step and started naming various scientists who criticized the study. The difference is, the first guys had a story to tell; the second had *their* story to tell.

same thing with the media. I’d encourage you to do your own research and not to listen to the unwashed masses on CNN/whatever because they really don’t know what they’re talking about. You cannot possibly claim to be impartial when your news article starts with ‘Fact Checking: President Trump 101. I’ll argue that this unfortunately also seems to occur on the republican side of things, although, as far as I’ve been able to tell, it’s less common there. And also less virulent. If you only listen to the media, you’ll get the feeling Teumpmonly does/says stupid shit, which I really don’t agree with.

6. ISO #56

True about Sanders, but he didn't win :P

Also, while you say I was brainwashed by CNN, I say you were brainwashed by an old billionaire screaming "FAKE NEWS" as soon as something doesn't fit his will.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

7. ISO #57
    Ganelon

Trump has done far more than the media has been willing to admit.
    He heavily pushed for women to be in the workplace for instance (this is before he became President).
    The reason Trump screams fake news so often is because they often really are fake news lol. For instance, everywhere you look they'll say Trump "dangerously" suggested Americans inject detergent/disinfectant into their veins to rid themselves of corona. He didn't say that all; he suggested it as a cure (and now he's saying he was sarcastic, but take that as you will). Plus, that was a press conference, much as Ceko pointed out, not an official statement by the White House. You could also argue that if someone is dumb enough to inject tide pods or whatever just bc Trump said it might work as a cure, that they're dumb enough to do all sorts of things.

Also, they accused Trump of racism when he started calling the virus "the Chinese virus"; now that its becoming more and more likely that China knew about the virus for a while before telling the rest of the world - and even that it may have escaped from one of their labs - and they tried to cover it up! But of course, nobody wants to mention that anymore because it would bite them in the ass, seeing as they said Trump was racist. FWIW, I don't think Trump was being racist there. China accused the US of introducing the virus into China (!); I think its perfectly natural to reply that way. Im pretty sure Trump wasn't saying Chinese(-Americans) were responsible for corona.

8. ISO #58
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    True about Sanders, but he didn't win :P

Also, while you say I was brainwashed by CNN, I say you were brainwashed by an old billionaire screaming "FAKE NEWS" as soon as something doesn't fit his will.
    True, he didn't win. I think not even the Democrats would want someone like Sanders in power.
    Hes way too red... nobody wants communism in America.

9. ISO #59

don't diss my boy Sanders.

How on earth is he even a commie? Dude just wants to give them a shittier NHS so they at least don't pay 100s of dollars to get a damn X-ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

10. ISO #60

Also, I agree with most of what Helz said, though I'm not sure a single-payer would be as disastrous as he suggests. The government would (hopefully) be held with much higher accountability for accepting pharma's prices than right now. And if everyone is on the system, it'd be much more noticable than vets getting shafted at the margins. Though I agree efforts to expand health insurance to more people are nonsense and just putting band aids on an already broken system.

With regards to Helz's views on the OP though, I think he's totally right that this is all political marketing BS to divert your attention from the shit that matters. Everyone involved benefits from the media focusing on superficial personality nonsense rather than the catastrophic policies Trump is enacting. I think a layer of nuance in Helz's views has been missed. He's not simply advocating for political apathy. He's acknowledging that not everything in the news should be news, and following all the asinine shit Trump says is unproductive.
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

11. ISO #61
    Ganelon

yah, I agree. my main problem was with oops' tone (I feel, really, really offended when someone says all Trump supporters are idiots); besides, I simply don't feel you can ever be so sure of something everyone else would automatically become a moron.

I do agree that the media is spewing a lot of BS just for the heck of it however, and like I said, I hate how difficult its become to find quality news.

12. ISO #62
    Ganelon

I actually don't think I would've commented or gone so gung-ho if it weren't for the tone.

13. ISO #63

bro are you tone policing him?

tho fr if a candidate advocated scrapping fossil fuel subsidies, it's not like I'd stop supporting them because their cure ideas are meme-level. At the end of the day we don't get to choose whether the politicians who represent our views are total dumbasses. This is a very shallow way of engaging with people.

