Challenge: Makes These Roles Work
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Challenge: Makes These Roles Work

Hopefully, I'm wrong. But I myself deem it impossible making a setup with these 2 working:

Publishing Cop
    You can choose once per game to investigate someone if they are a member of the Mafia.
    Because you are a sheriff and payed with tax money, your investigation results are made public.
    Mafia Publisher
    You can once per game publish a fake announcement whether someone is member of mafia or not.

The PROBLEM, as I see it (am I wrong?):

• For the PC to not be overpowered - the setup requires the MP counterpart.
    • The MP needs to claim PC when using his power. And as such - the setup requires(yes?) a guaranteed Tailor(as one that was in Mags game) whenever a MP is randed.
    • Since no MP would ever announce "Mafia is Mafia" - a suspicious player would become Confirmed whenever the Town chooses to Lynch the MP.

The 2nd one isn't a problem. But 1+3 means that the MP is a problematic role (alsi, they can only use their power at mylo, right?) which also is a necessary role.

I can imagine that maybe I'm thinking about this "balance issue" too simplistically. For example, players like Frinckles can adapt to situations well as Mafia i think, so it's no biggie. But like... the way I see it - a setup with these 2 roles makes the game for Mafia harder for no other reason than someone putting those roles in the setup.

The roles are from here: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cop
    A Publishing Cop functions as a normal Cop, but its results are presented anonymously by the moderator to the game as a whole. This has been subverted by allowing the Mafia to publish fake results as if they were coming from a Publishing Cop.
    Sadly no links to a working setup.

Do you agree? Is it hard to make these roles work in a setup? They just seem so fun tbh.
    Last edited by OzyWho; December 2nd, 2019 at 09:06 AM.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Challenge: Makes These Roles Work

The MP seems to be able to publish that anyone is anything, so point 3 is not true.

Point 1 is debatable. In a hidden setup, the town role alone could be very useful.

The roles are simply variants of a normal alignment cop, with more power. It fits with less setups (only experimental ones, honestly), but I don't think it never has its place.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    The MP seems to be able to publish that anyone is anything, so point 3 is not true.

Point 1 is debatable. In a hidden setup, the town role alone could be very useful.
    I think you're now speaking in technical, not in practical.
    The only time that MP would announce "Mafia is Mafia" for wifom - it's when they would fully expect to get lynched themselves. Not only is it extremely unlikely that a Mafia would go for that gamble, but also in scenarios when the MP would get 100% lynched the next day - nobody would care what wifom announcement the MP makes. And thats the BEST scenario?

Very useful indeed... very useful. Maybe overpowered useful?

The challange was "make a setup where the role is good" - you responded with "there can be setups where the role is good"... I mean..
    Last edited by OzyWho; December 2nd, 2019 at 07:49 PM.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I think you're now speaking in technical, not in practical.
    The only time that MP would announce "Mafia is Mafia" for wifom - it's when they would fully expect to get lynched themselves. Not only is it extremely unlikely that a Mafia would go for that gamble, but also in scenarios when the MP would get 100% lynched the next day - nobody would care what wifom announcement the MP makes. And thats the BEST scenario?

Very useful indeed... very useful. Maybe overpowered useful?

The challange was "make a setup where the role is good" - you responded with "there can be setups where the role is good"... I mean..
    I mean, I'm not going to make a setup with the role(s) in RIGHT NOW in this thread lol, maybe later. It'd be an experiemental setup, as I said.

Also, announcing Mafia is Mafia would be a good WIFOM play because of your exact assumption

It's indeed really strong, but in a setup with, for example, a strongman kill or a double mafia kill by some way (additional gunner or similar), it would not be THAT strong. Only one shot of confirming people as town.

The one thing I dislike is that it outs mafia publicly with little chance to come back from it (you have to claim that there's a mafia publisher on you). I could see a "godfather-y" role that has detection-immunity, and that would be seen as Town by the publisher cop.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    The one thing I dislike is that it outs mafia publicly with little chance to come back from it (you have to claim that there's a mafia publisher on you). I could see a "godfather-y" role that has detection-immunity, and that would be seen as Town by the publisher cop.
    Ohh, that's a good point. I didn't think of that.
    It actually makes the PC role quite anti fun..

And yeah, that godfather idea is pretty good too. Maybe even a must.

But fuck man. I really didn't think about how anti fun that role actually is..

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Efekannn02 View Post
    Distrustful Citizen
    You are a simple Citizen but if atleast 4 town roles die you turn into neutral and leave the city instantly and also the game and automatically become a winner in the game
    Efe that's a boring role.
    Just claim it at the start and a guaranteed win..

9. ISO #9

If you randomized the number of publishers that are town / mafia you could create much more scenarios. You'd have to give handicaps / bonuses to mafia teams depending on how many publishers they have, like extra kills.

Alternatively or additionally, you could make it so that when a mafia and a town publish on the same day, only the town's result is displayed but the finding is flipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Why not just make it a hidden slot and say there's either a mafia publisher or a publishing cop?

Apart from that, from my pov it seems like the mp could just easily frame someone n1 and coast through a panicking town with little effort from his ability. A cc day 1/2 would only be needed if the real cop got a mafia result night 1, too, or if town can heal and maf has no way of combatting that. Though that probably wouldn't be good for a setup with this role to begin with.

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Efe that's a boring role.
    Just claim it at the start and a guaranteed win..
    Crazy Loser: You may attack someone at night but there is a 50% chance you will fail and a 40% chance a random person will die instead and a 10% chance you succeed with your kill

If you dont manage to kill your target at night then your role is revealed to the public and you get blackmailed and you get automatically lynched at day end
    I Like Ice Cream

13. ISO #13

This had an interesting thought process
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

14. ISO #14

This setup is the WIP child of the present thread, btw.