Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like the Cultist?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 57.89%
  • Not really

4 21.05%
  • No

4 21.05%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Do you like the Cultist?

The cult doesn't really have any designed interactions with the mafia or triad either, I think that's part of why it feels incomplete. The cult is helpless against the mafia and can often screw itself by getting locked into a feud with the town (which often tunnels on cult when they find out about it), even though mafia is the greater threat.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    If an entire faction is created around Cult as it currently stands, Cult is severely under powered to stand as full fledged faction and quite frankly does not deserve to be it's own faction (Cultist and Witch Doctor lol). Optimally it would probably just replace the Neutral Evil slot and yay nothing has changed. It's still the same fucky role as it was before it just has been separated from Neutral Evil spawn chance. So now the dilemma is how do we bring this faction to a satisfactory position on par with Town roles as well as Mafia/Triad roles? New roles? Okay well that needs to be discussed in depth and is NOT an easy task. Each role will take considerable development time as well as balance testing.

Moving Cult as it currently stands into it's own faction does not solve it's issues, if anything it exacerbates things. Cult as a whole needs to be overhauled.
    A large part of the current push to put cult in their own faction is to stop cult from secretly spawning. I think it's completely fine to have cult have a random chance of appearing in certain slots - the main issue is people not knowing during the setup phase whether cult is enabled or not.

Of course, if players adopt frinckles' standard 933 and 8331 saves, then that should solve the problem of knowing if cult can exist or not. If someone chooses a custom save but it's still 933 or 8331 there would be a good chance they are adding cult chance to their save, and people can spam -default.
    Last edited by aamirus; February 5th, 2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

It's the most vocal opinion yeah but it's defs not the real issue with Cult. People don't like Cult being hidden, so they want it to be a separate faction. Why do they not like it being hidden? Because the role is broken. It's either shit or over powered. Why is it shit or over powered? Poor design for the current iteration of the game. How do we fix it? Overhaul. Simply moving it to it's own faction fixes nothing.

If Cult was designed better I doubt the outcry of them being a hidden spawn would be as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Hopefully action (or inspiration for future mechanics, both new and tweaked ones) will be taken from this official poll from the developer who's asking the community what they want. If your wishes do not align with the community's, well, sorry, but the game is made for the community. Also, everyone can make an account, it's free and easy, so if the people who do not appear in here because they don't want to take 5 minutes to vote, it's their problem lol.
    If cultist is it's own faction, won't it require more Roles?

Also on that thought, Masons would need to be their own faction is its a group as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

I am glad that the distinction has been noticed between cult and cultist.

We know there was some sort of planned dynamic similar to town of Salem's coven. Something different from mafia and flavored accordingly. But combining the two sounds extremely unfeasible. I'm wondering if two new factions, one including only Cultist would be necessary.

I think WD needs "become cultist if alone" passive like mafia/triad has.

Cult is well-balanced as only evil faction in the setup. Sh1t happens then we have some mafia+cult or triad+cult saves, that leaves town no chance to win without some earlygame luck. Cult setups without mafia like Dark Herecy or my own 942 works great.
    Last edited by Zedus; February 6th, 2020 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocist View Post
    If cultist is it's own faction, won't it require more Roles?

Also on that thought, Masons would need to be their own faction is its a group as well, right?
    No. The goal of Masons is to help town by having townies that are confirmed to eachother, not to "counter cult", even though that's what it has evolved into. By the way, if Cult is to be nerfed in its OP situations and buffed in its UP situations, Masons could have their cult-stomping skills put as an option instead of a standard unmovable setting (but that will probably be unpopular, and people will scream that they're useless).

If cult is its own faction (which it deserves to be even in its current state), it could use a Coven-ish cult as Frinckles said, indeed. However, saying that it fixes nothing is not true: it could still remove the issue of it being randomed as an neutral, which it still isn't. It's not more of a neutral in FM or ToS, by the way. Obviously, making the role better by itself is the best thing to do. It just doesn't exclude making it its own faction, at least eventually, when more roles will be added to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    I want to drink your blood, vomit it out, and then spell out the words "FAKE BITCH" with it

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    If cult is its own faction (which it deserves to be even in its current state), it could use a Coven-ish cult as Frinckles said, indeed. However, saying that it fixes nothing is not true: it could still remove the issue of it being randomed as an neutral, which it still isn't. It's not more of a neutral in FM or ToS, by the way. Obviously, making the role better by itself is the best thing to do. It just doesn't exclude making it its own faction, at least eventually, when more roles will be added to it.
    Again, to clarify. I'd like cult in it's own faction.

I dont see a world where I can add power roles to that faction, however. It would be Cultist exclusively with the option to add more.. Cultists.

A separate Spooky Ooky Witch Doctor faction with whatever power roles in it would be separate in that instance and would not contain Cultist.

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    ToS and ToL both have cult faction with cult roles. It's doable. I've even seen ToS games work fine with town vs mafia vs cult setups. If we make cult its own faction without supplementary roles for it, it solves nothing. The role will still be a runt role that will see even less play time
    Okay, well how would in your own words design cult better?

Add power roles to it so it can stand on its own legs for starters. Then it can be it's own faction. There is a plethora of roles to draw inspiration from. ToS Medusa, old Spy. If conversion mechanic stays then it needs to be hard capped at 3 successful conversions. Converted players gain some sort of cult role in the same vein as their town role (town invest == cult invest, veteran == medusa).

Obviously this is just spit balling so it's not perfect. If we don't want the conversion mechanic then literally just look at ToS. Cult can be an alternative to Mafia/Triad or even spawn in the same game as them.

Cult has a lot of options to be discussed

One of the most fundamental parts of the game is consistency of alignment. To me, it is as important as the dead staying dead. There are two exceptions outside of cult to switching alignment:
    Auditor + Bus = Stump (imo should be removed, should be scumbag)
    Amnesiac ( questionable)

The cult changing alignments of town really screws with the balance of a game where they slip in due to an incompetent save creator allowing them to spawn as a so called 'neut'. Totally broken.

Why not just add a resurrection function to allow the dead to come back? Oh wait, that would be broken.

The arguments to the effect of 'too hard', 'always been like this', are laughable. That doesn't mean cult is not broken.

Remove the cult until it can be fixed.

And you all take faction too literally. What I mean is that in the role list, if you want cult, it should show Cultist. They should not spawn as neutral. Most (all?) Other neuts can win with a combination of roles. Cult needs to take out many more roles.

I've yet to see a good defense for this BROKEN mechanic, and Marshellow, this forum is an echo chamber and circles like this are probably how broken cult was conceived in the first place!