14. ISO #64

15. ISO #65

16. ISO #66

They are most definitely not both right leaning. You can most easily tell this by looking st their candidates: Obama/Hillary Clinton and most importantly, Bernie Sanders. Bernie is almost a communist, hes really, really far left. Obama and Clinton were both progressive/socially liberal (e.g. Obamacare).

Trump is special because he’s the first truly right-wing (or conservative) leader in a relatively long time. It’s why everyone hates him, PLUS the media has become extremely important over the past20 years; they’re a lot more important than they were a while back.
    Trump is special because he is radically conservative. It's quite important in our view of politics today due to the Overton Window. Because his ideas are louder and more radical than other conservative words going around it makes the less radical conservative policies put forth seem more acceptable. For instance, we still don't have his proposed wall, nor has the US government made Mexico pay for it yet, but we do have stricter immigration policies.

Not everyone hates him, there are a bunch of Trump supporters, but he does grow dissent, even in his own party. Those that are opposed to his ideas also come within his own party (such as those are more center), but since they are "his" party they need to work with him if they want to enact policies acceptable to them.

Bernie Sanders is probably the most liberal politician in Washington. He has voted along with his party like 298/300 times (don't quote me on that). He is also very popular where I live Portland, Oregon. A lot of people here are Bernie supporters.

wrt to authoritarianism, bc that’s what I found really bizarre, the Democrats’ record is far from clean: they tried to impeach Trump over reasons that are somewhat dubious, in a trial where no evidence was presented and where they basically blamed Trump over something Biden did. I cannot remember exactly what the media had to say about it but I remember reading the reasons the (senate?) gave for the impeachment and it had basically nothing to do with what the media were accusing trump of (I believe it had something to do with ‘securing the next election for himself’, or perhaps with the notion that what he did was unconstitutional, one of which was not even mentioned in the impeachment document).
    I wouldn't claim directly that Trump is pushing for an authoritarian government, but he has definitely overstepped the boundaries of US law. In fact, he has been impeached (accused) and is the 3rd or 4th president in history to be impeached. If you don't think Bill Clinton and Nixon were special, then you should neither think Trump is special.

He wrote a letter/email/note to a high ranking official in Ukraine to soft-threaten him into looking into Biden so that he would have something to use against him in the next election. That is abuse of power. This evidence was not able to be brought up because of Senate Republicans voting along party lines to not incriminate Trump. Only two republicans dissented, one being Mitt Romney (rather famous for being center, and willing to make compromises) and the other somebody I forgot.

(my view) I don't think there is any real doubt whether or not Trump abused power. The vote was solely to demonstrate partisanship.

second, IIRC they actually investigated the 2016 election and found evidence that, hold on to your hats, the Democrats has tampered with the election. I believe, though this is just from memory and I may be wrong, that they stopped the investigation at that point.

None of these points are exactly indicative of fair play on the Democrats’ part.
    One side wrong does not make the other side right.
    This reminds me of when I talked to a member of my family about the Uyghurs in China being put into concentration camps. He countered that the US has killed loads of native people.
    Yes, the US killed many Native Americans AND China is putting native populations into concentration camps. Both are true.

Similarly, Democrats in government do bad things, Republicans in government do bad things. The badness of their doings are also relatively different and of different scale.

If you read the media, you’ll notice that they very often do the following thing; they don’t report the news, they just criticize trump. That website I linked is, in my opinion, how a real news article should be written: it’s impartial. It first described the study, mentioned some problems with it, and then argued that it still points to the notion that corona may be a lot more prevalent than previously thought.

meanwhile, many of the hits I got on google skipped the first step and started naming various scientists who criticized the study. The difference is, the first guys had a story to tell; the second had *their* story to tell.

same thing with the media. I’d encourage you to do your own research and not to listen to the unwashed masses on CNN/whatever because they really don’t know what they’re talking about. You cannot possibly claim to be impartial when your news article starts with ‘Fact Checking: President Trump 101. I’ll argue that this unfortunately also seems to occur on the republican side of things, although, as far as I’ve been able to tell, it’s less common there. And also less virulent. If you only listen to the media, you’ll get the feeling Teumpmonly does/says stupid shit, which I really don’t agree with.
    How Google presents information to you is a complex topic but at the base, aamirus is correct. It uses your search history to determine what to show you and is inherently biased BASED ON YOU. Google feeds many variables it collects about your searches (your search history, what you read, how long you read them...) and associates it statistically into program. This algorithm takes your sample set and tests it against what it guesses would interest you and spits out the results

IOW Google search bias is based on your bias.

So watch out for your own internet bubble.

This site really doesn't want me to post lol.

17. ISO #67

The reason Trump screams fake news so often is because they often really are fake news lol. For instance, everywhere you look they'll say Trump "dangerously" suggested Americans inject detergent/disinfectant into their veins to rid themselves of corona. He didn't say that all; he suggested it as a cure (and now he's saying he was sarcastic, but take that as you will). Plus, that was a press conference, much as Ceko pointed out, not an official statement by the White House.
    Where can I learn the power of these mental gymnastics. I've re-read this paragraph several times and I still can't pull it off.

Spoiler : :
    FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor

18. ISO #68

wrt to authoritarianism, bc that’s what I found really bizarre, the Democrats’ record is far from clean: they tried to impeach Trump over reasons that are somewhat dubious, in a trial where no evidence was presented and where they basically blamed Trump over something Biden did.
    Oh man dude I can't believe someone actually said this. No evidence was presented because the Republicans refused to hear witnesses during the trial and just wanted to expedite the trial because they had a majority in the Senate. How can you be using this argument unless you're blatantly misinformed or just plain arguing in bad faith?

I cannot remember exactly what the media had to say about it but I remember reading the reasons the (senate?) gave for the impeachment and it had basically nothing to do with what the media were accusing trump of (I believe it had something to do with ‘securing the next election for himself’, or perhaps with the notion that what he did was unconstitutional, one of which was not even mentioned in the impeachment document).
    He put pressure on the Ukrainian government to investigate Joe Biden over a conspiracy theory his supporters made up (that had no evidence to support it) and withheld 400 million in pre-approved foreign aid as a bargaining chip.

Bro this straight up didn't happen, are you just making stuff up?

yah, I agree. my main problem was with oops' tone (I feel, really, really offended when someone says all Trump supporters are idiots); besides, I simply don't feel you can ever be so sure of something everyone else would automatically become a moron.
    Not all Trump supporters are idiots; many are genuinely misinformed, some are cruel and malicious, and some are religious.

Authoritarianism and it's supporters deserve to be criticized and mocked. Historically, when authoritarianism grabs on with its filthy fingers, they (and others) get shot instead. I'd rather people have a sad now than die later.
    Last edited by oops_ur_dead; April 30th, 2020 at 02:38 AM.

19. ISO #69

Oh and truthfully I think on policy and general politics Helz and I agree quite a bit, if not fully. I guess our only point of disagreement is approach to our roles as citizens, pertaining to voting strategy and importance of recent issues. He's more of an idealist I suppose, and I'm more of a pragmatist. I'd much prefer a better system where we wouldn't have to make compromises, and I think, for the two of us, an ideal society would look very similar.

20. ISO #70
    Ganelon

The Republicans tried to bring in eight witnesses but the House of Rep. refused - saying they had nothing to do with the impeachment trial.
    Furthermore, there is actually no evidence that Trump abused his power - he did not threaten Ukraine, and the Ukrainian president himself said he didn't feel threatened.

Investigating a political candidate for corruption isn't a crime... what would be a crime would be to try to make up dirt on him. But, again, there is no evidence he did that. And the idea was to investigate Biden's son, for the most part.

No, that was not a "conspiracy theory" his supporters made up: https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...obe-is-revived

lastly, I appreciate that second passing/YZB are simply discussing this and not arguing about it. I really don't think politics should be important enough for people to hate each other about it; its just a difference of opinion. hell maybe you'll convince me otherwise or vice versa. or maybe not. still, they're probably not gonna be relevant 4 years from now so why fight about them? lol

21. ISO #71
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    Best part of the enigma that is Trump, he could have been a Democratic president. He was registered Democrat until 2009. Must have very little in common with a political platform if you can constantly switch sides as much as he did.
    Churchill, Reagan did that too.

22. ISO #72
    Ganelon

23. ISO #73

True, he didn't win. I think not even the Democrats would want someone like Sanders in power.
    Hes way too red... nobody wants communism in America.
    He's not a communist, he's just a social-democrat, which is what America would REALLY need (their health system is a joke for a supposedly democratic regime, and I don't know how schools are exactly but I don't think it's great either).

News exaggerate things for sure, but it doesn't make it less damn stupid to suggest INJECTING DISINFECTANT AS A CURE, and then trying to cover it up with "sarcasm" and "answering a question" that was never even asked. As for Trump being racist, you may be right (and I say that because I didn't check that much lately), but cumulating his behavior towards "other races", namely Mexicans, you can't say he isn't much more racist than your average president.

Also, I 100 % agree with Yzb. I didn't want to say I 100 % agreed with Helz because of the nuance part, but yzb nailed it really well.

24. ISO #74

The Republicans tried to bring in eight witnesses but the House of Rep. refused - saying they had nothing to do with the impeachment trial.
    Furthermore, there is actually no evidence that Trump abused his power - he did not threaten Ukraine, and the Ukrainian president himself said he didn't feel threatened.

Investigating a political candidate for corruption isn't a crime... what would be a crime would be to try to make up dirt on him. But, again, there is no evidence he did that. And the idea was to investigate Biden's son, for the most part.

No, that was not a "conspiracy theory" his supporters made up: https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...obe-is-revived

lastly, I appreciate that second passing/YZB are simply discussing this and not arguing about it. I really don't think politics should be important enough for people to hate each other about it; its just a difference of opinion. hell maybe you'll convince me otherwise or vice versa. or maybe not. still, they're probably not gonna be relevant 4 years from now so why fight about them? lol
    The entirety of the impeachment trial was total hot air.

Trump was letting 100s of Saudi officials stay in his Trump Tower days before a massive weapons deal. That kind of indirect bribery is meant to be a huge no-no in the constitution. Carter had to sell his peanut farm because the republicans of the time insisted it could create a conflict of interest. Meanwhile, Trump is literally taking millions through his hotel business from Saudi Arabia, just before a major weapons contract.

You know, Saudi Arabia? That country that's using said weapons to blow up hospitals and school buses in Yemen? The main exporter of weapons and goods to islamic fundamentalists alongside Iran? The one that executed feminist protesters for demonstrating for THE RIGHT TO DRIVE A CAR?

Kween Pelosi chose not to push an impeachment case of emoluments though, because she's also bought by Saudi Arabia. So instead they had to push for this extremely weak ass angle of attack where they were like "omg you delayed our financial support to our proxy war with Russia wtf D:". As if US officials have never aggressively negotiated for oppo research before.

25. ISO #75

Also, oops, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the Democrats hadn't tampered with the election at all. They're not less willing to win elections or to manipulate people, or at least not that much. Thinking they did everything fairly is most likely living in a democratic fairy tale

26. ISO #76

Also, oops, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the Democrats hadn't tampered with the election at all. They're not less willing to win elections or to manipulate people, or at least not that much. Thinking they did everything fairly is most likely living in a democratic fairy tale
    100% this. And the leaked DNC emails confirmed the democratic establishment was tampering with the 2016 democratic primary. Clinton literally had so many connections that she was getting fed all the debate questions beforehand, and the DNC (which is meant to host the election impartially) was constantly scheming ways to trip up Sanders.

Sanders ain't perfect mind you but call it what it is.

27. ISO #77

28. ISO #78
    Ganelon

He's not a communist, he's just a social-democrat, which is what America would REALLY need (their health system is a joke for a supposedly democratic regime, and I don't know how schools are exactly but I don't think it's great either).

News exaggerate things for sure, but it doesn't make it less damn stupid to suggest INJECTING DISINFECTANT AS A CURE, and then trying to cover it up with "sarcasm" and "answering a question" that was never even asked. As for Trump being racist, you may be right (and I say that because I didn't check that much lately), but cumulating his behavior towards "other races", namely Mexicans, you can't say he isn't much more racist than your average president.

Also, I 100 % agree with Yzb. I didn't want to say I 100 % agreed with Helz because of the nuance part, but yzb nailed it really well.
    I respect your support for Sanders but I really don't think he should be president. He has a pretty sketchy history with the Soviet Union (in the sense that he seemed to love them), and seems to really hat capitalism, which is somewhat ironic seeing as he is extremely rich himself. BTW, comparing healthcare, in the UK the NHS is a complete joke; see the quote below:
    "My father recently needed emergency heart surgery to prevent an imminent aortic aneurysm. He was offered the choice of £20k for private surgery or free NHS surgery with a wait so long (over a month) that he would probably die in the queue. And this is someone who has paid millions of pounds in taxes over his lifetime!When my mother was dying in agony from Parkinson’s disease the NHS said it wasn’t cost effective to give her pain relief. We were forced to obtain diamorphine (essentially heroin) illegally.

After my brother was brain damaged in a car crash (see Crash victim awarded record #1.2m damages

) the NHS delivered him home in a coma and left us to care for him. My father says he saw the NHS speech therapist slap my brother across the face as hard as she could while he was in recovery from severe brain damage.
    "
    Mexicans are not a race. Neither are the Haitians, El Salvador, or Africans (blacks are a race, but Africans are not).

29. ISO #79

30. ISO #80

I respect your support for Sanders but I really don't think he should be president. He has a pretty sketchy history with the Soviet Union (in the sense that he seemed to love them), and seems to really hat capitalism, which is somewhat ironic seeing as he is extremely rich himself. BTW, comparing healthcare, in the UK the NHS is a complete joke; see the quote below:
    "My father recently needed emergency heart surgery to prevent an imminent aortic aneurysm. He was offered the choice of £20k for private surgery or free NHS surgery with a wait so long (over a month) that he would probably die in the queue. And this is someone who has paid millions of pounds in taxes over his lifetime!When my mother was dying in agony from Parkinson’s disease the NHS said it wasn’t cost effective to give her pain relief. We were forced to obtain diamorphine (essentially heroin) illegally.

After my brother was brain damaged in a car crash (see Crash victim awarded record #1.2m damages

) the NHS delivered him home in a coma and left us to care for him. My father says he saw the NHS speech therapist slap my brother across the face as hard as she could while he was in recovery from severe brain damage.
    "
    Mexicans are not a race. Neither are the Haitians, El Salvador, or Africans (blacks are a race, but Africans are not).
    A lot of BS happens in the NHS. My uncle-in-law went to the NHS about lumps under his chin. NHS told him it was probably nothing to worry about. He went to Iran and found out it was cancer (he's fine now thankfully). My stepmum needed treatment for her shoulder pain, but the GP insisted she neeeded to see a chiropractor which made it much worse. There's a lot of situations of incompetence where they misdiagnose things or stall critical tests they deem unimportant, resulting in people dying who didn't need to. A lot of this is due to a policy of austerity the ruling party has instated for the last 10 years, which has severely cut funding for the NHS.

That said, that quote sounds crazy. I had a broken ankle and was able to get it seen after a couple days. My dad got his triple bypass surgery very quickly after his heart attack. If your issue is an emergency, you'll get priority and moved up the queue. If you need intensive care, you'll get intensive care. And even if our system is flawed, noone in their right mind wants the American system. A lot of our issues apply equally or doubly to theirs. 60,000 people die every year because they can't afford basic healthcare, but Americans as a whole still pay twice as much per capita on healthcare. People have to start gofundmes to pay for their life-saving treatment, because the pharmaceutical companies charge them 20x the rest of the world. The American system is used as a boogeyman by our political parties in arguments LOL.
    Last edited by yzb25; April 30th, 2020 at 06:42 AM.

31. ISO #81
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    The entirety of the impeachment trial was total hot air.

Trump was letting 100s of Saudi officials stay in his Trump Tower days before a massive weapons deal. That kind of indirect bribery is meant to be a huge no-no in the constitution. Carter had to sell his peanut farm because the republicans of the time insisted it could create a conflict of interest. Meanwhile, Trump is literally taking millions through his hotel business from Saudi Arabia, just before a major weapons contract.

You know, Saudi Arabia? That country that's using said weapons to blow up hospitals and school buses in Yemen? The main exporter of weapons and goods to islamic fundamentalists alongside Iran? The one that executed feminist protesters for demonstrating for THE RIGHT TO DRIVE A CAR?

Kween Pelosi chose not to push an impeachment case of emoluments though, because she's also bought by Saudi Arabia. So instead they had to push for this extremely weak ass angle of attack where they were like "omg you delayed our financial support to our proxy war with Russia wtf D:". As if US officials have never aggressively negotiated for oppo research before.
    interesting, where'd you hear about that? I've not heard of Trump consorting with Arabia; which sounds p strange considering he's pretty mad about terrorism.

32. ISO #82
    Ganelon

oh boi what have I done.
    I think I've created a major political discussion.

33. ISO #83

The Republicans didn't call any witnesses in the trials, they called witnesses in the inquiry. And they were, indeed, irrelevant. All the witnesses they called were relevant to Hunter Biden's alleged misconduct, when it's entirely besides the point whether or not he did anything wrong. It would have been political theatre by the Republicans to pull more wool over their supporters' eyes.

Nobody said that investigating Biden's son is a crime, that is a complete misunderstanding of the whole point. The impeachment was around Trump withholding aid and using other political intimidation to push Ukraine to investigate the Bidens for supposed wrongdoing. And it doesn't matter whether the Ukrainian president claimed he felt threatened or not; a crime doesn't stop being a crime if the victim claims that it's fine. Even if he truly didn't feel threatened, it is absolutely unacceptable to set the precedent that political intimidation of this fashion is okay.

Looking back, I realize that I mistook the Biden allegations for being a conspiracy theory, when it seems that there is weight behind those allegations (albeit there hasn't been any evidence found of wrongdoing either, at least not enough to press charges). Trump also pressured Ukraine to investigate a conspiracy theory about Ukraine hacking the DNC servers and not Russia, which is unfounded. Regardless, it doesn't matter if the crime occurred or not. Nobody thinks that Trump's crime was simply asking Ukraine to investigate Biden, that's a very disingenuous framing of the entire issue.

34. ISO #84

35. ISO #85
    Ganelon

SJ!!!!!!11!one

36. ISO #86

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Oh and truthfully I think on policy and general politics Helz and I agree quite a bit, if not fully. I guess our only point of disagreement is approach to our roles as citizens, pertaining to voting strategy and importance of recent issues. He's more of an idealist I suppose, and I'm more of a pragmatist. I'd much prefer a better system where we wouldn't have to make compromises, and I think, for the two of us, an ideal society would look very similar.
    I feel like this is very fair. I like that we were able to take different positions on a subject as hairy as politics without ever touching ad hominem. I do still feel that news organizations as a whole hide their opinions behind purported facts and have trouble seeing the right as creating a narrative of anti-voting; but its something I will probably have to read into for a very long time before I can say I have a really valid opinion on the matter.

On the subject of Google's bias its 100% a thing. Google as a company leans hard left. There was a scholarly journal I read a few years back that questioned if it was appropriate for search platforms to curve results and its abstract specifically mentioned how if you created a new account and searched the word 'news' on google the first 8 or 9 results were all left leaning news sources. For anyone that doesn't want to accept that just look at demonetization practices on youtube in relation to political viewpoints.

I also push hard against calling the impeachment charade a 'trial'. A trial has structured law, burdens of proof, professionals who understand legal structure and above all- a Judge or Jury to decide on the matter. The impeachment farce was nothing more than a bunch of window licking politicians saying what they think and then arguing about if what they said is factual because they said it.
    I think its disgusting and offensive to our legal system to give that circus any measure of the respect that trials command and I like to push this position when I can.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

37. ISO #87

38. ISO #88
    Ganelon

I think the saddest part about the thread is that politics has to be such a contentious issue when the only moment when your political leanings matter is when you vote.

39. ISO #89

interesting, where'd you hear about that? I've not heard of Trump consorting with Arabia; which sounds p strange considering he's pretty mad about terrorism.
    https://gyazo.com/03dd6c8867ed22a020fcfa0356327e38

I don't know if you trust politifact but I generally find their assessments to be quite objective:

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...mp-hotels-yes/

"The Foreign Agent Registration Act report mentions at least one filing which clearly shows that the Saudi government spent $270,000 at the Trump International Hotel for lodging and boarding expenses between October 2016 and March 2017. It’s not clear whether the entire expenses were paid before or after Trump became president. Our research showed it was some of both."

A few months afterward Trump made a major weapons deal with the Saudis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_U...abia_arms_deal

40. ISO #90

I don't know if you trust politifact but I generally find their assessments to be quite objective:

"The Foreign Agent Registration Act report mentions at least one filing which clearly shows that the Saudi government spent $270,000 at the Trump International Hotel for lodging and boarding expenses between October 2016 and March 2017. It’s not clear whether the entire expenses were paid before or after Trump became president. Our research showed it was some of both."

The UK also sells the Saudis tonnes of arms, for those who care about our little island. And I think people are reasonably sure Saudi was funnelling arms to ISIS a few years back.

41. ISO #91

I think the saddest part about the thread is that politics has to be such a contentious issue when the only moment when your political leanings matter is when you vote.
    Im not sure that I understand this position. Do morals only matter when they are exercised?

I think belief systems and values hold value because when they are shared they can alter perspective. Simple things like this thread on a forum where we are talking about our political views can help to open our minds and change the way we think about the issues we face as a society. I feel like the existence of our values and beliefs holds intrinsic value. That its the predominate defining characteristic of our existence.

In a word- I believe sharing my perspective and beliefs with others holds greater value than voting because of the direct impact it can have on others lives. Reaching out to another human being and letting them understand how you see them and feel about them keeps us from being alone. I can't imagine life without that.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

42. ISO #92

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    *sips tea*
    what the fuck
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

43. ISO #93

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    what the fuck
    It's the most underrated post of this thread

44. ISO #94

Bernie is almost a communist
    At some point I hope we get an actual communist candidate so people can understand that having an actual universal healthcare system is NOT communism. It's getting the country to where we need it.

I would've voted for Bernie if he made it through. I would probably vote for Biden if he selects Warren as his VP. If he doesn't then I really don't know where my vote belongs in this election. I feel like neither candidate represents my political thoughts. They're both old white dudes who offer opinions where they aren't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

45. ISO #95
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Im not sure that I understand this position. Do morals only matter when they are exercised?

I think belief systems and values hold value because when they are shared they can alter perspective. Simple things like this thread on a forum where we are talking about our political views can help to open our minds and change the way we think about the issues we face as a society. I feel like the existence of our values and beliefs holds intrinsic value. That its the predominate defining characteristic of our existence.

In a word- I believe sharing my perspective and beliefs with others holds greater value than voting because of the direct impact it can have on others lives. Reaching out to another human being and letting them understand how you see them and feel about them keeps us from being alone. I can't imagine life without that.
    I'll rephrase. I think it's sad that we have to hate each other for our political views. I think that the chance you're going to convince someone of your views is much higher if you don't resort to personal attacks; discuss the idea, not the person upholding it.

46. ISO #96
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    At some point I hope we get an actual communist candidate so people can understand that having an actual universal healthcare system is NOT communism. It's getting the country to where we need it.

I would've voted for Bernie if he made it through. I would probably vote for Biden if he selects Warren as his VP. If he doesn't then I really don't know where my vote belongs in this election. I feel like neither candidate represents my political thoughts. They're both old white dudes who offer opinions where they aren't needed.
    I'm not so sure about that. According to this website: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...me-a-communist
    Bernie was investigated by the FBI at one point for ties to a far left party (the Socialist Workers' Party). A bit of hearsay, but it says that he used to hang pamphlets from revolutionary parties on his wall in his office, while mayor of Burlington.
    Plus, he honeymooned in the Soviet Union.

So, it isn't just his healthcare plan that makes me think he's a communist.

All this coupled with his far-left rhetoric (billionaire class, the top 1%, etc), put him somewhere far to the left in the political spectrum.

Lastly, why do you find the fact that they're 'old white dudes' an issue? :P
    Last edited by ; May 3rd, 2020 at 04:14 PM.

47. ISO #97
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    Trump is special because he is radically conservative. It's quite important in our view of politics today due to the Overton Window. Because his ideas are louder and more radical than other conservative words going around it makes the less radical conservative policies put forth seem more acceptable. For instance, we still don't have his proposed wall, nor has the US government made Mexico pay for it yet, but we do have stricter immigration policies.

Not everyone hates him, there are a bunch of Trump supporters, but he does grow dissent, even in his own party. Those that are opposed to his ideas also come within his own party (such as those are more center), but since they are "his" party they need to work with him if they want to enact policies acceptable to them.

Bernie Sanders is probably the most liberal politician in Washington. He has voted along with his party like 298/300 times (don't quote me on that). He is also very popular where I live Portland, Oregon. A lot of people here are Bernie supporters.

I wouldn't claim directly that Trump is pushing for an authoritarian government, but he has definitely overstepped the boundaries of US law. In fact, he has been impeached (accused) and is the 3rd or 4th president in history to be impeached. If you don't think Bill Clinton and Nixon were special, then you should neither think Trump is special.

He wrote a letter/email/note to a high ranking official in Ukraine to soft-threaten him into looking into Biden so that he would have something to use against him in the next election. That is abuse of power. This evidence was not able to be brought up because of Senate Republicans voting along party lines to not incriminate Trump. Only two republicans dissented, one being Mitt Romney (rather famous for being center, and willing to make compromises) and the other somebody I forgot.

(my view) I don't think there is any real doubt whether or not Trump abused power. The vote was solely to demonstrate partisanship.

One side wrong does not make the other side right.
    This reminds me of when I talked to a member of my family about the Uyghurs in China being put into concentration camps. He countered that the US has killed loads of native people.
    Yes, the US killed many Native Americans AND China is putting native populations into concentration camps. Both are true.

Similarly, Democrats in government do bad things, Republicans in government do bad things. The badness of their doings are also relatively different and of different scale.

How Google presents information to you is a complex topic but at the base, aamirus is correct. It uses your search history to determine what to show you and is inherently biased BASED ON YOU. Google feeds many variables it collects about your searches (your search history, what you read, how long you read them...) and associates it statistically into program. This algorithm takes your sample set and tests it against what it guesses would interest you and spits out the results

IOW Google search bias is based on your bias.

So watch out for your own internet bubble.

This site really doesn't want me to post lol.
    I find that a very strange explanation because I've never searched anything like "Corona is bad" or whatever. I've always doubted it was as serious as they claimed it to be, hence why I'd find the idea of Google showing me results that I don't want to find (and that I've practically never googled) bizarre.

I don't doubt the algorithm for determining the search hits is complex, but I'm not so sure we can put it down to something as simple as my search history.

48. ISO #98
    Ganelon

Then again I suppose it's possible people who Google things like "Coronavirus fatality rate" or whatever might usually be looking for THOSE kinds of results?
    Meh. Fuck Google anyways.

49. ISO #99
    Ganelon

It does say he did it to undermine Iran's position (iirc Iran and Saudi Arabia don't like each other very much).
    but interesting nonetheless. makes me wonder what Saudi Arabia does with that money.
    Is Saudi Arabia anti-Israel?

50. ISO #100

I'm not so sure about that. According to this website: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...me-a-communist
    Bernie was investigated by the FBI at one point for ties to a far left party (the Socialist Workers' Party). A bit of hearsay, but it says that he used to hang pamphlets from revolutionary parties on his wall in his office, while mayor of Burlington.
    Plus, he honeymooned in the Soviet Union.

So, it isn't just his healthcare plan that makes me think he's a communist.

All this coupled with his far-left rhetoric (billionaire class, the top 1%, etc), put him somewhere far to the left in the political spectrum.

Lastly, why do you find the fact that they're 'old white dudes' an issue? :P
    I have to say those points compared to the rest of his life are incredibly picky. It's like finding a cat hair on someones jacket and come to the conclusion that they fuck cats.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016